PS4-Infamous

Sly Cooper Animated Film Revealed

Brad Foxhoven's Avatar + Posted by Brad Foxhoven on Jan 28, 2014 // Producer

We’re thrilled to announce our next CG animated film: Sly Cooper.

Based on one of PlayStation’s most beloved franchises, Sly Cooper is a kinetic and comedic heist film that tells the story of Sly Cooper, an orphaned raccoon thief, and the adventures of his childhood friends and partners in crime, Bentley Turtle and Murray Hippo. In the film, Sly learns that he comes from a long line of talented, international thieves, and is catapulted into a global adventure. Sly races to reassemble pieces of an ancient book holding the Cooper clan’s family secrets before it can fall into the hands of Clockwerk — an evil metallic owl bent on ending the Cooper family line.

In the trailer, what really stands out to us — and most likely to the fans — is the change in the look of the characters and the world.

When we met with PlayStation to discuss the film last year, we proposed that the CG art style would transfer best in the leap to the big screen. Both PlayStation and Sucker Punch Productions (the original creators of the franchise) were kind enough to give us the chance to make this idea a reality. After a few months of development, the team at Rainmaker, along with Director Kevin Munroe, nailed it. Well, kind of…

The modeler gave Bentley the wrong helmet, which was more like a motorcycle helmet — funny, but definitely NOT his signature one. And while we all loved the temp music track — which happened to be the theme to Mission Impossible — that music would have cost us a fortune to license. With those quirks worked out, we’re excited to bring you this first look and hope you enjoy it.

The Sly Cooper release is slated for 2016. The film will also be released in 3D for those who want to feel like they’re in the actual Sly Cooper world.

Oh, and be sure to follow us online at our website and on Twitter — we’ll be releasing a 3D version of the teaser soon.

PAGE 1 2

+ UndreyVITA on January 28th, 2014 at 6:02 am said:

I CANNOT WAIT!

But Sly’s voice :(. Kevin Miller can’t be replace.

+ G-Force08 on January 28th, 2014 at 6:04 am said:

+ Kleyson Melo on January 28th, 2014 at 6:10 am said:

Can’t wait!! :-)

+ Unit68matthew on January 28th, 2014 at 6:19 am said:

Looks really cool!

+ PZDugna on January 28th, 2014 at 6:19 am said:

and now all we need is a Jak and Daxter movie and we are set for PS2 heroes :D

+ SlyCooperFan100 on January 28th, 2014 at 6:22 am said:

Sly’s voice sounds very similar to Kevin Miller, but if it truly isn’t him, then that’s a major blow to this movie already. It sounds like Matt Olsen and Chris Murphy are reprising their roles, so I wouldn’t see why the trio wouldn’t be there.

I’m kind of surprised that a movie company that has worked on mostly Barbie movies for the past seven years got clearance for this, but I’ve never seen any of them, so this will be my first exposure to Rainmaker Entertainment. (Not to Kevin Munroe, though. Definitely loved Hey Arnold!)

All in all, I’m not completely sold yet, but I really do hope this will be a good film! (Although we still need Ghostbot to make an animated series!)

Brad Foxhoven's Avatar

+ Brad Foxhoven on January 28th, 2014 at 1:38 pm said:

Hi There – Wanted to say that it’s a completely different team. We (Blockade) helped bring in new talent for the film to make sure it was to the level we all want to see on the big screen!

+ XwingVmanX on January 28th, 2014 at 6:28 am said:

Disappointed they its not the same voice actor for Sly, and the more realistic CG is a little odd, but I can see myself getting used to it. Overall the trailer feels like they are capturing the feel of the games which I think is the most important.

Idk, maybe I am speaking too soon, but I feel like Sony might finally break the mold of bad movie adaptations of video games with this and the Ratchet and Clank movie.

+ remanutd5 on January 28th, 2014 at 6:43 am said:

A new Sly Cooper game coming to ps4/psvita confirmed :D i cant wait to watch the movie, its about time sony started to take advantage of all their great playstation characters, how about a God of War movie starring Vin Diesel? Anyways i hope playstation fans get exclusive premier on psn. Sony should really consider a playstation tv channel.

Brad Foxhoven's Avatar

+ Brad Foxhoven on January 28th, 2014 at 1:39 pm said:

Thanks – we love those same ideas!

+ remanutd5 on January 28th, 2014 at 6:44 am said:

Oh and whats up with Murray? for some reason he looks weird to me.

+ cool_trainer on January 28th, 2014 at 6:50 am said:

Oh snap son. Can’t wait.

+ LuiSpartanMIMIMI on January 28th, 2014 at 6:51 am said:

I’m a really BIG fan of Sly Cooper franchise, having played all the games through PS2 to PS3/Vita, and I need to say that I’m disappointed with the characters’ design.

Sly doesn’t look like Sly(neither the voice!), and Murray doesn’t look like Murray(and the hippo is REALLY ODD!)

First of all, you need to guarantee the trio is back: Kevin Miller as Sly Cooper, Matt Olsen as Bentley, and Chris Murphy as Murray. If tha’ts OK, then 50% of the way to sucess is walked. (Imagine Kratos without the voice of T.C.’ Carson? It would be a disaster!)

Second, why not make the character design like the ones in Thieves in Time? I think that’s great, because Sly Cooper is a cartoon’ish franchise, not a realistic one.

Please take note on my hints, I just want THE BEST to one of my most beloved franchise.

Brad Foxhoven's Avatar

+ Brad Foxhoven on January 28th, 2014 at 1:42 pm said:

Thank you for the comment. We looked into the cel shaded style, but it just didn’t hold up on the big screen. For TV, sure – just not a theatrical film. Together, with Sucker Punch and Sony, we decided to go the CG route. Everyone was involved in this decision, and we all like the way its turning out.

We will continue to tweak and improve upon the characters as we enter production.

+ detictiveconan on January 28th, 2014 at 6:52 am said:

The art for all the characters is ugly and too realistic,Very much in the uncanny valley.Also Sly’s is not right. \

Not off to a good start so far.

+ detictiveconan on January 28th, 2014 at 6:53 am said:

*I meant Sly’s voice is not right.

+ Camjo-Z on January 28th, 2014 at 7:00 am said:

I hope there are plans to adjust the characters’ designs to be more in line with the games. These just don’t look right. Kevin Miller should also return as Sly, his voice was perfect. The animation and humor are looking good though, keep it up.

+ LuiSpartanMIMIMI on January 28th, 2014 at 7:14 am said:

Sucker Punch Productions and/or Sanzaru Games should have a supervision role in the movie. Please don’t let that be the final character design!

Brad Foxhoven's Avatar

+ Brad Foxhoven on January 28th, 2014 at 1:36 pm said:

Sucker Punch and Sony do have quite a bit of input, and approval over these designs. We appreciate the fans feedback, and will make sure to address them on into the production.

+ nYcFrEeWiLL82 on January 28th, 2014 at 7:18 am said:

2016…smh..that date is pathetic..for a 1 1/2 hour movie..looks great but im not exited about the release date

+ Hayterfan on January 28th, 2014 at 7:29 am said:

Not a big Sly fan but im pretty sure thats not Sly’s normal actor, and not really liking the realistic look of the cast, they almost look like they walked off one of those movies based off a cartoon but went the live action route for whatever reason (Scooby Doo, Garfield, Underdog, that failed Hong Kong Fuey movie)

Is Suckerpunch or Sanzaru acting as any kind of supervisor role?

Also get Bradley Cooper involved in the movie somehow, if only just for the laughs

+ TomHoang on January 28th, 2014 at 7:30 am said:

The animation looks pretty slick. Excited for this, Heavenly Sword and Ratchet & Clank!

Brad Foxhoven's Avatar

+ Brad Foxhoven on January 28th, 2014 at 1:39 pm said:

Thanks!!!!

+ StingrayX on January 28th, 2014 at 7:39 am said:

This looks pretty cool, can’t wait for it! Huge Sly Cooper fan here.

+ Hayterfan on January 28th, 2014 at 7:43 am said:

Anyone going to laugh if the Heavenly Sword, R&C, and Sly Cooper movies lead to some kind of Avengers-ish type announcement for a Playstation All Stars 2/Playstation All Stars Movie

Brad Foxhoven's Avatar

+ Brad Foxhoven on January 28th, 2014 at 1:43 pm said:

Well that would sure be interesting. Maybe Knack joins in…

+ Zudeo on January 28th, 2014 at 8:02 am said:

@20, that is an AWESOME idea! My gf and I play PlayStartion All-Stars all the time, although she’s not the best sport in the world lol. Either way, if they announced PSASBR 2 at E3 I’d be off the walls!

+ snakeeyes211 on January 28th, 2014 at 8:07 am said:

I think it looks amazing I can’t wait

+ StormTimber on January 28th, 2014 at 8:19 am said:

i’m peeing in my PANTS right now! (not actually though). first the ratchet and clank movie, then you announce a reboot of REboot, and now this! jeez, you must have a lot of work on your hands, Rainmaker! i wonder what you guys will do next, Spyro? CRASH?? (even though activation has those rights locked tighter then fort knox. lol). i can’t wait for these films!

+ Darth_NODlike on January 28th, 2014 at 8:22 am said:

This could be a fun movie. Looking forward to it.

+ Hayterfan on January 28th, 2014 at 8:24 am said:

@23 if Activision is going to make a Spyro or Crash movie I have a feeling they would hand it to Dreamworks, just a feeling though

+ FearMonkey on January 28th, 2014 at 8:46 am said:

The resdesigns for Sly and Bentley are fine to me. But Murray is all wrong. That needs to be fixed. I hope it can be fixed. Poor Murray. :(

+ Deadpoolian on January 28th, 2014 at 8:46 am said:

Cool to see that Sly is getting a movie too! The style will take some getting used to and maybe needs a bit more tweaking, but the writing/humor of the teaser definitely matches that of the games.

I wonder when we’ll get another trailer for the Ratchet movie. And I also wonder if Jak and Daxter will get a movie down the line. :D

+ Tankmen404 on January 28th, 2014 at 8:49 am said:

Lol the way sly said “I’m on it” Was pretty cool. By the way any news on the heavenly sword movie?

Brad Foxhoven's Avatar

+ Brad Foxhoven on January 28th, 2014 at 1:44 pm said:

News coming on Heavenly Sword!

+ Skywarrd on January 28th, 2014 at 8:50 am said:

Between this and the R&C movie, we see a big resurgence of character based 3D action platformers on the PS4. They could seriously look amazing and be really fun!

+ Figboy on January 28th, 2014 at 9:06 am said:

Can’t wait! Looking forward to Ratchet & Clank as well! It’s about time Sony got on the ball with turning some of these into films.

Now, how about that LittleBigPlanet cartoon done in the same vein as Captain N?

+ saintaqua on January 28th, 2014 at 9:22 am said:

This looks pretty good! I actually like this style for the characters, though Murray might take some getting used to.

+ Jak23ft on January 28th, 2014 at 9:28 am said:

I think it would be a lot better if it was in the 2d cutscene style of the games…

+ L1qu1dat1on on January 28th, 2014 at 9:34 am said:

I think sly is voiced by Ian Corlett, who voiced Cheetor in Beast Wars:)

I’m not 100% sure but it really sounds like him:)

This looks really good though!

+ SlyCooperFan100 on January 28th, 2014 at 9:47 am said:

Kevin Miller confirmed that he wasn’t asked to voice-act Sly Cooper. Now I’m preparing for disappointment. Not including the one and only Sly Cooper voice actor is a huge mistake.

+ Shadow_Enz on January 28th, 2014 at 9:52 am said:

Metal Gear Phantom Pain all over again.

The most important thing to a franchise is its main voice actor.

+ bt1234567892010 on January 28th, 2014 at 9:55 am said:

My jaw, was agape, the entire time. The design doesn’t bug me, honestly. It would be nice if the Thieves in Time approach was taken, to make it more cartoony like it’s supposed to be, I do agree that Sly’s original voice actor should voice him in the film, maybe he didn’t want to do it though. All in all, I wish this movie would be here before 2016, BUT, I suppose a 2 year additonal buffer would be helpful to iron out any issues that fans would have.

+ Welmosca on January 28th, 2014 at 9:56 am said:

Thats some great news….thank God its not a new game(at least I hope those rumors are not true)…as much as I like Sly and I’m a huge fan of it…its too soon for another game even to be announced…having said that…the movie looks epic…their faces looks weird and that ain’t good….Sly and Bentley are ok but Murray….oh man you guys need to change that…his face is awful…he looks 20 years more old than he actually look in the games….plus Sly’s voice….something’s fishy there.lol….anyway good job guys I can’t wait to see this movie…anything Sly related got me excited in a heartbeat.

PS:Bentley…the lens of his glasses should not be transparent,thats probably the reason why he does not look identical to the game.

+ RoyalXIII on January 28th, 2014 at 10:04 am said:

FINALLY! MURRY FINALLY HAS PANTS!

+ CrypticQuery on January 28th, 2014 at 10:41 am said:

The fact that my favorite franchise is receiving its very-own feature film is something that I find great joy in. The teaser trailer was great and certainly provided a good laugh, though I do have two concerns.

Why in the world is Kevin Miller not playing Sly in the trailer? His voice is so instantly paired with the character that it is completely ridiculous he has not been cast.

Murray’s character design is frightening. That neck-bulge really needs to be cut back on.

+ MrSignal on January 28th, 2014 at 10:56 am said:

Seeing as everyone seems to be hitting the points on the character designs, I’m gonna point out things in the plot summery.

Sly doesn’t discover his family is a legendary clan of thieves. He knows what they are. With his father telling him stories about them long before the Fiendish Five break into his life and kill his father.

Bentley and Murray were almost always his friends, building up a life long friendship in an orphanage. All the while telling them what he knew about his family’s history. That’s what made the first game special, it was his bonding with his friends while cementing what he just knew to be true. That those tall tales were as real as can be.

All while specifically targeting thieves for their heists.
As the only real prize belongs to those who themselves have stolen it.

+ Rezolution77 on January 28th, 2014 at 10:56 am said:

Sly Cooper was by far the best game I have played on the Vita system, for sometime.

Both I, and both of my younger sons enjoyed it.

The graphics were suitable to the vita system, and hope that there will be more games on the way.
(Not speaking of sequels, but other games made with this type of atmosphere, and gameplay)

Definitely worth a look.

+ xXFlyHiJayXx on January 28th, 2014 at 11:06 am said:

Nice, looks like it will be good. Now I would like a Jak & Daxter movie. If I can’t get a new game i’ll settle for a movie.

Brad Foxhoven's Avatar

+ Brad Foxhoven on January 28th, 2014 at 1:45 pm said:

We sure like Jak, too…

+ Icestar10 on January 28th, 2014 at 11:11 am said:

This looks cool! :)

+ Kchow23 on January 28th, 2014 at 11:17 am said:

If someone had told me that the original voice cast isn’t there… I really wouldn’t have known. Not sure about the look of the movie though but teaser trailer felt like Sly Cooper.

+ L1qu1dat1on on January 28th, 2014 at 11:22 am said:

Will people get over Kevin Miller already? lol He prob wanted a lot more money or has other things to do!

I prefer this voice anyways:)

+ DarthKognito on January 28th, 2014 at 11:24 am said:

I never really got into Sly Cooper, but I might see this. Sly sounds like he’s voiced by Ian James Corlett (Cheetor from Beast Wars, Bob from Reboot, Coconuts from the ’93 Sonic cartoon.). If he is, I wouldn’t mind seeing this.

+ djsaiyan on January 28th, 2014 at 11:56 am said:

A+. Will see in theatres. Will buy on blu-ray.

Now about Sly 5………

Brad Foxhoven's Avatar

+ Brad Foxhoven on January 28th, 2014 at 1:46 pm said:

And don’t forget to watch it on PSN! :)

+ Kchow23 on January 28th, 2014 at 12:14 pm said:

I think the teaser trailer looked a bit too shiny and thats what might look off a bout it and Sly has an odd look to him.

+ Gorvi on January 28th, 2014 at 12:21 pm said:

My kids are going to love this.

+ retro25 on January 28th, 2014 at 12:32 pm said:

Awesome, can’t wait to see that movie even Ratchet & Clank movie.

PAGE 1 2