PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

PlayStation Plus: Outlast and Metro: Last Light Free for Members

Kristine Steimer's Avatar + Posted by Kristine Steimer on Feb 03, 2014 // Sr. Community Specialist

We’re kicking off February with a little something for everyone, regardless of what PlayStation console(s) you own. PS4 owners can give themselves a good scare by nabbing Outlast, a survival horror game where you’ll play as a freelance journalist investigating a psychiatric hospital. Not really a job I’d take, but hey, times are tough. There’s no fighting back in Outlast, you can climb or hide, and that’s it, so proceed with caution. If you’re a PS3 owner, you’ll be able to explore post-apocalyptic Russia in Metro: Last Light. A first-person shooter with the option to be stealthy, your decisions throughout the game will impact the story’s outcome. Finally, our PS Vita Play sale also continues this week with Dustforce, which you can grab for $7.99.

You can download Outlast and Metro: Last Light after PlayStation Store updates tomorrow.

PS Plus 2-4-14

PlayStation Plus: Instant Game Collection

Outlast (PS4)

Free for PS Plus members

Outlast
Hell is an experiment you can’t survive in Outlast, a first-person survival horror game developed by veterans of some of the biggest game franchises in history. As investigative journalist Miles Upshur, explore Mount Massive Asylum and try to survive long enough to discover its terrible secret… if you dare.
Metro: Last Light (PS3)

Free for PS Plus members

Metro Last Light
It is the year 2034. Beneath the ruins of post-apocalyptic Moscow, in the tunnels of the Metro, the remnants of mankind are besieged by deadly threats from outside – and within. Mutants stalk the catacombs beneath the desolate surface, and hunt amidst the poisoned skies above. But rather than stand united, the station-cities of the Metro are locked in a struggle for the ultimate power, a doomsday device from the military vaults of D6. A civil war is stirring that could wipe humanity from the face of the earth forever. As Artyom, burdened by guilt but driven by hope, you hold the key to our survival – the last light in our darkest hour…

PlayStation Plus: Discounts

PS Vita PLAY Sale

Game Title PS Plus Price
Dustforce $7.99

Other Discounts

Game Title PS Plus Price Original Price
Adam’s Venture Chronicles $9.59 $11.99
Adam’s Venture Chronicles Sound Track Free $3.99

PlayStation Plus: Last Chance

Last Chance (Leaving on 2/11)

Instant Game Collection
Shadow of the Colossus (PS3)

Discounts
Dustforce
Curve Studios Mega Bundle
Ethan: Meteor Hunter

If you’ve got feedback on today’s Plus update make sure vote in the poll and leave a comment below. To discuss all things PlayStation, including this update, you can also head over to the PlayStation Community Forums where you’ll find topics you can contribute your thoughts to, or start one for yourself.

+ ASC2175 on February 3rd, 2014 at 9:38 am said:

I love how I buy most of these games on PC and they’re free on PS+ a month or so later…yay for replayability.

+ nolo451 on February 3rd, 2014 at 9:40 am said:

Outlast: Best content for me this week for sure.

+ boomstickbhg on February 3rd, 2014 at 9:51 am said:

Please stop with the horror/survival/creepy/etc… games.

And please never give us two in the same week.

Thank you.

+ ASC2175 on February 3rd, 2014 at 9:53 am said:

@53 We’ll you’ll be glad to know that Metro is not that good of a horror game, but it’s a damm good survival game.

+ SaberX85 on February 3rd, 2014 at 10:07 am said:

No plan for vita birthday sales?

+ DelicaGunz on February 3rd, 2014 at 10:14 am said:

My backlog is crazy since PS+ came to existence smh Not complaining but damn I need to clone myself to enjoy them all.

+ jeffsmither on February 3rd, 2014 at 10:20 am said:

Can we get some free classic ps1 games back. Maybe one a month.

+ boomstickbhg on February 3rd, 2014 at 10:21 am said:

I do hope Metro is good. I will give it a try.

But the theme/setting aren’t really my thing for either game this week. I don’t hate the genre(s), but I rarely enjoy it and we keep getting that style of game (particularly the PS4 indie games).

+ rafadosMY on February 3rd, 2014 at 10:25 am said:

Sales & discounts like this everyone should get a vita,im glad i bought mine ;D

+ DJPlace on February 3rd, 2014 at 10:41 am said:

loving tales of xilla when i bought it on sale. never played a tales game since Tales of Symphonia (both of them btw) i bought some DLC for tales also gotta save money for Ragnarok Odyssey ACE or Earth Defense Force 2025 can’t make up my mind.. also i know there’s a tales of Symphonia remake. may get that when i have the money… plus is not looking bad this month but i bought most of the games for it… also someone payed to 2018? wow… i payed to 2015. i got a free year from my cousin. he did not want his so yeah…

+ MakoSoul on February 3rd, 2014 at 10:43 am said:

Hoping for STRIDER next weeeeeek!

+ Bohtimore_Lean on February 3rd, 2014 at 10:44 am said:

so outlast will be on ps4 tomorrow?

Kristine Steimer's Avatar

+ Morgan Haro on February 3rd, 2014 at 10:54 am said:

yup

+ BlueBl1zzard on February 3rd, 2014 at 10:46 am said:

@Teflon02 Because Vita IGC games tend to come at the end of the month and PS3/PS4 IGC games come at the beginning of the month, it’s still technically the same amount of time of waiting regardless of console. It just feels longer (for vita games) because we know what we’re getting way ahead of time.

@SaberX85 good point.

The vita’s 2nd birthday is coming up in a few weeks, hopefully we’ll be seeing some awesome sales.

+ BlueBl1zzard on February 3rd, 2014 at 10:49 am said:

Regarding this week’s update, I’m excited for Metro, I’ve heard good things. And although I don’t have a PS4 yet, I’ll definitely be adding Outlast to my download list ;)
Thanks Plus team!

+ Roaming_Ryu on February 3rd, 2014 at 11:07 am said:

Morgan, do I need to play the first Metro to understand the story in Last Light?

+ Manually on February 3rd, 2014 at 11:07 am said:

This is why I love Sony. Great games for this week and month can’t wait to playthrough outlast and a great fps like metro last light

+ smelterguy on February 3rd, 2014 at 11:07 am said:

When is this being released in north america tom?

+ gmrfreak84 on February 3rd, 2014 at 11:09 am said:

Wow is the only word that describes the awesomeness that is coming tomorrow. I’ve been hesitant to play Outlast because it looks so terrifying, but I guess I have to play it now and have the pants scared off of me. Keep up the good work. You have another satisfied customer.

+ TYruler50 on February 3rd, 2014 at 11:17 am said:

Is it safe to assume payday 2 is next week?

+ D-Squad3 on February 3rd, 2014 at 11:25 am said:

PlayStation Plus, amazing how far it’s come.

+ CrusaderForever on February 3rd, 2014 at 11:38 am said:

Yes!! What an incredible PS+ week! Month for that matter! Thank you so much, cannot wait to try both of these games! :)

+ CraddaPoosta on February 3rd, 2014 at 11:45 am said:

I really should have bought several years’ worth of PS+ membership when GameStop had their Black Friday special where they were selling 1-year subscriptions for thirty bucks. Hopefully there will be another promotion like that again before my current subscription runs out in 2015.

+ ZolaCO on February 3rd, 2014 at 11:49 am said:

Dustforce finally! Will be picking it up even if there isn’t a discount for PS3 Plus Members. This game is amazing.
I also can’t wait for Tales of Symphonia Chronicles to be released later this month & with Metro: Last Light February is already shaping up to be be one great short month.

+ ninja_legend on February 3rd, 2014 at 11:55 am said:

I am really happy games like Metro, Binary Domain, and the soon to be Remember Me (as your preview indicated) are PS plus games. Games like Uncharted 3 and Bioshock are more the “of course I already have them.” kind of games. Nice to see that kind of wide selection. Keep it up!

+ ManicJest on February 3rd, 2014 at 12:08 pm said:

Dustforce for Vita? Yes, please! Glad I held off buying it on Steam since it will be perfect on the go! What a nice lineup of PS+ games this month as well.

+ Darkglobe1977 on February 3rd, 2014 at 12:16 pm said:

Can you please let who ever is in charge of such things know I (and I assume many others) would really love for the Vita 64gb memory card to be released in North America. I am on the verge of importing from Japan but it’s very pricey. Thanks!

+ ImCharming325 on February 3rd, 2014 at 12:21 pm said:

Another solid month for PS +. Seriously, thanks a ton Sony. Also Morgan, you seem like the nicest dude. Have a good week everyone!

+ BaByBOi831 on February 3rd, 2014 at 12:25 pm said:

Does anyone know the exact time the store updates?

I’m so stoked for Outlast! I haven’t played a scary game in a while and from the looks of it this game is going to scare the crap out of me 😳💩 Can we say crap on here?

Anyway, I’ll definitely be up all night tonight 😱

+ The_Dukenator on February 3rd, 2014 at 12:29 pm said:

@53 Not a chance. You don’t have to play them.

@16 Assassin’s Creed 1 has no trophy support.

@15 I was hoping for PSX/PS2 games free for PS+.

+ tgpumpkin on February 3rd, 2014 at 12:29 pm said:

Hi Morgan,

Thanks for the update. Overall I’m a huge fan of the service and am subscribed until 2017. I wanted to add my 2 cents from #42 and a few other thoughts. Overall, I agree with the sentiment that more of a balance of other genres must be considered. I know you guys have offered some okay sales on RPG’s in the past, but it’d be nice to see something in the IGC.

I represent a slightly older gamer (mid 30′s) with a family and would like to see some games on here I feel comfortable playing in front of my children. Kids having bedtimes until 8-8:30 leaves me precious little time to play any M rated games. They don’t have to be childrens games, but I do think they have to be safe enough that won’t give them nightmares. I’d venture to say you have a few of us who still play games that represent a healthy portion of your market.

You guys do a great job, but more diversification of genres and ratings couldn’t hurt.

+ JehovahsWitless on February 3rd, 2014 at 12:33 pm said:

I’d been hoping Metro would go free for Plus members, because I’m usually pretty gun shy (ha ha) about FPS games in general. After hearing such good things about it, I was figuring I’d get stuck buying it retail, so thanks a lot, Sony!

+ EGGS_ONE on February 3rd, 2014 at 12:35 pm said:

Awesome!!! Great update!!

+ EGGS_ONE on February 3rd, 2014 at 12:35 pm said:

Awesome!!! Looking forward to all these!

+ gold5225 on February 3rd, 2014 at 12:44 pm said:

Alright so a few words, to whomever it may concern at the PlayStation Store team or the PlayStation Plus team.

I get it, PlayStation wants to promote the PS3 side of PlayStation Plus without Giving away too many PS4 and PS Vita games. But really all one has to do is look at the PS Plus lineup to see a gross inequity in games offered per system.

Why does the PS3 have 12 games available at all times, whilst the PS Vita has 6 and the PS4 has a measly 2 games on offer…

It doesn’t take much time to see that there is an intentional moratorium on keeping more than 2 PS4 games on Plus at one time.

All I want is equity in PS4 games for Plus, is that too much to ask? My advice please support your early adopters better, we invest in your system and should be treated with such rewards, give PS4 owners more games for PS Plus and let them stay on the carousel for longer than a few weeks (save for Resogun which should really be replaced by now)…

Thanks PlayStation team.

Best Regards,

- Gold

+ The_Dukenator on February 3rd, 2014 at 12:46 pm said:

@81 What I do is try the game out thru PS+, then buy a retail copy later on. The downloads can get large. Metro Last Night is 5GB when I checked the store.

+ TeamGreen615 on February 3rd, 2014 at 12:47 pm said:

February is going to be a great month. The only game I have is Mod Nation for the Vita. It’s actually a fun cart racer but its a shame that there is no online multiplayer.

+ The_Dukenator on February 3rd, 2014 at 12:55 pm said:

Morgan,

As long you’re giving us PS4 games for Plus, how about the PS3 versions of those games, (if they exist), as well?

And after seeing the God of War 1 & 2 being made free for PS+ users last year by mistake, is there any plans to make them free for Plus users the right way?

+ TYruler50 on February 3rd, 2014 at 1:06 pm said:

@84, you can’t offer free games when they are barely any games for the console. The ps3 has been established now for a while and has a constant stream of games, which is why they can offer 12 games constantly, the vita is still a young system and the ps4 only came out a few months ago, what are you expecting? They’re doing their best

+ Stormshadowrule on February 3rd, 2014 at 1:07 pm said:

Would love if dragons dogma dark arisen would be free next month i just tried the demo and loved it

+ klassymike on February 3rd, 2014 at 1:07 pm said:

@gold5225

PS Plus started way before there was ever a Vita or PS4. Back when Plus started, we would get Themes, avatars, minis, PS1 games and an occasional PS3 game. You can’t expect the developers to give away their games for free while they are still making money on them. Did you not know when yo signed up for Plus, that you would only get one PS4 game a month? The system has only been out since Nov. and you’re expecting to get three games a month? Dream on! The PS3 is the main console that started Plus, and it will remain that way for a while. At least until the PS4 has built up their library of games. Even the Vita’s library pales in comparison to the PS3. You really need to practice patience!

+ klassymike on February 3rd, 2014 at 1:09 pm said:

@Stormshadowrule

Dragon’s Dogma was already free a few months ago, so that won’t happen. I’ve been a member since day 1, and have never seen a title repeated for the same console.

+ robertmc8 on February 3rd, 2014 at 1:22 pm said:

Morgan Haro Can you please put another plus games besides horror games? I don’t like them there to scary for me to handle I don’t like horror movies at all. There type gamers don’t like this stuff.

+ djsaiyan on February 3rd, 2014 at 1:34 pm said:

@91

There were a couple of times where games were repeated, but that was prior to the introduction of the IGC.

+ ADRENALIN_101 on February 3rd, 2014 at 1:38 pm said:

I would like to see these games in the US PS+

1) Red Dead Redemption
12) Beyond Good and Evil HD
13) Dark Souls
14) Lone Survivor
15) Tomb Raider

+ klassymike on February 3rd, 2014 at 1:38 pm said:

@djsaiyan

Right! I should have been more clear, and said since the IGC started. Thanks for clarifying that.

+ Mando44646 on February 3rd, 2014 at 1:38 pm said:

Well my PS4 will still continue to gather dust; the game library really sucks.

Looking forward to Metro though!

+ BigBacon87 on February 3rd, 2014 at 1:43 pm said:

Disappointed to not find any discounts worth mentioning again. Can we wake up whoever has been asleep on the job the last few weeks in that department? I personally get the most of my Plus membership from game discounts(which have been great at times btw) not the IGC.

+ Shadowskypez on February 3rd, 2014 at 1:47 pm said:

Metro: Last Light tomorrow! That is my birthday but I also want Outlast on PS4 but it is sold out so I could not get a PS4 that would have been epic.

+ darkersaintsfan on February 3rd, 2014 at 1:51 pm said:

Finally showing the PS4 some love with Outlast. Hopefully it quencher

+ gold5225 on February 3rd, 2014 at 1:54 pm said:

@88 and @90 I know what Plus was like, and honestly it sucked back when it was mostly minis, avatars, and the occasional beta or PS3 game. Although I have to admit I kind of miss the Betas! I was also a member of PlayStation Rewards while that was in testing and I was really hoping that would be successful but since Sony has discontinued that way back during the testing, I no longer expect it to be revived.

I know you think it’s okay to accept this status quo we have now, but I honestly believe that it’s better to have a steady stream of games for PS4 because Sony and PlayStation will have multiple feet in front of their closest competitors and lots of reason for those on the fence between the three current gen consoles to play games on PS4 instead of the other choices.

I like the games on PS3 and PS Vita, I have all three Sony consoles, but I think PS4 should get 2 or 3 games a month, look at all the titles being released and tell me Sony can’t ink deals with more PS4 game developers… I don’t buy it, I think aggressively marketing multiple PS Plus games for PS4 is going to be huge for Sony, no need for them to just put out one new one a month and stack Resogun on the side, its silly really.