PS4-The Order

PS4 System Update 1.60: Official Headset Support; Gold Wireless Headset Out Soon

John Koller's Avatar + Posted by John Koller on Feb 03, 2014 // VP of Platforms Marketing, SCEA

Hello PlayStation Nation! The next system software update for PlayStation 4 (version 1.60) will be available for download beginning late tonight, bringing support for the PULSE and PULSE – Elite Edition wireless stereo headsets to PS4. We know you’ve been patiently waiting for this update, which means PS4 owners will now be able to enjoy an enhanced gaming experience with 7.1 virtual surround sound and crystal clear voice chat with our official PlayStation headsets. PlayStation headsets are created for PlayStation gamers, by gamers – and designed to truly provide the audio that game developers intended. It’s truly how games were meant to sound.

I’m also excited to introduce the newest member of our headset lineup – the Gold Wireless Headset, which launches early this month. This new headset offers 7.1 virtual surround sound, custom audio modes created by developers specifically for PlayStation games, a hidden noise cancelling microphone for voice chat while playing online, customizable faceplates, and other features –all for $99.99 (MSRP).

PlayStation Gold Wireless Stereo Headset

You can connect the Gold headset to your PS4, PS3 or computer using the wireless adaptor for eight hours of straight gameplay. The headset also is compatible with your PS Vita or other mobile device with the included 3.5mm audio cable. The portable, folding design and travel pouch make it perfect for playing games or listening to music at home or on the go.

The Gold Wireless Headset and the PULSE – Elite Edition are compatible with the free Headset Companion App, which hits PlayStation Store in February. The app allows you to download developer-created audio modes that are specifically tuned to enhance a game’s audio. Kicking off the custom sound modes will be Sucker Punch, who’s developing a mode for their highly anticipated PS4 exclusive inFAMOUS Second Son. In addition to these custom audio modes, the app also offers a variety of preset audio modes for games, music and movies, as well as a tool to create your own custom EQ mode.

For additional information on PS4 system update v.1.60, including how to update your system, please click here when the update goes live. Hope you enjoy the new features and keep the feedback coming. Greatness Awaits!

PAGE 1 3 4 5 6 7 14

+ CarlsbadCARTEL on February 3rd, 2014 at 11:57 am said:

Boy a update for some headsets , what a waste .How bout you prioritize these updates with with more important and I’m sorry but pushing this 1.60 update out to make your shiny new headset to work along with your other overpriced hardware is sick. I should have been smarter and waited a year b4 I bought the ps3and a half cause the game lineup is horid here in the beginning stages. Since this is nowhere what ps3 offers. O well ya live and learn.

+ page85 on February 3rd, 2014 at 12:01 pm said:

will non Sony headsets be supported after this update?

+ Od1n757 on February 3rd, 2014 at 12:01 pm said:

can i have more information on the customizable faceplates

+ NoHeLyy on February 3rd, 2014 at 12:06 pm said:

Sony products are clearly made for high-class families; in other words, Sony’s products are expensive.

+ WHITE_PR on February 3rd, 2014 at 12:07 pm said:

Yes!!! Now my Pulse Elite will sound AWESOME!!! again!! Thanks!

+ Dencope on February 3rd, 2014 at 12:08 pm said:

Would Sony rep please try and give some answers to this issue. Never used a headset so this update doesn’t do anything for me. But I do see a lot about people wanting DLNA, external HD’s and mp3 support and I agree.

Didn’t believe it at first but can see where SONY is going with all this. No DLNA so you buy movies and shows from the Sony store, no music so you subscribe to the Sony Music Unlimited and now the first update is to try and get you to buy Sony headsets. Quite smart really on Sony’s part as I’m considering signing up to Music Unlimited and buying the headsets.

But now it’s time to give the consumers what they want and in a timely fashion, and while I’m at it would be nice to see the MLB app before the season starts.

And will a SONY rep please address this comment and give some info on all of this.

+ tokyopunchout on February 3rd, 2014 at 12:19 pm said:

This new “Gold Wireless Headset” sounds great *no pun intended*, but I’m wondering since it goes as far as having a Gold Trophy on the box does this indicate that there are plans to release a “Platinum Edition”?

Any word on that logical conclusion?

+ Tarmia on February 3rd, 2014 at 12:19 pm said:

@190, Maxomega:

The EU blog post talks of an 8-hour battery life.

For the other question, I guess only reviews will tell once the headset comes out. :) The new headset does look very good, though, you can’t deny that!

+ hahpurr on February 3rd, 2014 at 12:26 pm said:

After all this time, this is the only thing that is announced on the update. Everyone already had the ear bud that came with the system. So there is nothing updated about the update announcement. More disappointment. What about pausing downloads and only the apps we want under the tv and video section, instead of everything we don’t want. If we want another app on our PS4, we will get it from the store. Speaking of another app, where is the YouTube app. Sony, you are slacking and upsetting your consumers. At least be upfront with us. When, if ever, do you expect to have an update with these things in it.

+ VT-14 on February 3rd, 2014 at 12:28 pm said:

The Wireless dongle looks redesigned. Is there still a place to plug in the audio cable in it?

I use this feature on the Pulse Elites almost constantly by connecting to my TV. I want to know if I will still be able to do this with the new headset because I’m looking to upgrade. My Pulse Elites broke back in September (cracking under the metal ring designs), but they are still usable and this feature is so convenient that I still use them.

+ Silviu_Kratos_24 on February 3rd, 2014 at 12:28 pm said:

Is this headset better than Sony MDR-1R Headphones? I don’t know what to buy….

+ NO_FEAR on February 3rd, 2014 at 12:30 pm said:

Cool beans, can’t wait to go back to the headset. It makes life easier when the girlfriend wants to watch a movie on her notebook or some late night quiet gaming time. When she is happy, I am happy ;)

+ dark_angel69 on February 3rd, 2014 at 12:38 pm said:

Nobody is replying in the EU blog but feel free to check out my comment on page 3. I made a suggestion for you guys to think about. :)

+ Awsaim on February 3rd, 2014 at 12:42 pm said:

Cant wait for new features, especially suspend mode.

+ GORGETTON on February 3rd, 2014 at 12:44 pm said:

Whit this patch, could i use my: wireless stereo headset ??

+ sjpachol on February 3rd, 2014 at 12:46 pm said:

When will PS4 support blu-tooth headsets that are ear-piece only? This improvement is great and the headset above I am sure is terrific, but I don’t want to look like I am directing 747s to the runway when I am playing video games.

+ Souledge94 on February 3rd, 2014 at 12:48 pm said:

can we please get an update so my elgato game capture can work on the ps4.

+ Gumbie7 on February 3rd, 2014 at 12:52 pm said:

So does this update include the original Sony wireless headset compatibility?

+ Ryusennin on February 3rd, 2014 at 12:53 pm said:

The Pulse is a great headset for Blu-rays.

But as far as games are concerned, the PS3 wireless driver is terrible. It draws too much CPU resources which can make your game audio stutter very badly. If the game has been specifically designed for the Pulse (like GTA 5, Bioshock Infinite or TLOU), you won’t encounter any single issue. But in many other cases (all Assassin’s Creed games, Skyrim, Demon’s Souls just to name a few), the sound will be regularly choppy if not completely cut off for one or two seconds.

This is extremely annoying, and Sony knows about it yet hasn’t fixed the issue. (It is not related to the connectivity problem mentioned on the PS forums, it’s a driver issue.)

Until this problem is fixed (which might never happen), I advise everyone to NOT buy a Sony wireless headset for the PS3. Put your money into a good wired headset instead.

+ RockkinAce on February 3rd, 2014 at 1:03 pm said:

Will wireless headsets, such as the Turtle Beach PX5, work with this new update? Please answer and stop dodging the pre existing wireless headset issue. I would really like to know what I need to do to get wireless again before I spend more money to get it up to speed. I do hope you aren’t planning to $upport only your wireless headsets for this console.

+ Senjutsu_Dav on February 3rd, 2014 at 1:04 pm said:

Dongles again on next gen? Frankly? How hard is it do do bluetooth headset that can connect directly on the bluetooth enabled PS4? I really don’t understand…

+ hzy0223 on February 3rd, 2014 at 1:05 pm said:

Yeah finally! I’ve been waiting for an official headset for my PS4!

+ Tenacious_T32 on February 3rd, 2014 at 1:14 pm said:

The new Gold Headset does not have the bass impact / rumble feature as does the Pulse Elite…correct?

+ herfan97 on February 3rd, 2014 at 1:15 pm said:

Do I need the companion app to experinece 7.1 surround sound on my Pulse Elite headset on ps4?

+ DarkHeros09 on February 3rd, 2014 at 1:17 pm said:

will the psvita get the app? please sony support the psvita.

+ Johto_BR on February 3rd, 2014 at 1:18 pm said:

Well, then we can expect a “Platinum Wireless Stereo Headset” As a Pulse Elite Edition of the previous generation? (With Bass Impact)?

+ BoD_GodlessGOD on February 3rd, 2014 at 1:24 pm said:

Here is what I want to know… Will it allow a PRV to pick up the users voice as well as other users voices in multiplayer sessions?

+ DynamiteDave84 on February 3rd, 2014 at 1:27 pm said:

Sorry if this has been answered already but I’m concerned about any future patches for older bluetooth compatibility. I spent $300 on a wireless turtle beach headset 2 years ago for my PS3. It really sucks that I can no longer use it for chat with my PS4. This seems like such an easy fix but I get the feeling it’s not going to be fixed purely for greed in marketing new products to sell. People have told me to just by the chat cable accessory for it but what’s the point of buying a WIRELESS headset to have a cable connected to it?

Does Sony ever plan to patch in bluetooth compatibility for older PS3 Wireless headsets?

+ DanielMontoya on February 3rd, 2014 at 1:38 pm said:

Question about that lovely headset: Does it fit comfortably on large heads? I have a larger head and sometimes they can be too tight or don’t reach my ears well. Thanks!

+ xBuTcHeRx on February 3rd, 2014 at 1:42 pm said:

Will the 1.6 FW also support the official PS Bluetooth Wireless Headset? Please say yes!!

+ fivestarboy1 on February 3rd, 2014 at 1:48 pm said:

does this update only get the pulse headsets working i recently got a corsair headset wireless pc and it detects it but keeps disconnecting wondering if this patch tonight will make the headset work if not well i guess i will just sell mine and but the GOLD Wireless headset.

+ LumarQQ on February 3rd, 2014 at 1:52 pm said:

Thank you so much Playstation for the free headset!!

I’m very happy I took the time to participate in your First to Greatness campaign.

+ FrankieeeeCantu on February 3rd, 2014 at 1:53 pm said:

When will the availability to download music files, and play music of our own be updated on the PS4. Im a owner of a PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, and have several music CDs, that I would surely love to play just as I have on the following systems. Not only have I enjoyed the experience of gaming with Sony, but the ability to enjoy my music without the cost of a music service. I’d appreciate to know when Sony

+ CameronH on February 3rd, 2014 at 1:56 pm said:

RIGHTEOUS!!!!!!! WOOT WOOT RIGHTEOUS!!!!!

+ PowdrdToastMan21 on February 3rd, 2014 at 1:57 pm said:

I don’t believe I’ve seen this question after reading most of the comments and skimming the others. Seeing as this is an update focused on headsets and chat quality, has anything been done to remedy the echo many are getting in party chat on PS4? Even while all using 3rd party or Sony headsets (not the one that came with the PS4) my friends and I are still getting an echo that is painfully annoying.

+ CameronH on February 3rd, 2014 at 1:58 pm said:

Man Seattle got a bowl game and we got the headsets. Its been a great couple of days!!

+ MrSazperilla on February 3rd, 2014 at 1:59 pm said:

What else will be included in update 1.60?

+ CameronH on February 3rd, 2014 at 2:00 pm said:

Het Toast Go through your friends that are in chat party and mute them all one by one. You’ll find it’s almost always one guy causing the issue.

+ je-saist on February 3rd, 2014 at 2:01 pm said:

I look forward to reviewing these headphones for Gamenikki In Exile. My own Rosewill’s died (too many hits to a concrete floor) so I was pretty much in the market anyways.

Just wondering though, has anybody from Sony tested to see whether or not these will work out of the box with Debian/SteamOS?

+ TK-8295 on February 3rd, 2014 at 2:11 pm said:

Hi, will this update fix the error of the PS4 not playing Blurays or avoid to freeze when trying to play Blurays?

+ PowdrdToastMan21 on February 3rd, 2014 at 2:11 pm said:

@237 Hey Cameron, thanks for the reply. I’ve tried this, though it happens in varying degrees with many people on my list. I play with a bunch of different people and almost all experience it to some extent, regardless of who or how many people tend to be in the party. It gets worse the more people there are, though there are two people in particular who it is very bad with.

+ LumarQQ on February 3rd, 2014 at 2:14 pm said:

Thank you so much Playstation for the free headset!!
twitter.com/MYLOkai/status/430457477994258432/photo/1

+ Laporta on February 3rd, 2014 at 2:14 pm said:

Bastante interesante estós auriculares. Que me los compro, ya! (ó cuando esten a la venta).

+ GABEv01 on February 3rd, 2014 at 2:15 pm said:

My weeks start on Tuesdays thanks to the PSN Store Updates. Now this… Best news in gaming for a great week start. Go Greatness!

+ wesnuman on February 3rd, 2014 at 2:16 pm said:

Can’t believe I’ve got sitting here UNOPENED a box of Sony elite headphones , I bought them because there was official word of the patch , not a bleedin word on a new set of headphones cheaper , and I believe more durable , still because I had time on my hands I could afford to wait a few weeks till update so bought them from my favourite seller in Hong Kong for £79 , and four sony games that would normally be £49 here , £39 in Hong Kong , but still I think I’d have gone for the new set , WAKE UP SONY , listen to who buys your stuff , stop being secretive

+ Kain-Highwind on February 3rd, 2014 at 2:17 pm said:

So is it only the pulse headsets, because I bought the wireless headset(the first one to come out) and was wondering if that is supported as well?

+ MUSOUKA05 on February 3rd, 2014 at 2:19 pm said:

Instead of throwing more headsets our way for 100 bucks each, why not also patch the system for those that bought the original Wireless Stereo headset released for PS3? I have been with sony since Play Station first came out and it seems that over the years money began to matter more than loyal long time customers. =(

Hell I still have my PS3 and still play it,but having to spend another 100 bucks on a new headset so I can play Battlefield 4 on my PS4 with epic sound is really a hit-in-the-face Sony. Come on Kaz, surely you can do better.

+ cuddyer on February 3rd, 2014 at 2:21 pm said:

What time will the update be released?(please include time zone)

+ Bigsilvs on February 3rd, 2014 at 2:24 pm said:

This update took way to long.

+ SSHOWT1M3 on February 3rd, 2014 at 2:28 pm said:

so those of us who bought turtle beach px4 still need to wait for an update for our headsets to work wirelessly? or will our headsets work wirelessly

PAGE 1 3 4 5 6 7 14