No Man's Sky

Outlast Out Today: Survival Horror on PS4

Philippe Morin's Avatar + Posted by Philippe Morin on Feb 04, 2014 // Co-Founder, Red Barrels

Hello gamers! I’m Philippe Morin, one of the co-founders of Red Barrels. Our first game, Outlast, is coming to PS4 today, and I’m excited to share that those of you who are PlayStation Plus subscribers will be able to download it completely for free.

Outlast

Outlast itself is a survival-horror game created by a team of 11 people with one common goal: to scare the *bleep* out of you.

Here’s the story so far…

In the remote mountains of Colorado, horrors wait inside Mount Massive Asylum. A long-abandoned home for the mentally ill, the facility was recently re-opened by the “research and charity” branch of the transnational Murkoff Corporation. Taking advantage of the Asylum’s history and remote location, they’ve been operating in strict secrecy. That is, they were until the reporter arrived.Acting on a tip from an anonymous source, independent journalist Miles Upshur has broken into the facility, and what he is about to discover inside will walk a terrifying line between science and religion, nature and something entirely other. Trapped with nightmares old and new, his only hope of escape will lie with the terrible truth at the heart of Mount Massive.

So, in short, you’re a journalist who’s found himself in a very wrong place at the very wrong time. You can’t hope to defend yourself against the mutated patients of the asylum, so you have to sneak, run, and hide… or die. We’ve done our best to create a memorable roller-coaster ride, one that entertains, scares, and leaves you craving more.

Outlast on PS4

In fact, one of the most fun things about watching players make their way through Outlast has been watching the terrified looks on their faces, so we decided to step things up a notch. Newly added on PS4 is a difficulty level we call “insane.” If you feel brave enough to pick this mode, you’ll have very low health, very few batteries, no checkpoints, and no chance to save your game. It’s do or die. Survive or start again.

So here it is – turn off the lights, crank up the sound, and hold tight to your controller, because true horror is coming straight to your console today.

We can’t help if you end up needing new underwear, but if you’ve got any comments or questions please post them below or poke us on Twitter or Facebook. We hope you enjoy the game!

PAGE 1 2 3 4

+ Groenner on February 4th, 2014 at 8:06 am said:

First!?

+ Binarynova on February 4th, 2014 at 8:07 am said:

Looking forward to downloading this later this month! :)

+ Phoenix_Fire_BR on February 4th, 2014 at 8:07 am said:

It seems to be awesome!!!

+ Patsrule0316 on February 4th, 2014 at 8:09 am said:

I can’t wait to play this! Looks great, and I’ve heard good things about it.

+ JKRO on February 4th, 2014 at 8:09 am said:

Thanks Phillipe Morin!! I look forward to playing your game!

+ TYruler50 on February 4th, 2014 at 8:10 am said:

we know this from yesterday and the previews, what time is it going to be uploaded though?

+ pankur on February 4th, 2014 at 8:11 am said:

So excited for the game! cant wait!

+ TYruler50 on February 4th, 2014 at 8:11 am said:

also small contradiction in the post, you say outlast is out today, but at the end of the post it says true horror is coming NEXT tuesday

+ Ventus_Fury on February 4th, 2014 at 8:11 am said:

Post says “Today”

Phillipe Morin : “Next Tuesday”

…What? Do you guys write stuff early then it gets posted late?

+ ArunTahlan on February 4th, 2014 at 8:12 am said:

Outlast. On Remote Play. With earphones. Beneath the blanket. Shivering with terror.
Should I be excited or scared?

+ MattieMBleezy on February 4th, 2014 at 8:12 am said:

is the store updated yet? I want this game so bad, also have FF Lighting returns pre ordered, ff x-x2 pre ordered, theif, just got the tomb raider definitive edition, i pretty much have almost all the ps4 games haha.

cant wait for later this year with all the AWESOME GAMES being released. DYING LIGHT, DESTINY, inFAMOUS, THE ORDER, WATCH DOGS, have those pre ordered too. ALWAYS A SONY FAN! Thanks for all the awesome free games as well. Playstation Plus is the best thing thats ever happened to playstation!

+ meltedwolf on February 4th, 2014 at 8:14 am said:

Hi. I don’t have anything to say right now.

+ Joseph_Lapp_DW on February 4th, 2014 at 8:17 am said:

Been waiting for this game since I found out it was coming to PS4. Goal is to play in one sitting, late at night, no party chat and surround sound going. It’s going to be awesome.

+ Mazzacani1 on February 4th, 2014 at 8:18 am said:

Tried to download it this morning but it wasn’t there. When will this be available ?

+ zXiMeRcY– on February 4th, 2014 at 8:20 am said:

I never played a horror game and this might be my first..

+ JimmyHACK on February 4th, 2014 at 8:21 am said:

BOO!

+ mmking9999 on February 4th, 2014 at 8:22 am said:

OBJECTION!

There is a contradiction in your statement just now. Is Outlast coming today or next week? The court will have the truth!

+ Kolukonu on February 4th, 2014 at 8:26 am said:

I am totally looking forward to downloading this game and trying this out. Going to be terrified… reminds me of Slender a little bit. Gotta play with the lights completely out, only you and the TV Screen, and the volume cranked up.

+ PainOfSarrow on February 4th, 2014 at 8:27 am said:

looks good for a first person view game. i luv horror.

+ JimmyHACK on February 4th, 2014 at 8:27 am said:

People never learn. It will be up once the Store does it’s normal weekly update later today. Please remember this for the next game you want too.

+ meltedwolf on February 4th, 2014 at 8:28 am said:

My stereo headset isn’t working still. Ps4 recognizes it but still outputs audio through TV

+ smelterguy on February 4th, 2014 at 8:29 am said:

exactly it will be out today probably in 6 or 7 hours!

+ TooLVolta on February 4th, 2014 at 8:32 am said:

I can’t believe I’m getting thos awesome game for free!!! I can’t wait to play it, thanks for thos and metro guys!

+ ASC2175 on February 4th, 2014 at 8:34 am said:

In preparation for Outlast, I played the PC version on Insane mode.

…decided to quit because 2 hit deaths are stoopid ~_~

+ Aremus_ on February 4th, 2014 at 8:37 am said:

Can’t wait! This will be my first survival horror of the new generations, keep them coming! I LOVE survival horror games and I’m very happy they are returning this generation!

+ BlueLightSpeed on February 4th, 2014 at 8:38 am said:

I was willing to pay for Outlast no problem and am so stoked to be getting it free through PSPlus!

+ djd326 on February 4th, 2014 at 8:45 am said:

If only the PlayStation gold wireless headset came out today as well then I could of experienced the horror in 7.1 surround sound.

+ watersoak on February 4th, 2014 at 8:48 am said:

keep them coming. i heard there is a dlc coming for outlast later on, i havent even played the game and i am already craving the dlc.

+ ASSASSIN_2050 on February 4th, 2014 at 8:50 am said:

i guess it’ll come out later cause it’s not in the ps store can’t wait to play this game usually i’m not into games like this but it looks awesome

+ watersoak on February 4th, 2014 at 8:51 am said:

its coming today in the afternoon!

+ mettreidici on February 4th, 2014 at 8:51 am said:

Félicitations à toute l’équipe et bon lancement!

+ GODFATHERTIG on February 4th, 2014 at 8:56 am said:

THanks for giving this game free. I am glad to have something new to play on my ps4. For a while there I was regretting getting my system early with the LACK of GAMES. NOW I HAVE SOMETHING TO PLAY ON MY DAY OFF!

+ flamingsaiyan on February 4th, 2014 at 8:59 am said:

Looks badass

+ Scifer-0 on February 4th, 2014 at 9:03 am said:

Outlast

+ nolo451 on February 4th, 2014 at 9:04 am said:

cant wait, excited.

+ Critosis on February 4th, 2014 at 9:05 am said:

My body is ready >:D

+ Wayndawind on February 4th, 2014 at 9:07 am said:

I hope it isnt over hyped! Reviews say its scary fun.

+ SNAKE_CR on February 4th, 2014 at 9:08 am said:

lo quiero ya

+ Dareman1974 on February 4th, 2014 at 9:11 am said:

Where is it!!!!!!!!! I’ve looked everywhere on the playstation store……. Can’t find it.

+ veselm197 on February 4th, 2014 at 9:13 am said:

I have PS4 and the only i discovered is to upgrade the system to 1.6 no game outlast stuff is not here

+ PainOfSarrow on February 4th, 2014 at 9:16 am said:

Dareman1974 later today once the store updates.

+ rdpmafia on February 4th, 2014 at 9:22 am said:

The stores are usually updated around 4-5pm ET. My guess it’ll be available then.

+ ConsentinoBr on February 4th, 2014 at 9:26 am said:

Waiting…

+ jhernandez360 on February 4th, 2014 at 9:28 am said:

Does this game take any advantages of the DUALSHOCK SHOCK 4?

+ veselm197 on February 4th, 2014 at 9:35 am said:

Well so far i have found no benefits playstation plus

+ Se_7_eN on February 4th, 2014 at 9:46 am said:

@ Veselm – Sounds like you hate video games…

@ Red Barrels – I am pumped! I completed it on PC but can’t wait to play it again on PS4… I am a little disappointed there is no platinum trophy! But, it makes sense… There isn’t a whole lot you could make trophy worthy. GREAT GAME!

+ boydude7588 on February 4th, 2014 at 9:51 am said:

Hurry with the update! I’m an impatient human! D:

+ tao707 on February 4th, 2014 at 9:58 am said:

Morons everywhere. Anyone who has ever been on this site knows that the store doesn’t update til 2pm pst/5pm est. How many morons will it take to know that. Every single week morons are asking the question. Apparently there are many of them

+ GeeseRunTheWorld on February 4th, 2014 at 9:58 am said:

Looks awesome. Take your time with the update because I have class all day.

+ Chance_Splinter on February 4th, 2014 at 10:13 am said:

A creepy first-person survival horror game that just happens to come out the day we get 7.1 surround-sound headphone support one PS4?

Serendipitous!