PS4-Watch_Dogs

Outlast Out Today: Survival Horror on PS4

Philippe Morin's Avatar + Posted by Philippe Morin on Feb 04, 2014 // Co-Founder, Red Barrels

Hello gamers! I’m Philippe Morin, one of the co-founders of Red Barrels. Our first game, Outlast, is coming to PS4 today, and I’m excited to share that those of you who are PlayStation Plus subscribers will be able to download it completely for free.

Outlast

Outlast itself is a survival-horror game created by a team of 11 people with one common goal: to scare the *bleep* out of you.

Here’s the story so far…

In the remote mountains of Colorado, horrors wait inside Mount Massive Asylum. A long-abandoned home for the mentally ill, the facility was recently re-opened by the “research and charity” branch of the transnational Murkoff Corporation. Taking advantage of the Asylum’s history and remote location, they’ve been operating in strict secrecy. That is, they were until the reporter arrived.Acting on a tip from an anonymous source, independent journalist Miles Upshur has broken into the facility, and what he is about to discover inside will walk a terrifying line between science and religion, nature and something entirely other. Trapped with nightmares old and new, his only hope of escape will lie with the terrible truth at the heart of Mount Massive.

So, in short, you’re a journalist who’s found himself in a very wrong place at the very wrong time. You can’t hope to defend yourself against the mutated patients of the asylum, so you have to sneak, run, and hide… or die. We’ve done our best to create a memorable roller-coaster ride, one that entertains, scares, and leaves you craving more.

Outlast on PS4

In fact, one of the most fun things about watching players make their way through Outlast has been watching the terrified looks on their faces, so we decided to step things up a notch. Newly added on PS4 is a difficulty level we call “insane.” If you feel brave enough to pick this mode, you’ll have very low health, very few batteries, no checkpoints, and no chance to save your game. It’s do or die. Survive or start again.

So here it is – turn off the lights, crank up the sound, and hold tight to your controller, because true horror is coming straight to your console today.

We can’t help if you end up needing new underwear, but if you’ve got any comments or questions please post them below or poke us on Twitter or Facebook. We hope you enjoy the game!

+ veselm197 on February 4th, 2014 at 10:14 am said:

@Se_7_eN I love video games I had a ps3 I’m just disappointed that the PS4′s no such thing as the ps3

+ mikeAnthony513 on February 4th, 2014 at 10:19 am said:

I keep refreshing the ps store waiting for it ! so ready for play!

+ grimreefz on February 4th, 2014 at 10:20 am said:

so what time? ive been looking all day – those ps people need ot buy clocks.

+ ahernan2013 on February 4th, 2014 at 10:26 am said:

The Playstation Store Update is coming at
2PM for Pacific Time
4PM for Central Time
5PM for Eastern Time

These times will have outlast.
So if you live in these time zones, these are your updates.

+ ElektroDragon on February 4th, 2014 at 10:26 am said:

Hopefully that logo is not the most frightening and uncomfortable thing about Outlast. Jeez does that bug out my eyes!!!

+ boydude7588 on February 4th, 2014 at 10:33 am said:

I wish i had pacific time. I know that we’re waiting the same amount of time, But it wouldn’t feel like it

+ EvoAnubis on February 4th, 2014 at 10:33 am said:

I’ve heard great things about this game. Looking forward to playing it tonight…with the lights on because I’m a wuss. :-)

+ NiCkNAck2k2 on February 4th, 2014 at 10:35 am said:

Man I cant wait! And a big snowstorm is coming tonight, so I’ll have all day to play :D

+ crazeeavery on February 4th, 2014 at 10:45 am said:

It’s not showing up as free for ps+

+ boomstickbhg on February 4th, 2014 at 10:45 am said:

Dear Indie Devs:

Please stop making survival, horror, creepy, etc… games.

I want the PS4 to include other genres as well. Creepy Indie games is all we’ve been getting.

Thank you.

+ itscuzimwhite921 on February 4th, 2014 at 10:48 am said:

I thought it was free for playstation plus members, it says Outlast for 19.99?

+ Mr_Mackwo on February 4th, 2014 at 10:49 am said:

Can’t wait to play this today! It looks like a hybrid of Fatal Frame, Doom 3 (of course minus weapons) and Silent hill 4!

+ Mr_Mackwo on February 4th, 2014 at 10:50 am said:

@61 You have to wait for the Playstation Store to update today…

+ skunkgp1 on February 4th, 2014 at 10:51 am said:

Yeah, it’s not showing free for ps plus for me either, I was hoping I could get it from the spin store today so it would be downloaded for me when I get home from college.

+ itscuzimwhite921 on February 4th, 2014 at 10:51 am said:

@63, thanks I forgot about the update and when I saw it I thought it updated but the price was 19.99

+ skunkgp1 on February 4th, 2014 at 10:52 am said:

Ps store* stupid auto correct!

+ bxphenom7 on February 4th, 2014 at 10:56 am said:

It’s there but without a free option for PS Plus subscribers.

+ Dareman1974 on February 4th, 2014 at 11:03 am said:

Hey, +tao707, I didn’t know that…….thanks for the update jackass!!!

+ Un0-0n3unique on February 4th, 2014 at 11:10 am said:

What the point? People say it come out in the EU On Wednesday & Today in the US

+ ytirado1975 on February 4th, 2014 at 11:10 am said:

Very Excited and Hyped For this Game!

+ Un0-0n3unique on February 4th, 2014 at 11:16 am said:

Wait Never Mind + ahernan2013 :)

+ ResigningMonk on February 4th, 2014 at 11:18 am said:

This is going to be fun but for some reason the game reminds me of fatal frame. If the only weapon is going to be a camera. I’m so not going to play it with my friend around cause he enjoys watching me play horror game. Friends right?

+ Almighty-Koz on February 4th, 2014 at 11:19 am said:

Outlast is on my psn store right now at 2pm eastern but its not free lol

+ boydude7588 on February 4th, 2014 at 11:20 am said:

I remember the same thing happened with Don’t Starve. When it’s first put on there, It’s not free, But a few minutes later when it updates, It becomes free

+ lisatsunami on February 4th, 2014 at 11:23 am said:

Too scary for me to play but I’m going to look for live gameplay over the PS4 twitch app tonight.

+ Dareman1974 on February 4th, 2014 at 11:24 am said:

Holy crap, your right…….it’s 20$!!! What’s up with that??

+ Dareman1974 on February 4th, 2014 at 11:24 am said:

Lol

+ iPocalyptic on February 4th, 2014 at 11:25 am said:

And here I thought I was the only one experiencing this problem, I assume it’ll update in a bit and be free for PSplus subscribers. Either that or someone at sony will eventually realize someone ****** up… Patience is a virtue I need practice in anyway.

+ Myrddin28 on February 4th, 2014 at 11:28 am said:

Thats what I’m seeing too, maybe it’ll change in a few hours, lets hope so!

+ zechs33 on February 4th, 2014 at 11:31 am said:

OH NAY NAY!!!! I been looking forward to this game since I found out it was coming to the PS4.

+ TYruler50 on February 4th, 2014 at 11:34 am said:

yeah kinda fishy that they uploaded the game but didn’t make it free for plus yet lol. hopefully no one fell for it

+ zechs33 on February 4th, 2014 at 11:36 am said:

If they went ahead and paid and sony doesnt give them a refund or credit that just mufed up

+ GODFATHERTIG on February 4th, 2014 at 11:37 am said:

is this suppose to be free?

+ Myrddin28 on February 4th, 2014 at 11:38 am said:

@80 You don’t think a company would ‘accidentally’ put it up there for a fee, do ya? LOL

+ SmokeAdellic on February 4th, 2014 at 11:42 am said:

Will it have 3D support?

+ tusunami on February 4th, 2014 at 11:42 am said:

Glad i bought the 2yrs worth extra of PS Plus time on black frday. Who say PS Plus isn’t worth it, all these fantastic games in my library to play at will!!!!!!!!!

+ Ashdust on February 4th, 2014 at 11:42 am said:

Any chance this game has 3D support?

+ D1rTyGHEt0KiDs on February 4th, 2014 at 11:43 am said:

When will this be free for PS PLUS members? I was trying to download it today the 4th of February and it says that it costs $19.99???

+ JeRzYzFyNeSt on February 4th, 2014 at 11:50 am said:

B4 the PSN store updates they put the free game out incase anyone wants to support the game by paying! Then later on they make it free with the store updating

+ skunkgp1 on February 4th, 2014 at 11:51 am said:

I want this game! But I’m too broke….. :(

+ QUATTRODAWEI on February 4th, 2014 at 11:53 am said:

I found it in store and tried to download, but it why still needs to charge $19.99?
You guys better fix it shortly pls okay?

+ JeRzYzFyNeSt on February 4th, 2014 at 11:53 am said:

@89 its a free game later on when the store updates. Free for the month of feb.

+ zechs33 on February 4th, 2014 at 11:57 am said:

its free now. LET THE HORROR BEGIN!!!! right after it downloads

+ NiNGa_StyL3 on February 4th, 2014 at 11:57 am said:

So excited, I can finally use my pulse headset too! <3

+ Notorious_Jae on February 4th, 2014 at 12:00 pm said:

All these good ps plus games sony are giving are great and all but they should speak to my ISP comcast about this data cap of 300gb a month! :(

+ Emperiux on February 4th, 2014 at 12:01 pm said:

I have just recently checked the PS store, Outlast is up, it currently show that it is a “free” download to us PS plus subscriber’s, but when I go to click download im brought to a screen that tell’s me that I must add funds to buy it, then to download it…WTH Sony!, what’s up with this. I’ve been literally waiting in my seat for this game to be released, to start playing only to be hyped up for “false-advertisement”

+ BrianMcGuinness on February 4th, 2014 at 12:04 pm said:

I don’t even understand how some of you can even form a full thought.
“WHEN IS IT COMING?!?! I DON’T SEE IT IN THE STORE!!!!! I’M GOING TO SUE SONY AND EVERY INDIE DEV IF I DON’T GET THIS GAME ASAP!!!”
Can you all just relax and wait for the store to update LIKE IT DOES EVERY SINGLE WEEK? Geez…

+ sergiodj3ix on February 4th, 2014 at 12:11 pm said:

Outlast is free for playstation plus members, finally. But when you try to grab it, it says the Playstation Store is under maintenance.

Guess they’re just moving some sticks to get the thing up and running once and for all.

+ itscuzimwhite921 on February 4th, 2014 at 12:14 pm said:

Got mine finally downloading. You just have to just keep trying and it will eventually go through!

+ dlhdav7 on February 4th, 2014 at 12:17 pm said:

You guys must be new to PlayStation ! Lol ! You have to wait for the store to update !