Tearaway Unfolded

Feb 10

BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma Special Edition, Features Detailed

Mike Engler's Avatar Posted by Mike Engler on Feb 10, 2014 // Editor, Aksys Games

BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma

Greetings, and welcome to another missive from the mighty Aksys Citadel. As the North American launch of BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma draws ever closer, we thought it’d be good idea to talk a little bit about the game — especially all the new features and characters, not to mention the special edition and all of its various doodads. So without further ado, let’s BlazBlue!

BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma for PS3

First of all, there are a few system changes in Chrono Phantasma that set it apart from previous versions of the game. One of the most obvious additions is the Overdrive ability. By initiating Overdrive, you’ll be able to amplify a character’s overall skills and abilities for a set period of time. When Overdrive is active, the stage will go dark, letting you know it’s time to get down to business. When used to its fullest, the Overdrive system will allow a player to turn the tide of battle and snatch victory from the jaws of defeat!

Another big change is to the Network/Online portion of the game. The number of options available to the online warrior is, to be incredibly hyperbolic, mindboggling. In addition to the previous nifty options (customizable lobbies that let players set the number of participants, skill level, etc.), players can now chat with each other publicly (or feud privately) and play through the various single-player options while waiting for online challengers via the all-new Entry mode.

As for the new characters, there are seven in total, each with their own unique play styles, challenge modes, and roles in the ever-expanding BlazBlue mythos. Amane Nishiki, Bullet, Azrael, Izayoi, Yuuki Terumi, Kagura Mutsuki, and Kokonoe join the returning cast of characters, bringing the roster count up to an awe-inspiring twenty six!

BlazBlue: Chrono PhantasmaBlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma

And finally, let’s not forget the special edition. In addition to the game (which is a given with any special edition… hopefully), those fortunate enough to get this wondrous, deluxe release will also get a nifty art book, a CD of sweet, sweet BlazBlue music, a handy-dandy move guide, and an informative blu-ray chock full of developer interviews, an episode of Bururaji H, and the first episode of Alter Memory! Also included is a Nendoroid petite figure of everyone’s favorite caustically sarcastic, eternally bitter loli-goth immortal vampire, Rachel Alucard.

Oh yes, and all special editions AND first-run copies of BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma will come with an insert containing a DLC code for everyone’s favorite maniacal troll, Yuuki Terumi!

Whelp, as it seems I’m out of time and room (and exclamation points), I think I’ll just end things here for now. Thanks for reading, and if you have any questions, comments, or random thoughts please poke at us on Twitter at @aksysgames or on Facebook.

BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma for PS Vita

Oh, I’m back. Miss me? Of course you did. After waxing poetic about the PS3 version of BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma, I was informed that we’re also going to be releasing the PS Vita version as well, and was “asked” by the powers that be to type a few things about the portable version of our truly awesome 2D fighter. While much of everything I already gushed about holds true in regards to the handheld version, there are a few new bits and bobs we feel you’ll want to know.

BlazBlue: Chrono PhantasmaBlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma

BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma

All screenshots from the PS3 version.

Just to put your minds (and wallets) at ease, all of the DLC for the game is cross-compatible. So if you bought a color pack or an additional character for the PS3 version, you can also use that content on the Vita as well. Now you can perfect your rage-inducing Kokonoe corner-combos while she’s clad in any number of different color palette options.

Another new, nifty addition is an extra story mode featuring Ragna, Noel, Celica and Kagura as they frolic in the clear blue waves of one of the few beaches not completely annihilated by the Black Beast. Not sure who/what the Black Beast is? Don’t worry, as summaries for the stories of Calamity Trigger and Continuum Shift are included to help you get up to speed on the current events in the BlazBlue universe.

And to wrap things up for now, the ever-popular Abyss mode has been enhanced in a number of weird and wondrous ways! No, really; we think you’ll like what we’ve done, so please be excited!

Anyway, thanks for reading, and if you have any questions, comments, or random thoughts please let us know.

PAGE 1 2

+ chrisruls002 on February 10th, 2014 at 4:09 pm said:

Nice to hear about the Vita version, I love on the go fighting. I have a question about the Yuuki Terumi DLC though. If I buy Digital will I still be able to get it? I prefer Digital Downloads but I don’t wanna miss out on a whole character cause of it.

+ Revannefarious on February 10th, 2014 at 4:16 pm said:

You can be darn sure I’m picking this up on Vita when it comes out. Blazblue: Continuum Shift Extend was my first pickup for the Vita, and I enjoyed it immensely.

The wait for this… It’s goin’ to drive me nuts.

+ Kchow23 on February 10th, 2014 at 4:17 pm said:

I am confused, so is this a brand new game or the previous game with DLC?

Mike Engler's Avatar

+ Frank "Bo" DeWindt II on February 10th, 2014 at 4:39 pm said:

This is a brand new game in the BlazBlue universe :)

However, there are also two DLC characters that you can purchase, among other kinds of DLC.

+ PZDugna on February 10th, 2014 at 4:56 pm said:

I own every main Blazblue except the PSP games I have also bought multiple CT and CS and also owned CSEX on both PS3 and Vita so I will definitely be double dipping on this as well, just no money for the CE though =/ owell Vita version will still be fun since the Dpad on the Vita is amazing.

+ NSDI on February 10th, 2014 at 4:24 pm said:

Have pre-ordered the PS3 version. Day 1 digital copy of Vita version also!

+ PZDugna on February 10th, 2014 at 4:57 pm said:

Also congrats to Blazblue team, Yall got into EVO for some more marketing :D

Mike Engler's Avatar

+ Frank "Bo" DeWindt II on February 10th, 2014 at 4:58 pm said:

Thanks! :)

We’re very honored and privileged to have BBCP be in EVO this year!

+ gold_og_roger on February 10th, 2014 at 5:20 pm said:

This will hold me over until Guilty Gear Xrd hits!

+ gold_og_roger on February 10th, 2014 at 5:24 pm said:

Will this have Crossplay for PS3 vs Vita users?

+ neko-destroyer on February 10th, 2014 at 2:31 pm said:

I need this, petit figure and all, in my life

+ neko-destroyer on February 10th, 2014 at 2:34 pm said:

Also, not to be pushy, but a certain lovable scientist is rumored to be leaving her lab. Any available info on when we should be keeping an eye out for her?

+ Unseen_BK-201 on February 10th, 2014 at 2:35 pm said:

Quick question. Is Kokonoe going to be paid DLC just like in the Japanese version of the game?

+ ZELGADIZ-PLUS on February 10th, 2014 at 2:40 pm said:

PS VITA!!!!!!! Day 1 digital

+ Dantes_Ragnarok on February 10th, 2014 at 2:55 pm said:

Any chances of BB avatars coming to PSN? (dont forget to add a bundle for PS+ users)
come on guys, we’ve been requesting them for a long time.
Yuuki Terumi, cant wait to see you!

+ Unseen_BK-201 on February 10th, 2014 at 3:56 pm said:

Thank you for the quick reply Frank. I look forward to playing the game!

Mike Engler's Avatar

+ Frank "Bo" DeWindt II on February 10th, 2014 at 3:58 pm said:

Happy to be of service! We hope you enjoy it!

+ UnrealSackboy on February 10th, 2014 at 5:39 pm said:

Sooo for those of us that preordered the collectors edition a few months ago…will there be a collectors edition for the vita as well?

+ genius527 on February 10th, 2014 at 5:40 pm said:

Is it on ps4 too does’nt mean i got one just asking!!!

+ genius527 on February 10th, 2014 at 5:42 pm said:

The game look like a popular game so it might be on ps4 i don’t know just guessing!!!

+ ZeoKhalid on February 10th, 2014 at 7:27 pm said:

wish it was for the ps4 too )): i’m sad

+ osirris33 on February 10th, 2014 at 7:50 pm said:

Will there be an option to pre-order the digital version to get the free DLC code for Yuuki Terumi?

+ tusunami on February 10th, 2014 at 7:55 pm said:

Wow more games for the PS Vita amazing, keep the games coming!!!!!!!

+ DJPlace on February 10th, 2014 at 9:35 pm said:

that’s the answer i wanted to hear for reply number 2 BOO YEAH!! now i’m going hyper bomb something till this comes out!!

+ X_O-Big_Boss on February 10th, 2014 at 10:04 pm said:

Already have the LE pre-ordered, and confirmation on a Vita version is great :D

+ Ragna0088 on February 10th, 2014 at 10:24 pm said:

For those of you still wondering if there will be cross play for the vita and ps3 version:there won’t be and it was already put out there.Those of you that say you have both the console and vita version of BBCSE should/surely know that the feel for the flow of fights are completly different.One is smooth:PS3 the vita is well dunno to say if its faster paced or loose (loose or not I favor the game so much I stopped playing pso2 just to have it ready when I wanna play it).Also a ps4 version is HIGHLY unlikely since CP was meant to be an exclusive for the ps3 and we happened to get lucky for a vita version (saying port for this game is disrespectful to the series) since every other blazblue game save for the original continuum shift was on psp and the vita only got CSE which rounded up CT’s story in a better way imo so thats why we’re getting it on the go.

+ KanakanaKo_Exia on February 10th, 2014 at 11:36 pm said:

+ iREVOLTER on February 11th, 2014 at 1:27 am said:

Cross Play ? ;)

Please add it, cause its an amazing feature.

+ conda3 on February 11th, 2014 at 3:25 am said:

Will the Vita version have all the features in the PS3 version (like online lobbies)?

+ ZeroEden on February 11th, 2014 at 4:10 am said:

I have to ask, “Will the Ps3 version of the game be updated to include the added content of the Vita’s?”

This is really starting to worry me. It seems to be becoming a trend to make vita versions of games and adding content that the console version can’t get ahold of. It’s kind of putting the screws to the entire loyal fan who preorder the console version.

What’s really crazy is that BB CP hasn’t even come out here in the states, yet it’s already been replaced by its vita counterpart. “CONTENT WISE”

+ Sevyne on February 11th, 2014 at 10:23 am said:

I can understand why you’d be a little upset about it, but the PS3 version does have the excellent luxury of massive player lobbies and the Vita version does not. That and I’m pretty sure that in order to port to Vita it’s actually required to provide additional content in some form (unless it’s a multigame bundle). It also comes to PS3 before Vita. Trust me, the PS3 version is not being “replaced”. Most fighting game enthusiasts are getting the PS3 version regardless for lobbies, and the option to play with a fightstick. If you are in it for just story,etc then really it’s nothing significant anyway. It’s a simple beach event.

+ ArchdukeAlstein on February 11th, 2014 at 11:16 am said:

One question- will Kagura be unlockable via DLC like in the Japanese version? I don’t like grinding unlocks out.
I know Japan version does this, so assuming this will be the case in the US.

Second question/suggestion- any way to get this on PC eventually? (Would love to see this and the new Arcana Heart when that comes out on PC as well)

+ Ragna0088 on February 11th, 2014 at 3:00 pm said:

@61-Yes crossplay would be a good feature to add but I didstate whythey didn’t add it and also why it won’t work.

@65-Kagura isn’t DLC at all,you unlock him by beating themain story.Dunno where you got the idea of him being DLC if you read articlesabouthim being in the game because the majority say how to unlock him.Also its a good thing that youget him by beating the main story since he’s one hell of a good mix-up character.

+ Ragna0088 on February 11th, 2014 at 3:03 pm said:

Anyway its time to pratice more combos with Haku-Men so I won’t have issues playing against good combo users even though my main issues are my neutral game and defensive game since I play aggressive even with zoners although I can be good at both.

+ ZeroEden on February 11th, 2014 at 3:49 pm said:

@64 the fact of the matter, this is simply a ploy to get more money out of their core demographic. I can’t see too many people buying just the vita version of the game. That hasn’t already gotten the Ps3 version “Though I am sure there is”. So they are trying to get the core audience to buy not one but two copies of the game.

They essentially are selling an incomplete day one version of the game. Simply, so they can re-release it later with added stuff “New story/ DLC/ added characters/ Exclusive features.” to get the early adopters to have to re-buy the game again.

It’s not just Aksys. It’s almost becoming common practice to screw over they’re loyal early adopting fans in hopes to entice buyers that are on the fence or to simply boost revenue on an already developed game.

+ ZeroEden on February 11th, 2014 at 3:49 pm said:

Do you remember Dirt 3? They released that game for $60 with that “Exclusive VIP” crap. Than added a bunch of really expensive disc based DLC. If the early supporters bought the DLC they would have spent about $100 on that game. Than not even a year later they announce Dirt 3 Complete edition with all the DLC included. But they didn’t release this game for $60 but $40. Thus, royally screwing everyone of the loyal fans who stupidly supported they’re game from the get go and bought they’re over priced locked Disc content.

+ SilverChainsaw13 on February 25th, 2014 at 9:49 pm said:

Hello! My pal and I made our way through Continuum Shift Extend last year, loved it and have pre-ordered the Limited Edition for the PS3. I’ll be planning to get a copy for the Vita so I can play on my own once the summer hits and have a question in that regard…I know cross-saves and cross-DLC are supported but is there any word on whether the first print of the Vita edition will come with a code for Terumi or not? Thanks!

+ xTBX_FaTaL on March 3rd, 2014 at 5:08 pm said:

Will Terumi be a Pre Order bonus for Day One Digital as well as Retail copies?

+ tundranocaps on February 10th, 2014 at 12:08 pm said:

Yeah, pre-ordering it via amazon. The nendoroid petit must be mine.

I might still continue to play BlazBlue Continuum Shift Extend, because hey, different games :)

+ winterdust on February 10th, 2014 at 12:08 pm said:

Day 1 digital, please?

Mike Engler's Avatar

+ Frank "Bo" DeWindt II on February 10th, 2014 at 12:17 pm said:

Yup! It’ll be both physical and digital on the day of release.

+ AliciaDarky on February 10th, 2014 at 12:09 pm said:

Thank you so much for bringing this game to America (Conitnent)!
This is my favorite fighting game by far!
Good luck with sales, fans, everything! <3.

+ DOC_INCOGNITO on February 10th, 2014 at 12:10 pm said:

Amazing, totally getting the Vita version.

+ KazeEternal on February 10th, 2014 at 12:11 pm said:

Wish this was coming to PS4 :-/ Can we expect 1080p out of this? Looking forward to the new Guilty Gear :-D

+ ninjatuned on February 10th, 2014 at 12:20 pm said:

Any firm release date for the Vita?

Mike Engler's Avatar

+ Frank "Bo" DeWindt II on February 10th, 2014 at 12:25 pm said:

We’ll have a more solid release date in the future, but as of right now, it’s just Summer 2014 :)

+ winterdust on February 10th, 2014 at 12:21 pm said:

Awesome! Will grab day 1 on psn for sure. Love having all my fighting games right on the hard drive. ^_^

+ Elvick_ on February 10th, 2014 at 12:18 pm said:

I’d buy the PS3 version day 1 if it weren’t such a crowded time. ):

But I’ll definitely be buying the PS Vita version day 1! I assume retail as well right? You guys have been good about that, even with your PSP games.

Mike Engler's Avatar

+ Frank "Bo" DeWindt II on February 10th, 2014 at 12:20 pm said:

That’s correct! I’ll be both physical and digital as well.

+ Gorvi on February 10th, 2014 at 12:23 pm said:

Man, I saw that title and was thinking “There’s no way that’s for the Vita version too” and then you go and give me a nice surprise. Thank you!

Mike Engler's Avatar

+ Frank "Bo" DeWindt II on February 10th, 2014 at 12:25 pm said:

We’re happy to give you such a pleasant surprise! :)

+ HazBaz on February 10th, 2014 at 12:25 pm said:

Will the Terumi DLC code be offered with the digital version?

+ DREaGM on February 10th, 2014 at 12:27 pm said:

Will there be a PS4 port, and do you guys have a release date or time window for the next-gen Guilty Gear?

+ Sharingan_itachi on February 10th, 2014 at 12:27 pm said:

Collectors Edition for Vita version?

+ Caudill on February 10th, 2014 at 12:28 pm said:

Will the day 1 digital version include the free Terumi DLC as well? or just retail copies of the regular version and special edition?

+ BigRon3400 on February 10th, 2014 at 12:23 pm said:

I’d buy the heck out of this if it came to PS4.

+ Caudill on February 10th, 2014 at 12:24 pm said:

Wish this wasn’t still over a month away, it’s been SO HARD not to pull the trigger on an import copy so I could finally start playing this with my buddies, I probably just should have…

That said, thank you for continuing to bring these out over here! I have my copy preordered and while the wait has been less than ideal, I really am looking forward to finally playing it!

PAGE 1 2