Far Cry 4

BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma Special Edition, Features Detailed

Mike Engler's Avatar + Posted by Mike Engler on Feb 10, 2014 // Editor, Aksys Games

BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma

Greetings, and welcome to another missive from the mighty Aksys Citadel. As the North American launch of BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma draws ever closer, we thought it’d be good idea to talk a little bit about the game — especially all the new features and characters, not to mention the special edition and all of its various doodads. So without further ado, let’s BlazBlue!

BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma for PS3

First of all, there are a few system changes in Chrono Phantasma that set it apart from previous versions of the game. One of the most obvious additions is the Overdrive ability. By initiating Overdrive, you’ll be able to amplify a character’s overall skills and abilities for a set period of time. When Overdrive is active, the stage will go dark, letting you know it’s time to get down to business. When used to its fullest, the Overdrive system will allow a player to turn the tide of battle and snatch victory from the jaws of defeat!

Another big change is to the Network/Online portion of the game. The number of options available to the online warrior is, to be incredibly hyperbolic, mindboggling. In addition to the previous nifty options (customizable lobbies that let players set the number of participants, skill level, etc.), players can now chat with each other publicly (or feud privately) and play through the various single-player options while waiting for online challengers via the all-new Entry mode.

As for the new characters, there are seven in total, each with their own unique play styles, challenge modes, and roles in the ever-expanding BlazBlue mythos. Amane Nishiki, Bullet, Azrael, Izayoi, Yuuki Terumi, Kagura Mutsuki, and Kokonoe join the returning cast of characters, bringing the roster count up to an awe-inspiring twenty six!

BlazBlue: Chrono PhantasmaBlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma

And finally, let’s not forget the special edition. In addition to the game (which is a given with any special edition… hopefully), those fortunate enough to get this wondrous, deluxe release will also get a nifty art book, a CD of sweet, sweet BlazBlue music, a handy-dandy move guide, and an informative blu-ray chock full of developer interviews, an episode of Bururaji H, and the first episode of Alter Memory! Also included is a Nendoroid petite figure of everyone’s favorite caustically sarcastic, eternally bitter loli-goth immortal vampire, Rachel Alucard.

Oh yes, and all special editions AND first-run copies of BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma will come with an insert containing a DLC code for everyone’s favorite maniacal troll, Yuuki Terumi!

Whelp, as it seems I’m out of time and room (and exclamation points), I think I’ll just end things here for now. Thanks for reading, and if you have any questions, comments, or random thoughts please poke at us on Twitter at @aksysgames or on Facebook.

BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma for PS Vita

Oh, I’m back. Miss me? Of course you did. After waxing poetic about the PS3 version of BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma, I was informed that we’re also going to be releasing the PS Vita version as well, and was “asked” by the powers that be to type a few things about the portable version of our truly awesome 2D fighter. While much of everything I already gushed about holds true in regards to the handheld version, there are a few new bits and bobs we feel you’ll want to know.

BlazBlue: Chrono PhantasmaBlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma

BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma

All screenshots from the PS3 version.

Just to put your minds (and wallets) at ease, all of the DLC for the game is cross-compatible. So if you bought a color pack or an additional character for the PS3 version, you can also use that content on the Vita as well. Now you can perfect your rage-inducing Kokonoe corner-combos while she’s clad in any number of different color palette options.

Another new, nifty addition is an extra story mode featuring Ragna, Noel, Celica and Kagura as they frolic in the clear blue waves of one of the few beaches not completely annihilated by the Black Beast. Not sure who/what the Black Beast is? Don’t worry, as summaries for the stories of Calamity Trigger and Continuum Shift are included to help you get up to speed on the current events in the BlazBlue universe.

And to wrap things up for now, the ever-popular Abyss mode has been enhanced in a number of weird and wondrous ways! No, really; we think you’ll like what we’ve done, so please be excited!

Anyway, thanks for reading, and if you have any questions, comments, or random thoughts please let us know.

PAGE 1 2

+ tundranocaps on February 10th, 2014 at 12:08 pm said:

Yeah, pre-ordering it via amazon. The nendoroid petit must be mine.

I might still continue to play BlazBlue Continuum Shift Extend, because hey, different games :)

+ winterdust on February 10th, 2014 at 12:08 pm said:

Day 1 digital, please?

Mike Engler's Avatar

+ Frank “Bo” DeWindt II on February 10th, 2014 at 12:17 pm said:

Yup! It’ll be both physical and digital on the day of release.

+ AliciaDarky on February 10th, 2014 at 12:09 pm said:

Thank you so much for bringing this game to America (Conitnent)!
This is my favorite fighting game by far!
Good luck with sales, fans, everything! <3.

+ DOC_INCOGNITO on February 10th, 2014 at 12:10 pm said:

Amazing, totally getting the Vita version.

+ KazeEternal on February 10th, 2014 at 12:11 pm said:

Wish this was coming to PS4 :-/ Can we expect 1080p out of this? Looking forward to the new Guilty Gear :-D

+ Elvick_ on February 10th, 2014 at 12:18 pm said:

I’d buy the PS3 version day 1 if it weren’t such a crowded time. ):

But I’ll definitely be buying the PS Vita version day 1! I assume retail as well right? You guys have been good about that, even with your PSP games.

Mike Engler's Avatar

+ Frank “Bo” DeWindt II on February 10th, 2014 at 12:20 pm said:

That’s correct! I’ll be both physical and digital as well.

+ ninjatuned on February 10th, 2014 at 12:20 pm said:

Any firm release date for the Vita?

Mike Engler's Avatar

+ Frank “Bo” DeWindt II on February 10th, 2014 at 12:25 pm said:

We’ll have a more solid release date in the future, but as of right now, it’s just Summer 2014 :)

+ winterdust on February 10th, 2014 at 12:21 pm said:

Awesome! Will grab day 1 on psn for sure. Love having all my fighting games right on the hard drive. ^_^

+ Gorvi on February 10th, 2014 at 12:23 pm said:

Man, I saw that title and was thinking “There’s no way that’s for the Vita version too” and then you go and give me a nice surprise. Thank you!

Mike Engler's Avatar

+ Frank “Bo” DeWindt II on February 10th, 2014 at 12:25 pm said:

We’re happy to give you such a pleasant surprise! :)

+ BigRon3400 on February 10th, 2014 at 12:23 pm said:

I’d buy the heck out of this if it came to PS4.

+ Caudill on February 10th, 2014 at 12:24 pm said:

Wish this wasn’t still over a month away, it’s been SO HARD not to pull the trigger on an import copy so I could finally start playing this with my buddies, I probably just should have…

That said, thank you for continuing to bring these out over here! I have my copy preordered and while the wait has been less than ideal, I really am looking forward to finally playing it!

+ BlueBl1zzard on February 10th, 2014 at 12:25 pm said:

Continuum Shift EXTEND was my first BlazBlue game (thanks for making it free for PS+ by the way) and I had no idea how much I would enjoy that game. That said, I’m very much considering getting this one, so thanks for bringing it over (and for bringing it to the vita)!

+ HazBaz on February 10th, 2014 at 12:25 pm said:

Will the Terumi DLC code be offered with the digital version?

+ DREaGM on February 10th, 2014 at 12:27 pm said:

Will there be a PS4 port, and do you guys have a release date or time window for the next-gen Guilty Gear?

+ Sharingan_itachi on February 10th, 2014 at 12:27 pm said:

Collectors Edition for Vita version?

+ Caudill on February 10th, 2014 at 12:28 pm said:

Will the day 1 digital version include the free Terumi DLC as well? or just retail copies of the regular version and special edition?

+ TheOathsworn on February 10th, 2014 at 12:28 pm said:

Already have the special edition pre-ordered at my local retailer. Blazblue is the only fighter I ever really got into, so can`t wait to get the next entry.

+ Elvick_ on February 10th, 2014 at 12:29 pm said:

Thanks for the confirmation on Vita retail. It’s always nice to have a confirmation. :3

Stay awesome guys!

+ daverhodus on February 10th, 2014 at 12:29 pm said:

I would buy this for PS4. I don’t own a PS3 or Vita anymore.

+ CatatonicAlex on February 10th, 2014 at 12:32 pm said:

Even though I suck at these games I still buy them the day they’re released (vita.)
Hopefully the vita get the new Guilty Gear game. I miss Bridget.

+ Mikaa1701 on February 10th, 2014 at 12:33 pm said:

Just to be clear, this is getting a physical Vita release?

+ winterdust on February 10th, 2014 at 12:38 pm said:

Publishers are usually very quiet about digital releases getting preorder DLC (obviously they want retail preorders to be as high as possible). However, I buy everything digitally, and I have definitely received “preorder” DLC with digital releases even when it wasn’t advertised.

I hope that’s the case with BB:CP, but either way I’m getting digital.

+ RE_Player on February 10th, 2014 at 12:47 pm said:

Getting this on Vita for sure.

+ D-Squad3 on February 10th, 2014 at 12:50 pm said:

PS4 please?

+ liammill18 on February 10th, 2014 at 12:53 pm said:

Definitely grabbing the retail Vita version. Very glad to hear it’s coming here.

+ liammill18 on February 10th, 2014 at 12:54 pm said:

Also, can’t wait for more news on Mind=0! Any word on when we might hear more?

Mike Engler's Avatar

+ Frank “Bo” DeWindt II on February 10th, 2014 at 2:17 pm said:

Hopefully soon! Keep your eyes peeled on our official website and social media pages~

+ xClayMeow on February 10th, 2014 at 12:57 pm said:

Will the Special Edition be available for Vita too? It’s a bit unclear.

I never played BlazBlue until BB:CSE was IGC and I was completely blown away, especially with the incredibly addicting Abyss mode. In fact, I had always preferred 3D fighters rather than 2D fighters until BB:CSE came along. SO THANK YOU FOR THAT!

Mike Engler's Avatar

+ Frank “Bo” DeWindt II on February 10th, 2014 at 2:18 pm said:

The Limited Edition is currently on available for PS3 (Can pre-order on Amazon/GameStop).

The VITA version is still TBD.

+ viceforce on February 10th, 2014 at 1:04 pm said:

Does Chrono Phantasma carry over the Stylish play style that was in Continuum Shift Extend? That really made the game enjoyable for me because I’m not good at fighting games.

+ TheExiled12894 on February 10th, 2014 at 1:23 pm said:

I love you guys. So quick with the Vita version localization. :D

I’ll be grabbing the PS3 LE next month and the Vita version day one. ^_^

+ Pics_nao_plz on February 10th, 2014 at 1:26 pm said:

So uh, any possible chance of there being a cross play patch down the line sort of like Dragon’s Crown? Getting the Special Edition Day one on PS3 but commuting between NJ and NY for school leaves me with 2 days to play online. >_>

+ Ragna0088 on February 10th, 2014 at 1:48 pm said:

@28-Annoyingly,stylish is in this game too.I wish they’d restrict that when it came to playing online since it gives the stylish user a majoradvantage when everythin starts lagging balls (don’t think of the other) and its also bothersome since people could use ragna (for example.I hate my psn name and would gladly oay cash to change it..) and use inferno divider when a round starts with a single button.I also hate it because unlike alot of fighters that I’ve played a single combo can rip away half of someone’s HP bar so stylish is a low blow right there since all they have to do is focus on blocking knowing that they don’t have to struggle/bother inputting commands.

+ Sevyne on February 10th, 2014 at 1:55 pm said:

Aksys, you truly are the heroes the Vita needs. Your support for it so far has been unmatched in the west. That said, I’ll be getting the Vita version day 1.

+ Tjoeb123 on February 10th, 2014 at 1:59 pm said:

Vita version = YEESSS!! I LOVE YOU AKSYS…but….will there be a Limited Edition for the Vita version (hopefully with the same contents as the PS3 one)? ‘Cause I’d rather play it on my PS Vita and see Noel and Rachael wearing swimsuits…but I don’t want to give up my preorder on the PS3 LE version, either…

+ SWITCH_00599 on February 10th, 2014 at 2:06 pm said:

IT …LOOKS.. AWESOME!!! cant wait to get my hands on it :D “The Wheel of Fate is Turning..REBEL 1, ACTION!!!”

+ shogun00 on February 10th, 2014 at 2:07 pm said:

I already have the LE preordered at my local GameStop. March 25th can’t come soon enough.

+ pablofsi08 on February 10th, 2014 at 2:14 pm said:

- Any chance of a PS4 version?
- Does it use GGPO or does it bring that horrible 5 input delay frames by default thing? I don’t want to play my friends under 30ms with 5 delay frames when we could have zero with GGPO netcode.

+ neko-destroyer on February 10th, 2014 at 2:31 pm said:

PREORDERD

I need this, petit figure and all, in my life

+ neko-destroyer on February 10th, 2014 at 2:34 pm said:

Also, not to be pushy, but a certain lovable scientist is rumored to be leaving her lab. Any available info on when we should be keeping an eye out for her?

+ Unseen_BK-201 on February 10th, 2014 at 2:35 pm said:

Quick question. Is Kokonoe going to be paid DLC just like in the Japanese version of the game?

+ ZELGADIZ-PLUS on February 10th, 2014 at 2:40 pm said:

PS VITA!!!!!!! Day 1 digital

+ Dantes_Ragnarok on February 10th, 2014 at 2:55 pm said:

Any chances of BB avatars coming to PSN? (dont forget to add a bundle for PS+ users)
come on guys, we’ve been requesting them for a long time.
Yuuki Terumi, cant wait to see you!

+ Unseen_BK-201 on February 10th, 2014 at 3:56 pm said:

Thank you for the quick reply Frank. I look forward to playing the game!

+ chrisruls002 on February 10th, 2014 at 4:09 pm said:

Nice to hear about the Vita version, I love on the go fighting. I have a question about the Yuuki Terumi DLC though. If I buy Digital will I still be able to get it? I prefer Digital Downloads but I don’t wanna miss out on a whole character cause of it.

+ Revannefarious on February 10th, 2014 at 4:16 pm said:

You can be darn sure I’m picking this up on Vita when it comes out. Blazblue: Continuum Shift Extend was my first pickup for the Vita, and I enjoyed it immensely.

The wait for this… It’s goin’ to drive me nuts.

+ Kchow23 on February 10th, 2014 at 4:17 pm said:

I am confused, so is this a brand new game or the previous game with DLC?

Mike Engler's Avatar

+ Frank “Bo” DeWindt II on February 10th, 2014 at 4:39 pm said:

This is a brand new game in the BlazBlue universe :)

However, there are also two DLC characters that you can purchase, among other kinds of DLC.

+ NSDI on February 10th, 2014 at 4:24 pm said:

Have pre-ordered the PS3 version. Day 1 digital copy of Vita version also!

+ PZDugna on February 10th, 2014 at 4:56 pm said:

I own every main Blazblue except the PSP games I have also bought multiple CT and CS and also owned CSEX on both PS3 and Vita so I will definitely be double dipping on this as well, just no money for the CE though =/ owell Vita version will still be fun since the Dpad on the Vita is amazing.

+ PZDugna on February 10th, 2014 at 4:57 pm said:

Also congrats to Blazblue team, Yall got into EVO for some more marketing :D

Mike Engler's Avatar

+ Frank “Bo” DeWindt II on February 10th, 2014 at 4:58 pm said:

Thanks! :)

We’re very honored and privileged to have BBCP be in EVO this year!

+ gold_og_roger on February 10th, 2014 at 5:20 pm said:

This will hold me over until Guilty Gear Xrd hits!

+ gold_og_roger on February 10th, 2014 at 5:24 pm said:

Will this have Crossplay for PS3 vs Vita users?

PAGE 1 2