Street Fighter V

Feb 10

BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma Special Edition, Features Detailed

Mike Engler's Avatar Posted by Mike Engler on Feb 10, 2014 // Editor, Aksys Games

BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma

Greetings, and welcome to another missive from the mighty Aksys Citadel. As the North American launch of BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma draws ever closer, we thought it’d be good idea to talk a little bit about the game — especially all the new features and characters, not to mention the special edition and all of its various doodads. So without further ado, let’s BlazBlue!

BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma for PS3

First of all, there are a few system changes in Chrono Phantasma that set it apart from previous versions of the game. One of the most obvious additions is the Overdrive ability. By initiating Overdrive, you’ll be able to amplify a character’s overall skills and abilities for a set period of time. When Overdrive is active, the stage will go dark, letting you know it’s time to get down to business. When used to its fullest, the Overdrive system will allow a player to turn the tide of battle and snatch victory from the jaws of defeat!

Another big change is to the Network/Online portion of the game. The number of options available to the online warrior is, to be incredibly hyperbolic, mindboggling. In addition to the previous nifty options (customizable lobbies that let players set the number of participants, skill level, etc.), players can now chat with each other publicly (or feud privately) and play through the various single-player options while waiting for online challengers via the all-new Entry mode.

As for the new characters, there are seven in total, each with their own unique play styles, challenge modes, and roles in the ever-expanding BlazBlue mythos. Amane Nishiki, Bullet, Azrael, Izayoi, Yuuki Terumi, Kagura Mutsuki, and Kokonoe join the returning cast of characters, bringing the roster count up to an awe-inspiring twenty six!

BlazBlue: Chrono PhantasmaBlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma

And finally, let’s not forget the special edition. In addition to the game (which is a given with any special edition… hopefully), those fortunate enough to get this wondrous, deluxe release will also get a nifty art book, a CD of sweet, sweet BlazBlue music, a handy-dandy move guide, and an informative blu-ray chock full of developer interviews, an episode of Bururaji H, and the first episode of Alter Memory! Also included is a Nendoroid petite figure of everyone’s favorite caustically sarcastic, eternally bitter loli-goth immortal vampire, Rachel Alucard.

Oh yes, and all special editions AND first-run copies of BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma will come with an insert containing a DLC code for everyone’s favorite maniacal troll, Yuuki Terumi!

Whelp, as it seems I’m out of time and room (and exclamation points), I think I’ll just end things here for now. Thanks for reading, and if you have any questions, comments, or random thoughts please poke at us on Twitter at @aksysgames or on Facebook.

BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma for PS Vita

Oh, I’m back. Miss me? Of course you did. After waxing poetic about the PS3 version of BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma, I was informed that we’re also going to be releasing the PS Vita version as well, and was “asked” by the powers that be to type a few things about the portable version of our truly awesome 2D fighter. While much of everything I already gushed about holds true in regards to the handheld version, there are a few new bits and bobs we feel you’ll want to know.

BlazBlue: Chrono PhantasmaBlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma

BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma

All screenshots from the PS3 version.

Just to put your minds (and wallets) at ease, all of the DLC for the game is cross-compatible. So if you bought a color pack or an additional character for the PS3 version, you can also use that content on the Vita as well. Now you can perfect your rage-inducing Kokonoe corner-combos while she’s clad in any number of different color palette options.

Another new, nifty addition is an extra story mode featuring Ragna, Noel, Celica and Kagura as they frolic in the clear blue waves of one of the few beaches not completely annihilated by the Black Beast. Not sure who/what the Black Beast is? Don’t worry, as summaries for the stories of Calamity Trigger and Continuum Shift are included to help you get up to speed on the current events in the BlazBlue universe.

And to wrap things up for now, the ever-popular Abyss mode has been enhanced in a number of weird and wondrous ways! No, really; we think you’ll like what we’ve done, so please be excited!

Anyway, thanks for reading, and if you have any questions, comments, or random thoughts please let us know.

PAGE 1 2

+ BlueBl1zzard on February 10th, 2014 at 12:25 pm said:

Continuum Shift EXTEND was my first BlazBlue game (thanks for making it free for PS+ by the way) and I had no idea how much I would enjoy that game. That said, I’m very much considering getting this one, so thanks for bringing it over (and for bringing it to the vita)!

+ TheOathsworn on February 10th, 2014 at 12:28 pm said:

Already have the special edition pre-ordered at my local retailer. Blazblue is the only fighter I ever really got into, so can`t wait to get the next entry.

+ Elvick_ on February 10th, 2014 at 12:29 pm said:

Thanks for the confirmation on Vita retail. It’s always nice to have a confirmation. :3

Stay awesome guys!

+ daverhodus on February 10th, 2014 at 12:29 pm said:

I would buy this for PS4. I don’t own a PS3 or Vita anymore.

+ CatatonicAlex on February 10th, 2014 at 12:32 pm said:

Even though I suck at these games I still buy them the day they’re released (vita.)
Hopefully the vita get the new Guilty Gear game. I miss Bridget.

+ Mikaa1701 on February 10th, 2014 at 12:33 pm said:

Just to be clear, this is getting a physical Vita release?

+ winterdust on February 10th, 2014 at 12:38 pm said:

Publishers are usually very quiet about digital releases getting preorder DLC (obviously they want retail preorders to be as high as possible). However, I buy everything digitally, and I have definitely received “preorder” DLC with digital releases even when it wasn’t advertised.

I hope that’s the case with BB:CP, but either way I’m getting digital.

+ RE_Player on February 10th, 2014 at 12:47 pm said:

Getting this on Vita for sure.

+ D-Squad3 on February 10th, 2014 at 12:50 pm said:

PS4 please?

+ liammill18 on February 10th, 2014 at 12:53 pm said:

Definitely grabbing the retail Vita version. Very glad to hear it’s coming here.

+ liammill18 on February 10th, 2014 at 12:54 pm said:

Also, can’t wait for more news on Mind=0! Any word on when we might hear more?

Mike Engler's Avatar

+ Frank "Bo" DeWindt II on February 10th, 2014 at 2:17 pm said:

Hopefully soon! Keep your eyes peeled on our official website and social media pages~

+ xClayMeow on February 10th, 2014 at 12:57 pm said:

Will the Special Edition be available for Vita too? It’s a bit unclear.

I never played BlazBlue until BB:CSE was IGC and I was completely blown away, especially with the incredibly addicting Abyss mode. In fact, I had always preferred 3D fighters rather than 2D fighters until BB:CSE came along. SO THANK YOU FOR THAT!

Mike Engler's Avatar

+ Frank "Bo" DeWindt II on February 10th, 2014 at 2:18 pm said:

The Limited Edition is currently on available for PS3 (Can pre-order on Amazon/GameStop).

The VITA version is still TBD.

+ viceforce on February 10th, 2014 at 1:04 pm said:

Does Chrono Phantasma carry over the Stylish play style that was in Continuum Shift Extend? That really made the game enjoyable for me because I’m not good at fighting games.

Mike Engler's Avatar

+ Frank "Bo" DeWindt II on February 10th, 2014 at 2:19 pm said:

Yup! Stylish mode is also used in BBCP as well!

+ TheExiled12894 on February 10th, 2014 at 1:23 pm said:

I love you guys. So quick with the Vita version localization. :D

I’ll be grabbing the PS3 LE next month and the Vita version day one. ^_^

+ Pics_nao_plz on February 10th, 2014 at 1:26 pm said:

So uh, any possible chance of there being a cross play patch down the line sort of like Dragon’s Crown? Getting the Special Edition Day one on PS3 but commuting between NJ and NY for school leaves me with 2 days to play online. >_>

+ Ragna0088 on February 10th, 2014 at 1:48 pm said:

@28-Annoyingly,stylish is in this game too.I wish they’d restrict that when it came to playing online since it gives the stylish user a majoradvantage when everythin starts lagging balls (don’t think of the other) and its also bothersome since people could use ragna (for example.I hate my psn name and would gladly oay cash to change it..) and use inferno divider when a round starts with a single button.I also hate it because unlike alot of fighters that I’ve played a single combo can rip away half of someone’s HP bar so stylish is a low blow right there since all they have to do is focus on blocking knowing that they don’t have to struggle/bother inputting commands.

+ Sevyne on February 10th, 2014 at 1:55 pm said:

Aksys, you truly are the heroes the Vita needs. Your support for it so far has been unmatched in the west. That said, I’ll be getting the Vita version day 1.

+ Tjoeb123 on February 10th, 2014 at 1:59 pm said:

Vita version = YEESSS!! I LOVE YOU AKSYS…but….will there be a Limited Edition for the Vita version (hopefully with the same contents as the PS3 one)? ‘Cause I’d rather play it on my PS Vita and see Noel and Rachael wearing swimsuits…but I don’t want to give up my preorder on the PS3 LE version, either…

+ SWITCH_00599 on February 10th, 2014 at 2:06 pm said:

IT …LOOKS.. AWESOME!!! cant wait to get my hands on it :D “The Wheel of Fate is Turning..REBEL 1, ACTION!!!”

+ shogun00 on February 10th, 2014 at 2:07 pm said:

I already have the LE preordered at my local GameStop. March 25th can’t come soon enough.

+ pablofsi08 on February 10th, 2014 at 2:14 pm said:

– Any chance of a PS4 version?
– Does it use GGPO or does it bring that horrible 5 input delay frames by default thing? I don’t want to play my friends under 30ms with 5 delay frames when we could have zero with GGPO netcode.

PAGE 1 2