PS4 - The Last of Us Remastered

Skullgirls Encore Launching on February 11th

Peter Bartholow's Avatar + Posted by Peter Bartholow on Feb 10, 2014 // CEO, Lab Zero Games

UPDATE: If you’re an owner of Skullgirls, your Skullgirls Encore upgrade voucher is expected to be sent to your PlayStation ID’s message box starting tonight around 10:00pm, Pacific Time.

We’ve got some big news: Skullgirls Encore is launching on February 11th!

…wait, what? Isn’t Skullgirls already out?

It was! But it’s currently not.

To release the new content funded by our successful Indiegogo campaign, Skullgirls had to undergo a painful publisher transition, one that required removing the game from the store entirely and resubmitting it. But don’t worry — everyone who previously purchased Skullgirls will receive Skullgirls Encore and the DLC Character Color Bundle free, which we’ll detail at the end of this post.

If you haven’t checked out Skullgirls since its original launch in April 2012, you’ll find a lot of new features in Skullgirls Encore:

• Literally hundreds of gameplay and balance tweaks
  • Faster gameplay
  • The new “Drama” meter keeps combos from getting too long without compromising creativity
  • Hugely expanded training mode, and still some of the best tutorials in the fighting game genre
  • Improved online play
  • Gorgeous new stages, with new music from the amazing Michiru Yamane
  • Five free DLC characters coming in 2014

Skullgirls EncoreSkullgirls Encore

For an exhaustive list of all the changes since we released the Skullgirls “Slightly Different Edition” patch in November of 2012, go here.

These are but a few of the many reasons why fighting game destination Shoryuken.com voted the PC version of Skullgirls Encore the Best Fighting Game of 2013. So if you’ve never played the game before or haven’t checked it out in a while, next week is a great time to do both.

And, to celebrate the launch of Encore, we’re also giving away the Character Color Bundle free for a limited time.

Meet Squigly

The first DLC character funded by our Indiegogo campaign, Squigly, will also be released alongside Skullgirls Encore next Tuesday. Our console fans have been waiting very patiently for this, and I think they’ll find she’s worth the wait.

Squigly is an undead opera singer, and host to the powerful dragon-like parasite, Leviathan. Like many before her, she has a tragic past and a beef with the Medici Mafia, all of which are explored in her touching story.

Squigly is a highly technical character that’s difficult to master, but still has strong and accessible fundamentals everyone can enjoy. She also has some really unique special attacks, as well: Center Stage lets you forcibly move the camera to drag your opponent in, and when powered up it can even create temporary false corners to combo against. There’s a lot to learn, but — like all of our other characters — Squigly comes with complete tutorials to help you get the basics down.

All of her complexity has made her one of our biggest characters yet, with over 1,700 frames of the high-res, feature-quality animation Lab Zero Games is known for.

As promised, all of Skullgirls Encore’s DLC characters will be completely free for a limited time after release. So by downloading Skullgirls Encore next week, you’ll not only get Squigly free, you’ll also be able to get the other four new characters we’ll be releasing the next year free, as well!

Skullgirls EncoreSkullgirls Encore

Skullgirls Encore

So enjoy Squigly, and remember that you still have Big Band, Eliza, Beowulf, and Robo-Fortune to look forward to. We’re currently targeting a March release for Big Band, so you won’t have to wait long for the next free character, either.

Upgrading to Skullgirls Encore

As I mentioned before, if you owned the previous version of Skullgirls, you’re entitled to download Skullgirls Encore completely free.

Here’s how to get it:

1. Check your PSN messages on your XMB
  2. You’ll receive an XMB message from “Skullgirls” with a link to a free voucher for Skullgirls Encore
  3. Click the link in the XMB message, which will redeem the voucher and take you to PlayStation Store to download Skullgirls Encore
  4. Be sure to also download the Squigly Character Unlock and Character Color Bundle DLC — both are free for a limited time!
  5. After the download is complete, please delete the current version of Skullgirls, as it will no longer be supported
  6. Enjoy!

Technically, as far as your PS3 is concerned, Skullgirls Encore is an entirely new game. So unfortunately your old save data won’t work, and you’ll have a second set of the original Trophies to collect.

In Conclusion…

From our Indiegogo success to our publisher difficulties, 2013 was a rollercoaster of a year for Skullgirls and Lab Zero Games. But with Skullgirls Encore finally coming back to console with frequent updates and free characters, we think the game will have great momentum in 2014.

PAGE 1 2 3 5

+ EddyC__ on February 10th, 2014 at 11:05 am said:

I guess it’s about time to pick up Skull Girls. Though I have been enjoying that lovely soundtrack, such awesome music.

+ Epictacosam on February 10th, 2014 at 11:14 am said:

Cant wait to download this just for the online play improvements alone!

Thank you Labzero for letting us download the color packs and squiggly free.

+ Peter Bartholow on February 10th, 2014 at 6:34 pm said:

Based on the PC version, the online improvements are significant. And we’ll be adding lobbies and spectator mode to the console version in upcoming patches, too.

And we made the color pack free just because there was no easy way to transition it from existing buyers. But given all the hassle this transition has caused for people, we felt it was a nice little gift.

+ k0wb0y-b33b0p on February 10th, 2014 at 11:14 am said:

Bought the original Skullgirls when it first appeared and I’m genuinely excited for the new version with all its updates. I just have one question:

Why on earth hasn’t this been ported to the Vita. I would LOVE to have this on the go and can only imagine the vibrant colors poppin’ on that OLED screen.

+ Peter Bartholow on February 10th, 2014 at 6:35 pm said:

Heh, we’re exploring other platforms, now that the PC version is out. That’s all I can say.

But we’re a small team with limited resources, and finding contract programmers to handle this stuff isn’t that easy.

+ Hraesvlgr on February 10th, 2014 at 11:29 am said:

Extremely excited about this! Can’t wait to try Squiggly out!

+ Sorahl213 on February 10th, 2014 at 11:34 am said:

Really excited that Skullgirls, in a sense, is getting the well deserved reboot onto consoles. Skullgirls is definitely one of the most impressive fighting games in the industry in all departments: visuals, gameplay, depth, variety, online.
Great job Lab Zero Games! Can’t wait to jump back into Skullgirls with the improvements and a new character after a long hiatus!
Really hope Skullgirls hits future EVOs. It deserves the attention

+ Peter Bartholow on February 10th, 2014 at 6:35 pm said:

Thanks for all the kind words, man!

+ Biggz124 on February 10th, 2014 at 11:41 am said:

please release some avatars for Skullgirls!

+ Peter Bartholow on February 10th, 2014 at 6:36 pm said:

Haha, I need to do this – we made around 80, but have been so busy we keep forgetting to release them.

Once all this console transition stuff is over, I’ll work on getting them out.

+ Sorahl213 on February 10th, 2014 at 11:43 am said:

And thanks for the free upgrade for those who bought the original game, as well as the free characters and colors pack. :)

+ Goldanas on February 10th, 2014 at 11:46 am said:

Appreciate the free update. I thought it strange that it had some weird hoops to go through, but I imagine changing publishers involves lots of legal concerns over ownership of specific software, so I’m glad that PSN seems to be able to accommodate it in another way that’s been quite effective for other promotions.

I like what you guys are doing as a developer and company, and I’m glad that you’re sticking to your labor of love out of just that.

I hope your generosity also begets you good fortune.

+ Peter Bartholow on February 10th, 2014 at 6:38 pm said:

Very few games have undergone this sort of transition – it’s kind of new territory for everyone involved, and no ones’ systems were really designed with this kind of event in mind.

Sony has been extremely helpful in holding my hand through this process – we sent them gifts and everything for their patience.

+ DOC_INCOGNITO on February 10th, 2014 at 11:56 am said:

Awesome work! i would love to have this on my Vita, it feels natural for fighters.

+ winterdust on February 10th, 2014 at 12:13 pm said:

Can’t wait to jump back into Skullgirls! With this and BB:CP coming soon, my fighting game hunger will be satiated until Ultra SFIV, Persona Suplex, and GG Xrd. Just hoping some of these get PS4 releases as well.

+ BlueBl1zzard on February 10th, 2014 at 12:15 pm said:

Sorry to hear about you guys’ publisher troubles, but I’m glad to see everything is (more or less) straightened out : )
I bought Skullgirls some time ago and really enjoyed it (especially the story and the relationships between the characters which I wasn’t expecting!) I definitely need to get back into it, so this seems as good a time as any.

Oh and like some other commenters have already said, PLLLEEEEAAASSSEE try to bring Skullgirls to vita! It seems like such a good fit for the console, and you guys would have a guaranteed buy from me.

+ Peter Bartholow on February 10th, 2014 at 6:39 pm said:

We’re definitely letting our publisher know that there’s a lot of stated demand for a Vita version.

+ D-Squad3 on February 10th, 2014 at 12:18 pm said:

PS4 version please

+ Elvick_ on February 10th, 2014 at 12:20 pm said:

So, what are the chances of PS Vita version in the future? I wouldn’t even mind backing a port if that’s what was needed. I’d love to have it on Vita.

+ MT-Dominator0 on February 10th, 2014 at 12:27 pm said:

Glad to have this gem back on the Playstation Store :).

+ Peter Bartholow on February 10th, 2014 at 6:40 pm said:

And we’re glad to have it back up!

Having our baby taken off the shelves was mildly traumatic.

+ Gamerzlimited on February 10th, 2014 at 12:30 pm said:

Bought the original game on sale for $3.75. A great game, but pretty difficult to master the combos. Can’t wait to download the new version and play as Squigly. :)

Also, so much for trophies being a separate set though. Looks like I’ll have to hide the old set since they’re stuck at 0% due to me having no motivation to obtain them.

+ MapleStory on February 10th, 2014 at 12:40 pm said:

Congrats to Lab Zero on finally overcoming all the nonsense they had to deal with over the past few months AND for finally managing to get Skullgirls Encore onto consoles! Keep up the great work, guys. Next stop, EVO 2014!

+ Peter Bartholow on February 10th, 2014 at 6:40 pm said:

#BiggestSideTournamentEver

+ Tinye310 on February 10th, 2014 at 12:46 pm said:

I have to say that I really do not enjoy the fighting genre but I purchased skullgirls on steam last year and it seriously is an amazing game and I have such a blast playing it. I only play the AI >.> but I enjoy that :) Here’s to the future of Skullgirls!

+ Vcheese on February 10th, 2014 at 1:04 pm said:

Thanks!

+ Overlord_Haze on February 10th, 2014 at 1:56 pm said:

I can’t wait, this is my favorite fighting game on the market today!

+ Mesoian on February 10th, 2014 at 2:05 pm said:

Looks like it’s time to get my Big Band cosplay in order.

+ PainOfSarrow on February 10th, 2014 at 2:06 pm said:

pretty kool. i got this game for 7$ on sale a few months ago. free dlc and all now. perfect.

+ TJF588 on February 10th, 2014 at 2:29 pm said:

“Typing of the Skullgirls”, yo.

…That is all.

+ Peter Bartholow on February 10th, 2014 at 9:41 pm said:

gottatypefast!

+ No-Gaems- on February 10th, 2014 at 2:30 pm said:

Can I still use the old one to unlock trophies altogether?

+ Peter Bartholow on February 10th, 2014 at 6:41 pm said:

Sure, you can do whatever you want! The old game will still run, but we’re just trying to get people playing the new one online, etc. and not fragment the community.

+ Souledge94 on February 10th, 2014 at 2:57 pm said:

were getting Robo-Fortune.AWESOME. Shes my favorite character so getting a robo version of her is dang cool.

+ Psionic_Terror on February 10th, 2014 at 3:50 pm said:

oh ok, so we’re getting this voucher tomorrow? and yes I agree with the posts relating to the vita release, come on man T^T

+ strykerjr on February 10th, 2014 at 7:14 pm said:

never bought the game, but played the demo before the transition, played it @ my friends online, and everyone spammed Valentine -_-. even after the problems you guys had. I still mite consider the game. I just hope Squigly isn’t the new Valentine and there will be more updates in the near future.

+ Peter Bartholow on February 10th, 2014 at 7:18 pm said:

The balance has been extensively tested and adjusted, based on beta feedback from the PC version.

No other fighting game has an on-going public beta like this, and we believe Skullgirls is really well-balanced as a result.

+ purse317 on February 10th, 2014 at 7:54 pm said:

My granny is a huge fighting game nut yeah I know I said granny she’s 66 and loves females characters in fighting games now she has another game to kick my but in geez

On a side note BRAVO I love the idea and hope for a sequel on next gen consoles sometime down the road

+ Joshelplex on February 10th, 2014 at 8:40 pm said:

How about a PS4 port down the road?

+ DJPlace on February 10th, 2014 at 9:41 pm said:

glad this is coming out for ps3 i bought the PC to support Labzero but i never played it has much… cause of i do not like PC gaming at all… still this is good. when do we expect to see this message BTW?

+ Dsoul_Thekiller on February 10th, 2014 at 11:02 pm said:

I cant wait for this when does the psn get updated

+ KanakanaKo_Exia on February 10th, 2014 at 11:42 pm said:

I wasn’t that interested before but skullgirls was on my radar. I then stumbled upon the OST and I fell in love. I play it while I play other games (^~^).

I have been waiting for a month now and am currently lurking the psn store for the update.

It’s already 4pm here but still no updates? Haha
Though I’m in the Philippines XD

+ Dsoul_Thekiller on February 11th, 2014 at 6:41 am said:

when is the psn store set to update I’ve been wait forever for this lol can’t wait to play it

+ keitarodevil on February 11th, 2014 at 6:55 am said:

When do i get the XMB and how? because i cant see anything in my PS3. i do have the full game of skullgirls.

+ Peter Bartholow on February 11th, 2014 at 3:18 pm said:

Sony tells us that the XMB message will be broadcast tonight, sometime around 10 PM PST.

Sorry for the additional delay.

+ Taisuke5 on February 11th, 2014 at 7:18 am said:

finally. its been a struggle for us all. this is great and all, but one more thing. when exactly is the message to download it supposed to be sent?later on today? or tonight?

+ Trilljacker654 on February 11th, 2014 at 7:33 am said:

I hope I don’t have to wait too long to play it. also where will the message appear on at my XMB?

+ saab01 on February 11th, 2014 at 8:50 am said:

So the 360 version will be available tomorrow via patch?

+ Hero1290 on February 11th, 2014 at 8:53 am said:

is it coming out for Mexico?

+ Peter Bartholow on February 11th, 2014 at 3:19 pm said:

Yup, it’ll be out for Mexico today.

+ Jub_Jub85 on February 11th, 2014 at 9:46 am said:

So… When is the game actually appearing on PSN today?

+ biglos1993 on February 11th, 2014 at 10:21 am said:

So when exactly is Encore supposed to apear on psn…..DOES ANYBODY KNOW!!!!!!

+ Jub_Jub85 on February 11th, 2014 at 10:24 am said:

I see it on PSN now but I haven’t received a voucher, I don’t think. I know it’s supposed to appear in the XBM.. Is that the same inbox as all other messages like from friends ect?

+ Peter Bartholow on February 11th, 2014 at 3:19 pm said:

Sorry for the additional delay.

+ biglos1993 on February 11th, 2014 at 10:27 am said:

OK thanks Jub_Jub85 Good looking out

+ GVfoundation on February 11th, 2014 at 10:58 am said:

I still haven’t gotten my message for the code. Are the messages going to be send out a specific time? I downloaded the colour pack and Squigly but PSN is still charging me 15$ for Encore.

+ Dsoul_Thekiller on February 11th, 2014 at 10:59 am said:

finally the game is here but now how about those vouchers

+ Kekewriter on February 11th, 2014 at 11:06 am said:

Question: What do you do in the event you had already purchased the original release of Skullgirls but didn’t get an XMB message with the voucher to pick up Encore?

+ Dsoul_Thekiller on February 11th, 2014 at 11:16 am said:

you wait I guess im in the same boat

+ MrCannady on February 11th, 2014 at 11:17 am said:

No voucher for me either.

+ Mangahiru on February 11th, 2014 at 11:26 am said:

I’ve had skullgirls since the first one launched. Can’t wait to play encore, but haven’t received the voucher yet. When are they going to be sent?

+ LennStudios on February 11th, 2014 at 11:29 am said:

Been waiting for this but I’m not sure if I either didn’t get my voucher or I addidently delteted it when I was tired this morning, either way I really want to play Encore T_T

+ Peter Bartholow on February 11th, 2014 at 3:18 pm said:

Sorry for the additional delay, but you should be safe.

+ shadow1820 on February 11th, 2014 at 11:33 am said:

When it says about receiving a voucher, does it mean we can check our emails or is XMB something separate?

+ shadow1820 on February 11th, 2014 at 11:34 am said: