PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

Skullgirls Encore Launching on February 11th

Peter Bartholow's Avatar + Posted by Peter Bartholow on Feb 10, 2014 // CEO, Lab Zero Games

UPDATE: If you’re an owner of Skullgirls, your Skullgirls Encore upgrade voucher is expected to be sent to your PlayStation ID’s message box starting tonight around 10:00pm, Pacific Time.

We’ve got some big news: Skullgirls Encore is launching on February 11th!

…wait, what? Isn’t Skullgirls already out?

It was! But it’s currently not.

To release the new content funded by our successful Indiegogo campaign, Skullgirls had to undergo a painful publisher transition, one that required removing the game from the store entirely and resubmitting it. But don’t worry — everyone who previously purchased Skullgirls will receive Skullgirls Encore and the DLC Character Color Bundle free, which we’ll detail at the end of this post.

If you haven’t checked out Skullgirls since its original launch in April 2012, you’ll find a lot of new features in Skullgirls Encore:

• Literally hundreds of gameplay and balance tweaks
  • Faster gameplay
  • The new “Drama” meter keeps combos from getting too long without compromising creativity
  • Hugely expanded training mode, and still some of the best tutorials in the fighting game genre
  • Improved online play
  • Gorgeous new stages, with new music from the amazing Michiru Yamane
  • Five free DLC characters coming in 2014

Skullgirls EncoreSkullgirls Encore

For an exhaustive list of all the changes since we released the Skullgirls “Slightly Different Edition” patch in November of 2012, go here.

These are but a few of the many reasons why fighting game destination Shoryuken.com voted the PC version of Skullgirls Encore the Best Fighting Game of 2013. So if you’ve never played the game before or haven’t checked it out in a while, next week is a great time to do both.

And, to celebrate the launch of Encore, we’re also giving away the Character Color Bundle free for a limited time.

Meet Squigly

The first DLC character funded by our Indiegogo campaign, Squigly, will also be released alongside Skullgirls Encore next Tuesday. Our console fans have been waiting very patiently for this, and I think they’ll find she’s worth the wait.

Squigly is an undead opera singer, and host to the powerful dragon-like parasite, Leviathan. Like many before her, she has a tragic past and a beef with the Medici Mafia, all of which are explored in her touching story.

Squigly is a highly technical character that’s difficult to master, but still has strong and accessible fundamentals everyone can enjoy. She also has some really unique special attacks, as well: Center Stage lets you forcibly move the camera to drag your opponent in, and when powered up it can even create temporary false corners to combo against. There’s a lot to learn, but — like all of our other characters — Squigly comes with complete tutorials to help you get the basics down.

All of her complexity has made her one of our biggest characters yet, with over 1,700 frames of the high-res, feature-quality animation Lab Zero Games is known for.

As promised, all of Skullgirls Encore’s DLC characters will be completely free for a limited time after release. So by downloading Skullgirls Encore next week, you’ll not only get Squigly free, you’ll also be able to get the other four new characters we’ll be releasing the next year free, as well!

Skullgirls EncoreSkullgirls Encore

Skullgirls Encore

So enjoy Squigly, and remember that you still have Big Band, Eliza, Beowulf, and Robo-Fortune to look forward to. We’re currently targeting a March release for Big Band, so you won’t have to wait long for the next free character, either.

Upgrading to Skullgirls Encore

As I mentioned before, if you owned the previous version of Skullgirls, you’re entitled to download Skullgirls Encore completely free.

Here’s how to get it:

1. Check your PSN messages on your XMB
  2. You’ll receive an XMB message from “Skullgirls” with a link to a free voucher for Skullgirls Encore
  3. Click the link in the XMB message, which will redeem the voucher and take you to PlayStation Store to download Skullgirls Encore
  4. Be sure to also download the Squigly Character Unlock and Character Color Bundle DLC — both are free for a limited time!
  5. After the download is complete, please delete the current version of Skullgirls, as it will no longer be supported
  6. Enjoy!

Technically, as far as your PS3 is concerned, Skullgirls Encore is an entirely new game. So unfortunately your old save data won’t work, and you’ll have a second set of the original Trophies to collect.

In Conclusion…

From our Indiegogo success to our publisher difficulties, 2013 was a rollercoaster of a year for Skullgirls and Lab Zero Games. But with Skullgirls Encore finally coming back to console with frequent updates and free characters, we think the game will have great momentum in 2014.

+ RedNinjaFist on February 11th, 2014 at 10:58 pm said:

trying to stay awake.

+ Dsoul_Thekiller on February 11th, 2014 at 11:03 pm said:

aahahhhhhhhhhhhhhha I understand it just got out but this wait for the voucher is killing me

+ Warturtle16 on February 11th, 2014 at 11:06 pm said:

I have been waiting too!! I can’t think of how it is going. I know I was among the first to purchase the original, so they can’t be just going down the list in that order. Based on some previous comments, they aren’t going in alphabetical order by PSN ids. I am at a loss. Hopefully it comes soon.

+ winterdust on February 11th, 2014 at 11:09 pm said:

2AM EST and no code yet, but that’s okay. We are getting a free character and DLC along with Encore, so I don’t mind the delay. Really, after all the devs have been through we are lucky that Skullgirls is still being distributed on PSN at all.

That said, I am so hyped to jump back into Skullgirls! I will definitely be streaming Encore tomorrow night to show it off. ^_^

+ biglos1993 on February 11th, 2014 at 11:12 pm said:

il give it an hour or 2 until encore arrives

+ SupaHFreaK94 on February 11th, 2014 at 11:24 pm said:

The Anticipation is agonizing! I’ve been sitting infront of my T.V. Checking my messages every 2 seconds.

+ Chimera245 on February 11th, 2014 at 11:32 pm said:

The post says people who bought the original Skullgirls should get their message “starting at 10 PM Pacific Time”.

If I’m doing my time zone math right, it’s now 11:30 Pacitic TIme as I write this, and I haven’t recieved any message yet. Should I be concerned, or should I just keep waiting for now?

+ The_Orange_1 on February 12th, 2014 at 12:20 am said:

Haven’t gotten the message yet and it’s 12:20, I live in Cali so around 10-11 I should have gotten it. I’ll wait until tomorrow and call Sony otherwise.

+ biglos1993 on February 12th, 2014 at 12:25 am said:

i need a beer

+ darkone4587 on February 12th, 2014 at 12:29 am said:

So my voucher hasn’t appeared yet, so has anyone else gotten thiers or is it just my bad luck again

+ biglos1993 on February 12th, 2014 at 12:33 am said:

i need a straight up answer from the guys at lab zero and sony “Whats going on with the vouchers”

+ TheJIDF on February 12th, 2014 at 2:51 am said:

Stop being so entitled and just buy the game, stupid goyim.

+ awdrgyjil on February 12th, 2014 at 3:42 am said:

I still don’t see the message in the ps3. im I looking in the wrong place or something, has it been sent yet? I bought skullgirls when it first came out. what happen or what do I do?

+ Blu_Bomber88 on February 12th, 2014 at 3:55 am said:

It’s now 7 AM on the East Coast. a day later, and I still haven’t received my voucher through the XMB….what’s the dealio?

+ jeandeve on February 12th, 2014 at 4:44 am said:

Damn greedy crooks. You announce it for free, but you still want me to pay 15$ for this “update”? wth?

+ MrCannady on February 12th, 2014 at 5:09 am said:

More botching with Skullgirls… I knew this would happen.

+ XTheBudMonsterX on February 12th, 2014 at 5:19 am said:

ok its 8am eastern its no longer the feb 11 its the 12 and still no vochers ur holding us back sony or who ever is in charge of this -_- i just want to play the game are we getting our vouchers at all if not lets us know so we can buy it if we are getting it the vouchers then what the heck is going on and when is this going to happen

+ ddog924728 on February 12th, 2014 at 5:39 am said:

I believe that I’m entitled to a free video game. I’d purchased the original and was told I’d be receiving a free copy of the next. Where’s mine? Its been all night.

+ k0wb0y-b33b0p on February 12th, 2014 at 5:58 am said:

Still waiting on this mythical voucher that hasn’t been sent yet. It is now 9:02 AM EST the next day. I’m a pretty patient guy but really guys get your **** together people.

+ SpiedemoN on February 12th, 2014 at 6:00 am said:

It’s 9 AM EST and still no Skullgirls Encore voucher. What. The. F@#k. Is this really so difficult a process?

+ EvilhunterJ on February 12th, 2014 at 6:44 am said:

Well, I waited all night and nothing. I was hoping to get it when I woke up but no. *sigh*

+ Silentgeargrand on February 12th, 2014 at 6:47 am said:

Almost 10 in the A.M. and no message. Shall we grab our brooms and call shenanigans?

+ Pai-Zuri365 on February 12th, 2014 at 6:55 am said:

10am EST
Looks like you cant trust Lab Zero

+ SuperTiso on February 12th, 2014 at 6:59 am said:

Man it’s the 12th of February, way past that voucher release time. It’s 10AM EST for me right now. Come on….

+ NinjaLord-Konato on February 12th, 2014 at 7:11 am said:

I own the original Skullgirls and have not received a voucher yet, I waited till late last night and it’s already CST 9:10 and nothing yet, when those vouchers are going to get.

+ rogersnick on February 12th, 2014 at 7:26 am said:

Is it true that the PSN version’s online and PC version’s online share servers?

+ shadow1820 on February 12th, 2014 at 7:28 am said:

As long as I get it eventually, I’m fine.
While I wait, my psn name is “shadow1820″ so let’s wait together!

+ DragonGod90 on February 12th, 2014 at 7:47 am said:

Still nothing.

I understand that Lab Zero isn’t the reason for this, but this is frustrating beyond belief. I bought the original game near launch expecting it would be supported, and I was okay once Encore had to be announced, and now this.

+ PainOfSarrow on February 12th, 2014 at 7:52 am said:

hmmm never got one aswell. i dont mind a delay i just hope i get mine soon.

+ VACA-EL-DORMIR on February 12th, 2014 at 7:54 am said:

I blame sony for the delay. But you know what they say. Patience is a virtue.

+ Raiden_Exorcist on February 12th, 2014 at 8:18 am said:

Will Skullgirls come out on PS4 / PSVita?

+ Teinted_GENE on February 12th, 2014 at 8:26 am said:

Still waiting for the voucher.

I went to bed yesterday thinking that it would be out way before now…. I thought everyone would be playing Encore by 11:00 am EST, but I see I was wrong.

+ Welmosca on February 12th, 2014 at 8:35 am said:

I’m waiting that voucher cuz I’m a owner of Skullgirls already….so are you guys adding “guys” now to the roster?…hum…I would prefer only womans but whatever.Encore looks good…looks like great improvements…and I’m looking forward to Squigly and Eliza.

+ Nauto on February 12th, 2014 at 8:41 am said:

Sad, as of right now, I still did not get my voucher, I really hope i get it….

+ Fafner97 on February 12th, 2014 at 8:43 am said:

Hi there,

There is nothing on the horizon.
I am waiting the voucher code too…

+ BlueBl1zzard on February 12th, 2014 at 8:48 am said:

hey Welmosca, I also have the original version of Skullgirls. When we get Encore maybe we’ll see each other online sometime.

+ SgtSlade777 on February 12th, 2014 at 9:19 am said:

I haven’t gotten the voucher yet. Do I have to wait longer or is there a problem?

+ Welmosca on February 12th, 2014 at 9:33 am said:

Hey BlueBl1zzard my friend….cool and yes maybe we’ll see each other there.Hopefully I receive the voucher today.

+ Pariah_Dark on February 12th, 2014 at 9:46 am said:

I’m patiently awaiting this voucher code for already having purchased the original skullgirls. I had got my hopes up last night when I saw Sony sent me a PSN mail. Instead it turned out to be them advertising upcoming The Last of Us DLC. You can imagine how annoyed I was by that lol.

Hopefully you guys send it sometime today.

+ Frimpys on February 12th, 2014 at 9:47 am said:

Glad I’m not the only one still waiting on a voucher for having the original version. Patience…it’s the name of the game atm.

+ BlueBl1zzard on February 12th, 2014 at 9:56 am said:

@Frimpys So true man. That’s a nice outlook to have, as a lot of people seem to forget how that game is played.

+ VitaOnTheGo90 on February 12th, 2014 at 10:40 am said:

I still haven’t gotten my voucher yet and i’m playing skullgirls right now as we speak, but patience rewards I guess

+ Hunterjohn12 on February 12th, 2014 at 10:48 am said:

I bought the game, loved it. I was excited to hear about this, been waiting a while now and still no message with the Skull girls encore thing. It isn’t on the UK PSN, well, I haven’t seen it on there.

+ Xelig on February 12th, 2014 at 10:51 am said:

Has anyone else not gotten their voucher yet?

+ RedNinjaFist on February 12th, 2014 at 11:00 am said:

i have not,

+ biglos1993 on February 12th, 2014 at 11:03 am said:

I knew it was too good to be true thers always a catch

+ BrodiMAN on February 12th, 2014 at 11:07 am said:

2 PM EST on Feb 12th, still no XMB message with my Encore voucher…

Any reason why there is such a delay?

+ FREAK_SH_W on February 12th, 2014 at 11:17 am said:

i bought the game when it was on sale.
that should still count no?

+ taj_256 on February 12th, 2014 at 12:03 pm said:

I haven’t recieved the voucher either, I guess it must have been a lot of people that bought skull girls or something hahah!

+ Chimera245 on February 12th, 2014 at 12:08 pm said:

I just talked to Sony, and they said not to worry about getting the voucher message unless it hasn’t shown up by Friday.