PS4 - Transistor

Skullgirls Encore Launching on February 11th

Peter Bartholow's Avatar + Posted by Peter Bartholow on Feb 10, 2014 // CEO, Lab Zero Games

UPDATE: If you’re an owner of Skullgirls, your Skullgirls Encore upgrade voucher is expected to be sent to your PlayStation ID’s message box starting tonight around 10:00pm, Pacific Time.

We’ve got some big news: Skullgirls Encore is launching on February 11th!

…wait, what? Isn’t Skullgirls already out?

It was! But it’s currently not.

To release the new content funded by our successful Indiegogo campaign, Skullgirls had to undergo a painful publisher transition, one that required removing the game from the store entirely and resubmitting it. But don’t worry — everyone who previously purchased Skullgirls will receive Skullgirls Encore and the DLC Character Color Bundle free, which we’ll detail at the end of this post.

If you haven’t checked out Skullgirls since its original launch in April 2012, you’ll find a lot of new features in Skullgirls Encore:

• Literally hundreds of gameplay and balance tweaks
  • Faster gameplay
  • The new “Drama” meter keeps combos from getting too long without compromising creativity
  • Hugely expanded training mode, and still some of the best tutorials in the fighting game genre
  • Improved online play
  • Gorgeous new stages, with new music from the amazing Michiru Yamane
  • Five free DLC characters coming in 2014

Skullgirls EncoreSkullgirls Encore

For an exhaustive list of all the changes since we released the Skullgirls “Slightly Different Edition” patch in November of 2012, go here.

These are but a few of the many reasons why fighting game destination Shoryuken.com voted the PC version of Skullgirls Encore the Best Fighting Game of 2013. So if you’ve never played the game before or haven’t checked it out in a while, next week is a great time to do both.

And, to celebrate the launch of Encore, we’re also giving away the Character Color Bundle free for a limited time.

Meet Squigly

The first DLC character funded by our Indiegogo campaign, Squigly, will also be released alongside Skullgirls Encore next Tuesday. Our console fans have been waiting very patiently for this, and I think they’ll find she’s worth the wait.

Squigly is an undead opera singer, and host to the powerful dragon-like parasite, Leviathan. Like many before her, she has a tragic past and a beef with the Medici Mafia, all of which are explored in her touching story.

Squigly is a highly technical character that’s difficult to master, but still has strong and accessible fundamentals everyone can enjoy. She also has some really unique special attacks, as well: Center Stage lets you forcibly move the camera to drag your opponent in, and when powered up it can even create temporary false corners to combo against. There’s a lot to learn, but — like all of our other characters — Squigly comes with complete tutorials to help you get the basics down.

All of her complexity has made her one of our biggest characters yet, with over 1,700 frames of the high-res, feature-quality animation Lab Zero Games is known for.

As promised, all of Skullgirls Encore’s DLC characters will be completely free for a limited time after release. So by downloading Skullgirls Encore next week, you’ll not only get Squigly free, you’ll also be able to get the other four new characters we’ll be releasing the next year free, as well!

Skullgirls EncoreSkullgirls Encore

Skullgirls Encore

So enjoy Squigly, and remember that you still have Big Band, Eliza, Beowulf, and Robo-Fortune to look forward to. We’re currently targeting a March release for Big Band, so you won’t have to wait long for the next free character, either.

Upgrading to Skullgirls Encore

As I mentioned before, if you owned the previous version of Skullgirls, you’re entitled to download Skullgirls Encore completely free.

Here’s how to get it:

1. Check your PSN messages on your XMB
  2. You’ll receive an XMB message from “Skullgirls” with a link to a free voucher for Skullgirls Encore
  3. Click the link in the XMB message, which will redeem the voucher and take you to PlayStation Store to download Skullgirls Encore
  4. Be sure to also download the Squigly Character Unlock and Character Color Bundle DLC — both are free for a limited time!
  5. After the download is complete, please delete the current version of Skullgirls, as it will no longer be supported
  6. Enjoy!

Technically, as far as your PS3 is concerned, Skullgirls Encore is an entirely new game. So unfortunately your old save data won’t work, and you’ll have a second set of the original Trophies to collect.

In Conclusion…

From our Indiegogo success to our publisher difficulties, 2013 was a rollercoaster of a year for Skullgirls and Lab Zero Games. But with Skullgirls Encore finally coming back to console with frequent updates and free characters, we think the game will have great momentum in 2014.

+ snakeeyes211 on February 12th, 2014 at 12:24 pm said:

Sadly I’ve got no voucher yet and the search continues for the escape gorilla

+ Trilljacker654 on February 12th, 2014 at 12:24 pm said:

by friday I should just by the game now

+ PouhUS on February 12th, 2014 at 12:44 pm said:

Still waiting that voucher…

+ noelstalker on February 12th, 2014 at 1:03 pm said:

Ugh. Am I seriously going to be going home again tonight and be unable to play Encore again? I was bummed I couldn’t play it last night because I couldn’t stay up until 11 or 12 to wait for the XMB message. I thought, “One more day, no problem”.

Hopefully the code comes within the first three months while Squigly is still free.

+ Thetyger777 on February 12th, 2014 at 1:38 pm said:

My question is why did they do it by XMB message? That in itself sounds like a terrible idea. I had a bad feeling to begin with when I heard that Xbox was getting it in an update and that PSN users would get in a message sent out by XMB. Of course Lab Zero’s excuse was that “It was impossible do an update over PSN”. I’m really disappointed by this whole mess up. :P

+ XTheBudMonsterX on February 12th, 2014 at 1:48 pm said:

wow by friday hmmmmm thanks sony god im tired of waiting -_- . . .but i guess at lease now i can stop looking until friday i would say thursday but dont think sony can do that 4 us -_- if its not out by friday i will buy it and sony will just have shown how hard they work to do at lease some . . . .or how lazy they was this week -_-. . (cough cough) lazy (cough cough)

+ RedNinjaFist on February 12th, 2014 at 2:12 pm said:

I legit waited all of last night, til like 2 am and no luck at ALL

+ cutejay012 on February 12th, 2014 at 2:26 pm said:

Has anyone that have the 1st version gotten they update voucher yet? I haven’t. Is this something that’s gonna take time or should everyone get it at the same time?

+ Buchaus on February 12th, 2014 at 3:37 pm said:

There are people who have gotten the vouchers, yes. Unfortunately, it seems like we’re not part of that group. LabZero said something about seeing what’s taking Sony so long to send them all on their Twitter account. I was super excited for this, mainly because by pure luck I happened to be off of work today and tomorrow. Now it seems like I’ll have to wait almost a full week to get to spend a good amount of time playing. Oh well.

+ TJF588 on February 12th, 2014 at 3:48 pm said:

@152 noelstalker — You can add the Squigly and color palette DLCs to your account right now; unlike forSteam, you don’t need the base game purchased to buy/”buy” additional content.

+ Teinted_GENE on February 12th, 2014 at 4:28 pm said:

Update from @Skullgirls

+ denondeejay on February 12th, 2014 at 4:35 pm said:

how can I get the DLC ? pleas help.

Peter Bartholow's Avatar

+ Peter Bartholow on February 12th, 2014 at 5:31 pm said:

OK, so, I just got an update from Sony.

They looked into it and found that there were (for some reason) two paid versions of Skullgirls on PSN. When they initially compiled the list of people that should get vouchers, they only pulled the customers from one of those two versions.

They’ve now compiled the list of all the people that bought the other one, and those vouchers should broadcast tonight. Same thing as last night: upload around 9 PST, hopefully in your box within an hour or two after that.

Sorry for the inconvenience, and thanks for your patience on this.

+ biglos1993 on February 12th, 2014 at 5:35 pm said:

NO think you peter thanjs for the update man patients really is a virtue

+ biglos1993 on February 12th, 2014 at 5:41 pm said:

Thinks for the update peter cause the wait was killing me

+ Teinted_GENE on February 12th, 2014 at 5:43 pm said:

great some info!!! Now the waiting game begins…… again lol

+ terradeath on February 12th, 2014 at 6:11 pm said:

so by when should we know, at the latest, if we got the upgrade voucher? i know i bought skullgirls ages ago, yet i haven’t gotten it yet.

+ zekim on February 12th, 2014 at 7:05 pm said:

Thanks for the update Mr. Peter

+ MISTA_GRIMM on February 12th, 2014 at 7:13 pm said:

I own the original game and i did not get a code to download the new version what should I do?

+ biglos1993 on February 12th, 2014 at 7:15 pm said:

Who got the voucher I need answers PLEASE!!!!!

+ x1Bocephus1x on February 12th, 2014 at 7:15 pm said:

Hi,

I bought skullgirls way back in August 2013. Went to get my free voucher tonight to download encore and there is not an email in my xmb to download encore for free yet. Shouldn’t I have received it by now? Thanks

+ Trilljacker654 on February 12th, 2014 at 7:17 pm said:

+ arneezy619 on February 12th, 2014 at 7:30 pm said:

Have not received my dlc code for encore yet and I did buy the original Skullgirls

+ DCS70 on February 12th, 2014 at 7:36 pm said:

Well i have no idea where those Vouchers Codes are that SONY was susposed to send out. But as of now wed Feb 12, 2014 at 10:35pm Eastern i never got any voucher code for Skullgirls: Encore! So looks like i won’t be playing the new one then as i’m not paying out 14.99 for the new Version when i already bought the Original Version and didn’t get any Voucher to upgrade!!! ARRGG!

So farewell Skullgirls: Encore!

+ DragonGod90 on February 12th, 2014 at 7:36 pm said:

Hmm, I wonder why there were two versions…

+ DCS70 on February 12th, 2014 at 7:45 pm said:

@160 Two Versions of Skullgirls? OK u have everyone here confused… Tell what is this about two versions? What is these? What is the difference in them? Why two versions?

And no were not talkin about Skullgirls: Encore that just came out… That should be the real 2nd version so what in the world is going on with the old one having two versions and what was different on those?

We all like to know???

+ XTheBudMonsterX on February 12th, 2014 at 7:45 pm said:

i wonder why it matters if theres two versions they should look at ALL of them it get to work on those vouchers
this is just a exsues to me for sony to be lazy right now dang it sony im mad till we get our vouchers JUST GIVE US OUR VOUCHERS >:(

+ RedZeroNOVA36 on February 12th, 2014 at 8:21 pm said:

it is 8:20 PST 2.12… I thought we would get the vouchers on around 10 PST 2.11. I don’t mind the delay but can I get a reason why its delayed.

+ DragonGod90 on February 12th, 2014 at 8:31 pm said:

@ 175 Look up to 160′s post please.

+ Kuraikami15 on February 12th, 2014 at 8:46 pm said:

I still haven’t received my Voucher and its already the 2nd day lol. Its suppose to be in my Xmb messages right? i dont see it.

+ Kuraikami15 on February 12th, 2014 at 8:48 pm said:

Ah nvm i read the 160 post i understand

+ biglos1993 on February 12th, 2014 at 9:12 pm said:

Anybody get the vouchers yet

+ Reprisal2 on February 12th, 2014 at 9:21 pm said:

@179 no not yet can’t wait though!

+ RedZeroNOVA36 on February 12th, 2014 at 9:22 pm said:

ohh! thanks 176. Well time to once again commence the waiting game.

+ biglos1993 on February 12th, 2014 at 9:28 pm said:

Its like waiting for a paternity test☆

+ Reprisal2 on February 12th, 2014 at 9:36 pm said:

lol 182

+ Teinted_GENE on February 12th, 2014 at 9:36 pm said:

@biglos1993

I guess I will be dancing like that guy on “Maury” when I finally get my voucher :)

www dot youtube dot com/watch?v=hjiTTcJsETY

+ swiftbelly on February 12th, 2014 at 10:04 pm said:

Just got my voucher! They’re sending guys!

+ CHOMPlSON on February 12th, 2014 at 10:09 pm said:

I just got mine too!

+ BJA1975 on February 12th, 2014 at 10:09 pm said:

Received my voucher at 1 am ET. Downloading game now. Hope the rest of you are getting yours, too.

+ Teinted_GENE on February 12th, 2014 at 10:10 pm said:

Just got my voucher from sony

+ naruto-toshiro on February 12th, 2014 at 10:15 pm said:

I received my voucher finally, thanks guys. Now for some Squigly :)

+ Silentgeargrand on February 12th, 2014 at 10:16 pm said:

Just got it! Groovy. Can’t wait for Big Band and Beowolf. Love my powerhouses.

+ hva_sth4 on February 12th, 2014 at 10:20 pm said:

hey is it bad if you didn’t delete the older version after downloading the voucher thing? because the game doesn’t be seeming to show up but I can still download it for free .____________.

+ hva_sth4 on February 12th, 2014 at 10:25 pm said:

hope I didn’t screw it up for me D:

+ CHOMPlSON on February 12th, 2014 at 10:28 pm said:

I didn’t delete my old version and the new one showed up fine in my game list. You need to download the SK Encore full game unlock and the SK Encore trial.

+ NinjaLord-Konato on February 12th, 2014 at 10:30 pm said:

I finally got my voucher thanks Just in time to play a couple matchs before going to bed!!

+ riceeater56 on February 12th, 2014 at 10:32 pm said:

Did anyone else got theirs it seems like I didn’t get mine yet

+ Pai-Zuri365 on February 12th, 2014 at 11:17 pm said:

I just got my voucher and I still wish I could SELL the game the 1st week after it released.

+ CHOMPlSON on February 12th, 2014 at 11:32 pm said:

So open the attachment in the message. It’ll show the code and with Cancel and Continue buttons below it. Write down the code, hit CANCEL and sell it on eBay. Then you can go be a downer about some other game.