PS4 - The Last of Us Remastered

Skullgirls Encore Launching on February 11th

Peter Bartholow's Avatar + Posted by Peter Bartholow on Feb 10, 2014 // CEO, Lab Zero Games

UPDATE: If you’re an owner of Skullgirls, your Skullgirls Encore upgrade voucher is expected to be sent to your PlayStation ID’s message box starting tonight around 10:00pm, Pacific Time.

We’ve got some big news: Skullgirls Encore is launching on February 11th!

…wait, what? Isn’t Skullgirls already out?

It was! But it’s currently not.

To release the new content funded by our successful Indiegogo campaign, Skullgirls had to undergo a painful publisher transition, one that required removing the game from the store entirely and resubmitting it. But don’t worry — everyone who previously purchased Skullgirls will receive Skullgirls Encore and the DLC Character Color Bundle free, which we’ll detail at the end of this post.

If you haven’t checked out Skullgirls since its original launch in April 2012, you’ll find a lot of new features in Skullgirls Encore:

• Literally hundreds of gameplay and balance tweaks
  • Faster gameplay
  • The new “Drama” meter keeps combos from getting too long without compromising creativity
  • Hugely expanded training mode, and still some of the best tutorials in the fighting game genre
  • Improved online play
  • Gorgeous new stages, with new music from the amazing Michiru Yamane
  • Five free DLC characters coming in 2014

Skullgirls EncoreSkullgirls Encore

For an exhaustive list of all the changes since we released the Skullgirls “Slightly Different Edition” patch in November of 2012, go here.

These are but a few of the many reasons why fighting game destination Shoryuken.com voted the PC version of Skullgirls Encore the Best Fighting Game of 2013. So if you’ve never played the game before or haven’t checked it out in a while, next week is a great time to do both.

And, to celebrate the launch of Encore, we’re also giving away the Character Color Bundle free for a limited time.

Meet Squigly

The first DLC character funded by our Indiegogo campaign, Squigly, will also be released alongside Skullgirls Encore next Tuesday. Our console fans have been waiting very patiently for this, and I think they’ll find she’s worth the wait.

Squigly is an undead opera singer, and host to the powerful dragon-like parasite, Leviathan. Like many before her, she has a tragic past and a beef with the Medici Mafia, all of which are explored in her touching story.

Squigly is a highly technical character that’s difficult to master, but still has strong and accessible fundamentals everyone can enjoy. She also has some really unique special attacks, as well: Center Stage lets you forcibly move the camera to drag your opponent in, and when powered up it can even create temporary false corners to combo against. There’s a lot to learn, but — like all of our other characters — Squigly comes with complete tutorials to help you get the basics down.

All of her complexity has made her one of our biggest characters yet, with over 1,700 frames of the high-res, feature-quality animation Lab Zero Games is known for.

As promised, all of Skullgirls Encore’s DLC characters will be completely free for a limited time after release. So by downloading Skullgirls Encore next week, you’ll not only get Squigly free, you’ll also be able to get the other four new characters we’ll be releasing the next year free, as well!

Skullgirls EncoreSkullgirls Encore

Skullgirls Encore

So enjoy Squigly, and remember that you still have Big Band, Eliza, Beowulf, and Robo-Fortune to look forward to. We’re currently targeting a March release for Big Band, so you won’t have to wait long for the next free character, either.

Upgrading to Skullgirls Encore

As I mentioned before, if you owned the previous version of Skullgirls, you’re entitled to download Skullgirls Encore completely free.

Here’s how to get it:

1. Check your PSN messages on your XMB
  2. You’ll receive an XMB message from “Skullgirls” with a link to a free voucher for Skullgirls Encore
  3. Click the link in the XMB message, which will redeem the voucher and take you to PlayStation Store to download Skullgirls Encore
  4. Be sure to also download the Squigly Character Unlock and Character Color Bundle DLC — both are free for a limited time!
  5. After the download is complete, please delete the current version of Skullgirls, as it will no longer be supported
  6. Enjoy!

Technically, as far as your PS3 is concerned, Skullgirls Encore is an entirely new game. So unfortunately your old save data won’t work, and you’ll have a second set of the original Trophies to collect.

In Conclusion…

From our Indiegogo success to our publisher difficulties, 2013 was a rollercoaster of a year for Skullgirls and Lab Zero Games. But with Skullgirls Encore finally coming back to console with frequent updates and free characters, we think the game will have great momentum in 2014.

PAGE 1 3 4 5

+ Jak_and_Clank on February 12th, 2014 at 11:38 pm said:

Still waiting on mine. You do find the message where you find you’re friends messages right?

+ riceeater56 on February 12th, 2014 at 11:41 pm said:

Please help I still didn’t get mine I still have the old skullgirls in my ps3 game folder but I still didn’t receive the message yet

+ EvilhunterJ on February 12th, 2014 at 11:56 pm said:

*sigh* still unlucky. I haven’t received anything.

+ FREAK_SH_W on February 13th, 2014 at 12:49 am said:

for me the voucher was at my XMB inbox and it arrived at midnight

+ Pai-Zuri365 on February 13th, 2014 at 1:22 am said:

Im selling my code on Ebay

+ EvilhunterJ on February 13th, 2014 at 1:45 am said:

*sigh* I don’t think I’ll be getting mine tonight.

+ denondeejay on February 13th, 2014 at 4:38 am said:

I haven’t gotten my voucher. Pleas help us Peter Bartholo .

+ DCS70 on February 13th, 2014 at 5:53 am said:

Well i gave up last night on the Voucher code it wasn’t showing at that time… Gave up went to bed. Got up this morning and checked it then… SURPRISE! The voucher was now here! YAY!

So looks like i’m upgraded to Skullgirls: Encore! But one thing has me wondering? The old Skullgirls size was 1749MB in size…

But the New Skullgirls: Encore size is only 785MB in size…

That’s 964MB we LOSS here? What in the World?!?!?!?!?

That’s over half the game lost that we had before… I’m confused!

But at least i now have Skullgirls: Encore but i still have to wonder what we lost in that 964MB then?

Hmmm!

+ Jak_and_Clank on February 13th, 2014 at 6:29 am said:

Sadly still haven’t got the voucher. Does it effect the voucher if I bought the code to get Skullgirls from sources like gamestop? Cause that’s where I bought my code to get the game instead of using a psn card or a credit card of somekind.

+ VitaOnTheGo90 on February 13th, 2014 at 8:33 am said:

I still haven’t gotten mine yet, it’s already been two days if I don’t get mine, I guess i’ll just have to buy the darn thing instead.

+ theevildice on February 13th, 2014 at 9:25 am said:

I have the same problem, I have not received in my mail the voucher, PSN user is theevildice. Thanks

+ VitaOnTheGo90 on February 13th, 2014 at 9:40 am said:

mine is VitaOnTheGo90

+ EvilhunterJ on February 13th, 2014 at 10:04 am said:

Since there are still some people who haven’t received the vouchers yet, should we expsct another chance to get the vouchers tonight?

+ VitaOnTheGo90 on February 13th, 2014 at 10:30 am said:

@EvilhunterJ, yeah I think that’s what they’re gonna do again, is send out another fresh batch of vouchers

+ PainOfSarrow on February 13th, 2014 at 10:59 am said:

just got mine. thank you very much.

+ Fafner97 on February 13th, 2014 at 11:16 am said:

I recieved the voucher code.
Thanks !

+ Kunai21 on February 13th, 2014 at 11:44 am said:

didn’t get mine yet (or at all), I hope to get one soon enough
PSN user: Kunai21

+ denondeejay on February 13th, 2014 at 2:54 pm said:

So if we got the original skull girls, we can get skull girls encore for free or we have to buy it.

+ denondeejay on February 13th, 2014 at 3:04 pm said:

Where does the voucher code pop up

+ Kunai21 on February 13th, 2014 at 4:06 pm said:

if you have purchase the original game, you would then be sent an email through PSN from sony, getting the voucher……to download SGE but the email is supposed to have been sent out to all who have purchased the original SG, but that was supposedly sent out on the 11th……..and it’s circulating to various PS Users

+ denondeejay on February 13th, 2014 at 4:26 pm said:

But I got the game on Feb, 11, 2014

+ x1Bocephus1x on February 13th, 2014 at 4:32 pm said:

Code wasn’t there last night. Got home from work tonight and message with free voucher code was there, so all good now.

+ riceeater56 on February 13th, 2014 at 4:45 pm said:

So I still didn’t get the voucher code yet did anyone else get it?

+ denondeejay on February 13th, 2014 at 5:01 pm said:

Do you have to be on Play station plus in order to get the message?

+ Jak_and_Clank on February 13th, 2014 at 7:49 pm said:

Stll havent got my voucher. So this thought came to mind. You think getting the adding before getting your voucher may effect getting it?

+ humberto32 on February 14th, 2014 at 1:16 am said:

I haven’t received the voucher yet. Hopefully I’ll get it soon.

+ detective_trap on February 14th, 2014 at 10:09 am said:

I was wondering if they are still sending out free vouchers? I still haven’t got mine yet and i’m pretty nervous that I won’t be getting the free voucher at all. I mean I have purchased the old skullgirls game and even the old color costumes.

+ Onigreed on February 14th, 2014 at 10:21 am said:

Just look at my purchase history and I did buy it on April 10, 2012 on launch date. So am I still getting? And does anyone from PlayStation or the dev’s read past page-one?

+ riceeater56 on February 14th, 2014 at 3:55 pm said:

Ok, So I still didn’t get my voucher code did anyone else got theirs?

+ EvilhunterJ on February 14th, 2014 at 4:19 pm said:

@229 riceeater56
No one who hasn’t got one in the last few days hasn’t. I checked twitter and sony is not giving out anymore vouchers.

+ riceeater56 on February 14th, 2014 at 4:41 pm said:

EvilhunterJ does that mean we have to buy the Encore edition?

+ EvilhunterJ on February 14th, 2014 at 4:51 pm said:

@ riceeater56
Not necessarily. Lab zero will be handing them out to the indivuals who haven’t received a voucher. But it will take a few days for them to get it from sony. Worst case scenario, not all of us will get a voucher and will actually have to buy encore after all.

+ riceeater56 on February 14th, 2014 at 5:04 pm said:

I hope everyone will get it soon I really want to try out Squiggly really bad. I’m sure they won’t let it happen… well at least I hope they do

+ CaptnBrainslide on February 15th, 2014 at 5:31 am said:

I still haven’t gotten my code either. What do those of us who haven’t gotten it have to do now to get it? My records indicate I purchased the original game on 01/03/2013.

+ Mojotron on February 15th, 2014 at 1:11 pm said:

I haven’t received mine either. I honestly don’t remember – was Skullgirls ever free with PS+? It’s in my download list, but no voucher.

+ riceeater56 on February 15th, 2014 at 5:51 pm said:

So I talked to the customer support if you bought Skullgirls at gamestop or somewhere else you don’t get it. It’s for the people who bought it at the PSN store I hope someone do something about this.

+ Jak_and_Clank on February 15th, 2014 at 7:39 pm said:

Well that makes sense why I never received my copy. Oh well went out yesterday to buy Skullgirls Encore. It might sound bad to rebuy it, but then again it does help out Lab Zero out (bought both the original and PC version).

+ riceeater56 on February 15th, 2014 at 11:32 pm said:

I’m going to wait a bit longer if I still don’t get it maybe I’ll buy it…. Come on Sony can we please have it too?

+ harlysoul on February 18th, 2014 at 12:54 pm said:

Hey guys, I haven’t received my mail, could you check this for me? :(

+ Black_Star_4life on February 26th, 2014 at 11:14 pm said:

I haven’t gotten my voucher. What’s up Sony?

+ Hayric on February 28th, 2014 at 4:39 am said:

No voucher yet. Bought in PSN :/

+ Shizero on March 7th, 2014 at 12:15 am said:

I had seen my vouncher one day while i was playing a game and took a look at it but I dont think i got to use it becouse of the lack of space i had. Now i have looked for it today again and it has seeme to disapear. I was wondering if you could resend the vouncher please I would love to upgrade to encore and play it with friends!

+ Shizero on March 7th, 2014 at 12:33 am said:

oh nevermind i found its game data on my game data folder. ill try to figur this out

+ Shizero on March 7th, 2014 at 12:42 am said:

Ok I have the game data for Skullgirls encore but not the game. And when i go to ps store it says it has a price instead of the symbol showing i already own it. I’m so lost.

PAGE 1 3 4 5