Uncharted 4

Toukiden: The Age of Demons Out Today on PS Vita

Kenichi Ogasawara's Avatar + Posted by Kenichi Ogasawara on Feb 11, 2014 // Producer, KOEI Co., Ltd.

Today’s the day to become a Slayer and save the world from the Oni’s destruction!

The most exciting aspect of Toukiden: The Age of Demons is the “targeted destruction system” where players can feel the exhilaration of severing parts of the Oni’s body and destroying them. Players can choose from six different weapons, each with their own original attack methods and attributes. Using powerful attacks to slash, thrust and crush parts of the enormous enemy, I think it might excite the natural instincts of players.

Toukiden: The Age of Demons

It is difficult to defeat the Oni, however, just by attacking them. By destroying parts of the Oni, the life energy that exists within them will be drawn to the surface. Attacking this life energy will truly damage the Oni. However, Oni not only possess an enormous life force, they are able to regenerate parts that are cut off — and these regenerated parts become even more powerful. The severed Oni parts that have fallen to the ground can be permanently destroyed through the Ritual of Purification, and this prevents the body part from being regenerated. Thus, in order to defeat the Oni, the destruction of body parts is a necessary part of the game system.

There are over 200 Mitama — the souls of famous historic Japanese figures — both real and fictional. The Mitama, which can be obtained by defeating Oni, each carry a battle style and/or skill which can assist in battle. Choosing which Mitama to equip deepens the strategic aspect of battle.

Toukiden: The Age of Demons

Toukiden: The Age of DemonsToukiden: The Age of Demons

The use of “Japan” as a theme in the fantasy world of Toukiden is another key attraction of the game. I don’t think there’s been another full-scale hunting action game that has used a Japanese setting for the in-game world. The story and characters are completely original, and we received high praise from players in Japan on how the story unfolds and draws them in. This strong and beautiful Japanese themed world should be a refreshing surprise to Western gamers.

There is an abundance of content for gamers to experience, with over 100 missions in the Story Mode, and an additional 150+ missions in the multiplayer mode. The main story of Toukiden can be enjoyed entirely in single player mode, so no need to worry that it’s a game that can only be played and enjoyed in multiplayer mode. After the main story is finished, additional missions are unlocked with even stronger enemies. These are best cleared with the help of friends, so I hope you’ll go and defeat the powerful enemies together. There’s co-operative play through ad-hoc mode, or players can be easily matched online, so it should be pretty easy to find party members to battle together with.

With Toukiden: The Age of Demons, I think we’ve managed to make a game that even action game connoisseurs in the West will enjoy. Happy Hunting!

43 Comments

+ mcmangone on February 11th, 2014 at 8:34 am said:

Finally! Been waitin for this for awhile. Game On.

+ DJ_Tomato on February 11th, 2014 at 8:34 am said:

Why does EUR PSN haves bonus DLC? Why Digital USA Owners will get nothing?

Too unfair, im not sure about buying now…

+ EddyC__ on February 11th, 2014 at 8:34 am said:

The loving the free giant cat hat. Thank you for bringing this game to the West.

+ neuroned on February 11th, 2014 at 8:36 am said:

Is this a Soul Sacrifice clone?

+ italodancemp3 on February 11th, 2014 at 8:39 am said:

Yeah finally :) I can be a hero again to save the Japanese dark world

+ ChazzyChazX on February 11th, 2014 at 8:51 am said:

still not on PSN yet ~

+ Kittysora on February 11th, 2014 at 8:56 am said:

When will it come out on PSN! >.<

+ Runningman5ksmak on February 11th, 2014 at 9:04 am said:

I think the demo alone will give you a taste on what the full game will be like. the demo was horrible and cant see any difference at all in the full game. that’s my opinion

+ lisatsunami on February 11th, 2014 at 9:15 am said:

I loved the demo and I will be buying when the store updates AFTER 2 PM PST TODAY. Sorry for shouting but every week there are at least a dozen people who never seem to know that simple fact about when new games become available.

I deleted my demo save because I want to start fresh and take a lot of care in customizing my character.

+ DJ_Tomato on February 11th, 2014 at 9:21 am said:

Lisa, i hope you saved your demo advances, as if you port the save from demo to full game you will get an exclussive headset (furry but meh)

+ vault2049 on February 11th, 2014 at 9:27 am said:

I’m definitely downloading this one as soon as the PlayStation Store updates. Demo was awesome, can see myself throwing months and months into this game.

+ Elvick_ on February 11th, 2014 at 9:28 am said:

Love the demo, justwaiting for the delivery person to bring it. Thanks for the western support!

+ Shoryyuken on February 11th, 2014 at 9:45 am said:

Add me up guys, I’ll be playing! I just got it too I’M SO PUMPED! Let’s do it! Thanks Sony & Koei!

+ tj8_84 on February 11th, 2014 at 9:52 am said:

hey when are you guys going to shipping out more ps4 camera they are impossible to find and when is the US getting the Sony dualshock 4 charging station

+ KaOTiK911 on February 11th, 2014 at 10:01 am said:

Why are US digital customers not getting any of the bonuses that the EU is getting? Are we (US) at least getting like a 10% discount for the first week (at least PS+ members)?

Really hard to justify getting a digital copy of the game when price is equal, but then when you get extras for getting the physical copy, it really is an insult.

+ Christian399 on February 11th, 2014 at 10:18 am said:

Grabbing this as soon as the store updates! THANK YOU TC for your continued software support of this wonderful device. I look forward to all the DLC and other goodies from the Toukiden universe. And please don’t ever stop with the digital only releases of the Atelier games. I realize packaged goods are not necessarily a profitable venture in this arena, so if digital is the only way, I”ll take it.

Re: the people complaining about the “bonuses”, I’m pretty sure that its only stuff that can be unlocked in game anyhow. So stop freaking out.

+ DJ_Tomato on February 11th, 2014 at 10:29 am said:

@ Christian399 you would say the same if you didn’t get your “Ateliers loli swimsuits” in USA but EUR did?

@ KaOTiK911 agree with you

+ BlueBl1zzard on February 11th, 2014 at 10:34 am said:

I enjoyed the demo, and picked up the game earlier today. Time to get my monster hunti-err demon slaying on!

+ Coraje187 on February 11th, 2014 at 10:50 am said:

I had this on preorder just will have it later to day. Can’t wait to play and get my bonus DLCs.

+ Hyperfludd on February 11th, 2014 at 11:09 am said:

I think it’s a little lame the digital version didn’t get any sort of preorder bonus unlike other regions..

+ tusunami on February 11th, 2014 at 11:58 am said:

Finally more original games for PS Vita, I knew great games coming to the system wasn’t a dream. I haven’t even played the demo yet because I am waiting for my 64 GB from Japan to get delivered air-mail hopefully this week. I really want to get this game, this is our answer again it monster who.

+ RoII_chan on February 11th, 2014 at 12:11 pm said:

Too bad us, digital lovers are not gonna get those pre order bonuses =/

+ djsaiyan on February 11th, 2014 at 12:12 pm said:

Played the demo. Loved the demo. Will be picking this up today.

+ JadeZodiac on February 11th, 2014 at 12:23 pm said:

Loved the demo for this game, 2 purchases from me here! (One from me, and one from my brother). Thank you tons for the western support!

+ yet_another_alt on February 11th, 2014 at 12:25 pm said:

I bought the 2 Vita Atelier games because they had extras for early buyers. I’m disappointed that you guys didn’t offer something similar for Toukiden.

+ Ryumoau on February 11th, 2014 at 12:38 pm said:

i’ve got this and Lightning Returns on my gamefly queue.

+ carly1477 on February 11th, 2014 at 1:01 pm said:

Mmmm so excited, playing the heck out of the demo. Lightning Returns and Danganronpa today too. *goes a little crazy. in a good way*

+ BlackGespenst on February 11th, 2014 at 1:31 pm said:

i can finally say in my own opinion that im officially not a monster hunter fan anymore its been replaced by toukiden and monster hunter wishes it looked good like this game! and plus i never really digged the idea of hunting dinosaurs anyway. so sorry capcom you had the chance to bring monster hunter to the vita and good riddance!

+ hazelcabug on February 11th, 2014 at 1:44 pm said:

This sucks for DIGITAL LOVERS… no re-sale value and no dlc for 40$… I guess I gotta wait for awhile..

+ MrZ_2010 on February 11th, 2014 at 1:52 pm said:

Toukiden avatar please!

+ D-Squad3 on February 11th, 2014 at 5:16 pm said:

No trailer?

+ sockerps on February 11th, 2014 at 5:35 pm said:

Any chance for some atelier meruru or ayesha avatars?

+ EXQUISITEEMPRESS on February 11th, 2014 at 6:32 pm said:

Finally. The demo was addictive. I can’t wait to see where it goes.

+ WolfyHopeless on February 11th, 2014 at 8:42 pm said:

Played the demo, loved it, preordered a physical copy, got the bonuses, love em. Love the game and I’ve barely gotten to delve further into it.

+ muha_ronin on February 12th, 2014 at 12:22 am said:

To expensive, will wait for discount and save money for Monster Hunter: Frontier G

+ Welmosca on February 12th, 2014 at 10:58 am said:

Oh damn…game’s already out and I didn’t even had the time to play the demo yet.

+ BlueBl1zzard on February 12th, 2014 at 12:33 pm said:

For any potential bow-users who may be reading this, while you have an arrow drawn, ypu can control the camera either by using the monster hunter claw method (left index finger on the d-pad), or hold R right after drawing an arrow to keep it drawn. This frees up your right thumb to control the camera with the right analog stick. Just a tip.

+ Dragonsmana on February 12th, 2014 at 7:25 pm said:

Got the game and I am loving it! Hopefully you can provide some news on the Soul Sacrifice DLC cross over for both games making it’s way over here too!

+ WarbirdUSMC1775 on February 13th, 2014 at 3:53 pm said:

this game is the s***! i love the fact that its a monster hunter like game but the dynasty/samurai warriors flavor to it. i am a fan of history and especially japanese history so i think the driving force behind this game is the historical japanese characters as a source of magic i cannot put this game down!!!!!!! at this point i dont really care if koei puts out samurai warriors for the vita cause this game easily filled me up with my hack and slash craving. i know this game just came out and i currently eating it up, but…..toukiden x gods eater, now that cross over will definitely make a mark in the video game world and plus there are alot of cross over games out there so what i am thinking is create a story with somehow the oni’s sent the slayers to the era of post apocalyptic gods eater. i already put out a good word about this game. thanks koei and sony!!!!

+ WarbirdUSMC1775 on February 13th, 2014 at 3:58 pm said:

oh yea where the heck are the DLC’s?!!! i gotta have my homeboy momotaro!

+ tokyopunchout on February 14th, 2014 at 8:39 am said:

This is going to stay my favorite game on Vita this year, which is insane as it’s not even my *type*… But it’s just so beautifully designed and rewarding. Anyone who hasn’t tried it I implore you to – especially if you have some ad-hoc friends to hunt down demons under one roof together. I think you’ll be surprised to find that there’s something special about this game that’ll keep you coming back.

Between this and Danganropa – my Vita will never stay charged.

I vote for Feb 11th. being adding as an international ad-hoc holiday named “Toukiday” :)

+ FinnMaestro on February 14th, 2014 at 10:23 pm said:

Thanks Koei for bringing this amazing, awesome game on Vita to the west. Picked up 2 copies, my girl and I are going to be playing this all year! Please bring over all of the DLC!

+ ra1nfield on February 16th, 2014 at 12:37 pm said:

Very impressed with this game, I’d like to see alot of players joining up on multiplayer and also bring all the DLCs just like the fine man above me pointed out!
A definate must-buy for Vita users!