Bloodborne

Baseball is Better: MLB 14 The Show PS4 Screens, Release Details

Ramone Russell's Avatar + Posted by Ramone Russell on Feb 13, 2014 // Community Manager, SCEA San Diego Studios

We know anticipation is high, especially given we’re making our next-gen debut this season, and this week we were able to share a glimpse of what we’ve been working on for the past 10 months. Here’s a look at some of the things we’ve got planned for MLB 14 The Show.

MLB 14 The Show

I’ve been asked what our goals are this year, and the answer is simple. Everyone on our team takes great pride in chasing our goal of producing the perfect sports game. It’s what has made The Show the highest rated sports franchise over the last 8 years.

We’ve already covered some of what’s new this year in our previous post here on the PlayStation.Blog. To recap: there are more than 50 new features and improvements that will enhance, deepen, streamline, and better your overall experience. Quick Counts will cut game completion times in half. A new UI, built from the ground up for PS4 (but carried over across all versions) has been optimized for maximum efficiency and responsiveness.

MLB 14 The Show

Here’s Mike Napoli on PS4 (top) vs. PS3 (bottom). Note the revamped lighting engine,
meticulously rendered facial hair, and rich stadium detail.

Year-to-year saves will solve one of sports gaming’s biggest dilemmas, making it easy for hours of time invested in MLB 14 to be carried over into next year’s game and beyond. This is further complemented by the return of cross-platform saves across all three SKUs.

Road to the Show will continue its evolution, something we’ll speak to in greater detail a bit later.

Community Challenges put the power of creation in the hands of gamers. Baseball scenarios — be they moments from history, situations snatched from the present, or something altogether new — can be easily generated, customized, and shared online.

An expanded, smarter Universal Profile now tracks player tendency. Train your Profile and sub it into Diamond Dynasty games to give your human opponent a better matchup than just the CPU.

Online Franchise expands upon Online Leagues of seasons past, introducing multi-season play with Scouting, the Amateur Draft, Free Agency, and CPU Trades.

MLB 14 The ShowMLB 14 The Show

We’re simplifying add-on purchases from seasons past, rolling everything into a Universal Currency we’re calling Stubs. We want to be very clear with this, however, since it’s a frequent question and concern among the community: not one cent needs to be spent on Stubs for users to enjoy a full experience in any of our modes.

What’s more, Stubs are earned through general gameplay (just like XP) and tied to your Universal Profile. Most importantly, the rate at which Stubs are earned is intentionally generous. We are not designing the system to pressure players into spending money. It will be the same system it’s been in years prior, just all rolled together with a new name.

Last but certainly not least, this year brings the debut of MLB 14 The Show on PS4. The PS4 is the most powerful gaming console ever made. There’s so much horsepower for us to take advantage of to make the most realistic, best-playing, most authentic baseball video game ever.

The above is FAR from all of the improvements in this year’s game. Look for us to release a comprehensive list later this month detailing all the new features and enhancements in MLB 14 The Show.

MLB 14 The ShowMLB 14 The Show

This past week we showed a handful of journalists how this year’s game looks in motion, both the new content that’s available across platforms and also the highly anticipated visuals on PS4. We’re going to be sharing more and more in the weeks to come — particularly on PS4.

Whether it’s the suspense of a full count, or the thrill of a home run. From the meticulously crafted stadiums and players, to details as fine as a single blade of grass. There are new ways to play and new ways to interact and share with the greater community — we have so much to show you. And not just in terms of how we’ve expanded and improved the game, but also the ways in which we’re leveraging new technologies.

But we can’t show you everything at once, and there are some things we won’t show ’till they’re just right. To kick things off, here’s a first look at our PS3 version of MLB 14 The Show:

MLB 14 The Show will be launching on April 1st for PS3 and PS Vita, and shortly thereafter in May for PS4. More to come!

For our Canadian fans, you’ll be glad to know Toronto Blue Jays third baseman and Canada’s own Brett Lawrie will be on the Canadian cover for MLB 14. Go check out the PlayStation Canada Facebook page for more details.

67 Comments

PAGE 1 2

+ Muntz10 on February 13th, 2014 at 7:05 am said:

Is it coming to the UK?

+ somepiranhas on February 13th, 2014 at 7:06 am said:

May release for PS4? Considering this is *the* game I made sure to have a PS4 for, releasing over a month into the season and after other versions is… disappointing, to say the least. :(

+ FrankCastle on February 13th, 2014 at 7:06 am said:

I CANT WAIT….THE BEST TIME OF THE YEAR……MLB !!

+ MUSIC-HEAD on February 13th, 2014 at 7:06 am said:

Even as someone who has no interest in baseball, I can appreciate the incredible work you guys do! I get excited for my friends who do love baseball. keep up the great work.

+ rememberforget on February 13th, 2014 at 7:08 am said:

Any chance of an upgrade deal between the PS3 & PS4 versions? May is too far away!

+ kivi95 on February 13th, 2014 at 7:10 am said:

Terrible to release the PS4 version a month after. Showing of a trailer for the PS3 version does not make it any better either.

Marketing at it’s worse.

+ kivi95 on February 13th, 2014 at 7:11 am said:

Yup a PS3-PS4 upgrade is a MUST

+ D-Squad3 on February 13th, 2014 at 7:14 am said:

April fools!

+ hawjboi2009 on February 13th, 2014 at 7:15 am said:

yayayaya, ps4 definitely look better graphic in this game.. can’t wait to play this game on ps4.. i think i rather not buy it for ps3 until it release on ps4 in May.. it suck for fans like me and people have to wait little longers to buy this game on ps4 .. i thought this game suppose to release in March 4 instead April 1 because MLB show series alway release in March .. that strange

+ DredPirateStorm on February 13th, 2014 at 7:17 am said:

I really hope there is some sort of bundle/upgrade feature. I know in previous years you were able to buy the Vita and PS3 version together at a discount. How about PS3 –> PS4 and maybe Vita too?

+ johnnyblades on February 13th, 2014 at 7:19 am said:

Thank you for the update.

Like everyone I would love to get my hands on the PS4 version earlier than May but with that said I would rather see the team at Sony San Diego get the time to get the game right.

Regardless of when this game comes out, you have a day one purchase right here!

+ RE_Player on February 13th, 2014 at 7:21 am said:

Brett Lawrie is a good choice for the Canadian cover.

+ andriys85 on February 13th, 2014 at 7:25 am said:

too bad the faces are completely unexpressive during high physical efforts :( there’s still a way to go realism

+ EruditionalLies on February 13th, 2014 at 7:27 am said:

To the complaints about the staggered release, you do realize it’s only a month at least, to just under two months at most, right?

+ stubarron on February 13th, 2014 at 7:31 am said:

Agreeing with all of the PS4 MAY Release disappointment comments. :(

+ somepiranhas on February 13th, 2014 at 7:38 am said:

@14 When the season is 6 months long, 1-2 months is a significant amount of time. It’d be like releasing Madden in October or an NBA game in January.

+ GMFCO311 on February 13th, 2014 at 7:42 am said:

Video doesn’t look very PS4-ish!!!

+ stubarron on February 13th, 2014 at 7:42 am said:

At least Infamous: Second Son will distract me while I wait :)

+ stubarron on February 13th, 2014 at 7:44 am said:

@ GMFCO311 the video is the PS3 version

+ kbjustin on February 13th, 2014 at 7:45 am said:

Will there be any kind of promotion or anything where if we buy mlb 14 for ps3, we can get the ps4 version for cheaper? Also will there be a way to transfer saves between the ps3 and ps4 version of this year’s game?

+ JohnnyVonRotten on February 13th, 2014 at 7:53 am said:

It’s disappointing that we’ll have to wait another month into the season for the PS4 version – the only PS platform I currently own – but for a first-year effort after a console launch, I guess it’s understandable.

Year-to-year saves are a killer app.

… I guess I’ll just have to buy a Vita!

+ IronStorm613 on February 13th, 2014 at 8:12 am said:

I have all 3 platforms, but I only want the PS4 version, so I am pretty disappointed that it will not release until I am done with classes for the semester and at least whole month into the season. I am still very excited for it though and understand the delay. I want a full game, not a broken game. Guess I won’t be getting a new game now until Second Son Releases at the end of March.

+ Skeetlejuice on February 13th, 2014 at 8:15 am said:

So does the PS4 version support Remote Play on the vita? If so how does this compare with the vita version, and will there be a bundle for PS4 and Vita to encourage people to buy the vita version when they could just use remote play potentially.

Just wondering if there is an official plan on that, i know with 12 you could transfer between vita and ps3 saves, maybe buying the vita version could be a way to make people happy waiting for ps4 and playing games to match the start of the season for their teams. Knowing that the save for the modes would allow them to keep all their progress going into the PS4 version.

it would be smart to do these things. Otherwise it’s hard to hook people to buy more than one version. We need the value to be compelling.

+ undertaker9999 on February 13th, 2014 at 8:32 am said:

I dont mind if its coming in May ( PS4 Version) if they need the extra month to make sure the game is one of the best PS4 sports games on the market I am ok with that instead of them rushing it out than they have to patch the game to make it playable take your time MLB

+ italodancemp3 on February 13th, 2014 at 8:32 am said:

I’m not a big fan of MLB games but it’s coming for PS Vita as well as others but you didn’t mention that so what’s wrong with …..? I wonder why?

+ FearMonkey on February 13th, 2014 at 8:47 am said:

Lookin’ good guys. :)

I live just down the street from your studio so if you need me to come by and try out the PS4 version and judge your progress I’d be more than happy to. ^_^

I’ll bring donuts from Donut Touch. Mmmmm….donuts.

+ SmilingJynx on February 13th, 2014 at 8:48 am said:

Will there be an upgrade system going from the ps3 to ps4? Maybe for the price of 10, 20 or 30 dollars.

+ JohnnyVonRotten on February 13th, 2014 at 8:53 am said:

“Donut Touch”? That sounds… wrong.

+ Sub-Zero on February 13th, 2014 at 8:56 am said:

Would also like to know if this is going to UK. Have a PSN friend that wants it and say he doubts it will show up there.

+ SmilingJynx on February 13th, 2014 at 9:00 am said:

Will The Show be coming out in Europe & Japan? I would love to play with my ps brother and sisters on the other side of the world.

+ FearMonkey on February 13th, 2014 at 9:01 am said:

@28 – Google it or go to “donut touch dot com”. Best donuts ever.

+ raspyzo on February 13th, 2014 at 9:04 am said:

Will there be a cross-save between Vita and PS4?

+ Madd_Hatter401 on February 13th, 2014 at 9:13 am said:

I can’t wait for this game! It’s about time we hear and see something about the PS4 version. Please keep the Show news coming.

+ mgarc1125 on February 13th, 2014 at 9:23 am said:

Will there still be PS Move functionality for PS3/PS4?

+ Ftwrthtx on February 13th, 2014 at 9:35 am said:

What about the new instant replay system in place in MLB?

+ YungShep on February 13th, 2014 at 9:36 am said:

NAPOLI!!!!!!!!!!

got the beard right on PS4 :) mi gusta :) : )

thanks for detailing my world champion Red Sox, classy as always. see you in May

+ Dustinwp on February 13th, 2014 at 10:05 am said:

Please, have Move support on the PS4 version. The Move is the only way to play The Show.

+ Arkeen on February 13th, 2014 at 11:01 am said:

Can’t wait for this. People shouldn’t be complaining about a May release date. Polish it up

+ MakoSOLIDER on February 13th, 2014 at 11:05 am said:

Nick Suttner edition please.

+ Elvick_ on February 13th, 2014 at 11:30 am said:

Sony, you need to make larger PS Vita game cards so the Vita version doesn’t lag severely behind in features.

4GB is not enough.

+ tusunami on February 13th, 2014 at 11:49 am said:

This is good to see more PS Vita games coming to the platform. But what I don’t understand is how come soccer & baseball are the only two sports games that are made for the PS Vita?

+ JLinguistix on February 13th, 2014 at 12:06 pm said:

Once again, it’s as if you’ve forgotten that the A’s are a team. Do better in your inclusion of teams, especially if you want to highlight the most exciting aspects of the sport.

+ EvilAbdy on February 13th, 2014 at 12:12 pm said:

Destructoid mentioned stadium specific chants. will that make it to PS3? Also that trailer has a severe lack of Orioles in it :)

+ getsome4210 on February 13th, 2014 at 12:14 pm said:

I dont even want this game if i cant download mp3s for my custom juke box the game has. This is getting ridiculous sony where is the mp3 compatibility for ps 4

+ ozzy4275 on February 13th, 2014 at 12:25 pm said:

its disappointing to say the least that my favorite gaming franchise is coming out in may. when i purchased my ps4 mlb the show was the only game i was looking forward too.

+ Elvick_ on February 13th, 2014 at 12:51 pm said:

@45: Don’t buy a console for a game without a release date. If you do, you have no right to complain about it.

+ CommandingTiger on February 13th, 2014 at 1:12 pm said:

Hey Sony. You Really need to fix the fragile Analog Sticks of the PS4.
They wear out very easily and way too fast.

This problem needs to be fixed This Year and don’t delay!
This will hurt your bottom line if this issue isn’t resolve As Quickly As Possible.

I thing the PS3 analogs are much better, you should use that same quality of materials.

+ Almighty-Koz on February 13th, 2014 at 1:35 pm said:

will i be able to continue my game on the vita from the ps4? if so ill get the vita version and wait for the ps4 version?

+ Almighty-Koz on February 13th, 2014 at 1:37 pm said:

never mind im now super excited somehow i glanced over the saves across all three platforms and my happiest thing that game saves from mlb 14 will be able to continue in mlb 15 and so on.

+ thrillwell on February 13th, 2014 at 2:46 pm said:

ORANGE FRIDAY! Loving the new throwback look.

This means I have to wait until May? I’m buying a PS4 just for this.
Since the delay, I’m not even gonna bother unless the game gets flawless reviews.

I’m speculating that the delay is to boost PS3 sales and not gonna believe otherwise.
Don’t be like EA.