PS4 - Destiny

Earth Defense Force 2025 Out Today on PS3

Kaori Takasue's Avatar + Posted by Kaori Takasue on Feb 18, 2014 // Product Manager, Square Enix Japan Studios

Earth Defense Force 2025

Many of you have been waiting a very long time for the release of Earth Defense Force 2025, and I’m proud to say that the game is available for PS3 starting today! Acclaimed Japanese developer Sandlot is back at it again, creating the best EDF experience yet.

Many of you know what makes EDF great, and that’s crushing giant insects and destroying everything in sight. But what many of you didn’t know is that the Earth Defense Force series started way back in 2003 for PS2, and EDF 2025 is the 7th game in the series.

EDF 2025 takes place eight years after peace from the last attack in 2017. That peace is suddenly shattered when giant, burrowing ant-like creatures burst from the ground and begin attacking the populace. The EDF is called back into action and this is where the fun begins.

Earth Defense Force 2025Earth Defense Force 2025

So what’s new in EDF 2025?

• 80+ missions
  • 4-player online multiplayer mode
  • Exclusive online multiplayer mode missions
  • 700+ weapons
  • 4 different character classes, including a sure-to-be-favorite, Wing Diver
  • Local Versus Mode
  • New enemies, including a fire-breathing dragon

Like Earth Defense Force 2017, we expect players to return to their PS3 for years to come to not only save Earth from the insects, but to introduce their friends to the awesomeness of EDF.

With the launch of EDF 2025 today, we have a ton of fun things available to players. The first of three mission packs is now available to download. Titled the Special Ops Mission Pack, players can play five additional levels of EDF and be introduced to new locations. And we’re running a special promotion on our Facebook page right now where players can participate in an EDF 2025 newscast and earn the Special Ops Mission Pack for free.

Earth Defense Force 2025

Also available today for free are the Wing Diver and Fencer Weapons Packs.

The Wing Diver Weapons Pack

• Reflectron Laser — with this weapon, you can fire a special laser that takes a zigzag path. If it’s used in a narrow passage, it’ll bounce off the wall and travel in zigzags, so it’s an effective weapon with giant insects as it can maximize range without being blocked.
  • Gleipnir — this super weapon silently discharges a ball of energy. It stays in the air for a while, discharging homing missiles. Only Wing Divers can use this weapon, as it requires the Psyonic Link.

The Fencer Weapons Pack

• Ifrit — this weapon is a convergence scorching cannon. Each rocket is equipped with multiple incendiary bombs that will ignite upon contact, causing massive damage.
  • Blood Storm — the Blood Storm cannon’s powerful missiles will separate mid-air and rain down on the enemy’s head. Inflict damage on an area with this dangerous weapon.

So let us know what you think of the game! And when you’re getting rid of those pesky bugs, give out a yell of “EDF! EDF! EDF!” just for me.

+ MrBendel on February 18th, 2014 at 7:07 am said:

Funny commercial! I always felt bad accidentally blowing up buildings while trying to kill giant bugs… Now I can at least give back.

+ Kaori Takasue on February 18th, 2014 at 1:28 pm said:

Yeah, ya know, always a problem. Glad you enjoyed it!

+ shadowbroly on February 18th, 2014 at 7:07 am said:

Can’t wait to play it!

+ Sk8erfreakmatt10 on February 18th, 2014 at 7:10 am said:

Can’t wait! I’ve had this one pre ordered for ages! The EDF games are my favorite. Hurry up UPS man!

+ nYcFrEeWiLL82 on February 18th, 2014 at 7:14 am said:

there is only one thing that BUGS me about this game..and its the GRAPHICS…it might just be the computer screen or what not..but if they look this bad…im not going to be that interested. Ive never played an EDF game so im not going to just jump to conclusions and say this game is wack. I shall rent it first and if it promises some fun ..on and offline..then i will purchase..and my PS3 with INSECT the disc..for a long time. :p

+ Neimemx on February 18th, 2014 at 7:21 am said:

So…digital release today?price?

+ DanKuuga on February 18th, 2014 at 7:32 am said:

EDF! EDF!! EDF!!!
Still have my imported copy of EDF 2! Can’t wait to pick this one up!

+ Kaori Takasue on February 18th, 2014 at 1:31 pm said:

EDF! EDF! EDF!

+ Airii_ on February 18th, 2014 at 7:42 am said:

And I’m still here waiting for ps store update . . .
specially monmon :D

+ J3t-St0rm on February 18th, 2014 at 8:19 am said:

I don’t remember any exclusive online missions in the Japanese version. Curious…

+ PainOfSarrow on February 18th, 2014 at 8:39 am said:

Luvv it, my type of game. great trailer. i just bought insect armaggedon last night. was my first time playing this game. i know its not made by the same team but it was great and everyone is saying this will be much better. def getting this aswell.

+ shadow15972 on February 18th, 2014 at 8:42 am said:

Sucks it rated M, won’t be buying it sadly. I LOVE EDF but won’t buy an M rated version. All I saw was that the blood was changed from green to red, but I guess ESRB decides that’s enough for a M. :/ Anyways, happy to see the game localized atleast!

+ shadow15972 on February 18th, 2014 at 8:43 am said:

Almost forgot, EDF EDF EDF! :D

+ Kaori Takasue on February 18th, 2014 at 1:33 pm said:

EDF! EDF! EDF!

+ Ryumoau on February 18th, 2014 at 8:44 am said:

Why do these EDF games still look lke something out of the ps2 era? It wasn’t just this one but the Vita one as well. Its like this franchise hasn’t progressed at all.

I might give this a rental during the slow gaming season but no way would i spend a full $60.

+ Kaori Takasue on February 18th, 2014 at 1:34 pm said:

I would still give it a shot since it’s alot of fun and a ton of content for only $50.

+ Fullmetal156 on February 18th, 2014 at 9:00 am said:

I actually called the number lol pretty funny stuff.

+ Kaori Takasue on February 18th, 2014 at 1:35 pm said:

I’m soooo glad you did. Wasn’t sure if anyone would catch that but that is really cool that you did. Glad you thought it was funny! Tell your friends!

+ Viewtiful_Gene on February 18th, 2014 at 9:30 am said:

If you care so much about graphics in a videogame, then you know nothing about them, and you should quit this hobbie, because if you care so much about visuals and s***ty stories go and watch a commercial movie for christ’s sake.
It’s all you really care about in a game nowadays?! No wonder the industry is f-ing dead.

Games are to have fun, and the EDF games BURST with FUN and ENJOYMENT, and they are crazy and silly also.
What more can you ask for?

EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF! EDF!

+ JENNY101282 on February 18th, 2014 at 9:41 am said:

hmmm no thanks. plenty happy playing BL2 :)

+ Fire_Crazed on February 18th, 2014 at 10:19 am said:

Called the Phone #, lol nice little easter egg!

+ Kaori Takasue on February 18th, 2014 at 1:37 pm said:

Very awesome, that is really cool that you found that! Thanks for calling!

+ shadow15972 on February 18th, 2014 at 10:32 am said:

@viewtiful_gene I agree with you, it seems that’s all people care about which is the stupidest thing ever.

+ odd69 on February 18th, 2014 at 11:42 am said:

Im a fan of the EDF, im buying it Friday . And yes this is pure fun gaming , i proudly support this.

+ Kaori Takasue on February 18th, 2014 at 1:38 pm said:

Thank you for your support. We need to end the insect infestation!

+ IXxHIJACKERxXI on February 18th, 2014 at 11:47 am said:

Funny clip only $49.99 to save the world :) keep up the bad work EDF EDF EDF ill try my best to get it EDF EDF

+ Kaori Takasue on February 18th, 2014 at 1:39 pm said:

EDF! EDF! EDF!

+ IXxHIJACKERxXI on February 18th, 2014 at 11:50 am said:

No Free DLC EDF! EDF!

+ tusunami on February 18th, 2014 at 12:24 pm said:

Say what saving the world & crushing intergalatic alien bugs in the process. i should have picked the other 2 up when they were on sale. It’s just my backlog because i have PS Plus is ridiculous.

+ Bilouze on February 18th, 2014 at 1:16 pm said:

I’ll wait for the Vita version.

+ supvic on February 18th, 2014 at 1:26 pm said:

EDF is LIVE for the US PSN (that means everyone!): https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-us/games/earth-defense-force-2025/cid=UP0367-NPUB31164_00-EDF2025D00000001

+ supvic on February 18th, 2014 at 2:11 pm said:

Is the News Cast temporarily down? I’ve been waiting an hour for it to load in both firefox and IE, it doesn’t work.

+ Kaori Takasue on February 19th, 2014 at 11:05 am said:

Thank you for letting us know. Some of the troubleshooting that I am aware of is clearing your cache or using the latest browsers as everything should be working.

+ jimmyfoxhound on February 18th, 2014 at 2:55 pm said:

YES!!! Thank you SO much D3 for publishing this in NA. I absolutely love these games!! THANK YOU!!!!

+ Kaori Takasue on February 19th, 2014 at 11:05 am said:

Thank YOU for being a fan of EDF! We love the game and hope to see a ton of people playing online co-op too!

+ genius527 on February 18th, 2014 at 7:15 pm said:

Like out for p.s. store cause if it is then “yes”. And does it cost money or downloaded.

+ midnightshade on February 18th, 2014 at 7:41 pm said:

Just bought EDF 2017 on vita last week and love it!! It’s so fun. This game looks so much better though , with multiple characters.

Will you guys please put this out on the vita? I really don’t want to play it on console. This is something I need to be able to play anywhere. Vita version please!!!

+ Kaori Takasue on February 19th, 2014 at 11:06 am said:

We hope to put the game out on more consoles if the current console launch does well. We have done post launch releases before and wish we can do that again with this game. Thank you for your support!

+ Slizarus on February 18th, 2014 at 8:20 pm said:

I’m going to pick this up eventually, just got 2017 Portable, but I want to play this in split screen with my Girlfriend, made sure I got the free DLC while it’s free :) Looking forward to the wing diver!

Also, Man, Hard mode on 2017 is hard in the first level, just couldn’t kill those ants fast enough, they kill all my soldiers, one second they’re all EDF EDF EDF.. and then it’s silent and I get swarmed. oh boy :p

For anyone on the fence, I think one reviewer was smart when they compared this to the Dynasty Warriors of Shooting, it’s glorious destruction and a game for fun.

Thanks for releasing in the West, please consider a Vita version.

+ Kaori Takasue on February 19th, 2014 at 11:08 am said:

The game is great with friends. We had a ton of fun showing off co-op at events the last few months. Have you tried Inferno mode yet, now that is crazy hard! Thank you for playing EDF!

+ Dangisuckatgamin on February 18th, 2014 at 9:12 pm said:

I’ll wait for a sale, looks too similar to Insect Armagedon and $50 is too high anyways.

+ supvic on February 19th, 2014 at 4:23 am said:

It’s nothing like Insect Armageddon, it’s not even the same engine or developer, that game was a disgrace to EDF.

+ PrinceofXIII on March 1st, 2014 at 4:58 pm said: