Far Cry 4

Hands-on with Daylight on PS4: Broadcasting Your Horror

Ryan Clements's Avatar + Posted by Ryan Clements on Feb 20, 2014 // Social Media Specialist

Daylight

The meek shine of a cell phone light provides precious little comfort in the dark halls of an abandoned hospital. Its glow throws menacing shadows across every wall and beneath long-abandoned wheelchairs. Creaking steps and whispers flutter down the passage, and the promise of a scare is never far off. But Daylight, which launches on PS4 this April, offers a different take on the classic genre. And with the developers at Zombie Studios taking a keen interest in streaming tech, the horror of playing alone could actually be a shared experience.

Crafted by a small team at Zombie, Daylight follows the frightened footsteps of Sarah Gwynn as she works her way through a series of haunting environs. While many horror games rely on finely tuned scares specific to the moment, Daylight uses procedurally generated play to keep every moment fresh. Levels and scares change for each player, meaning that no two sessions will be identical. And no player will know exactly when that foreboding whisper will turn into a howling spectre hungry for Sarah’s life.

DaylightDaylight

In Daylight, players have no weapons – only flares to fend off the supernatural powers at work in the hospital. Sarah’s only hope is escape. Not fighting for her life, but running for it. And Daylight involves a lot of breathless running, as players guide Sarah through the labyrinthine corridors and thick forests in hope of finding a way home. Collecting items (often in the form of creepy notes) will progress the story forward, and inch players one step closer to the end.

But the team at Zombie has other plans for Daylight. Streaming has been a huge boon to the PS4 community, and the devs want Daylight to have an involved relationship with livestreams. The hope is to allow viewers to control the actual scares in a streamer’s experience, providing a much more interactive dynamic between player and audience. This new form of communal play has been showered with attention recently thanks to the Twitch community streaming a classic RPG as a group.

With harrowing sound effects, random scares, and even 3D support (offering an incredible degree of depth), Daylight is already damn scary. And there’s nothing more horrifying than giving the internet the ability to frighten you, too.

+ akisuo on February 20th, 2014 at 6:13 am said:

Sounds like a good game to only play at night with all the lights off and wear my Sony Pulse headset. I look forward to this. =)

+ Ryan Clements on February 20th, 2014 at 10:13 am said:

Excellent. I like your plan.

+ barbob75 on February 20th, 2014 at 6:13 am said:

I’m really looking foward to this game, looks scary.

+ Ryan Clements on February 20th, 2014 at 10:13 am said:

It is. :3

+ Hestar69 on February 20th, 2014 at 6:18 am said:

Can’t wait to play it! Anyword on the price?

+ John Hardin on February 20th, 2014 at 10:14 am said:

Yep! I forgot to tell Clements (because Zombie/ATLUS decided to release the info v. late last night, plz send coffee), but it’s going to be $14.99/€14.99/£11.99!

+ Crazy-Maisy on February 20th, 2014 at 6:20 am said:

I was really interested in this game watching E3 last year (on my computer) and I’m glad to see more about it now. Scaring me isn’t so easy, and it’ll be very interesting to see how this works out, streaming too, as well as 3D. Knock my socks off!

+ Ryan Clements on February 20th, 2014 at 10:13 am said:

I hope it has sock-knocking capabilities for you!

+ DarkWicahpi on February 20th, 2014 at 6:22 am said:

It makes me sad it’s not coming to ps3 but hey, I can’t expect games to keep tending to an old gen system can I? Lol looks like a perfect game to play in the middle of the night after the kids go to bed with the headphones up! Can’t wait to get a ps4.

+ Ryan Clements on February 20th, 2014 at 10:14 am said:

I can’t wait for you to join the PS4 community!

+ John Hardin on February 20th, 2014 at 10:15 am said:

It takes the raw horsepower of the PS4 for Daylight to milk every bit of graphical oomph from Unreal Engine 4.

+ Wolfisaurus on February 20th, 2014 at 6:34 am said:

First of all, BEYOND!!! After playing Outlast, I have been even more excited for this game. The fact that it can play out differently every time you play is awesome. I doubt this will be Free with PS+ in April, but if it is my head might explode!!! This year just keep getting better for PS4! Thanks Ryan

+ Ryan Clements on February 20th, 2014 at 10:14 am said:

Thank YOU!

Beyond!

+ Kezabien2 on February 20th, 2014 at 6:37 am said:

Sounds to me as if this is going to be very similar to Outlast.

Don’t get me wrong, that’s not a bad thing. Loving that game at the moment, so will definitely buy this!

+ Ryan Clements on February 20th, 2014 at 10:14 am said:

Cool beans. ^_^

+ solidsteaktube on February 20th, 2014 at 6:46 am said:

Thanks to zombie studios for offering 3D support. I understand demand might not be at a fever pitch for this format, but to those of us who invested in 3D tvs, its a real treat to play any game with it. I’ll be picking this one up for sure.

+ John Hardin on February 20th, 2014 at 10:30 am said:

This happened at the hands-on event:

“Why do the graphics on this game look so janky”
    *hands them a pair of 3D glasses*
    “Oh. OOOOOHHHHHH. OH HOLY @!*@# WHAT WAS THAT.” *throws glasses off and runs away*

+ dustman0607 on February 20th, 2014 at 7:09 am said:

Beyond!

+ Ryan Clements on February 20th, 2014 at 10:14 am said:

Beyond!

+ XFRod on February 20th, 2014 at 7:30 am said:

#5 DarkWicahpi – It’s nice to see someone with your attitude. Personally, I look forward to the day when I can mothball the PS3 into retirement. “Stick of Truth” (along with a few others) kind of prevents that, for now.

I’m pretty sure kids cut into your PlayStation money but, hurry up and join us in PS4 land, asap. You Don’t want to miss out on “Second Son”. Besides, even with the titles getting released on both systems…. Nobody’s choosing the PS3 version of “Watch Dogs” unless they have no other choice.

+ iamStilbon on February 20th, 2014 at 8:06 am said:

I read on another website that Daylight will be 14.99 in the PSN store is this right?

+ John Hardin on February 20th, 2014 at 10:16 am said:

That is correct.

+ anti-altair16 on February 20th, 2014 at 8:07 am said:

I’ve been looking forward to this since I saw it last E3. I can’t wait to get it when it comes out. I hope it comes free for PS+ members, that would be fantastic. If not, I’ll still buy it. This game coupled with my new PS Gold headset set with the ‘Horror’ custom mode from the Headset Companion App should have me weeping like a newborn. I love horror games! It’s awesome to know that they’ll be putting the ‘Interact’ button to use. Only Tomb Raider uses it but it does nothing from what I’ve seen.

+ CodeSe7en on February 20th, 2014 at 8:19 am said:

Wow, can’t wait for this! 3D even?! Sold!

+ nygiantsfan1675 on February 20th, 2014 at 9:28 am said:

Definately looking forward to playing this game and will be a definate game for me to buy on release day

+ GodofDeathOnline on February 20th, 2014 at 9:34 am said:

i wonder how much the game will cost anything over 40 will be to much the games graphics dont look that great and it looks like a rip off of outlast

+ GodofDeathOnline on February 20th, 2014 at 10:21 am said:

i see the price is 14.99 not bad

+ John Hardin on February 20th, 2014 at 10:28 am said:

It’s $14.99. The graphics are pretty amazing once you get into it. The role of the graphics in Daylight is to get you sucked in to the environment, and it’s hard to convey that in a screenshot, unfortunately.

+ Mecha-Samurai on February 20th, 2014 at 10:28 am said:

What is the release date on this again?

+ John Hardin on February 20th, 2014 at 10:30 am said:

April 8!

+ the_FREELANCER on February 20th, 2014 at 10:46 am said:

Absolute perfect type of game for 3D, can’t wait!

+ honkayjeezus on February 20th, 2014 at 11:33 am said:

Lost all interest when I learned Jessica Chobot was writing it. Funny how another IGN’er gives the game more PR, Ryan?

+ Asumos666 on February 20th, 2014 at 11:44 am said:

wow, reminds me of a horror survival ps1 classic called D. miss that game, and this one just might blow that classic out of the water. looks and sounds amazing can’t wait

+ yowzagabowza on February 20th, 2014 at 12:13 pm said:

This actually looks like its worth the $15, unlike a lot of other psn games lately. And though i usually cant play first person games, outlast showed me that as long as im just running around and stuff, its not so disorienting. So day one for me. Oh, and give it a platinum.

+ tusunami on February 20th, 2014 at 12:16 pm said:

The horror games are ramping up alot from developers this year aye.

+ SDkngsht on February 20th, 2014 at 12:43 pm said:

this game looks promising. Outlast was short but the first truly creepy survival game in a while. being helpless is frustrating at first but it actually adds to the fear because you can’t do anything but run. whereas if you have a million weapons it just turns into another shooter in zombie mode haha.

+ WoundedUnderwear on February 20th, 2014 at 2:20 pm said:

This game is look like Outlast, which I am really enjoy playing right now, thanks to PS PLUS. Can’t wait to give Daylight a spin. Looking good. Keep up the awesome work!

+ Bigrichie7 on February 20th, 2014 at 2:50 pm said:

Looks like a good time. looks like it will be worth a buy for 14.99. And with the patch for the Pulse Elites its going to be awesome!
P.S. Good to have you back on Podcast Beyond Ryan! even if its just for one :(
Beyond!!

+ poopchala14 on February 20th, 2014 at 2:54 pm said:

Can’t wait! Just got the PS4 yesterday..

+ Tomoprime on February 20th, 2014 at 3:51 pm said:

Wow OUTLAST 2 already?

+ snakeeyes211 on February 20th, 2014 at 4:33 pm said:

Will the game carry a platinum trophy?

+ maxcoronel2014 on February 20th, 2014 at 4:41 pm said:

In a previous post about this game it was said that this title could get a “Discount Price” for Plus members. Any news about it?

+ MadSystem_ on February 20th, 2014 at 5:10 pm said:

This will be a day one purchase for me. Can’t wait!

+ unbornsoldier on February 20th, 2014 at 8:49 pm said:

Looking forward to this 0.0

Great price tag too $14.99

How many hours is the campaign roughly?

How does the streaming scares work??

+ ima_hustla_19 on February 20th, 2014 at 9:19 pm said:

cant wait to play this on my 120 inch 3D projector with the pulse headset.

+ AizawaYuuichi on February 21st, 2014 at 2:17 am said:

As I mentioned on the last post, still haven’t tried Outlast. But this game…

This, I will buy, and I will play it. The 3D sells it for me. 3D, on my Bravia LED, with my Pulse Elite headset… and procedurally generated, so you can never anticipate the scares between playthroughs. I will cry like a little girl. But I will play it.

+ jimmy_falcone on February 21st, 2014 at 7:10 am said:

Looking forward to slaying some more zombies. But unfortunately it’s a other system buy… Playstations sold out every week and being sold double the price online.

+ jimmy_falcone on February 21st, 2014 at 7:16 am said:

Never mind skimmed the article. Thought was Dying Light

+ Ja-Milz on February 21st, 2014 at 8:57 am said:

If Outlast was awesome without weapons I know this will be badass because you use flares and lights and you get to explore more environments. Hope they make this a Playstation Plus Game also if not hopefully it’s worth the $60 bucks price tag with good replay elements

+ Maluraq on February 22nd, 2014 at 5:54 am said:

Reminds me in premise of Amnesia: Dark Descent which I really wish would be made as a console game as well. Very cool idea.

+ tfwo420 on February 22nd, 2014 at 9:50 am said:

This would be so wicked if you could use the vita to motion control the cell phone.

+ l337_Atreyu on March 3rd, 2014 at 1:29 pm said:

Looking forawrd to this. I am looking forward to seeing what Anthony has been up to at Zombie.

+ soricblackshadow on March 13th, 2014 at 4:55 pm said:

So i was told by someone that this game is connected to the storyline of Outlast. is that true?