PS4 - Transistor

New Thief Trailer Revealed

Nicolas Cantin's Avatar + Posted by Nicolas Cantin on Feb 20, 2014 // Art/Game Director

Heads up, ladies and gents! Stock up on supplies, book time off of work, don your cloak and bow — whatever you need to get prepared — as Thief is coming to PS4 and PS3 next week! To hold you over ’til then, here’s our launch trailer, which unveils new snippets of Garrett’s story, as well as some new gameplay.

Ruled by power and money, the City grows sick. Unwise men have tempered with powers they don’t understand. You take on the role of Garrett, the Master Thief, and you can approach each situation in the way you choose. Play as a predator and strike from the shadows, or complete the game without taking a single life. You can even complete the game without causing an enemy alert. This is classic Thief.

Want to really challenge yourself? Completely turn off the screen’s interface, or even enable Iron Man mode, which triggers a Game Over if Garrett dies. There’s a multitude of ways to fully customize your experience, as we know you guys like to tinker. So make sure you check out all the options we’ve made available before you step into the shadows.

We’ve said it many times before, but at Eidos-Montréal, we’re huge fans of the original Thief games, and we’ve done our absolute best to bring you a superb stealth game.

Thief will emerge in stores on Tuesday February 25th for PS3 and PS4. For more details, or to pre-order the game, visit the official website.

31 Comments

+ hawjboi2009 on February 20th, 2014 at 5:38 am said:

awesome trailer, can’t wait to play this game next week tuesday on ps4.. whoohoo. i already pre-order this game in PSN Store

+ asumountaineer93 on February 20th, 2014 at 5:39 am said:

Reminds me of the Assassin’s Creed Series.

+ JimmyHACK on February 20th, 2014 at 5:40 am said:

PS4 with the exclusive 1080P version!

+ Elway358 on February 20th, 2014 at 5:43 am said:

Lots of folks already streaming this on PS4 and I have to say It’s not very impressive imo. It will probably sell decent simply because of the lack of PS4 games available but yeah, I’ll wait and catch it in the bargain bin.

Couple real turn-offs were the awful, “tr@nny looking” character models and the fact that it looks like they’re all zombies. Especially the main character with that cheesy outstretched-hands walk. Braaaaiiinnnssss…

+ barbob75 on February 20th, 2014 at 6:22 am said:

Can’t wait for this, im going to preorder this on PSN today.

+ HerrTruffle on February 20th, 2014 at 6:24 am said:

OMG this game looks so choice. It’s been so long since there was a thief game and this one looks like it really keeps the spirit of the series alive in a great way.

+ NintendoTim on February 20th, 2014 at 6:28 am said:

@2 – Thief has been around since the mid-to-late 90s, so if anything, Thief was some inspiration for Assassin’s Creed.

@4 – “cheesy outstretched-hands walk” Guess you didn’t like Dishonored, either? Also, “”tr@nny looking” character models” won’t win you *any* points with anybody. You really should work on your filter…

+ Valde_zerocool on February 20th, 2014 at 6:29 am said:

I’m really excited for this even though I’m not a stealth gamer. The feature I’m most excited about is that even if your cover is blown you can still melee down the enemies.

+ Elway358 on February 20th, 2014 at 6:44 am said:

@7 Nope, was so unimpressed by anything I saw that was dishonored related I didn’t even bother. Tired of supporting crap games simply because of lack of options.

As far as “points”, from anyone who doesn’t like the tr@nny description, definitely don’t want ‘em. I call it exactly how I see it. Like it or not, couldn’t care less…

+ SureBigBuster on February 20th, 2014 at 7:13 am said:

Can’t wait for Tuesday!!!! Preordered at Gamestop and got the Bank Heist DLC and soundtrack :)

+ italodancemp3 on February 20th, 2014 at 7:21 am said:

I hope to see it on Vita,is there any chance ? a port to Vita (No Remote player)

+ hdt2101 on February 20th, 2014 at 7:29 am said:

Finally! The long wait has finally ended, it’s time to evade the watch… next week.

+ PainOfSarrow on February 20th, 2014 at 7:54 am said:

any info on average length ?

+ BattleSkard on February 20th, 2014 at 8:13 am said:

Do we know how long the game is?

+ Mando44646 on February 20th, 2014 at 8:24 am said:

Finally some diversity on PS4! All I have to play is AC4 (because shooters and sportsballs and Indies dont interest me). Definitely a reason to turn on my console for once :)

+ EJStrat on February 20th, 2014 at 9:20 am said:

2/25? That’s five days too many! Pre-ordered and so ready to play! What’s the word on future DLC?

+ CrusaderForever on February 20th, 2014 at 9:54 am said:

Amazing! Already preordered the PS4 version on PSN! Cannot wait to dive into this game!

+ FearMonkey on February 20th, 2014 at 10:28 am said:

“You take on the role of Garrett, the Master Thief, and you can approach each situation in the way you choose.”

Except I can’t jump where I want or use rope arrows where I want. I’m still not sure why jumping except in contextual situations is not allowed in this game because it supposedly makes it less immersive if a master thief can so easily fall to his death, according to the game director. But at the same time they force setpieces on us where Garrett is caught and has to run away from the guards. If he’s a master thief who can’t fall to his death, then he also shouldn’t get caught. Ever. No matter what story point you’re trying to force down our throats. If you’re going to make a Thief game, do it right. Thanks.

+ Ryumoau on February 20th, 2014 at 10:36 am said:

i have this on the top of my gamefly queue for next week. can’t wait.

+ tusunami on February 20th, 2014 at 12:22 pm said:

This trailer is truely amazing, i just don’t see what games are coming out for the PS4. I’ll wait a year really lol.

+ SDkngsht on February 20th, 2014 at 1:26 pm said:

Looks like I may have found my Elder Scrolls Thieves Guild fix lol. Now if I could just assassinate people I could get my Dark Brotherhood fix too.

+ Mega-Sackman on February 20th, 2014 at 2:57 pm said:

Mmmm i think i want this one.

+ CEOIII1117 on February 20th, 2014 at 7:52 pm said:

I do hope we get a demo for this; this game could be what Dishonored tried to be and failed.

(Yeah, I said it, Dishonored sucked.)

+ midnightshade on February 20th, 2014 at 8:08 pm said:

Thief is my all time favorite series. Looking glass studios games I still play on PC to this day!!! I can’t wait for this! It’s been a hard wait, and it sucks that I have a damn appointment on night of release…errr Will be sending my wife to get my copy. Please do the series justice. I want another sequel after this!

+ Fire_Crazed on February 20th, 2014 at 9:30 pm said:

@4 perfect description from what i saw as well

@7 #4 does speak the truth. I also loved Dishonored, wish they make a Dishonored 2, The Order 1886 will have to do till then…

This game will prolly sell well due to the current lack of games out but its for fans who like stealth play over the go in guns a blazing imo.

+ CrusaderForever on February 21st, 2014 at 7:11 am said:

Looks great, I very much appreciate your hard work! Going to be great firing Thief 1080p up on my PS4 next Tuesday. This generation is going to be fantastic with all the best 3rd party releases. Pre-ordered on PSN so I am all set!

+ Welmosca on February 21st, 2014 at 11:06 am said:

Thief looks good,great trailer…I’ve been following the game since the 1st video released and as much as it is a shame that the game isn’t in 3rd person,it looks really good with a gameplay based on stealth.Never played a Thief game before but I’ll bet in this one…will be buying for sure.Also a non-MP game must be supported.

+ catsarefun2009 on February 21st, 2014 at 12:41 pm said:

This is about Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn. Because there’s nowhere else to post it…

I was looking forward to playing the beta version of Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn on PS4, but there’s just one problem:

You can’t play it.

This game is so passworded up that trying to get in is a frustrating and futile experience. You can spend hours just trying to register and you won’t be able to play.

So, if you got the time, go for it. Me, I deleted it and probably won’t buy it.

This game is real junk, Square Enix. You’d better get to work on repairing it.

+ supvic on February 21st, 2014 at 2:10 pm said:

#28, you can’t play it because it doesn’t go live until tomorrow, smh.

Thief is already out in Asia, people are streaming it on PS live.

+ Maluraq on February 22nd, 2014 at 5:56 am said:

@Elway358 Dishonoured was a fantastic game; in fact despite being quite long I started a replay just to try alternate actions. Can’t wait to play Thief.

+ PiMDx on February 22nd, 2014 at 8:29 am said:

Definitely a huge fan of the originals. I still have the jewel cases around here somewhere. I’ll be spending the weekend catching up on the fun.