PS4 - Destiny

Redbox Instant: Critic’s Picks Join the Playlist

Sean Bordenave's Avatar + Posted by Sean Bordenave on Feb 24, 2014 // Product Manager, Redbox

Hi PlayStation Community!

Last Tuesday, we came to you and asked what you’d like to see streaming most on Redbox Instant by Verizon’s The Playlist collection for your PS3 and PS4 systems.

Redbox Instant PlayList

It was an all-out battle of the themes between Critic’s Picks, It’s Crime Time, 80’s Faves and One Word Wonders, but ultimately Critic’s Picks came out on top with more than 300 votes. Since we crowned the winner this morning, our team has been hard at work scouring our catalog of thousands of movies to find you the best, award-winning and critically-acclaimed movies.

Check out The Playlist tomorrow for the new collection of movies we put together just for you. Thanks for your votes, and stream on Redhead Nation!

15 Comments

+ thegrimmling on February 24th, 2014 at 9:23 pm said:

You know what I want? First-run films that are not already on Netflix streaming.

+ Papa-Wheelie on February 24th, 2014 at 10:09 pm said:

Yes a more variety of movies that are not playing on Netflix gives a greater diversity of movies and also would attract more viewers for different movies.

:]
:P

+ Adam-12 on February 25th, 2014 at 4:12 am said:

I totally agree with thegrimmling. No one is going to give up Netflix, it is just too good.

The only way to compete is to showcase different movies, that I cannot get on Netflix streaming.

+ T3DV0L70L1N4 on February 25th, 2014 at 5:59 am said:

If I remember correctly, the “all-out battle” was regarding getting your useless Verizon icon OFF my XMB, you conglomerate bastards.

+ Xanthene on February 25th, 2014 at 6:07 am said:

I want to be able to stream netflix flawlessly through fios like before the red box deal was struck. Odd how it suddenly got shaky. Only verizon could make comcast look good with their new netflix partnership to provide better streaming. Can’t wait for my fios contract to be up.

+ DJBennett1985 on February 25th, 2014 at 6:41 am said:

“critic’s picks”

dat grammar

+ johnnyp70 on February 25th, 2014 at 7:10 am said:

@ #6-GOOD EYE!

+ GaMeR_bOi_83 on February 25th, 2014 at 7:36 am said:

Why all the hate? They’re just trying to better the content they have. I dislike certain things but I won’t go to a forum and bash them.

+ Talesgirl016 on February 25th, 2014 at 8:06 am said:

Thanks, I enjoy Redbox Instant:

+ Mando44646 on February 25th, 2014 at 8:55 am said:

when it offers more value than Netflix does, then maybe I’d switch. But right now, Redbox is in the same boat as Amazon Instant for me. Its all just a clone of Netlix’s offerings while Netflix also offers just a bit more. Offer brand new releases or current TV shows not on Hulu (like Walking Dead) and Id be all over it.

+ Shadow_Enz on February 25th, 2014 at 10:36 am said:

Here’s 2 things Verizon can do to help improve Redbox:

1. don’t remove content the way Netflix does (content expires after some time)
2. Say you’re sorry to the FCC and stop trying to attack Net Neutrality.

Do these two things, and I’ll throw money at my computer screen for Redbox.

+ TheFunkyPhantom on February 25th, 2014 at 1:49 pm said:

‘Critic’s Picks’? So just the one critic? Hahaha.

I’d love to be able to delete this icon off my PS3 and PS4. We’ll never be allowed to though, since Sony clearly got a money hat for its placement.

+ Conall-Star on February 25th, 2014 at 4:29 pm said:

@ #4 – Nailed it.

Said it before and I’ll say it again here (probably in vain). Let us remove the icon from our systems. If it wasn’t forced on me I’d try it out, but I greatly resent forced 3rd party apps.

+ Haskell420 on February 25th, 2014 at 10:47 pm said:

I have FIOS. I love it and think it’s great, and blows Cablevision away. Now when it comes too Redbox..w/ FIOS, you get 4 FREE 1-night DVD rentals a month w/ a Subscription ($8 a month) you pick up at a REDBOX Kiosk….

So they want $8 MONTH so you can access REDBOX, get the same movies petty much that are on HBO, Starz, SHO, etc..rentals, but then you gotta PAY FOR THE DARN RENTAL?

*Movie rentals and purchases are excluded. Not really into subscribing? You also can buy streaming movies that will be yours to keep, or rent streaming titles or discs, with or without a subscription. Those titles also have badges: Premium streaming titles that are available for rental and/or purchase have a badge that looks like a tag Rent/buy tag, and titles available at a Redbox kiosk have a disc badge Kiosk badge (of course!)

To find out what it costs to rent or purchase a streaming movie that isn’t included with the monthly subscription, just select its poster from the Movies page and then choose the arrow next to the Rent or Buy button.

+ ECisMe on February 26th, 2014 at 6:50 am said:

I refuse to use this service solely because of the way they’ve muscled their obtrusively large advertisement onto my PS3 XMB. I hope the business flounders and closes so that I don’t have to look at that annoying icon anymore.