Feb 25

Basement Crawl Out Today on PS4

Marc Colhoun's Avatar Posted by Marc Colhoun on Feb 25, 2014 // Marketing Manager, Bloober Team

Right everyone, this is it. Basement Crawl is landing on PS4 February 25th, which means that you can grab the game on PlayStation Store after it updates this afternoon. We have been pretty secretive about what we have been planning over the past few weeks, but just stay right there because it’s time to let you guys know what’s up.

Basement Crawl on PS4

First though, a quick recap for those of you who don’t know what this game that looks kinda like Bomberman on an acid trip is.

Basement Crawl is multiplayer, PS4-exclusive, fast paced, grid based death. It’s inspired by the likes of Bomberman and Spy vs. Spy, as well as more than a few horror movies. It features 4-player local multiplayer, 8 players online, or a mix of the two so you and a few friends play locally against a group of strangers online.

Basement Crawl on PS4Basement Crawl on PS4

So, what have we been doing the past month? We’ve been taking feedback we got from journalists about Basement Crawl and building on it. We changed the way bombs react when kicked or when they crash into another player to make it a more fluid and balanced system. We also worked on the the game’s aesthetics — the feedback we recieved was positive, especially for the minamilistic on-screen display, but we did have a complaint from one journalist (I’m looking at you Chris Bratt) about the leaderboards covering the entire screen when viewed. We addressed this by adding a small indicator on the screen, eliminating the need for a large scoreboard.

I know you guys probably have questions about the game — details I might have missed, what the best bomb or power up is, and more about what you’ll get for your hard-earned $9.99. So feel free to ask away, I will be lurking around the comments and will answer any questions you guys have.

PAGE 1 2

+ pinoyakohahaha on February 25th, 2014 at 9:03 am said:

Right everyone, this is it. Basement Crawl is landing on PS4 March 25th, It says today?

+ focaldragonfly23 on February 25th, 2014 at 9:04 am said:

Does it launch today it says March 25

+ Jeo on February 25th, 2014 at 9:06 am said:

Might want to fix the month on this post…

+ MakRoyale on February 25th, 2014 at 9:07 am said:

Possible to disable the floor “Lighting up” where the bombs will explode?

Since I’m assuming your bomb trail gets bigger as the game goes on, players should have to pay attention to that themselves.

+ TQuill on February 25th, 2014 at 9:14 am said:

I’m actually pretty excited about getting this today, looks like it has the potential to be a great online game for a group of friends late at night. My only worry is that there are currently zero (0) reviews for Basement Crawl thus far and it’s noon on launch day… Can we get some impressions/review copies out in to the wild please?
Other than that, I’m ready to play this and Thief later tonight despite the reviews, I absolutely loved Knack aka Crash PS4.

+ jeremy23jacinto on February 25th, 2014 at 9:17 am said:

so excited… i will finally use the $10 psn credit that comes with my ps4

+ Brink-2-Chaos on February 25th, 2014 at 9:20 am said:

Was waiting for this game Woot cant wait

+ jhernandez360 on February 25th, 2014 at 9:24 am said:

What is a “Acid Trip” ?

+ Sentry-Mann on February 25th, 2014 at 9:25 am said:

Can’t wait to check out some of the reviews, looks like it has potential!

+ SaltyxBadxBoy on February 25th, 2014 at 9:26 am said:

Will this game come with a demo?

+ Darig0n on February 25th, 2014 at 9:27 am said:

i thought this was supposed to be freeone time

+ Teraclips on February 25th, 2014 at 9:45 am said:

Hey, I was looking forward to this game. I have just one question.
Does the game have local bots?

+ Ntroncoso on February 25th, 2014 at 9:47 am said:

So, if it’s being added this afternoon, does that mean the 2 sales announced will also go live then? Does the store generally get updated in the afternoon?

+ siriusbee on February 25th, 2014 at 9:54 am said:

can’t wait for 1pm

+ JoGam on February 25th, 2014 at 9:55 am said:

So what you’re saying is this is a must have game? Ok, buying today.

+ Goreomedy on February 25th, 2014 at 9:55 am said:

The original delay was said to have been because of “exciting opportunities” with several new partners. What happened with that?

Marc Colhoun's Avatar

+ Marc Colhoun on February 26th, 2014 at 3:00 am said:

Hey buddy,
    We will be announcing more about out partnerships in the coming days, we are really excited about this but we can’t talk about it just yet. Stay tuned and you will get an announcement very soon. Sorry this is a bit vague but as soon as we can go public we will.

+ ZodTheRipper on February 25th, 2014 at 9:57 am said:

Guys watch this before buying this blindly ….

I was excited for this too but it seems like it’s not the game I hoped for.

Marc Colhoun's Avatar

+ Marc Colhoun on February 26th, 2014 at 3:06 am said:

Hey Zod,
    Yeah this is of an old build of the game, we took what Chris Bratt said on board and made changes to the game based on what he said. He is pretty happy that we took his advice. Also, we listen to what you guys are saying in forums and stuff so we are open to changes being made to the game depending on what you want to see, so let us know :)

+ BlindsideDork on February 25th, 2014 at 10:06 am said:

Was the “exciting opportunities” to remove single player because back in January there was said to be that with bots?

+ fishcotheque on February 25th, 2014 at 10:11 am said:

Would be nice if there was a demo for this. Since it’s so unique, I don’t think I’d risk spending my money without getting to try it first :)

+ IcedDice777 on February 25th, 2014 at 10:13 am said:

I would love to support your efforts but i’ll have to pass. I’ll buy your game once you add some bots for offline mode. You know, like old school Bomber man did on just about release.

+ IcedDice777 on February 25th, 2014 at 10:17 am said:

Edit * like old school bomberman did on just about every release *

+ MartB64 on February 25th, 2014 at 10:22 am said:

Will be picking this up as soon as the store updates!

1. does the game support 3D?
2. if you have no friends to play locally, can you still play? (forever alone) i.e. are there AI characters?
3. are there any plans for DLC in the future? Characters/maps/modes etc

Marc Colhoun's Avatar

+ Marc Colhoun on February 26th, 2014 at 3:10 am said:

We will be doing updates and DLC we are really going to focus on expanding and improving on this game after release. I think that supporting the game and the players that chose to drop 10 dollars on a game we made is the least of what we could do. But as of right now, there are no AI bots. Multiplayer only.

+ Sk8erfreakmatt10 on February 25th, 2014 at 10:22 am said:

Really looking forward to picking this one up today. I heard it has no way to play by yourself (bots). Is this true? Buying it either way, i just would like to see bots in the near future.

+ siriusbee on February 25th, 2014 at 10:27 am said:

I watched the whole video.

+ Vcheese on February 25th, 2014 at 10:55 am said:

So this actually means this is not going to be the IGC game for PS4 on march. I wonder which game it will be.

+ Snooterz on February 25th, 2014 at 11:07 am said:

There’s not a single review, or any gameplay whatsoever except the one teaser trailer. I’m interested in this game, but I’m really suspicious.

Marc Colhoun's Avatar

+ Marc Colhoun on February 26th, 2014 at 3:11 am said:

We have given builds to a few of the larger reviewers, they are working on it right now ;)

+ Vcheese on February 25th, 2014 at 11:10 am said:

I hope we get a AAA game time. Knack at least? ;D

+ Mo-green28 on February 25th, 2014 at 11:19 am said:

Still plan on buying this. Scared of the suspision and lack of review though.

+ Slizarus on February 25th, 2014 at 11:22 am said:

You guys said you’d put up a gameplay video almost a month ago, so now all we have is random youtubers. That’s not a solid way to market a new IP that has the feel of a game that’s precious to many of us.

Now I’ll consider this instead of an instabuy, we’ll see :)

+ BigBacon87 on February 25th, 2014 at 11:31 am said:

I love Bomberman so I really want this to be good. Anyone buy the game yet?

+ BigBacon87 on February 25th, 2014 at 11:34 am said:

I just remembered the ‘exciting partnership’ talk from a few months ago. If I buy this today it won’t be announced as next months free PS4 game in a week will it? That would be a terrible move from a PR perspective.

Marc Colhoun's Avatar

+ Marc Colhoun on February 26th, 2014 at 6:51 am said:

Hey we will be talking about our partnerships very soon, we just want to get past launch and get all the bugs worked out first. Give you guys a solid good game before we start worrying about throwing extra stuff in the game. BUT, with that said, do expect more info on this partnership soon :)

+ GodofDeathOnline on February 25th, 2014 at 12:08 pm said:

this game looks like nothing i thought it was going to be like the first trailer was missleading

+ JMBlakk on February 25th, 2014 at 12:12 pm said:

@32 yea that first trailer made no sense because this is a bomerman type game I think. I will watch some live gameplay to see if I like it since there is no demo.

+ tusunami on February 25th, 2014 at 12:16 pm said:

Now this seems like a interesting title, might check this out!!!!!!!!!!

+ Lefoul-123 on February 25th, 2014 at 12:19 pm said:

Ps4 only have lame exclusives.

+ wolverinevsx23 on February 26th, 2014 at 7:00 am said:

I would like to see a indicator where I’m at in the game. When you die you just pop up anywhere at random. It’s very hard to distinguish where you’ll be next.

Every map is on a angle and there’s that angle where you cannot see well.How about birds eye view?

AI bots…? We need them to play local.

I feel I wasted $10 bucks and the offerings I got with PS+ was better. Hopefully the developers support this game and I’ll give it one last shot otherwise I’ll just delete it.

+ Spletty91 on February 26th, 2014 at 7:11 am said:

good to see Marc Colhoun in here explaining some of the issues. If they can fix the few issues this game has i have no doubt it’d be one of the best indies on ps4. The lack of AI bots should be added if its even possible at this point. Also, maybe an option to remove character abilities so its just the classic experience. A Character indicator needs to be over each head so you know where you spawn. And of course the online needs to be fixed to a level of PLAYABLE. I’ve only been able to play about 5 1v1 offline matches, and i can tell itl be a fun game, i just want to be able to actually play online and possibly single player with bots.

+ SaltyxBadxBoy on February 26th, 2014 at 9:17 am said:

Although somewhat frustrating at first with some of the overall glitches. Being a big fan of grid based multiplayer games, this is quite fun. I do think it is somewhat challenging to have to come in first place in order to rank up, as I have tied many people for first peace but was placed second for some reason. I would also love to have some level of customization, simply being able to choose from 4 characters becomes somewhat repetitive. Overall I am pretty happy with my purchase and I hope that these features can be updated

+ TheRealBushkill on February 26th, 2014 at 10:33 am said:

Of all Bomberman or Bomberman type games only Bomberman 64 was actually decent. (in my opinion)

Would have loved to see more of that gameplay style. I think they strayed away from levels that were 1 floor and the explosions had a circular area of effect (as opposed to the cross explosions).

oh well.

+ SDkngsht on February 26th, 2014 at 1:21 pm said:

i can’t help but think of bomberman when i see this game but would love a demo to check it out before purchasing.

+ xLostPunkFoundx on February 26th, 2014 at 1:41 pm said:

Really wish I could play this game that I just spent $9.99 on. Should have read this first but I was very excited since I have wanted it since I saw the teaser. Since they removed any AI Bot option, and none of my friends have bought this, I CANNOT PLAY AT ALL. I have even tried to jump into several “Global Multiplayer” matches and just sit there “Waiting for the game to start…” for an excessive amount of time. Not a good way to promote indie game development and support.

+ DrWimpLo on February 26th, 2014 at 1:50 pm said:

Why the dark feel? Completely out of place for a party game… Visuals too dark, can’t really see anything. Ended up muting the music. Oh man… Lots of things to fix yet… Bought it yesterday, couldn’t log onto a match until today. Was so disappointed that I was compelled to write this short blurb. Happy to see someone is reading these comments, please fix! You had such a simple formula to follow!

+ okklee on February 26th, 2014 at 7:32 pm said:

I bought this game but trying to play but it stops on the game loading when i joined the room. I want refund if i cannot even play.

+ xAkademiks on February 27th, 2014 at 8:41 am said:

Everyone .. breathe. The game is great, but yes, it has a couple problems. Being upset is understandable, but being compassionate and understanding is also reasonable. Their an indy developer and went through testing internally and with Sony. Most of the problems are network related and can be easily addressed in a patch. As a developer I just want people to understand, you can go through testing until you’re blue in the face, but until something is actually live, and 1000’s to millions of people are playing the game, you can’t catch everything, it’s impossible. Give them a break, without indy developers like this, and housemarque and the support of Sony for them, we’d be left with not a whole lot right now. They make great games and Marc and the Team @ Blooper do an amazing job of listening to the community and trying to help! It’s an amazing thing to see!

I even went on Playstation Live the other day to check out the game while someone streamed it and Marc was in there answering questions gathering feedback. How often do you see that kind of commitment from developers?! I thought it was super cool!

– kristofffff ;)

+ barret232hxc on February 27th, 2014 at 9:38 am said:

First off, I want to say the game is fun and I love gameplay. The only complaint I have besides the multiplayer bugs which you’re already working on. The camera shake makes the game a bit disorienting for me. Is there any way that you could include a feature in the options to disable the camera shake for players that feel the same as me.

+ xAkademiks on February 27th, 2014 at 10:25 am said:

@59 yeah, actually when I was watching on Twitch a couple people wanted the option to turn that off as well.

+ foxhound1961 on March 1st, 2014 at 12:21 pm said:

I have to say that I’m incredibly disappointed with this game. It’s really an empty game that isn’t complete, and I’m actually very upset with myself for spending $10 on this without checking reviews beforehand. On the plus side, this game has taught me to really read into reviews and check gameplay instead of getting excited based on the trailers. Speaking of the trailer and the opening scene, where is story mode? There is potential for this game, but its opportunities are wasted.

I can only hope that some major patches and items are added to this game so that it isn’t just one game mode with honestly only one map (they’re all the same map really). Unfortunately, PSN won’t refund my $10, and this game will most likely be deleted very soon.

+ dday1988 on March 4th, 2014 at 5:46 pm said:

I hate to sound so entitled but this is the absolute worst 10 dollars ive ever spent on a video game and I own bomberman act zero there is only mp which never works theres 8 people good luck trying to figure out which one you are on tiny boards it moves too fast to actually require tact and skill like bomber man and the worst part is no patch or dlc can fix this this game is just bad and who would buy dlc after buying the game
basically I feel ripped off especially when 8 dollars a month gets me amazing games like outlast resogun and dead nation and thats not including the ps3 games

+ wolverinevsx23 on March 4th, 2014 at 7:13 pm said:

I’d like a refund on this broken game.

+ darktide31 on March 19th, 2014 at 2:40 pm said:

I buy this game this evening as the thought of a bomberman style game sounded fun.
installed and im sat for 15 mins waiting to find global players so i can actually play this game.

Gave up in end, seems there is not enough players online to even constitute starting a game…. Sigh, lets see if i get a refund or not.

PAGE 1 2