PS4-The Order

Fourth-Person Puzzler Pavilion Coming to PS4 and PS Vita

Henrik Flink's Avatar + Posted by Henrik Flink on Feb 28, 2014 // Co-founder and Creative Director, Visiontrick Media

During Tokyo Game Show last year, we (Henrik and Rickard), together with Sony Japan, announced that Pavilion would be coming to PS4 and PS Vita in 2014. Still, most people might not have heard that much about Pavilion, so we felt it was time to shed some light on the game.

“Pavilion, the fourth-person puzzling adventure from Visiontrick Media, throws you directly into its mysterious world without any text tutorials or beginning explanations. It is a puzzle game portrayed through exploration and audio-visual imagery. By interacting and observing you gradually, bit by bit, learn things about both the puzzling gameplay and the world itself.”

Let’s talk a little bit about the term “fourth-person,” which is something we’ve used over the past year to describe the way you interact with the main character. Basically, the character is not your avatar and you are not in control of him. Instead, you have to find different ways — mostly through environmental interaction — to guide, influence or even force him to explore and fulfill the purpose of the world. This indirect control is what we refer to when we say fourth-person.

This method of control has resulted in some interesting reactions. Some people feel it’s just a buzzword, while others are rather intrigued by it. In the end, we’re happy to see people giving it a thought and talking about it.

Pavilion on PS4Pavilion on PS4

Like many other games, Pavilion will be an experience best played without knowing too much about what lies ahead — so we’re not going to give away too much. However, we’ll be posting more details about the game here on PlayStation.Blog in the coming months. Until then, you can follow our Twitter feed or Facebook page for more daily updates. Thanks for your time, and see you on PS4 and PS Vita later this year!

P.S. From Friday, March 7th to Sunday, March 9th, Pavilion will be playable at the Kyoto Indie Games Festival — BitSummit. If you happen to be in Japan at that time, come by and check out all the games, listen to some speakers, and just hang around with all the cool developers and gamers for a couple of days.

We hope to see you there!

+ AaronBEAST92 on February 28th, 2014 at 6:11 am said:

First!

+ RidleysBox on February 28th, 2014 at 6:13 am said:

@1 grow up

The game has a kind of “Black & White” god game feel to it, looks promising. I will have to give it a try.

+ iREVOLTER on February 28th, 2014 at 6:34 am said:

Hoooray! More indies ;). I hope it is a cross buy title, huh ?

+ akisuo on February 28th, 2014 at 7:29 am said:

Interesting. I look forward to trying this out on my vita when it’s out.

+ Adam-12 on February 28th, 2014 at 7:37 am said:

This looks like it relies heavily on having a touch screen. Vita seems like the perfect platform for this game.

How are you planning to handle this on PS4?

+ LokeSTL on February 28th, 2014 at 7:45 am said:

“throws you directly into its mysterious world without any text tutorials or beginning explanations. It is a puzzle game portrayed through exploration and audio-visual imagery. By interacting and observing you gradually, bit by bit, learn things about both the puzzling gameplay and the world itself.”

Oooooo, that reminds me of Myst. Color me interested.

+ xClayMeow on February 28th, 2014 at 8:08 am said:

Looks quite interesting.

My only concern is how the interaction and exploration work – is it like point-and-click adventures where you have to search your entire screen for that one clickable area? I don’t technically mind that, but I wonder if it’d be more difficult with the smaller screen of the Vita, which is where I’d play it since I have no intention on getting a PS4.

+ naDOOFUS on February 28th, 2014 at 8:45 am said:

Subtle

+ lisatsunami on February 28th, 2014 at 10:14 am said:

Great trailer, made me very interested.

+ GummyCore on February 28th, 2014 at 11:19 am said:

Oh so that’s what it is…. I never knew it was “fourth-person” when I played LocoRoco on PSP all those years ago.
/sacarsm

+ fromage2323 on February 28th, 2014 at 11:45 am said:

Looks interesting!

+ Sandman_Morpheus on February 28th, 2014 at 12:45 pm said:

It’s worth it for the visuals alone. Very interesting.

+ Skater_Ricky on February 28th, 2014 at 12:59 pm said:

@Adam-12 you do realize the DualShock 4 has a touchpad right?

Game looks interesting. Keep up the good work.

+ umutpasha83 on February 28th, 2014 at 2:21 pm said:

I’m gonna buy this game.

+ poodude on February 28th, 2014 at 2:23 pm said:

Ah yes, I think I remember seeing this during Sony’s TGS livestream (why did I stay up so late to watch it? lol). Looked quite interesting.

I’m curious about your use of the word “force.” Does this imply that the game will have a darker tone, as in we’ll have to force the character into dangerous places? Or do you mean it as the character will act stubborn and sometimes we need to give him a kick in the butt :P?

+ tusunami on February 28th, 2014 at 4:34 pm said:

And they say where are the original games at for the PS Vita. I see alot coming out for the platform. The year of the PS Vita for sure Doods!!!!!!

+ Alecj22 on March 1st, 2014 at 11:58 am said:

Conflict of interest? Now that is interesting. Im not sure i exactly understand what that means but being a phrase ive never heard used pertaining to actions in a video game puzzler, color me intrigued.

Now, “greater good” on the other hand, is a term i revile. It too often is used in place of a demand for you to trade whats in your self interest for what is in someone else’s self interest. Very few things are truly good for everyone, and most of those things are as realistic as unicorns.(Like world peace, for instance) Being that this is a game, i suppose its possible we are trending into the fantastic, so i will keep an open mind.

I dig the music for sure. Im looking forward to hearing the whole soundtrack.

+ DizaumBR on March 1st, 2014 at 2:13 pm said:

I loved it!

+ GameRevenge on March 1st, 2014 at 3:35 pm said:

Looks interesting one question

what the estimate length on how long the game will be?

+ plaztiksyke on March 1st, 2014 at 4:54 pm said:

yay for adventure games! looks like isometric 2dHD games are a bit of a thing on PS4 :)

are the art assets 1080p native, or will there be scaling artifacts? some of the 1080p 2D games don’t look that great because they’re scaling assets originally optimized for 720p (or even 480p).

will the audio be 24-bit/lossless?

+ aqeeliz on March 2nd, 2014 at 2:01 am said:

Looks pretty good, will definitely give it a go when it comes out!

+ ianvinoya on March 3rd, 2014 at 7:32 pm said:

Fourth Person Puzzler…. This has my attention now. :)

+ JumpMan33 on March 14th, 2014 at 11:42 pm said: