PS4 - Transistor

Sci-fi Adventure forma.8 Coming to PS4 and PS Vita

Mauro Fanelli's Avatar + Posted by Mauro Fanelli on Feb 28, 2014 // Cofounder, MixedBag

Hi PlayStation.Blog! Italian indie studio MixedBag here again. Last Tuesday, we announced our crazy shoot ‘em up Futuridium EP Deluxe, coming exclusively to PS Vita. Today, we’re here to bring you more PlayStation love.

Our big project – the one we opened MixedBag for – is a game we always wanted to make. We’re immensely proud (drumroll) to announce forma.8, coming to PS4 and PS Vita.

forma.8 is an action adventure game and our own personal take on the classic Metroidvania formula. We started working on forma.8 more than two years ago, beginning with a little gameplay concept centered on an experimental control system for touch devices. It evolved into an adventure of epic proportions.

In the distant future, a small exploration probe, forma.8, is stranded alone on the surface of an alien planet. It was parted from its companions by chance, and has a life or death mission to accomplish: it must find and recover a powerful energy source deep under the surface before it’s too late. Ancient civilizations, great perils, and dystopian visions await it, and not everything is as it seems.

forma.8 on PS4 and PS Vita

forma.8 on PS4 and PS Vitaforma.8 on PS4 and PS Vita

Floating gracefully in mid air, with a control system that aims to give players a true sense of flying, forma.8 starts with no powers, no weapons, and no hints of what to do and where to go; it’s up to the player to explore the planet, deal with its often hostile inhabitants, and slowly uncover the story. There’s no verbal communication in the game — everything is conveyed to the player with images, sounds, and the gameplay itself.

Physics is a big part of forma.8, too; everything in the world is physics based, with plants, ropes, liquids, enemies, rocks, and all the moving elements interacting and reacting in a realistic way, offering unexpected twists to the game.

As you can see for forma.8, we opted to use a peculiar visual style. We used hand-drawn vector graphics mixed with 3D elements, and we rendered everything at the highest resolution possible, with a massive amount of antialiasing to get a very clean and crisp look. The results? You don’t see pixels, only smooth lines, and the game looks gorgeous on the PS Vita screen as well as on a big TV rendered in 1080p. And it runs at 60 frames per second, obviously.

forma.8 on PS4 and PS Vita

The soundtrack and all the sound effects of forma.8 are in the skillful hands of Qubit, AKA Omar Ferrero, who is also working on some music tracks for Futuridium EP Deluxe. If you like the audio vibes from the trailer, he’s the one to thank.

So a little recap:

• an expansive world
  • everything is physics based
  • exploration
  • puzzles
  • secrets to uncover
  • an intriguing and mysterious story
  • lots of enemies
  • lots of BIG enemies
  • some even BIGGER enemies
  • …and all the power-ups you need to take care of them and to avoid all the nasty stuff you’ll face on a remote, alien planet
  • 60 frames per second of superfluid action

forma.8 on PS4 and PS Vitaforma.8 on PS4 and PS Vita

A big thank you from Mauro Fanelli and Andrea Gellato, the two co-founders and members of MixedBag. We’ll share more information about forma.8 and Futuridium EP Deluxe soon. As always, I’m here to reply to your questions, so don’t be shy!

For more updates, please follow MixedBag on Twitter and Facebook.

+ Gorvi on February 28th, 2014 at 7:08 am said:

That looks really cool, I’m looking forward to seeing more. :)

+ ECisMe on February 28th, 2014 at 7:10 am said:

Looks quite good, wish it was coming to PS3 as well.

+ zMd113 on February 28th, 2014 at 7:11 am said:

Sounds good I’m looking forward to it!

+ drd7of14 on February 28th, 2014 at 7:17 am said:

Reminds me somewhat of Kyntt Underground. That game was pretty cool. At least in look I mean.

+ Adam-12 on February 28th, 2014 at 7:25 am said:

YAY, more PS4 love!

I am really digging the art style. Looking forward to checking it out.

Are you planning a demo?

+ Mauro Fanelli on February 28th, 2014 at 7:34 am said:

Hi Adam,

We don’t know for now, the game is coming later this year. If it’s possible, we sure would love to release a demo! :)

+ David2Crazy on February 28th, 2014 at 7:29 am said:

Great art style, and a huge fan of Metroidvania-style gameplay. Keeping an eye on this for sure.

+ Mauro Fanelli on February 28th, 2014 at 7:34 am said:

Thanks everyone for the nice comments! For questions about the game, I’m here! :)

+ Futureshark on February 28th, 2014 at 7:42 am said:

Wow, between this and Futuridium, you guys are making some really cook looking games. Kudos to your art team!!

Looking forward to both of these

+ Mauro Fanelli on February 28th, 2014 at 7:52 am said:

Thanks!
    Our art team is… the other half of MixedBag, sitting right beside me. We are only two guys (and a musician). :)

+ Futureshark on February 28th, 2014 at 7:44 am said:

Is Futuridium still Vita only, or will it come to PS4 too?

Will forma.8 be crossbuy accross both platforms?

+ Mauro Fanelli on February 28th, 2014 at 7:53 am said:

Can’t answer about Futuridium. ;)

About cross-buy/cross-save: can’t confirm 100%, but yes is a good bet. ;)

+ Johnbot5k on February 28th, 2014 at 7:53 am said:

Has a very “Out Of This World/Another World” look. I always loved that art direction.

+ EJStrat on February 28th, 2014 at 7:59 am said:

Sounds like fun! Metroidvania games are my ship. You said it began with testing touch controls. So is the Dualshock 4 touchpad being utilized to significant effect? And are you supporting remote play?

+ KazeEternal on February 28th, 2014 at 8:02 am said:

I wish PS Blog would let me put a watch on particular games. I wnat to follow this, but don’t want to forget about it at the end of the year.

+ xClayMeow on February 28th, 2014 at 8:04 am said:

Looks sweet. A little bit of a Knytt Undergound vibe, but more colorful :)

+ toothdecaykills on February 28th, 2014 at 8:09 am said:

Sign me up day one! Any idea when this will be released?

+ Mauro Fanelli on February 28th, 2014 at 8:48 am said:

Late this year. Can’t share a precise timeframe for now. :)

+ stlthriot on February 28th, 2014 at 8:19 am said:

Reminds me of a PixelJunk game like Shooter :D

+ famikonBY on February 28th, 2014 at 8:39 am said:

I know that the game is still in development, but can I buy this soundtrack right now? :) Qubit is awesome. Game looks cool too.

+ Mauro Fanelli on February 28th, 2014 at 8:58 am said:

He’ll be extremely happy to hear that, and yes he’s incredibly talented! Check out our other announcement Futuridium EP Deluxe for PSVita, it features some tunes from him!

+ PanTheMan16 on February 28th, 2014 at 9:04 am said:

How is the title read? forma 8? forma point 8?

+ Mauro Fanelli on February 28th, 2014 at 9:05 am said:

That’s a good question! As italian we pronounce it ‘forma otto’, in english it’s… whatever you want!
    I think ‘forma eight’ is fine. :D

+ alexroedor on February 28th, 2014 at 9:19 am said:

Cellphone games for Vita more one time. Where’s the real games? Sorrowful the situation of the Vita =/

+ PanTheMan16 on February 28th, 2014 at 9:59 am said:

Thanks for the reply. This game looks really neat. The visuals remind me of PixelJunk: Shooter + Knytt Underground + Limbo, but obviously it will play like forma.8. :)

+ snakeeyes211 on February 28th, 2014 at 9:59 am said:

I wish I could give you my money right now or at least preorder it. are you planning on having trophies?can you push for a platinum

+ Mauro Fanelli on February 28th, 2014 at 2:26 pm said:

Thanks!

Yes, there’ll be trophies. ;)

+ TigerStealth on February 28th, 2014 at 10:31 am said:

Looks awesome, will definitely buy if cross buy as I’d love to play in 1080p on PS4 and also make use of the vita’s OLED for these really cool graphics / art style.

+ Mauro Fanelli on February 28th, 2014 at 2:27 pm said:

Thanks TigerStealth, I can assure you that the game looks gorgeous on the OLED.
    Awesome resolution + awesome colors. ;)

+ tdh004 on February 28th, 2014 at 10:33 am said:

At first I thought, “Looks like PixelJunk Shooter and Limbo had a baby” and then I saw you say Metroidvania. At which point I grabbed my credit card and threw it at the screen. “TAKE MY MONEY!”

WHEN? Please say #SOON!

+ Mauro Fanelli on February 28th, 2014 at 2:29 pm said:

A bit #LATER than Futuridium, our other game for PSVita. ;)

+ Robbie_G_lrish on February 28th, 2014 at 10:43 am said:

Oh wow, that video wasn’t really what I was expecting. It looks really cool. What surprised me about it was the slower pace. It seems like it’ll be more focused on being methodical and exploratory than say Gaucamelee (which is also awesome). The soundtrack looks to set the mood well too. The Vita is on fire.

+ Mando44646 on February 28th, 2014 at 10:54 am said:

certainly looks interesting and unique. Im always happy to support Indie devs who dont use the generic 2D pixelated side-scroller genre that seems all the rage these days

+ Mauro Fanelli on February 28th, 2014 at 2:32 pm said:

We love pixel graphics, but we wanted to try a totally different visual style.

The pro: with this technology, we can go on PSVita or on a 1080p TV preserving the exact same image quality. We didn’t wanted to have visible pixel, only smooth and clean lines for forma.8. :)

+ KwietStorm on February 28th, 2014 at 12:55 pm said:

Doesn’t remind me of Pixeljunk Shooter at all. Not even a little bit..

+ NinjaMicWZ on February 28th, 2014 at 1:43 pm said:

Looks awesome. Day 1 Vita for me.

+ Wozman23 on February 28th, 2014 at 1:44 pm said:

Looks beautiful. I’m sold.

+ MushThePainter on February 28th, 2014 at 1:46 pm said:

Will definitely pick this up for my Vita. Looks really cool. The trailer could have been a little more exciting but nonetheless, I’m intrigued.

+ Mauro Fanelli on February 28th, 2014 at 2:33 pm said:

…so we have more exciting thing to show later! ;)

I think the later game power ups are absolutely crazy, can’t wait to show them!

+ poodude on February 28th, 2014 at 2:16 pm said:

Very beautiful game. I’m a sucker for Sci-Fi, so I’ll definitely check this out (especially on Vita!) The gameplay reminds me of Pixeljunk Shooter and Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet – which isn’t a bad thing! Were those two games inspirations for you at all?

+ Mauro Fanelli on February 28th, 2014 at 2:30 pm said:

Visually PixelJunk Shooter, yes. With Another World, that was the main inspiration.
    Sounds weird but we never played Twisted Shadow Planet, but definitely want to.

+ NinjaMicWZ on February 28th, 2014 at 3:56 pm said:

Another World/Out of this World >

I definitely see it now.

+ tusunami on February 28th, 2014 at 4:30 pm said:

Now i must say this makes me very thrilled to have a PS Vita. I mean all the games that are coming out are just spectacular!!!!!!!!!!

+ DigiOps on February 28th, 2014 at 5:02 pm said:

This looks really interesting. Sci-Fi, a big world to explore, puzzles to solve, and no hand-holding? Count me in. Always happy to support indie devs too. I really enjoyed the style and music. Looks good so far. Can’t wait to see and hear more.

+ wilfareus on February 28th, 2014 at 5:52 pm said:

hope it launches with a PS+ discount, and DAY ONE :D
<3 my Vita

+ PrimeroIncognito on February 28th, 2014 at 11:12 pm said:

I like.

+ sfbsfb on March 1st, 2014 at 4:54 am said:

Looks very promising. Looking forward to this, and looking forward to Futuridium EP Deluxe as well

+ dkarlowicz10 on March 1st, 2014 at 12:56 pm said:

I look forward to this game. I will be getting the Vita version.

+ plaztiksyke on March 1st, 2014 at 4:52 pm said:

Looks like Limbo meets Pixeljunk Shooter. is there co-op play?

will the audio be lossless/24-bit on PS4 and max bitrate Ogg/AAC on Vita?

+ Mauro Fanelli on March 2nd, 2014 at 3:23 am said:

No co-op, single player only.

Yes, best quality audio possible on both platforms. :)

+ titoboy666 on March 3rd, 2014 at 5:44 am said:

That games looks gorgeous and a ton of fun! I’m feeling some Waking Mars versus PixelJunk Shooter vibes! Can’t wait to play it!

+ tonydamiani on March 3rd, 2014 at 6:12 am said:

Like other gamers here. This reminds me of PixelJunk Shooter. A game that I became addicted to it. This is a must 1st day buy! My 1st Indie PS4 Game! I

+ Jedi_Jeff on March 3rd, 2014 at 9:52 am said:

This looks very similar to Another World (also known as Out Of This World.)

+ MJtheMC on March 3rd, 2014 at 11:58 am said:

This look really great! Cannot wait to get it!