PS4 - Destiny

Cel Damage HD Coming to PS4, PS3, PS Vita This Spring

Daniel Posner's Avatar + Posted by Daniel Posner on Mar 03, 2014 // Co-founder, Finish Line Games

Cel Damage HD

Hi PlayStation.Blog readers! I’m Daniel Posner, reaching out to you from Toronto, Canada. My long-time friend, Rich Hilmer, and I recently co-founded a brand new indie game studio called Finish Line Games. Along with guru programmer friend Matt Robinson, Rich and I have been working on a passion project over the past few years, and we’re super excited to announce the fruits of our labor: Cel Damage HD, a high definition re-release of the original, vehicular combat game that debuted back in 2001.

It’s cold in Toronto at the moment, but spring is right around the corner. We’ll be celebrating the end of the cold with the explosive launch of Cel Damage HD on PlayStation Store as a cross-buy purchase for PS4, PS3, and PS Vita. That’s right, buy it for one system and you can play it on all three!

Some of you might remember this timeless classic, but let me refresh you on everything Cel Damage HD has to offer. Part Demolition Derby, part Whacked-Out Cartoon Come to Life, Cel Damage HD allows you to play as up to 10 crazy characters/vehicles with more than 30 over-the-top weapons. Play in either Smack Attack (deathmatch), Flag Rally (capture-the-flag) or Gate Relay (race), across 13 fully-interactive cartoon environments.

Cel Damage HDCel Damage HD

In addition to being a cross-buy product, Cel Damage HD supports cross save so you can pick up where you left off on any system. Play on PS Vita to master Cel Damage HD’s chaotic gameplay on the go, then go destroy your friends in 2, 3, or 4-player split-screen multiplayer on PS4 or PS3. Cel Damage HD truly shines in split-screen play. Like an instant party, this game brings back the shout-out-loud, couch chaos gaming experiences of a cherished era — now in full high-def goodness!

I want to give a big shout-out to the original Cel Damage team and say thanks for such an awesome time and so many fantastic memories. This re-release is dedicated to all of you.

To find out about all the latest game happenings, please follow us on Facebook and Twitter. And of course, check back here — we’ll have more to share next month!

36 Comments

+ JeRzYzFyNeSt on March 3rd, 2014 at 9:03 am said:

looks like it can be fun. does it have online?

+ GodsGameFreak on March 3rd, 2014 at 9:11 am said:

Holy crap, this was one of my favourite GameCube games. Where did this even come from? I am so buying this.

+ wesj36 on March 3rd, 2014 at 9:16 am said:

I’m always down for some car combat games. Speaking of car combat games we NEED a Twisted Metal on PS4

+ TXCScorpion on March 3rd, 2014 at 9:19 am said:

Super sad to see no online play (or a lack of mention if that’s the case). Having no friends around to play I’ll have to pass without online though I highly enjoyed playing it with friends back when. That being said, crossbuysave is definitely cool to throw in a package like this.

+ Junguler on March 3rd, 2014 at 9:22 am said:

i love cell shade graphics when done right, this game looks promising.

+ Cat_Corye on March 3rd, 2014 at 9:26 am said:

Looks like Wacky Racers, its a very old show that got a game.

+ Interstellagator on March 3rd, 2014 at 9:29 am said:

I hope it’s a Plus title! Looks great :D

+ liammill18 on March 3rd, 2014 at 9:50 am said:

Gosh, I remember playing this when it released on Xbox, had a lot of fun with friends. Definitely really excited for this.

+ Ryumoau on March 3rd, 2014 at 9:57 am said:

i love the art style. :)

+ UndreyVITA on March 3rd, 2014 at 10:10 am said:

Awesome, the more the split screen games the better :D

+ pearl_bunny on March 3rd, 2014 at 10:34 am said:

no online multiplayer = no buy

+ Mando44646 on March 3rd, 2014 at 10:40 am said:

this looks like a lot of fun. Buying for PS4/Vita :)

+ Zonnex on March 3rd, 2014 at 12:10 pm said:

Awesome. Played it on the Cube which I believe was in 2002. I’ll definitely will buy it for both nostalgia and support.

If the HD version sells well, will the sequel finally be made? Since I recalled it was cancelled long ago.

+ AndyGuerreroJr on March 3rd, 2014 at 12:50 pm said:

It would be awesome if you guys add online multiplayer! I love this game!

+ Stratos671 on March 3rd, 2014 at 1:34 pm said:

I had so much fun with this game on XBOX original. I can’t wait to pick this one up! My favorite character is Violet! I CAN’T WAIT!

+ Roaming_Ryu on March 3rd, 2014 at 1:35 pm said:

This game looks like fun. I’m going to look into it!

And I’m from Toronto too! Having a hard time typing this with my frozen fingers…

+ Sonicfan11589 on March 3rd, 2014 at 2:49 pm said:

I just quickly checked out a video on youtube, looks like fun, reminds me of Vigilante 8 but a more cartoon-ish version.

+ death_nation100 on March 3rd, 2014 at 3:26 pm said:

I thought this game was for crapbox only i remember playing this in december of 2001

+ border27 on March 3rd, 2014 at 3:29 pm said:

I loved this game!!! I can’t wait!!

+ HeroicHandle on March 3rd, 2014 at 3:54 pm said:

I had a friend who played this on his Gamecube back in the day, and I’ve wanted it ever since. I saw they had a PS2 version but I think it was EU only. So this is pretty surprising and awesome, I’ll definitely get it (as long as the price is fair).

+ Gamer_USA- on March 3rd, 2014 at 5:38 pm said:

Played the original and loved it. A rare day one purchase for me.

+ poodude on March 3rd, 2014 at 6:10 pm said:

Never played the original, unfortunately – but those screens made me wish I had! Also, yay for more Canadian indies!

+ Hayterfan on March 3rd, 2014 at 6:37 pm said:

Im kinda surprised anyone remembered this game, hell im kinda surprised I remember it

+ tusunami on March 3rd, 2014 at 9:02 pm said:

I didn’t know this game had like a huge following for it. Hopefully there will be a demo for this.

+ CaptainAHav on March 3rd, 2014 at 10:01 pm said:

Thought I was the only one who liked this game. Please tell me there is online play.

Daniel Posner's Avatar

+ Daniel Posner on March 3rd, 2014 at 10:32 pm said:

Thank you all for the great comments and excitement! We are gearing up to attend the Game Developer Conference this month. Stay tuned for more info in the coming weeks…until then keep dreaming about your favorite weapon. Giant Hammer, anyone ;)

+ GranpireV on March 3rd, 2014 at 10:54 pm said:

Finish Line games, huh.

If there’s a Finish studio that makes games about lines, you just stole a perfect name for their studio. :P

+ iREVOLTER on March 3rd, 2014 at 11:39 pm said:

Such a random title from launch Xbox collection to be re-released… Even though it was released later on GC and PS2, never tried it. Maybe I’ll give it a shot.

+ MEGAMETOR on March 4th, 2014 at 6:52 am said:

Buying this!!! need another car combat game these days, wish vigilante 8 would come over to ps3/4. I never knew about this game. Glad i come to the blog regularly. Four player Split screen! hell yes…

+ VinsanityV21 on March 4th, 2014 at 1:29 pm said:

I remember this from the Xbox1 (not XBone… God, I hate Microsoft’s dumb, pretentious name for that thing) launch, and played it later on the Gamecube. This was pretty fun! And nowadays, I could certainly use a new car combat game. I’ll keep an eye on this for sure!

Btw, Finish Line… this was made by Pseudo Interactive back in the day, right? Does this mean that Finish Line is the new studio for those guys? Because man, I would not be against seeing a new game like Full Auto 2 :) Or even a physics-based action/shooter like that Vectorman PS2 game those (you?) guys were working on briefly

+ Ameterasuu on March 4th, 2014 at 9:53 pm said:

It gives me so much cancer that alot of you have never played this game…

+ adolson on March 5th, 2014 at 11:55 pm said:

WHOA. This was completely unexpected!

I was actually at the launch party at the Playdium way back in the day. I was sad when PI closed up.

+ Reciter5613 on March 7th, 2014 at 7:54 am said:

This game needs to be back. It was one of the only best Twisted metal style games ever. Of course I’m scared if your not having online multiplayer cause this game is begging for it. If not at least work on having it in the future.

+ TWODEEEE on March 8th, 2014 at 9:04 pm said:

i used to go to my friends house every day to play with this my other friends, i used to skip school sometimes too lol, but the fact that this doesnt have online means ill never play it with them and i wont have that same enjoyment, so because of that i wont be buying

+ Jack_web99 on March 27th, 2014 at 1:06 am said:

This was my favourite game on the gamecube! Can’t wait for the ps4 release!

+ Doofusmaximus on March 28th, 2014 at 4:47 am said:

ENCHILADA!

and that’s why they pay me the big bucks….