PS4-The Order

Teslagrad on PS3 and PS Vita: The Secrets of Magnetism

Eduardo Garabito's Avatar + Posted by Eduardo Garabito on Mar 12, 2014 // Rain Games

Teslagrad

Hi! We’ve wanted to write this piece for a long time. It’s been great to announce Teslagrad for PS3 and PS Vita coming this year, and it’s also wonderful to have this opportunity to present our game in detail on PlayStation.Blog.

Let’s suppose that the question here is simply “Hey, what’s Teslagrad about?” We’ve had to answer that question many, many times, and we have our response down to a science:

Teslagrad is a puzzle platformer with action elements, where magnetism and other electromagnetic powers are the key to go throughout the game, and thereby discover the secrets kept in the long abandoned Tesla Tower.

Teslagrad

That’s quite the statement. How did you like it? It’s like a mantra. We just can’t recall how many times we’ve said and/or written that. And that’s why we’re looking forward to this post. Now we can go into more detail.

Teslagrad

So, Teslagrad is…

Magnetism: Magnets, we know how they work! Electromagnetic forces are the lifeblood of the game, either acting as a magnetic elevator or as part of teslamancer weaponry (just to pick a couple of the many examples). Magnetic interaction allows you to not only play around as much as you want, but it’s also the main ingredient of almost every puzzle in the game. Attractive.

Puzzles: Teslagrad contains a lot of different puzzles, with magnetism as leitmotif. Early in the game you’ll get a gauntlet that allows you to change the polarity of some elements of the environment.

Players will ascertain that opposite poles attract, whereas the same poles repel — a really simple premise, right? But things get tricky with an increasing number of magnets and awesome new items. Prepare for brainy puzzles!

Teslagrad

Platforming: Puzzle solving is a key part of Teslagrad’s core design, but we’ve pursued an electrifying platformer experience, too. Teslagrad follows a Metroidvania-like, non linear exploration structure, drawing strong inspiration from classic platformers.

Of course, new items and abilities are important in unlocking new areas. That said, Teslamancer dexterity counts!

Teslagrad

Action: Well, that giant steampunk-ish orb falling apart in pieces while trying to demagnetize you is self explanatory, isn’t it? A boss is one element often seen in classic video games. There’s many of theses bosses, and they’ll make you put your knowledge into action.

Secrets: You’re the last of the teslamancers, and there’s more than a hidden truth deep inside of Tesla Tower. The many layers of Teslagrad’s story are told through voiceless scenes, for a purely visual narrative experience.

There’s not a single word in the game (no text, nor dialogue). But there’s an epic story waiting to be discovered in everything that you see, and of course in what you don’t see.

Art: Some of the first elements of Teslagrad that jump out at players first are the hand-drawn, lovingly animated characters with an aesthetic reminiscent of classic cartoons.

Disney-like, many say, although Ole (one of our artists) prefers to highlight the influence of Winsor McKay or Franco-Belgian cartoons like Tintin and Spirou. As if this artistic design wasn’t enough, Teslagrad also features a haunting soundtrack by Jørn Lavoll and Linn Kathrin Taklo.

Teslagrad

And of course, Teslagrad is much more than that! We’ve put our heart and soul into every corner of Tesla Tower, and we’re really looking forward to all of you exploring Teslagrad for the very first time, either on PS3 or PS Vita.

Hope to tell you more about Teslagrad soon! Thanks for reading, and of course we’ll be delighted to hear from you. Anything else you’d like to know, just drop us a line in the comments or on Twitter.

PAGE 1 2

+ Gorvi on March 12th, 2014 at 9:04 am said:

Another great looking platformer, I had this on my Steam wishlist but hey, I’d far rather play it on the Vita. I’m looking forward to hearing more. :)

Eduardo Garabito's Avatar

+ Eduardo Garabito on March 12th, 2014 at 11:03 am said:

Great to hear that! We’re also looking forward to show you more :).

+ Hefestus91 on March 12th, 2014 at 9:05 am said:

Brink? Dishonored?

+ elienamikaze on March 12th, 2014 at 9:06 am said:

For the love of GOD where’s the store UpDate ?

+ TYruler50 on March 12th, 2014 at 9:11 am said:

This is great and all but I think everyone is more concerned with the playstation store

+ ChazzyChazX on March 12th, 2014 at 9:11 am said:

When is this coming out ?

Eduardo Garabito's Avatar

+ Eduardo Garabito on March 12th, 2014 at 11:04 am said:

The PlayStation 3 version will be available this spring, and PS Vita will be ready this summer!

+ akisuo on March 12th, 2014 at 9:18 am said:

Looks slick. Love the style for this and I look forward to trying this out on my vita. =)

+ PainOfSarrow on March 12th, 2014 at 9:20 am said:

luv platformers. this looks kool. hope the length is long. ppl always say its about quality not quantity. well im all about quality AND quantity. also i wonder the price. any info ?

Eduardo Garabito's Avatar

+ Eduardo Garabito on March 12th, 2014 at 11:04 am said:

Normally it took for other players 5 to 8 hours to beat the game. And don’t worry about the price, it will be quite affordable.

+ KazeEternal on March 12th, 2014 at 9:20 am said:

Yes. When is the Store Update?!

+ stlthriot on March 12th, 2014 at 9:23 am said:

Wow, I absolutely love the art style! Looks beautiful, can’t wait for this!

+ SarshelYam on March 12th, 2014 at 9:40 am said:

Wow Eduardo…I’m sad to say I haven’t heard of this until now, and I don’t know why. The art is absolutely stunning. The premise sounds amazing as well. Day one? Yeah, you bet!

Eduardo Garabito's Avatar

+ Eduardo Garabito on March 12th, 2014 at 11:05 am said:

Fantastic! There’s more and more great indie games out there, so I understand it’s impossible to heard about all of us. But hey, here we are!

+ bajor27 on March 12th, 2014 at 9:52 am said:

Despite these horrendous gifs, I think this game looks great. I’ll definitely pick it up!

You know, I was thinking today. what are the chances I’ll ever stop using my PS3? Seriously! SSo many great games still coming and in my backlog

+ Zepherj on March 12th, 2014 at 9:52 am said:

I love all these little puzzle and platforming games coming to Sony platforms. This game looks like a lot of fun, and between this, Fez, Steam World Dig and Final Fantasy x/x-2 HD collection, I have so much to play on the go I don’t have enough time to play. Such a good problem to have.

+ cmdluke on March 12th, 2014 at 10:01 am said:

this is the first I’ve heard of Teslagrad. It looks fantastic. Can’t wait to play it on my vita!

+ BigStack007 on March 12th, 2014 at 10:17 am said:

PSN is down right now in my area. Anyone else not able to sign into PSN?

+ PrimeroIncognito on March 12th, 2014 at 10:18 am said:

I love platformers and puzzles. This looks like it’s going to be a lot of fun. Thanks!

+ PrimeroIncognito on March 12th, 2014 at 10:19 am said:

@ BigStack007

Mine’s fine. I can see my friends online playing games, too. Where do you live?

+ BigStack007 on March 12th, 2014 at 10:20 am said:

I’m in Denver.

+ elienamikaze on March 12th, 2014 at 10:24 am said:

Some people have the same issue in Europe too .

+ PrimeroIncognito on March 12th, 2014 at 10:24 am said:

Hmm…. I have a friend on my PSN list who’s also from Denver, but he’s not online right now. Don’t know if it’s because of the network being down or if he’s just away from the console. Sorry I can’t help.

+ lemmingwarrior on March 12th, 2014 at 10:28 am said:

im in california can can’t get on

+ lemmingwarrior on March 12th, 2014 at 10:29 am said:

just wish i had t reason to take the ps4 out of it’s box, but kd3 is coming soon

+ dangarriga on March 12th, 2014 at 10:32 am said:

seems to be down in Illinois as well

+ PrimeroIncognito on March 12th, 2014 at 10:33 am said:

I’m in California too (Inland Empire), but it’s working for me. Where in Cali are you?

+ BigStack007 on March 12th, 2014 at 10:37 am said:

Update: Logged in to psn after resetting cable modem?

+ MarinoBrea on March 12th, 2014 at 10:37 am said:

Looks good for a $6 game.

+ Michzadood on March 12th, 2014 at 10:42 am said:

Metroidvania style!!!!! cant wait to play this!!

+ zariak on March 12th, 2014 at 10:43 am said:

Is there anyway you guys at Sony could update the store earlier in the day?

+ lisatsunami on March 12th, 2014 at 10:43 am said:

I just logged on to both my PS3 and PS4 with no problems. I live in SoCal. People are streaming on Ustream and Twitch.

+ zekececil14 on March 12th, 2014 at 10:50 am said:

Wow this game looks great. I might just have to pick it up!!

+ luvtoseek on March 12th, 2014 at 10:52 am said:

Helplessly drawn to platformers but lack the skill to complete complex jumping obstacles & resolve patterny enemy encounters. Please Eduardo, slip a God Mode in there ok? (;

No login issues in NY. Have ye tried the ‘swift kick to the router’ tactic? I’m sure it’s temporary, like this mass delay update! :D

Eduardo Garabito's Avatar

+ Eduardo Garabito on March 12th, 2014 at 11:11 am said:

Any feedback is appreciated, thanks!

+ SweatySasquatch on March 12th, 2014 at 11:06 am said:

NEWS: The 3/11/14 update is coming to PS3, PS4 and PS Vita later this year!

+ thrillwell on March 12th, 2014 at 11:20 am said:

lol@31

+ caiomenudo13 on March 12th, 2014 at 11:27 am said:

Is it cross buy? Either way, I can’t wait to play it on Day One!

Eduardo Garabito's Avatar

+ Eduardo Garabito on March 12th, 2014 at 11:51 am said:

We still need to discuss that topic, but we’ll keep this in mind :).

+ luvtoseek on March 12th, 2014 at 11:28 am said:

Mhuhahaha, I will be responsible for the God Mode initiative! Yessss Eduardo my right hand, code it into Teslagrad!! @-@

+ thrillwell on March 12th, 2014 at 11:29 am said:

This game looks brilliant. I’m gonna grab it. I’m also worried about the length of the game. So the question is…
replayability? trophy set inspire us to do multiple runs?

When I saw it wasn’t a PS4 game I was actually shocked because the quality looks so good to me thought for sure is was next gen.

Great work imo

Eduardo Garabito's Avatar

+ Eduardo Garabito on March 12th, 2014 at 11:59 am said:

As said, 5 to 8 hours to complete the story, and a little more if you want to all the secret scrolls in the game :) (telling more of the story). As for replayability, it’s a game designed to be played once, but additional runs allows you to better understand the story and world of the game. And well, you need to grab every secret on the game to reach the good ending…

+ EGGS_ONE on March 12th, 2014 at 11:37 am said:

Looks awesome!

+ BlindMango on March 12th, 2014 at 11:53 am said:

Fantastic layout on this article! =D

+ pokeystaples on March 12th, 2014 at 11:57 am said:

No update on when the store will be updated? I would love to buy Towerfall and see it on the store, but I am a Plus member and would like to use my discount.

I will definitely pick this up. Need more platforming in my life.

+ PainOfSarrow on March 12th, 2014 at 11:59 am said:

sounds good, thanks.

+ GoldenShaka on March 12th, 2014 at 12:01 pm said:

Looks really cool, I hope that you add some Time or survival challenges to increase the replay value of the game, i don’t like to repeat campaign chapters over and over again just for leaderboards.

+ darknight_2012 on March 12th, 2014 at 12:10 pm said:

there better be some really juicy sales this week, or I’m going to ‘DROP’ it on all of you like its HOT!

(smacks screen)

+ Elvick_ on March 12th, 2014 at 12:17 pm said:

Will play on PS Vita.

+ Welmosca on March 12th, 2014 at 12:57 pm said:

Damn this looks fantastic…really good artwork….I’m really looking forward to this game…will be getting it on PS3 but will definitely play on Vita too.This is just my type of game.Thanks for the information.

+ KingSora08 on March 12th, 2014 at 1:46 pm said:

Where is the playstation store update?

+ AizawaYuuichi on March 12th, 2014 at 1:53 pm said:

Saw a short video about this on IGN and was like, “WTF did I just see?!”
After reading this article, I’m going to have to watch it again, as you’ve explained the mechanics really well, and now I’m looking forward to it.
As I’m trying to move away from my PS3 as much as possible, I’ll definitely be picking this up on the Vita.
So Eduardo! Don’t be too upset if the PS3 sales aren’t amazing! Wait until you release the Vita version to fully gauge the success of this title. Please and thank you. :)

+ TimeSkipLuffyUS on March 12th, 2014 at 2:13 pm said:

If you would just do the same as PS+ EU it wouldn’t be that bad with the store update! Just give us all the rental games right at the beginning of the month instead 1-2 each week…

+ Hessaducci on March 12th, 2014 at 2:30 pm said:

Who cares… Where the heck is the PSN update?!?

+ DarkStar83x on March 12th, 2014 at 2:37 pm said:

Looks pretty cool!

+ NextLevelAI on March 12th, 2014 at 3:21 pm said:

The PS.Blog crew is too busy playing Titanfall of their Xbox Ones to put up the update this week, lmao!

+ rockjoze on March 12th, 2014 at 3:41 pm said:

This Gonna be perfect on Vita!!!

PAGE 1 2