Mar 17

Screen Shot 2014-03-17 at 1.06.28 PM

Aztez Is Going To Blow Up Your PS4 and Vita

Ben Ruiz's Avatar Posted by Ben Ruiz on Mar 17, 2014 // Combat Designer, Team Colorblind

Hi! I’m Ben Ruiz, the artist and combat designer at Team Colorblind in Arizona. I’m super excited to announced that Aztez, the brutal, bloody, expressive, difficult, and replayable action game I’ve been working on for two years now is coming to Sony’s magnificent, next-gen beast machines. For your own information, Team Colorblind is myself and also Matthew Wegner.

“Brutal, bloody, expressive, difficult, and replayable?!” is probably what you’re thinking as your eyes widen in the dim glow of my audacity. But I sincerely believe that we are cooking up something you will like! At its core, Aztez is two games. One of those games is a full on real-time beat ‘em up combat experience. We’ve piped in the feel and creativity of Bayonetta, the sensationalism and mobility of Capcom’s Alien Vs Predator, and the precision difficulty of classic Devil May Cry. As the combat designer, I’ve been studying these types of games for years, and I refuse to produce and hand you something that won’t dangerously raise your heart rate and dopamine levels. I grew up in the arcade, and I want to do for you what the amazing developers of yore did for me with their coin-ops.

The other game that comprises Aztez is an empire management strategy game, and that’s where the aforementioned replayability comes from. We decided early on that we didn’t want to make another beat ‘em up that forces you through a linear narrative and rote platforming segments, so we’ve created what we feel is an infinitely more interesting vehicle for thrilling combat; a randomized, historical Risk-like. Haha! It might be an overly unusual combination, but the way we see it, it can’t be any worse than grabbing more ledges or pushing around more blocks. And besides, if you do well in our strategy game, you might get to do some pretty profound history rewriting.

But, ultimately, Aztez is about the combat, and we want to make our mark on this generation of Sony consoles with our own signature brand of digital power fantasy, and we want you to be able to do it in your home or on the move. Nothing makes the bus/taxi ride to work better than cutting down a hundred legendary warriors and offering their blood to the gods in real time.

That’s it for now! Tell me what you think about all this and I’ll answer back in the least ridiculous way I know how. Which is still sort of ridiculous. I MEAN WELL.

PAGE 1 2

+ PainOfSarrow on March 17th, 2014 at 12:59 pm said:

ohhh looks gangstaa, bring it to ps3.

Ben Ruiz's Avatar

+ Ben Ruiz on March 17th, 2014 at 3:20 pm said:

We would love to bring it to both the previous generation AND this generation of consoles, but we had to pick one due to our own time and money limitations. And it made a lot more sense to the future of the game to launch on the next gen. I’m sorry! Hopefully you’ll be able to get your hands on a PS4 or Vita before we’re out.

+ Mintblend_44321 on March 17th, 2014 at 1:31 pm said:

This game has some serious class!! Cant wait to play it on the Vita.

Ben Ruiz's Avatar

+ Ben Ruiz on March 17th, 2014 at 3:43 pm said:

YOU have some serious class! Thanks for the compliments.

+ nYcFrEeWiLL82 on March 17th, 2014 at 1:47 pm said:

This game looks good but it would look alot better if it had color and better graphics. Is it just me or am i the only one who thinks these devs are slacking with the game designs. Ive played better 2D games on nintendo (Battle Toads for example). I really wish these devs would put more effort in making a FANTASTIC LOOKING AND PLAYING GAME than just a quicky qirky game for the NEW GEN SYSTEMS. I would like to see some news about a NEW SHANK and JOE DANGER coming up for the PS4 and VITA!! We seriously need it – but ofcourse you know im speaking for myself lol

Ben Ruiz's Avatar

+ Ben Ruiz on March 17th, 2014 at 3:29 pm said:

I agree that it would be awesome if the game had color and “better graphics”, but we’re a two man team and I do 95% of the game’s art and combat work myself; character concepts, environment construction and design, character animation, effects, combat mechanics, and more. And I have an angel of a guy helping me with character models. We don’t have the time and budget of a big team. If we did anything more complicated and production-intensive, it would have made the game completely unrealistic to produce without hiring a bunch of people, which has never been an option.

And just FYI, Matthew and I been working on this game for 2+ years full-time, and I was working on it by myself for 2 years before that in the evenings just teaching myself about combat design. We do all of the development, business, marketing, and trade shows ourselves. So, you know, heads up on telling people when you think they’re “slacking”.

*cue disarming winky-faced emoticon*

+ LokeSTL on March 17th, 2014 at 1:57 pm said:

More for the PS4!! This game looks interesting and original. Will check it out. :)

Ben Ruiz's Avatar

+ Ben Ruiz on March 17th, 2014 at 3:43 pm said:

Yeah! Thanks!

+ Rezznak on March 17th, 2014 at 2:13 pm said:

very cool setting. Not many games set in that time period. A lot of the same weapons as well. Awesome work you guys, And an Arizona team! yeah!

Ben Ruiz's Avatar

+ Ben Ruiz on March 17th, 2014 at 3:31 pm said:

ARIZONA 4 LYFE! Thanks for the kind words. :)

+ alexroedor on March 17th, 2014 at 3:35 pm said:

Ben Ruiz's Avatar

+ Ben Ruiz on March 17th, 2014 at 3:45 pm said:

I THINK you’re saying Aztez looks like a cellphone game? I don’t know if we’re remembering cellphone games the same way. Haha!

+ NightHawk17 on March 17th, 2014 at 3:44 pm said:

Looks great, I can’t wait to hear more about the empire management.

Ben Ruiz's Avatar

+ Ben Ruiz on March 17th, 2014 at 3:45 pm said:

We’ll be talking about that hotness real soon! :)

PAGE 1 2