Far Cry 4

Introducing Project Morpheus

Shu Yoshida's Avatar + Posted by Shu Yoshida on Mar 18, 2014 // President, SCE Worldwide Studios

Greetings from GDC 2014! Earlier this evening, I had the pleasure to introduce Project Morpheus, SCE’s prototype virtual reality (VR) system that works with PS4. Virtual reality is the next innovation from SCE that we believe will shape the future of games.

Project Morpheus - PS4

I have long dreamed about VR and the possibilities it brings in regards to game development. This new technology will deliver a sense of presence, where you as the player actually feel like you’re inside the game and your emotions feel that much more real.

Our current prototype for Project Morpheus features a head mounted display with 1080p resolution and a 90 degree field of view. Accelerometer and gyroscope sensors built into the head mounted unit as well as PlayStation Camera accurately tracks head orientation and movement, so as your head rotates, the image of the virtual world rotates intuitively in real-time. Project Morpheus also features our new 3D audio technology that re-creates stereoscopic sounds in all directions and changes in real-time depending on your head orientation. In addition to PlayStation Camera, Project Morpheus works with DUALSHOCK 4 Wireless Controller and PlayStation Move to deliver an easy-to-use, plug-and-play VR experience.

The prototype for Project Morpheus is the culmination of our work over the last 3+ years as we’ve refined our vision for VR. This prototype will serve as the first development kit for PS4 developers that are as enthusiastic about this new medium as we are.

At GDC 2014 this week, attendees will be able to check out Project Morpheus in action at the SCEA booth through a handful of technology demos.

PAGE 1 8 9 10 11

+ Coreal_stoppage on April 2nd, 2014 at 10:24 am said:

Not going to lie this seems pretty exciting! XD

+ ProtoOmega1980 on April 2nd, 2014 at 12:23 pm said:

Sounds awesome but I’m sure first models to be sold for at least a couple years will be very expensive
200-500 range

+ MarcuzGUNgezE10 on April 2nd, 2014 at 2:53 pm said:

Really excited to try this out. I remember them saying that experiences should be built from the ground up for Morpheus.

So… it would be so cool to get a brand new LAIR. Yes I said it. I will agree that the game lacked in some areas, but then again I do not remember many games that let you play as a dragon as well. It does not necessarily have to be ‘Lair’, but just wanted to mention a franchise that could have a new lease on life because of VR. A VR game being build from a first person perspective of the Dragon, or better yet a rider on the Dragon would be sweet. Flight sims will probably be pretty popular with VR, but a Dragon flight sim as the rider would set the stage for one crazy exclusive. High fantasy story-line, scenic views over country land and castles, and maybe a bonus to have sword combat for variation. A bonus it would have would be straight simplicity over an airplane cock-pit. You can not really simulate all the switches and buttons. As a rider on a Dragon, well now you are getting into some awesome territory. Nail dragon-riding, have awesome fantasy story and have air and land combat. System/ VR headset seller. Thanks for reading.

+ jenkinsja1 on April 2nd, 2014 at 3:21 pm said:

OMG! cant wait

+ EatingABagel on April 2nd, 2014 at 9:17 pm said:

Can’t wait! This looks awesome!

+ kratos99050 on April 2nd, 2014 at 11:08 pm said:

I remember VR in the 80s. I went to the local mall and they would let you play VR for 5.00. I thought that was awesome back then but it really never took off. I have been waiting all this time for someone to really create a VR experience. Congratulations Sony on bringing this out. I will be purchasing one on day one release. I hope us gamers will finally have a taste of true VR. This is way over due.

+ ranger_kaiser on April 3rd, 2014 at 5:00 am said:

I have been dreaming of VR since i first started gaming. This is definitely a start to TRUE VR. What i mean by that is a TRUE VR should have more immersion than current tech can offer. Influencing real life nerves for example making you “feel” like your touching something in the game. Cant wait to see the completed project.

+ bobtorti on April 3rd, 2014 at 2:06 pm said:

This looks amazing. Future games won’t require this, will they? I hope not. As cool as it looks I hope that games will only be compatible with it.

+ RosalinexMusic on April 3rd, 2014 at 3:30 pm said:

This is pretty sweet. Can’t wait till you guys set a price and final product. you already have my money.

+ Nexis79 on April 3rd, 2014 at 7:53 pm said:

I work for one of the the competitors against Playstation. I ended up buying a PS4 due to seeing so many issues with our consoles from day 1. This makes me so much more excited and happy that I got a PS4 and actually makes me worry about job security for when this is released. Thank you Playstation for staying ahead. This for me is something I have been dreaming about since I was a kid over 20 years. Finally the idea of full immersive gaming is going to be possible. You have made a grown up with a child’s heart very very happy. Only wish I was working for you instead of the competitor. <3

+ Thizz-Nigg on April 3rd, 2014 at 9:19 pm said:

Honestly i think that there should be a better understanding that these goggles, glasses, are gonna put you into a world you can controll and react with without just looking at a screen and knowing its just a screen, you can see how its hard not to expiriense something new when your right there in the middle of racing a car and your doing it. On a screen its something that can seem real but this makes it all FEEL real. Thats the experience.Feeling the music, feeling the car pull sideways when your going strait, feeling the dream of being somewhere in the past and living it, feeling like your actual imagination can exist and your feelings and expretion of these things are able to be understood through this. All WE have to do is start sharing these expirienses in a way that they can be recreated, instead of sayin oh well these guys have a better product, say well maybe sony could make friends and help that company be a part of what it started,oculus morfius in my opinion is the best idea in my opinion!

+ Thizz-Nigg on April 3rd, 2014 at 9:22 pm said:

I hope u read that

+ lievger03 on April 4th, 2014 at 12:32 pm said:

I NEED IT !!! LO xD

+ playerTDOG on April 4th, 2014 at 1:00 pm said:

Have you guys thought about adding a built in mic? Or would we need to use another headset? And if thats the case, how would a headset feel on top this this?

+ daddioct on April 4th, 2014 at 1:18 pm said:

Will you be able to watch 3D movies on this?

+ MoonDragon99 on April 4th, 2014 at 2:41 pm said:

Oh my.. this looks awesome :D
playing Outlast with this… oh jeez.

+ KAPIKO77 on April 4th, 2014 at 3:22 pm said:

Hope it won’t cost more than PS4 system !

+ SLAYERCHAIN on April 4th, 2014 at 5:56 pm said:

It will have to be Less than $150.00 about $129.99 or its dead in the water . Learn from Sega’s add on mistakes . It will have to have a large enough user base for people to invest into developing games for it or even include code for its use in a regular game .I’m up for buying one as long as it has support.

+ thedarknjght123 on April 4th, 2014 at 6:49 pm said:

Awsome

+ Neomatrix2050 on April 4th, 2014 at 10:41 pm said:

system developer kit is around 700 dollars but I think im going to try and order one

+ wzh1217 on April 5th, 2014 at 12:51 pm said:

is it coming in this year?

+ basketballboy13 on April 5th, 2014 at 3:00 pm said:

i cant wait for this! I don’t know how long it will take but i’m wiling to wait. I have been waiting for this for years. Thank you sony! If only we could get name changes now.. -cough-

+ BlueDragonfly69 on April 5th, 2014 at 3:52 pm said:

I’m just wondering, but will having so close to your eyes cause any problems?

+ ltwoods on April 5th, 2014 at 4:41 pm said:

Seems promising, however, I would not want to wear these if the power randomly goes out due to a storm, emp, etc etc

+ DesperateActor on April 5th, 2014 at 7:00 pm said:

Will this product work outside of Sony products? For example could we use it on our PC for games like Half Life 2 or Team Fortress 2?

+ firefoxt2k on April 5th, 2014 at 7:47 pm said:

I would be differently buying one because of the possibility that this allows for games but one question

I am the type of gamer that likes to have friends over and play games on one systom but it seems like the world of gaming is going away from that. I was wondering would there be some what of a “split screen multi-player” for the people whom would have 2 headsets for instance the duel in sports champions. could it implement one person seeing one screen and the second person seeing the other and on the tv screen for spectators to watch both of the screens split on to one?

+ blind_fire12578 on April 6th, 2014 at 2:53 am said:

After watching this I can say I am very excited. One thing I am curious about is how will you be dealing with monocular depth-perception or even just monocular vision. Would that all vary from developer to developer?

+ AEH1700 on April 6th, 2014 at 3:59 am said:

Can’t wait to see it in action.

+ francelette1010 on April 6th, 2014 at 8:57 am said:

Cant wait. Feels like i will be in Sword Art Online

+ theArk0s on April 6th, 2014 at 4:00 pm said:

Love the concept, and will great to finally have more use for my PS4 camera – when do we get into the hardware beta? ;)

+ GLITZ12 on April 6th, 2014 at 5:52 pm said:

does it better than oculus rift like before

+ EONXV on April 6th, 2014 at 6:02 pm said:

any new free to play games on vita

+ bountyhunter2001 on April 6th, 2014 at 6:13 pm said:

Looks like I am going to buy it! hope its cheap and not heavy…

+ HeartlessShade20 on April 6th, 2014 at 8:36 pm said:

THIS I need. Ima go buy a camera rightnow just to make sure that my body is ready when this comes out. Can’t wait.
Also, will we be seeing anything at E3 about this?

+ Steelvoid on April 7th, 2014 at 6:20 am said:

Do you plan on producing something along the lines of playstation move gloves, for rendering hands in VR. Possibly with a touchpad for an arm sleeve, that can be rendered over in VR, to simulate computer controlls or displays. Then aside form just using hand motions for action, much like that wizard game that came out at the begining of PS move, you could incorporate touch sensors to press with your thumb in fingertips and also the outer edge of the index finger, if not just placing a slimmed down version of the PS move controllers attached to your palm, slimmed down so as to not interfere with finger motions. Side note: mostly would just love to have a sick pair of lit up gloves to look cool in :)

I can only imagine that dropping the controller while in VR would cause a suspenseful sistuation. funny to watch horrifying to experience.
???

+ carbonfox202 on April 7th, 2014 at 8:19 am said:

i’d be okay with a full size helmet-imo whatever it takes to put me in the game >.>

+ angelic91 on April 7th, 2014 at 9:30 am said:

Is there going to be a sign up to beta test this product? Like a lucky few will try it kind of deal?

+ CX–Deadly on April 7th, 2014 at 11:21 am said:

How long roughly till a final product is available? Months? Years? I want one bad!!

+ unknownNES3D on April 7th, 2014 at 2:44 pm said:

Will this be on the ps vita and the ps3? Will it have wires?

+ unknownNES3D on April 7th, 2014 at 2:44 pm said:

MY BODY IS READY !

+ HiperZombie on April 8th, 2014 at 3:00 am said:

it will be awesome be in another body another life another world shu you are my new hero and i will love see more from this project from all the staff of course and let me tell you when i see you whit kratos cant even imagine that could bee me in the future thnks a lot hope more news and this project come soon to us

+ BlackBirdx51US on April 8th, 2014 at 9:46 am said:

i’t would be cool if this Sony VR Headset combined with Leap Montion :D

+ boz773 on April 8th, 2014 at 9:58 am said:

I’m in love. Count me in!

+ joshua420allday on April 8th, 2014 at 3:37 pm said:

Wow been waiting for this for a long time will games like call of duty ghosts be something that we will be able to play on it?

+ lock_ness009 on April 8th, 2014 at 8:01 pm said:

I would really like to know if Project Morpheus will also work on PS3, at least as a head-mounted display only? I understand the motion tracking technology may be exclusive to PS4. Please PLEASE Mr. Yoshida???

There are incredible games on PS3 that would look and play beautifully on Morpheus!

+ RCR293 on April 8th, 2014 at 8:14 pm said:

What I would like to know is if the PS Camera and the issues its having will ever be fixed to make it worth buying?

+ Dark_Lord_Drexik on April 9th, 2014 at 11:07 am said:

I hope that they will do beta testing for it.

+ BrainSquid- on April 9th, 2014 at 12:06 pm said:

This looks amazing.

+ KingofKaosv3 on April 9th, 2014 at 12:44 pm said:

Any Price ranges? I mean what are us gamers looking at spending versus the device and games for it? Also are any games going to be for the PS4 and Morpheus (backwards compatibility?)

+ BORVALE on April 9th, 2014 at 12:47 pm said:

It looks interesting & has come along way from one of the first VR systems I had seen back in the late 80′s early 90′s where the one game I did see looked very Tron as players battled eachother.
Im excited to see how this will evolve in time, the selling point for me will be adding a panaramic view, when you add your peripheral view to the experience and can see around you that will be the game changer~

PAGE 1 8 9 10 11