PS4-Watch_Dogs

New PS Vita Apps: Hulu Plus, Redbox Instant, Crunchyroll, More

Jamaal Moore's Avatar + Posted by Jamaal Moore on Mar 18, 2014 // Brand Marketing Manager of Emerging Platforms, SCEA

Crunchyroll on PS Vita

Good news — a selection of new apps are coming to PS Vita! Starting today, you can enjoy the following services on your Vita:

Crunchyroll — Watch the latest and best selection of Anime from Japan, including Naruto Shippuden, Attack on Titan, Kill la Kill, Hunter × Hunter and many more, as early as one hour after Japanese broadcast.

NHL GameCenter LIVE — Instantly stream live out-of-market games in HD quality with your NHL GameCenter LIVE subscription.

Qello Concerts — You can now watch your favorite artist’s full-length performances in HD whenever and wherever you want. Qello Concerts streams the largest collection of HD concerts and music documentaries right to your PS Vita, including popular artists such as Coldplay, Linkin Park, Nirvana, Bob Marley, Beyonce, and so much more. With Qello Concerts, the concert never ends!

PlayStation is dedicated to giving our fans the best entertainment options on our platforms, and we’ll continue to bring epic entertainment options straight to you. Look for these apps coming this spring to PS Vita:

Gaiam TV — From energizing yoga and fitness classes to inspiring documentaries and cutting-edge programs, Gaiam TV takes you beyond the boundaries of mainstream media to reveal new perspectives for our changing world.

Hulu Plus — Hulu Plus offers unlimited instant streaming of current hit shows like Family Guy, The Simpsons, Modern Family and Brooklyn Nine-Nine as well as original series including The Awesomes and The Wrong Mans for $7.99/month with limited advertising. (Available March 25)

Redbox Instant by Verizon — Redbox Instant by Verizon is offering new subscribers a free month of movies. Subscribers can stream from a library of Hollywood hits on PS Vita and receive four DVD or Blu-ray rental nights every month for new releases at the Redbox kiosk. You can also purchase or rent the latest movies on demand in the digital store. (Available March 25)

These apps join favorites such as Crackle, Facebook, Flickr, NBA Game Time, Netflix, Skype, TuneIn Radio, YouTube, and more. There are more apps coming later this year, so keep and eye on PlayStation.Blog for more PS Vita news.

All entertainment apps can be found in the PS Vita app section in PlayStation Store.

PAGE 1 2

+ BloodyYuki29 on March 18th, 2014 at 6:08 am said:

Good to see Crunchyroll coming to the PS Vita. I’m an anime junkie :)

+ Wayndawind on March 18th, 2014 at 6:09 am said:

OMG! About Time. Thanks guys, i mean its not like it was needed first day due to the game PS+ is keeping use busy with. Lets keep it going and show what this thing can really do. Power to the Vita!

+ JLOPEZWV on March 18th, 2014 at 6:10 am said:

MAN I wish Sony would work harder on GETTING the PS4 up to par with all the promises they said was coming I’m sure you know which ones I’m talking about….

+ alfred7131 on March 18th, 2014 at 6:19 am said:

OMG Crunchyroll finally came out

+ Sulumon on March 18th, 2014 at 6:21 am said:

NHL Gamecenter? NHL GAMECENTER?! Seriously, it’s been 2 years, WHERE IS THE MLBTV APP!!! That and the Metal Gear acid and Portable Ops for Vita.

+ ZombiePyro on March 18th, 2014 at 6:27 am said:

OMG! I was waiting for almost all of this. Red box. Anime. Music. That plus all my games makes my vita better then my laptop. Keep it up guys.

Jamaal Moore's Avatar

+ Jamaal Moore on March 18th, 2014 at 10:22 am said:

Your wait is now over :-) The Vita is definitely a great on-the-go entertainment device.

+ BANDICOOTKING on March 18th, 2014 at 6:29 am said:

Awesome, I’ve been waiting for some crunchy

+ WilhelmSH on March 18th, 2014 at 6:34 am said:

Any idea if the existing social apps for the Vita are going to get button controls patched in? Last time I checked the FB/Twitter/etc. apps all still required touch controls.

+ jhernandez360 on March 18th, 2014 at 6:36 am said:

Please fix the Facebook APP!!!!!

+ Bigbadwolfe143 on March 18th, 2014 at 6:39 am said:

Nice glad to see Hulu added to the Vita, now if you will add Vudu I will be set!

+ kratos1984 on March 18th, 2014 at 6:39 am said:

Any news on Amazon Prime?

+ allnewfie on March 18th, 2014 at 6:41 am said:

will these apps be for canada aswell or just US ? i dont understand why crackle works on ps3 in canada but we cant get it for vita. Please dont leave canada out, we need apps too!!!

+ c_bellevie on March 18th, 2014 at 6:43 am said:

Crunchyroll!!!

+ jasondm300 on March 18th, 2014 at 6:43 am said:

Will there ever be a MLB at bat app for the vita? I would love to have the game on my ps4 and stats or another game on my vita

+ Fate_Sxber on March 18th, 2014 at 6:48 am said:

Nhl gamecenter and crunchyroll, what a nice suprise! Only question is, will the crunchyroll app be able to stream in HD quality if you have a premium membership? The a Android and iOS apps cannot, but I would love to see some HD anime on the Oled.

+ houshamazilla on March 18th, 2014 at 6:55 am said:

I’d much rather see an EA NHL game on Vita than NHL GameCenter.

+ Wayndawind on March 18th, 2014 at 6:56 am said:

lol@#6, I feel you!

+ Flabeo on March 18th, 2014 at 7:07 am said:

Just wondering why services like qello which are also available in Canada don’t have apps in the Canadian PSN store?

+ italodancemp3 on March 18th, 2014 at 7:08 am said:

Most those apps are shop apps,Sony should brings other non-shop apps to Vita such as Audio/Video players with playing other audio and video formats or weather,news,utility apps….

+ Gorvi on March 18th, 2014 at 7:17 am said:

Nice! Now all that’s missing for now in terms of apps is Amazon Prime. I’d love to see that on the Vita.

+ bball230 on March 18th, 2014 at 7:17 am said:

Long time request for the PS-Vita system software team.

First and foremost, WPA-Enterprise (wifi) support for the Vita.

Many college campuses use this, and students cannot play their vita’s online. (Ohio state is one of the largest universities in the world).
And its inaccessible for all of us. WPA-Ent2 is a very common security authentication.

**Can we please get confirmation if this is even possible? or in the works. Its huge for a lot of us.

Second. Can we please have the ability to mark Email as READ/UNREAD on the vita email app… Just a basic feature needed for all email applications, and its missing on the vita.
Thanks All!

+ boomstickbhg on March 18th, 2014 at 7:23 am said:

Since you didn’t say otherwise anywhere, it’s safe to assume since this is the NA blog, that Canada will also have access to these Apps?

We miss out on a lot of apps but typically but typically whoever posts the blog let’s us know one way or the other.

Ya know, basic customer communications.

+ JeffsonP on March 18th, 2014 at 7:26 am said:

Here in Brazil, we’re still waiting YouTube and Crackle PS Vita apps…
Any plans on releasing these apps here?

+ TeamGreen615 on March 18th, 2014 at 7:38 am said:

I know we just got HBO GO on the PS3 but I would love to have it on the Vita as well.

+ dydazzy on March 18th, 2014 at 7:39 am said:

Wow, you’re making my PS Vita a dream come true. Thank you. Keep up the good work.

Jamaal Moore's Avatar

+ Jamaal Moore on March 18th, 2014 at 10:13 am said:

Thanks for the appreciation. We love the Vita as much as you do.

+ sethisthegoat on March 18th, 2014 at 7:39 am said:

Is there any possibility of MLB.TV coming to PS platforms?

+ shibbydibbybibby on March 18th, 2014 at 7:41 am said:

wow! 6 new apps and nothing from SONY on updating the vitas arbitrary 100 app/save limit. its been 2 years. atm i have 15 games/apps that are sitting in limbo. new games every month. crap apps that cant be deleted. and apparently new apps that would make even less space for games.

+ juuichi-11 on March 18th, 2014 at 7:42 am said:

Crunchyroll……. :D \o\ /o/ <o/ thanks guys ^^

+ shibbydibbybibby on March 18th, 2014 at 7:43 am said:

eliminate the 100 app/save limit NOW!

get a clue sony! and fire whoever came up with stunting the vita at only 100 apps/saves. they clearly arent serving you or the consumers best interests.

+ perrandy on March 18th, 2014 at 8:10 am said:

very good news,thank you based sony!

+ Teflon02 on March 18th, 2014 at 8:18 am said:

Crunchyroll probably won’t be in Canada just like Crackle. I’m getting tired of how Canada’s being treated as of late. Makes me wanna retire playing games. Raised prices, games like Blackrockshooter not releasing in Canada. Crackle, a fully supported in Canada service not getting it’s Vita app in Canada, I get my FFX|X-2 HD today and Canada apparently doesn’t get the special cards in the case like America… I swear, all we can ever get is screwed over…

+ TwinDad on March 18th, 2014 at 8:21 am said:

Any thoughts about bringing a weather app?

+ todd567 on March 18th, 2014 at 8:29 am said:

crunchyroll sweet

+ Arsenic13 on March 18th, 2014 at 8:31 am said:

Twitch would make A LOT of sense, guys. At least an app to watch and comment on streams.

+ Ragdoll72 on March 18th, 2014 at 8:33 am said:

Any update on if the Vita will ever support WPA2 Enterprise? Seriously need this

+ Mando44646 on March 18th, 2014 at 8:37 am said:

sooo can you RAISE THE FREAKIN 100 ICON LIMIT?

Memory also needs to be cheaper. I have no room on my 32gb card for stuff like Netflix or Hulu because I have so many games on it and the 64gb is unreasonably, ridiculously, expensive. This is the most glaring issue with the Vita

+ secularsage on March 18th, 2014 at 9:04 am said:

I love my Vita and play it more than any game system I own, home consoles included. I’m thrilled Hulu Plus is coming after what seems like forever. Crunchyroll and Qello sound pretty rad, too.

With that said! The Vita has some real limitations that all of us Vita fans wish Sony would finally address.

1) The Vita needs a firmware update to remove the 100 icon limit.
2) The Vita needs to be able to support WPA2 Enterprise OR to have an easy workaround for it… especially if more services are going to be added like this.
3) The stock apps (email, welcome park, etc) should be able to be disabled or deleted, especially given the aforementioned 100 icon limit.

At the very least, an explanation of why these things CAN’T be done would be better than saying nothing and doing nothing.

+ MKPACK on March 18th, 2014 at 9:05 am said:

I’m very glad that Hulu+ is coming. Please bring VUDU and Flixster Streaming as well! Thanks for making my vita a more useful device!

+ RoII_chan on March 18th, 2014 at 9:10 am said:

Sweet! now I can watch Crunchyroll on my PS3,PS4, PS Vita and My Xperia Z1! ^_^

+ RiceCooka on March 18th, 2014 at 9:15 am said:

I’ve been waiting for the CrunchyRoll app FOREVER.

Plus Hulu is on the way? THANK YOU BASED SONY.

Jamaal Moore's Avatar

+ Jamaal Moore on March 18th, 2014 at 10:15 am said:

Hulu Plus is next week.

+ RiceCooka on March 18th, 2014 at 9:28 am said:

I seriously have been harassing Sony and CrunchyRoll for a long time about this, so I’m really happy this is happening.

You guys are great.

I’m not sure if it’s in the pipeline, but I would also love if the web browser and Facebook got updates. I don’t know if it’s in the realm of possibility, but I would love to see a version of Chrome or Firefox (or Opera even) on the Vita. The browser on the Vita as it is just isn’t very usable. I feel bad having to pull out my iPhone to look up game tips while I’m playing a Vita title. I’d much rather just jump between browser and game.

If you need a beta tester or anything for new app updates I’m ready :-)

+ Joao_Vicente on March 18th, 2014 at 9:34 am said:

PDF reader god damming!

+ Kharmeister on March 18th, 2014 at 9:36 am said:

Any word on when we’ll get a YOUTUBE app on PS4, as every other current Playstation console and every modern electronic device has it (even if it’s barely any different than the PS3 YouTube app, that would be fine).

How about a full Twitch App for PS4, as the Xbox One Twitch App is kicking the crap out of Live on Playstation in terms of content and functionality?

How about adding voice control options for recording gameplay clips (instead of having to use the Share button and interrupt gameplay)? The PS4 Camera is long overdue for some useful updates, and the Share feature is still glitchy and not incredibly user friendly.

Finally, could we get a PS4 remote that will allow us to enjoy our non-gaming PS4 apps on PS4 sans-controller, and will allow us to access functions on the console that HDMI control won’t? I can use my TV’s remote until I get into an app or have to use an actual button on the controller, at which point the remote becomes useless. Once again, the PS3 Blu-Ray remote is a perfect example of the kind of inexpensive remote the PS4 needs right now.

I hope these comments trickle upward to the folks that can do something about it.

+ Kharmeister on March 18th, 2014 at 9:43 am said:

As for the Vita, I agree with RiceCooka, it needs a better browser, as does the PS4, as they’re both incompatible with a lot of web content.

It would also be nice to see the Vita get more mobile apps that are meant to integrate with the console version of games. We see these proliferating on smartphones and tablets all the time, but they never make their way to Vita, which is much more built for gaming. The only game I’ve seen to make this move is Deus Ex: HR Director’s Cut, while other big games like Assassin’s Creed 4: Black Flag, Watch Dogs, Battlefield 4 and others pass the Vita over. Seems like a missed opportunity, especially since it would bring more compelling “games” and “mini-games” to the Vita in the form of companion apps, and make a Vita more worth having along with a PS4.

+ FRott on March 18th, 2014 at 9:44 am said:

How about Amazon Prime Instant Video? I subscribe to that and Netflix, not RedBox because RedBox is dying.

+ jose213jose on March 18th, 2014 at 9:49 am said:

I been waiting for the app for vita and its now here. :) Hope it runs good on the vita like it does on PS3.

+ luvtoseek on March 18th, 2014 at 9:56 am said:

Off topic: the Vita Slim looks great!

+ Welmosca on March 18th, 2014 at 10:03 am said:

Crunchyroll?….ha now that’s what I’m talking about.

@ 29 shibbydibbybibby – You really won’t get what you’re looking for acting like that…there is no need to spam…you could’ve written only one time….with caps lol.

+ Ryumoau on March 18th, 2014 at 10:06 am said:

lol crunchyroll. no way am i wasting money on subtitled only content. I’ll wait till Funimation wises up and decides to make their own streaming app or everyone gives their anime to netflix, so i don’t have to have so many different subscriptions active.

PAGE 1 2