PS4-Watch_Dogs

Gameplay Trailer for Oddworld: New ‘n’ Tasty Revealed

Stewart Gilray's Avatar + Posted by Stewart Gilray on Mar 19, 2014 // CEO, Just Add Water

Greetings, everyone! So it’s GDC week, and to celebrate we wanted to share with you the very first gameplay trailer for Oddworld: New ‘n’ Tasty.

We’ve been working incredibly hard to bring you this epic re-imagining of Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee. In this trailer, you’ll see elements of gameplay and locations we’ve been talking about for the past 9 months, in all their 21st century glory!

You’ll see the dynamic cameras, the epic full-screen visual effects, Scrabs and Paramites, all trying to ruin Abe’s day. You’ll hear a new rhythm-filled rendition of an old classic from the original soundtrack, along with the new sound design.

Oddworld: New 'n' TastyOddworld: New 'n' Tasty

We hope you enjoy the trailer and are as excited as we are to get the finished game in your mits. We’ll be announcing the PS4, PS3, and PS Vita release date in due course. Until then, let us know what you think.

Cheers.

+ BattleSkard on March 19th, 2014 at 9:06 am said:

Cool

+ UndreyVITA on March 19th, 2014 at 9:10 am said:

This is odd…

How does it play via Remote Play?

+ Chille on March 19th, 2014 at 9:10 am said:

I can’t wait to buy this

+ Jrange378 on March 19th, 2014 at 9:11 am said:

This game looks awesome and I can’t wait to help you guys reach you’re 250k goal.

I do however really hope you guys start making new Oddworld games, whether it be a new story for Abe in 3D, or Fangus Klot or anything. I want to see some new Oddworld stuff!

+ Vyprstryke on March 19th, 2014 at 9:12 am said:

Looks like I’ll be buying this on PS systems and Wii U!! Really can’t wait for this one!!

+ MrSignal on March 19th, 2014 at 9:22 am said:

Hey, things gotta be looking up for Abe, he has his fourth digit back.

+ WilbertX on March 19th, 2014 at 9:24 am said:

Damn, not really a big fan but this looks kinda tasty šŸ˜Š

Stewart Gilray's Avatar

+ Stewart Gilray on March 19th, 2014 at 9:27 am said:

You might say, it looks New ‘n’ Tasty ;)

+ GStylez1980 on March 19th, 2014 at 9:29 am said:

I love the way this game looks. The little things that are happening in the background and the movement of the characters is so interesting. Another perfect fit for my Vita. The little portable has such a bright little future! Lol!

+ CatatonicAlex on March 19th, 2014 at 9:45 am said:

Hopefully the vita version looks pretty as well.

+ xob0t_us on March 19th, 2014 at 9:53 am said:

animation of jumping Abe looks very similar to Prince of Persia:)

+ HeavyToka on March 19th, 2014 at 9:59 am said:

This is a must buy for me! This is the game that got my mom playing games, I remember being 15 when the original came out and playing the whole thing with her.

+ Welmosca on March 19th, 2014 at 10:22 am said:

Oh amazing…this looks so nice…this is the real Oddworld not that crap stranger’s wrath…who played the 1st ones on PS1 know what I’m talking about.Ha PS3 and Vita…thats a double YAY…I’ll be buying it thats for sure….it’ll bring back some good old memories.

+ mvillatoro on March 19th, 2014 at 10:38 am said:

buenisimo coool, ‘ll buy this game

+ RE_Player on March 19th, 2014 at 11:03 am said:

Looks great. I’ve bought the rest of the Oddworld games released on PSN and this won’t be any different.

Stewart Gilray's Avatar

+ Stewart Gilray on March 19th, 2014 at 11:10 am said:

Hoorah! :-)

+ Kazesama on March 19th, 2014 at 11:28 am said:

I can’t wait!! I am still playing the PS1 version. Such a great game. By the way, do you plan on releasing a brand new Oddworld?

+ Gorvi on March 19th, 2014 at 11:42 am said:

Stewart! Where’s Gravity Crash Ultra??!!

Stewart Gilray's Avatar

+ Stewart Gilray on March 20th, 2014 at 2:14 am said:

Sooooooooon ;-)

+ plaztiksyke on March 19th, 2014 at 11:54 am said:

is it just me, or does this look like it was made for 3DTV? any plans to support 3DTV on PS3/4?

the lighting looks great, though the particles don’t appear to be a source of rays themselves.

PS4/Vita versions will have 24-bit/lossless audio, I hope?

any plans for Stranger’s Wrath and Munch’s Oddyssee to come to PS4 in 1080p 3D?

Vita version of Stranger’s Wrath was a bit underwhelming visually, is there a patch coming to optimize texture quality or introduce AA?

Stewart Gilray's Avatar

+ Stewart Gilray on March 20th, 2014 at 2:17 am said:

Wow that’s a lot of questions, let’s take each one, one at a time :)

1. 3D TV Support. Currently our engine doesn’t support it, but hopefully in time it will, if so we’ll look to adding it.

2. They are the source, but there are other sources too.

3. Our audio system is powered by Wwise, so I’m sure our audio guy will be using THE best quality available to him.

4. We’ve discussed Stranger on PS4, but nothing beyond discussions.

5. Really? wow, well the texture quality on VITA was a little down on the PS3 version due to storage space. But on the whole it’s the same. As for AA, I’m sure VITA does have AA already… I’ll look into that.

Stewart

+ Robbie_G_lrish on March 19th, 2014 at 12:31 pm said:

I have to say that I was a little skeptical about whether or not I would care about this because the original still holds up very well. After seeing the trailer though it’s actually pretty impressive. The Vita version can’t look this good can it?

+ StalkerD on March 19th, 2014 at 12:37 pm said:

I simply LOVE the original. One of my all time favorite games. Can’t wait to play this. Is it going to be cross buy? If not, I will surely get for the Vita.

Can you share with us what can we expect from the game that will be totally new? You say it is a reimagining, but from the videos it looks pretty much completely faithful to the source material.

Hello! Hello. Follow me. Ok.

+ tusunami on March 19th, 2014 at 12:38 pm said:

@UndreyVITA I take it you own a PS Vita but not a PS4 unfortunately but whenever you get one you will see the remote play feature works flawlessly. On another note this will be a excellent platformer, I have always like abe’s oddysee series a quirky yet unique game.

+ P3RR0-D3L4RG3 on March 19th, 2014 at 1:11 pm said:

thanks a lot for this remake! (:

just a-must-have//

+ Xenobits on March 19th, 2014 at 3:08 pm said:

Wow I’ve been waiting so long for this :) Thank you PlayStation for supporting this remake!

+ thereapersson on March 19th, 2014 at 4:22 pm said:

My early teenage years have been reborn! Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee was the first title I ever owned on my original PlayStation. For this remake to be happening – and in such a beautifully rendered HD format, no less – is amazing. I have to admit, I did feel betrayed when I found out that the next game after Exoddus was going to be an XBOX exclusive, and thus sort of stopped paying attention to Oddworld Inhabitants. Thanks for remembering your console roots and for giving back to the PlayStation community who has missed you guys dearly!

Day-one purchase for me – on my PS4, no less!

+ thereapersson on March 19th, 2014 at 4:24 pm said:

One more question! Are you guys going to incorporate the voice commands with the Playstation microphone functionality or utilize the Dualshock 4′s speaker in any way? Thanks!

Stewart Gilray's Avatar

+ Stewart Gilray on March 20th, 2014 at 2:19 am said:

I believe we’re looking to have Abe’s “GameSpeak” coming out of the DS4′ speaker.

+ bmrskate on March 19th, 2014 at 5:09 pm said:

Very interested as I’ve never played the Oddworld series. Does New ‘n’ Tasty taste good with ketchup, mustard, and relish? Will there be an Oddworld New ‘n’ Tasty cookbook?

Really enjoyed the gameplay and humor in the trailer, so I’ll be looking forward to updates.

+ Elvick_ on March 19th, 2014 at 6:44 pm said:

The game looks lovely. Can’t wait. Now which to pick, PS4 or PS Vita at launch…

+ BlaqMagiq24 on March 19th, 2014 at 7:32 pm said:

I always wanted to experience Oddworld in the past but never had the chance. I will definitely be picking this up when it comes out.

+ jawara on March 19th, 2014 at 8:40 pm said:

What happened to munch’s oddysee for the PS VITA?

Stewart Gilray's Avatar

+ Stewart Gilray on March 20th, 2014 at 2:19 am said:

Ask me that again in 3-4 weeks time ;)

+ MakoSoul on March 19th, 2014 at 10:16 pm said:

I loved this game back when I first had a PS. It definitely had at least 2 disc. Epic playthrough.

Stewart Gilray's Avatar

+ Stewart Gilray on March 20th, 2014 at 2:20 am said:

Actually, Abe’s Oddysee was on 1 Disc, and Abe’s Exodduss was on 2 Disc’s

+ larshar6 on March 20th, 2014 at 12:52 am said:

I loved this game as well as abes exodus–I will buy this game as from what I understand that the people behind this say that if they were to do the second one to this they would need to sell like 500 thousand copies of it–if they staytrue to the games orginal gameplay plus make it look sweet then there shouldn’t be any problem in that I cant wait until they reveal release date plus cant wait until it is released

+ ElectricSlurpee on March 20th, 2014 at 2:07 am said:

OMG, LOOKS SO NICE!! as much as i love oddworld, when/how is the quintology going to end??

Stewart Gilray's Avatar

+ Stewart Gilray on March 20th, 2014 at 2:21 am said:

We’d love to finish the Quintology, time will tell if we can do that, and to be blunt, how well New ‘n’ Tasty sells too.

+ xeno3d on March 20th, 2014 at 5:44 am said:

Looks awesome! Can;t wait to play this again. I never got a chance to beat it on PS1

+ IXxHIJACKERxXI on March 20th, 2014 at 1:06 pm said:

this is like going back in time but with better graphics pS I salute you

+ guitarded77 on March 20th, 2014 at 1:48 pm said:

I see it says re-imagining… Does that mean that the controls will be modernized along with the graphics and audio? I went back and played some Oddworld recently, and the controls themselves felt awkward by today’s standards of tightness and response.

+ runs_like_wind on March 20th, 2014 at 3:21 pm said:

Sorry i dont get it, is it a hd remake?
love oddworld beaten the first 2 atleast 10 times ;)

+ happydude633 on March 20th, 2014 at 4:18 pm said:

This will be a day one purchase for me as long as it’s cross buy. If it’s not, I will buy it whenever I get my Ps4 in the future. Oddworld Abe’s Oddysee was my very first PSOne game. Never beat it…I will this time around though! Good job on the game, looks amazing!

+ icurafuse on March 20th, 2014 at 4:34 pm said:

plaztiksyke – The Vita version was probably the single greatest Vita port to date. This is the single reason why I’m waiting for anything else that JAW may throw our way.

+ younginflavor18 on March 21st, 2014 at 3:48 am said:

It’s no doubt that the game looks new and tasty. I’m going to look forward to playing the high-definition re-visual once it’s released. ;)

+ rey701 on March 21st, 2014 at 6:25 am said:

I remember playing this back in it’s PS1 days. My question is if I buy it for one of the platforms mentioned above, will I be able to play it on the others? For example, if I purchase it from the PSN store for PS3, will I also be able to play it on PS Vita or PS4?