PS4 - Destiny

PlayStation Plus: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite for Members

Kristine Steimer's Avatar + Posted by Kristine Steimer on Mar 24, 2014 // Sr. Community Specialist

Submit to the addictiveness of Monster Hunter with MH: Freedom Unite, free for PlayStation Plus members starting Tuesday, 3/25. Take down bizarre creatures and loot their bodies for crafting components so you can make more powerful weapons to take down bigger, badder monsters. If you don’t want to take on enemies alone, you can play with up to 4 of your friends. Even if you can’t pull a group of friends together, you can always hire a Felyne companion in the game, and let’s face it, they are way more adorable than any of your friends.

This week for our Spring Fever sale you can pick up Fez on PS4, PS3 and PS Vita at a discount along with a bunch of BioShock markdowns.

You can download Monster Hunter Freedom Unite after the PlayStation Store updates tomorrow, 3/25.

PS Plus 3-25-2014

PlayStation Plus: Instant Game Collection

Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (PS Vita)

Free for PS Plus members

Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
*The biggest Monster Hunter title to date with over 500 hours of gameplay.
*Huge variety of character customizations including 1400 weapons and over 2000 armor sets.
*Players can form a team of up to 4 players through Ad-Hoc play and experience the social gaming phenomenon.
*AI Felyne companion, who will accompany players on quests and provide aid through the challenging battles.
*Fans of the series can transfer their data from Monster Hunter Freedom 2.

PlayStation Plus: Discounts

Bioshock Infinite – Columbia’s Finest Pack $2.44 $3.49
Bioshock Infinite – Clash In The Clouds $2.44 $3.49

Other Discounts

Title Plus Price Regular Price
Blazblue: Chrono Phantasma (Pre-Order) $40.49 $44.99

PlayStation Plus: Last Chance

If you’ve got feedback on today’s Plus update make sure vote in the poll and leave a comment below. To discuss all things PlayStation, including this update, you can also head over to the PlayStation Community Forums where you’ll find topics you can contribute your thoughts to, or start one for yourself.

+ Tjoeb123 on March 24th, 2014 at 2:14 pm said:

@131 (TJF588) Actually, I’d rather have the Vita version of BlazBlue. But since that’s not coming out till later, and I already have my PS3 Limited Edition paid off ($80), I’ll just pick that up and trade it in towards the Vita version closer to release. You know what companies should do? They should sell a “digital collector’s edition” where they sell the box (with the physical goods and all) in stores, but instead of a game case, we get a download code.

I would’ve loved to pick up that ToS Collector’s Edition, but….$100? Yeah, I had to pass on that.

+ TooLegit505 on March 24th, 2014 at 2:16 pm said:

Why does it say Monster Hunter is a Vita game? That is false, it’s a PSP game.
I’ll bet Vita Plus users will also still have Gravity Rush, Uncharted, and Wipeout as well for like the 89th month!!!!! YESSSS!!!!!!!

+ TooLegit505 on March 24th, 2014 at 2:23 pm said:

I have a PSP and a ton of games. I would appreciate it if Sony would stop retagging old PSP games and calling them Vita games. Very misleading / false advertising. Trying to make it seem as if it is a new product. LOL

+ DancerNinja on March 24th, 2014 at 2:33 pm said:

@twindad I get that it’s a good game, and it’s alright to give us as we did get a bonus 2 games this month.

But i agree more with toolegit505 that giving us 5 year old games and justifying it by saying ‘this game is awesome!” is pretty much just bad business by sony.

—-

to all the other ppl who question if gamers who like trophies are real gamers are not…..

well, the first games I tackled as a 5 year old included dragon warrior, mario, and gradius; games that I still fire up on emulators every once in awhile.

guess I’m not a real gamer, since i like trophies -_-

+ BlueBl1zzard on March 24th, 2014 at 2:39 pm said:

@herbalsticky (#136) wow, that’s rough. Glad to hear you made it through all of that ok. However, I disagree with your argument of PS Plus. Playstation plus advertises the IGC as part of the service, but no where do they say that the IGC consists solely of Vita games, or PS3 games, or PS4 games for that matter. That said, they are allowed to give us PSP games (or PS1 and PS2 games) in addition to the aforementioned consoles, and in doing so, they are technically giving us something extra on top of what was advertised. With your Pepsi/Coke analogy that doesn’t really fit this situation. That’d be more akin to them advertising that we would ONLY get Vita games and instead ONLY giving us PSP games. The way I see it, you are indeed getting your Coke, but you’re also getting an older not as popular soda like Mellow Yellow (lol).

@shadow15972 I can see people buying a game for easy trophies or buying it on a particular console to help boost their trophy rank. What I don’t understand are people who refuse to play a perfectly good game because it doesn’t have trophies.

+ tomster5858 on March 24th, 2014 at 2:43 pm said:

why doesnt anyone like monster hunter :( its my favorite game on psp….no wonder we cant have any monster hunter games in the US

+ shadow15972 on March 24th, 2014 at 2:44 pm said:

@154 If you are referring to me, I didn’t say that people who like trophies aren’t gamers. All I said was if they *ONLY* buy a game for trophies then it isn’t right. There are plenty of great games out there without trophies. (final fantasy ix anyone? :D)

+ BlueBl1zzard on March 24th, 2014 at 2:47 pm said:

@TooLegit505 if you look closely at the picture, it does show PSP on the Monster Hunter picture. But I agree, they should still put (PSP/PS Vita) in the article section of the post, so people know it’s a PSP game playable on vita. Can you imagine the chaos if someone were to get the game expecting it to be a vita game (with trophies) only to find it it’s a PSP game and doesn’t have any!? I don’t think that’s a world I’d want to live in… D:

+ coon2001 on March 24th, 2014 at 2:47 pm said:

I wish their were more PS4 games for free on PSN, but it’s not like there are that many games anyway.

+ DancerNinja on March 24th, 2014 at 2:59 pm said:

And I played a ****load of ffxi during the golden years of my gaming…. but, playing an old psp game on vita thats actually rather hardcore and having nothing to show for it just isnt appealing to me.

+ PrimeroIncognito on March 24th, 2014 at 3:10 pm said:

@ DancerNinja

It’s not about whether or not you LIKE trophies… I’m a veteran gamer and I like trophies too.

But when someone outright rejects, smears, or minimizes the value of a game simply because it lacks trophies, this is what makes them appear to be fake gamers in many of our eyes. It’s like they NEED trophies to make them feel special. (The ePeen phenomenon… I’m sure you’re aware of it.)

Real gamers game for the game. Not for the trophies. The true reward for completing a game is witnessing the ending. The personal satisfaction of a challenge completed, and the experience gained while progressing toward the finish line. Trophies are a bonus, not the foundation.

+ TJF588 on March 24th, 2014 at 3:13 pm said:

@151 Tjoeb123 – I recall, in the yesteryear of the PSP being the Sony handheld receiving little due support, that Patapon 2 was one of, if not the lone, retail game that was sold as a download code within an otherwise standard case. With the load times and hardware noises of the FFX/X-2 HD Remaster, even during the Eternal Calm vignette, I know I wouldn’t’ve minded much to have those titles as downloads. But, hey, sold off the Xillia disc at release, then bought it digitally for less than I got for trading in. Worked out well enough, I s’pose. And for Bravely Default, aside from the risk of the card popping out (auto-saving is just one of numerous little sparks of genius in its UIs), perhaps it’s better to’ve gotten that physically. Can share it with my sis, even! …if I can get her to play anything of length, heh.

@159 coon2001 – Might I suggest *hand motion* h’the free-to-play section?

+ PrimeroIncognito on March 24th, 2014 at 3:14 pm said:

I’ve also noticed that many people use trophies as “evidence” that they beat a game because they feel that other people wouldn’t simply take their word for it if they claimed to have beaten a game. But that just goes to show how much society has broken down. The lack of trust people have for each other nowadays. We actually have to prove every little thing now. I guess maybe that’s necessary in a way to filter out the liars, but still, it’s like people don’t even trust their own ability to detect when someone is lying anymore, relying on an achievement tracking system to do it for them, which itself can be hacked to show inaccurate results, so… whatever. It’s sad.

+ JehovahsWitless on March 24th, 2014 at 3:16 pm said:

I still don’t understand what the big deal is about Fez, and I’m definitely not going to pay to find out.

I’m just looking forward to the announcement of next month’s stuff, because there’s little of relevance for me this week.

+ Tinye310 on March 24th, 2014 at 3:23 pm said:

Yeyyyyyy! VITA POWER!

+ ABADAWhiteCat on March 24th, 2014 at 3:27 pm said:

Any chance for discounts on Bioshock 1 & 2 DLC?

+ MortalKombat2K7 on March 24th, 2014 at 3:27 pm said:

Why is it Tomb Raider is leaving Instant Game Collection so soon and yet other games released long before Tomb Raider such as Bioshock Infinite and Uncharted are sticking around?

+ The_Dukenator on March 24th, 2014 at 3:31 pm said:

@165 Unlikely. Try looking for BioShock Ultimate Rapture Edition.

+ MakoSoul on March 24th, 2014 at 3:32 pm said:

@ MortalKombat2K7 Because it is Game of the Month. The game of the month title is only available for the month that it is game of the month.

+ MakoSoul on March 24th, 2014 at 3:32 pm said:

Now if someone would answer all the concerns regarding the Fez sale price increase….

+ Tjoeb123 on March 24th, 2014 at 3:45 pm said:

Those of you complaining about the price of FEZ: Just deal with you having to pay $5 more. I recommend picking up something else you may like for less than $5, so you won’t end up wasting it.

+ The_Dukenator on March 24th, 2014 at 3:51 pm said:

I’m gonna wait till the sale is out to see what the actual price of Fez would be. They said it is cross buy and Polytron said you get all 3 versions for one price.

+ tomster5858 on March 24th, 2014 at 3:52 pm said:

anyone happen to know what time the psn store updates?

+ LeoDaLyon on March 24th, 2014 at 4:01 pm said:

Why are so many of you complaining about Monster Hunter: Freedom Unite being added to the Instant Game Collection now?!? Kristine and the PS+/Blog teams have made a monthly post about what to expect throughout the month and have been exceptionally consitent with delivering this information to us. And now, we even get a nifty video to enjoy that previews each of the games. You’re all acting as if you didn’t already know MH:FU was going to be givien to us this week. It’s been moer than a month since you knew this was coming. You should have filed your complaints earlier.
(Continued)

+ LeoDaLyon on March 24th, 2014 at 4:02 pm said:

Next issue is the FEZ price increase.

Kristine, Sony or to whomever it may concern/can do something about it:

The price of FEZ was originally advertised as $9.99 for PS+ members. You know the people who pay for a service and expect the highest customer service possible. Yes, $0.39 is not a big deal, even for me who uses a credit card for the PS Store, but as people have mentioned in previous comments, the may have, like myself, been patiently waiting for this specific title to come out. Heck, the PlayStation Nation has been waitng for FEZ. Causing issues for potiential purchasers only hurts your image and to an extent Polytron’s image. You want to sell this thing don’t you? I guarantee Polytron wants to. This would be a bad start for FEZ’s life on PlayStation. It goes without saying people tend to remember the bad things more than the good. Anyone want to talk about last gen?My voice may be small, but OUR VOICES are loud together. Sony has been doing great, apart from late store updates. Don’t get cocky now. We want and in many ways need you to succeed, even as much as you want to. We come to you for a reason, keep being by gamers, for gamers.

+ LeoDaLyon on March 24th, 2014 at 4:04 pm said:

OK, wow, now I’m confused. After my rantings, this post now reads $9.74 for FEZ?!?

+ Arlo_D_Killa on March 24th, 2014 at 4:09 pm said:

I’ve never seen people get soo upset over 40 cents. If 40 cents more is too much for you than you shouldn’t even own a console :-)

+ shadow15972 on March 24th, 2014 at 4:16 pm said:

@173 Not everyone has a credit card to make up the 40 cents. (I do so I don’t worry, but they have a reason to complain)

Kristine replied saying it is gonna be $9.74 for plus members. :)

+ short-stack on March 24th, 2014 at 4:26 pm said:

Hi Kristine, If I preorder the digital copy of Blazblue Chrono Phantasma, will I receive the one free DLC character, like the retail disc is offering in stores? Thank you

+ TJF588 on March 24th, 2014 at 4:40 pm said:

Wow, did not realize what word I’d chosen from the spellcheck in my @131 comment (after a couple negligible typos): I mean per-trimester, whatever the ad…verb?, for that is. Not that it’s at all likely to be considered, but let my record stand that I saw what I failed to do there!

As for trophies (“toe-freeze”) as a matter of proof, I see it more as for myself than others (who really don’t care, anyone I know face-to-face). It’s like a trip back down memory lane, and from these “HD” ports, I’ve had my times of forgotten recollections. ‘course, some has peeved me (PSNProfiles tracks 100%/Platinum times, and the first Jak & Daxter had a couple ugly snags in the process that still leave me sour whenever I glance it), so there’s at least a case or two that a botched trophy hunt has made the game worse in my memories.

SONY! Sony. You read? Definitely get with any and everyone, and provide digital manuals for Full Games, especially if they’re ports of PS2 games, which often came with significant manuals. I can confirm (assuming I forgot it early enough, had I ever known it) that there’s only one collectible in J&D1 that requires that rolling jump.

+ StingrayX on March 24th, 2014 at 4:44 pm said:

Any update on when we get the 64 gig card in the states?

+ avatarguy on March 24th, 2014 at 4:46 pm said:

Prototype 2
Sniper Elite V2
Conflict: Denied Ops
Mercenaries 2: World in Flames
Sniper: Ghost Warrior

+ Drew_Croft on March 24th, 2014 at 5:08 pm said:

Oh nice! Didn’t know I was subscribed to Games with Gold.

+ Pie_Guy21 on March 24th, 2014 at 5:39 pm said:

Wait, is this going to be on the PS4 or Vita?
I’m just confused because this is posted in the PS4 section of the site, but it’s sounding like a Vita game :/

+ StealthBlade98 on March 24th, 2014 at 5:50 pm said:

This isn’t specific to PSN+ but does anyone know if From Software will put Black Armor Edition of Dark Souls 2 on PSN? Or am i better off buying the retail disc?

+ Mercenary09 on March 24th, 2014 at 5:53 pm said:

Thank you Kristine for that discount on Fez.

+ DancerNinja on March 24th, 2014 at 5:57 pm said:

not many games today have the ability to draw me into the story like they did in the old days.

prob why I feel like playing ffxiv on ps4.

+ Daush on March 24th, 2014 at 6:13 pm said:

easy question;

is Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (PS Vita) a PSVITA game or a PSP game? i was looking at it on tube, and i only get PSP version played on a PSVITA, but no the PSVITA game.

why is that?

+ JosephDUDEhola1 on March 24th, 2014 at 6:15 pm said:

-Now I want some Far Cry 3 for my PS3! :)

-Something new to play on my PS4 because, I’ve already beaten every game I’ve bought for it, & even went the trouble to get Assassin’s Creed 4′s Platinum XD

Also some more fun titles for the Vita as I bought my 64GB Memory Card just in time.

So bring it ! :D

+ sparepart on March 24th, 2014 at 6:31 pm said:

Why are so many self entitled kids whining about getting MHFU? We got 4 yes count them 4 games for the Vita this month, yet you still find it necessary to cry about 1 game. Go buy those new Vita titles that you want so bad, or wait for a PLUS discount/free offer. But do not try and speak for the whole community. I already own MHFU and IMO it is an great game.
Also I would be happy to get more PSP games added to the IGC, I also would not mind getting more PS mini, PS1, and even welcome PS2 games to be added to the IGC.
Plus is not going anywhere and just because you do not like the game offered this week does not mean others feel the same as you. If you don’t like it get over it, move on.

+ tusunami on March 24th, 2014 at 7:07 pm said:

I can’t wait to get Fez cross-buy is just phenomenal. Glad to be a PS Plus member tommorrow can’t get here quick enough!!!!!!!!

+ saab01 on March 24th, 2014 at 7:25 pm said:

Please please please Dishonored added to the IGC

+ FarmFreshEggBoy on March 24th, 2014 at 7:55 pm said:

Start working on adding Fez to the IGC, I’d love to have it on my Vita, but don’t think I can bring myself to pay for it again (I already have it for PC).

+ Rakeozix on March 24th, 2014 at 8:12 pm said:

Stop ur complaining bout psp game i tink there are better game than crap vita game we get last month….modnation racer and smart was a joke for IGC….MH unite is probraly the best psp of there can’t complain…more psp rpg game plz

+ The_Dukenator on March 24th, 2014 at 8:33 pm said:

@183 Xbox Games With Gold started last June, PS+ Instant Game Collection was started long time ago.

@193 It’ll be a long time before it appears there, so take the deal now.

+ kurayge on March 24th, 2014 at 8:38 pm said:

MONSTER HUNTER!!!!!!! YES!!!!!

+ abuelo89 on March 24th, 2014 at 9:06 pm said:

You should at least ad the dlc for bioshock 2 also to the discounts. I will love that

+ abuelo89 on March 24th, 2014 at 9:11 pm said:

Ps plus members should receive an extra discount for buying GTA V come on you should spoil us all the time. So more people by ps plus. I love beacuase of it i now own over 100 games and yes some times you give free stuff i just bought. That aint so bad, the problem is when you stop trying to give good things.

+ kelapaijo on March 24th, 2014 at 9:26 pm said:

wow.. cant wait to download it :D

+ Huguin00 on March 24th, 2014 at 10:56 pm said:

Im so glad for Monster Hunter :D! i do really enjoy PSP games on my vita, keep it up!