PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

Deception IV: Blood Ties Out Today for PS3, PS Vita

Keisuke Kikuchi's Avatar + Posted by Keisuke Kikuchi on Mar 25, 2014 // Producer

Deception IV: Blood Ties

It’s safe to say that no other game in the world contains as many ways to kill and hurt enemies as Deception IV: Blood Ties, which is out today on PS3 and PS Vita. More than 100 different traps allow you to slice, hit, launch, trip, and otherwise torment your victim in a variety of imaginative ways. Dropping a flower vase onto the head of a powerful hero as a giant high heel descends from the ceiling to crush him is not the kind of experience you can have in most other games.

Besides the traps that you can select and place yourself, you can also take advantage of stage traps. In one stage you can set up a launching trap to hurl your victims into the Car Wash, and in another you can roast them alive inside a Brazen Bull.

Deception IV: Blood TiesDeception IV: Blood Ties

But while Laegrinna and her Daemons show neither mercy nor restraint toward their victims, we’ve worked hard to keep Deception IV: Blood Ties from getting too graphically violent. Dismemberment, for example, is never shown. Because more than anything, we wanted it to feel rewarding when a trap combo is successful, and for this we felt it was necessary to achieve the right balance between serious and comical.

This emphasis on the feel of trap combos affected our decisions in all areas of the game’s development. For example, the way enemies react when hit by a trap had to be satisfying not only on its own, but as part of a chain of traps and reactions, which means we had to keep the flow of the combo as a whole in mind when designing the scale and tempo of each reaction.

Deception IV: Blood Ties

To be able to watch a victim stumbling around with a jack-o-lantern over his head, launched into the air by a springboard, knocked aside by a hammer, squished by a rolling boulder, and then finally attacked in the groin from underneath by a sharpened wooden horse is something that players can’t get from a comedy movie or TV program, so we wanted to make sure we did it right.

The difficulty of developing so many possibilities for different trap combinations in Deception IV: Blood Ties is more than words can express, but so is the happiness we feel when we see our fans’ enjoyment.

23 Comments

+ Gorvi on March 25th, 2014 at 9:03 am said:

I have it pre-ordered on the Vita and will be picking it up on my way home from work. I can’t wait! I still need to download Trapt, I missed that on the PS2, but I loved the three games on the PS1. The original Tecmo’s Deception is one of the games I came home with when I bought my original PS1 back in 1998. :)

+ EddyC__ on March 25th, 2014 at 9:06 am said:

Playing through TRAPT for the first time was quite the treat. Can’t wait to lay the traps on the go.

+ Viewtiful_Gene on March 25th, 2014 at 9:06 am said:

Insane puzzle fun. This will be on my radar for sure.

+ RiffyDivine on March 25th, 2014 at 9:12 am said:

When will this show up on psn

+ FifthDream on March 25th, 2014 at 9:28 am said:

This sounds really… interesting. I have to admit i know very little about the game and the series, but i’m very intrigued. I might just have to pick this up.

+ italodancemp3 on March 25th, 2014 at 10:02 am said:

Yeah could be cool I wanna order the physical version for my vita :)

+ markedman54 on March 25th, 2014 at 10:21 am said:

“we’ve worked hard to keep Deception IV: Blood Ties from getting too graphically violent. Dismemberment, for example, is never shown.”
Why, Why, Why would you do that?
I am really looking forward to this and am awaiting my pre-order.
This is really disappointing to hear. I hope you haven’t made it too cartoony.
I was looking forward to some over the top MK style deaths.

+ DecadanceFantasy on March 25th, 2014 at 10:24 am said:

Hey. It sounds like a interesting sort of game. I’ve never played any of the series. so I might pick this up for Vita one day.

+ genius527 on March 25th, 2014 at 10:38 am said:

That’s good for the ps3 and ps vita gamers that want a “new” game like this one. I’m a ps vita and a ps3 gamer(really ps3 gamer) and don’t really want to get this game. About to be a ps4 gamer when I get the “ps4″.

+ CCKM_01 on March 25th, 2014 at 11:20 am said:

So excited to play this game on my vita when comes by mail today. Got the guillotine and UFO bonus however it would be nice if the golden horse and high heel traps were available in Canada, will any of them be later released as DLC?

+ Souledge94 on March 25th, 2014 at 11:37 am said:

I wish there was an english dub for the game.

+ AriesWarlock on March 25th, 2014 at 11:44 am said:

“Dismemberment, for example, is never shown. ”

That’s disappointing. But I like these evil princesses not showing any mercy.

+ CrazyOza on March 25th, 2014 at 12:09 pm said:

Bought it for my Vita – Thank you for the japanese VA!

+ BlueBl1zzard on March 25th, 2014 at 12:58 pm said:

This does look really interesting. I just may have to pick this one up…

+ o-mistborn-o on March 25th, 2014 at 1:48 pm said:

@7, 12

Excessive graphic violence is a big no no in Japan. Developers there do not want a Z rating (adults only) on their games.

+ fallen_jibril on March 25th, 2014 at 4:05 pm said:

I can’t wait to get my copy in the mail. I have all the previous four games and I can’t wait for this fifth one.

+ markedman54 on March 26th, 2014 at 10:42 am said:

All right. Despite the lack of Excessive Violence and dismemberment. This is still a really cool game.

+ Jotamide on March 26th, 2014 at 10:28 pm said:

This game looks fun as hell, I wish it was priced more reasonable in Canada. :(

+ LobsterCopter on March 28th, 2014 at 9:34 am said:

Thank you for localizing this, but did you really have to censor the box art for the North American release?

+ metalx82 on March 29th, 2014 at 5:38 am said:

I want this game on PS4 or PS4 Store please :(

+ Crowlett-08 on March 29th, 2014 at 10:21 am said:

Kind of let down. Don’t get me wrong, I love deception, and will be grabbing this for ps3 later today, but my email newsletter from Sony shows this as a PS4 title. I got pretty pumped when I saw that. You may want to make sure the proper systems are shown with titles Sony !

+ TooLegit505 on March 29th, 2014 at 1:31 pm said:

I guess you guys are never going to get rid of PS Plus Vita games Uncharted, Wipeout, and Gravity Rush are you? I am so tired of seeing these games as free. Can’t you guys pick 3 more? Rotate them out? Something?
PLEASE GET THESE GAMES OFF PS PLUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ PrinceofXIII on March 30th, 2014 at 1:09 pm said: