PS4-The Order

Mercenary Kings Out Today on PS4

Yannick Belzil's Avatar + Posted by Yannick Belzil on Apr 01, 2014 // Writer, Tribute Games

Mercenary Kings for PS4

Here it is! The most anticipated day of 2014 from all of us at Tribute Games: the launch of Mercenary Kings on PS4!

It’s a thrill for us to finally share this labor of love (and explosions, tanks, maniacal warlords…) with all of you. Mercenary Kings air drops you into a colorful world of stylized, cartoonish warfare. When the Cybernetic Loyalist Active Weapon clan (CLAW) steals the Mandrake Formula, capable of reshaping any living thing into a dangerous weapon, King and Empress are sent in to retrieve it. CLAW’s leader, Commander Byron Baron — aided with his dog Alpha and a cloned army of miscreants — controls the entire laboratory base of Mandragora Island and seeks to make it the birthplace of a new, terrifying age.

Assisted by their own crew of experts, the Kings take on a multitude of missions where they must slice and blast their way through Baron’s band of bad guys, retrieve the formula, and save global peace.

Mercenary Kings for PS4Mercenary Kings for PS4

Mercenary Kings might feel like something from the 16-bit past, but — like the Kings’ weapons — it’s crafted with brand new pieces into an explosive, modern package. Vanquished enemies drop a variety of materials that you can later craft into almost anything to give you an edge against CLAW. You can build with more than 300 firearm parts to mix and match into any weapon you can think of.

Build a scary-looking rifle, or a toilet-shaped machine gun. Or forge impressive or incredibly silly blades. Scavenged parts can be made into stronger armor, or turned into bio-mods, upgrading your mercenary’s strengths and reducing his weaknesses. Fruits from the jungle become ability-granting meals. Mercenary Kings’ boasts IMMENSE crafting mechanics that spread throughout the gameplay.

The areas in which you find these materials are not mere obstacle courses, but huge environments in which you can explore and find new treasures, fulfill secret mission objectives, hunt massive bosses, or find hidden resistance operatives.

Mercenary Kings for PS4

Sometimes, a mission might just seem TOO BIG for one mercenary. But that’s no problem, because Mercenary Kings offers multiplayer options (both online and local) and three other mercenaries can join in on the CLAW-smashing fun. Is there a better way to cement friendship than going out and toppling a madman’s empire? We don’t think so.

Do you want to join the fight against Commander Baron? Mercenary Kings is available for PS4 on PlayStation Store today! Time to grab a controller and get ready to kick some CLAW!

PAGE 1 2 3

+ Kieferw on April 1st, 2014 at 10:01 am said:

I love the gifs!

Yannick Belzil's Avatar

+ Ryan Clements on April 1st, 2014 at 10:03 am said:

Right?!

+ mrEkli on April 1st, 2014 at 10:03 am said:

Looks so awesome. Can’t wait for the PSN update to pick this up.

Yannick Belzil's Avatar

+ Ryan Clements on April 1st, 2014 at 10:12 am said:

Woohoo!

+ anti-altair16 on April 1st, 2014 at 10:06 am said:

Agreed with Kieferw. The gifs are awesome especially the last one. I saw a rabbit gun and said what even?! Going to send that gif to my friends so they can come over today and we can co-op it up! Hopefully there’s 4 player local and hopefully this game supports trophies for all accounts! Only The Playroom gives trophies to people when it comes to local co-op games which is disappointing. I wanted to platinum Lego Marvel with my brother.

Yannick Belzil's Avatar

+ Ryan Clements on April 1st, 2014 at 10:11 am said:

A Mercenary Kings party?! Sounds like so much fun.

Yannick Belzil's Avatar

+ Yannick Belzil on April 1st, 2014 at 10:14 am said:

The game supports both local and online multiplayer!

+ Sum-Mischief on April 1st, 2014 at 10:06 am said:

Cant wait till the store updates ….!

+ JeRzYzFyNeSt on April 1st, 2014 at 10:07 am said:

i was planing on buying it ill take it free

+ ASC2175 on April 1st, 2014 at 10:07 am said:

YAY! MOAR DESTRUCTION!

+ SteamboatSilly on April 1st, 2014 at 10:09 am said:

The store needs to update already!

+ Anddo on April 1st, 2014 at 10:09 am said:

Gifs are a stroke genius.

I’m looking forward to playing this later today.

+ Macello on April 1st, 2014 at 10:11 am said:

Please give me a different game for free so that I can pay money for this like I planned. :D

Also, thank you for the platinum.

+ Heat_Bandits on April 1st, 2014 at 10:12 am said:

uhh anyone know when the store will update with it????? Anyone have it yet?

+ Clay_Davis83 on April 1st, 2014 at 10:15 am said:

Been waiting for this one! Can’t wait to play it tonight!!!

+ souporman on April 1st, 2014 at 10:19 am said:

Reminds me so much of Metal Slug. Can’t wait to check this out!

+ Johnny_Dark_ on April 1st, 2014 at 10:19 am said:

It is in the store right now if you search for it but is not free for playstation plus subscribers yet, so BE CAREFUL unless you really mean to pay $19.99 before it updates to Free for PS+ subscribers

+ GeoDarky on April 1st, 2014 at 10:20 am said:

What an awesome game thank you Tribute Games for bringing this to PS4 looking forward from you guys i like your style :)

+ Ryumoau on April 1st, 2014 at 10:20 am said:

I can’t wait to play this! This really really amazing for an indie game and the amount of weapon customization is incredible. i just hope its not overly difficult like the classic sidescrollers from the past used to be. :/

+ reekeecast on April 1st, 2014 at 10:22 am said:

I’d so play this!! If my PS4 wasn’t broken. :(

+ JMBlakk on April 1st, 2014 at 10:23 am said:

Would have brought this game (need a reason to use my ps card). Can’t wait to get back home to play this. I have my PS4 on stand-by to download this from school. So Excited!!!!!!!!!
Also, make DLC so I can pay for that. hint. more levels

+ CrusaderForever on April 1st, 2014 at 10:28 am said:

YES!!!! The day is here! I cannot wait to download this game! My son and I are going to have so much fun. This will be some major nostalgia for me but by the sounds of it with a modern flair added for good measure. Thanks Sony and Tribute Games!

+ MOE-GUNZ-JACKSON on April 1st, 2014 at 10:30 am said:

Been waiting for this game since I heard about it. Soooooooo how about that store update?

+ dodgedoors on April 1st, 2014 at 10:32 am said:

Did I see a gun with a cat holding a gun?

Yannick Belzil's Avatar

+ Yannick Belzil on April 1st, 2014 at 10:39 am said:

YES! Those cats fear a future without yarn!

+ Angelshadow_7 on April 1st, 2014 at 10:33 am said:

SO EXCITED FOR THIS GAME!! I grow with the Metal Slug and when Playmore got them, the saga was ruined until they end it. this should be the new arcade for the new generations to grow into! Definitively giving it a try.

I would love to have a link to go a provide my feedback and thoughts on this, I’m sure will be, fantastic experience to help the franchise grow and develop. Thank you for tributing all this awesome games.

THANK YOU THANK YOU! <3

+ the_FREELANCER on April 1st, 2014 at 10:33 am said:

I’ve been planning on buying this game for months, I feel bad that I’m getting it for free… Hope there will be some DLC that I can throw money at!

+ CrusaderForever on April 1st, 2014 at 10:34 am said:

Mercenary Kings is on the store now, however it’s not free for PS+ yet. So close! :)

+ CrusaderForever on April 1st, 2014 at 10:35 am said:

Also, can’t wait to try this with VRP as well!

+ CommandingTiger on April 1st, 2014 at 10:36 am said:

This game is a game I wanted for a long time.

+ saab01 on April 1st, 2014 at 10:36 am said:

I wish the store would update now so I could start playing this. It’s looking cool in its own way.

+ naDOOFUS on April 1st, 2014 at 10:37 am said:

At first glance I thought that was a Rainblower in the last gif, nope trombone gun.

+ kingfoot on April 1st, 2014 at 10:40 am said:

Do we get to name the guns we make? Nothin’ better than kickin’ butt with the “Peace Breaker”!

+ GrieverPR on April 1st, 2014 at 10:45 am said:

Beyond!

+ Souledge94 on April 1st, 2014 at 10:46 am said:

Only beef I have with the game is theres only 2 character modles to pick from. Heck even metal slug had 4 I believe.

+ JonJonXD on April 1st, 2014 at 10:48 am said:

I can’t wait to check this out!

As a Kickstarter backer, I am even more excited to play this on my PS4!

+ ZAANOS on April 1st, 2014 at 10:50 am said:

My body isn’t prepared for such awesomeness.

+ Welmosca on April 1st, 2014 at 10:53 am said:

The girl…The Empress is the coolest…..pretty nice game…looks really fun…this is one of the games that I’m really looking forward to try out when I eventually buy a PS4.

+ DatKid16 on April 1st, 2014 at 11:00 am said:

Anyone trying to get a co op team going? I’m definitely looking forward to this. I almost want to pay the $20 but that would be foolish of me when it will be free any time now. Do anyone know what time Sony usually updates?

+ italodancemp3 on April 1st, 2014 at 11:03 am said:

The question is why not on Vita?

+ XeahuleXolic on April 1st, 2014 at 11:06 am said:

thank you!! I can see the game i am just waiting for the PS+ to update with the store

+ WhyUMadKid on April 1st, 2014 at 11:08 am said:

I see it on the store but when I’m I able to download it for free

+ RagingMexicano87 on April 1st, 2014 at 11:17 am said:

@Yannick Belzil any word of the possibility of you guys bringing Mercenary Kings over to ps vita??? I think it would suit the Vita very well, sadly I won’t be able to play it since I dont own a ps4 :(

Yannick Belzil's Avatar

+ Yannick Belzil on April 1st, 2014 at 11:38 am said:

Bringing the game on Vita is a very popular demand and one we’d love to bring it there.

+ JnF_Gho5t on April 1st, 2014 at 11:40 am said:

See it on the store but not able to download it. Hopefully it will release on PS3 and Vita as well because it looks great.

+ TwinDad on April 1st, 2014 at 11:40 am said:

Looks like a blast to play. I remember so many fun nights of co-op on metal slugs on the neogeo.

+ ca11m3daddy771 on April 1st, 2014 at 11:42 am said:

when will this game be for free it says 20 bucks on mine?

+ NinjaTurtledon on April 1st, 2014 at 11:43 am said:

Anyone else seeing the game now and it doesn’t say it’s free for playstation plus users?

+ Sandbox1989 on April 1st, 2014 at 11:48 am said:

Go to the “Whats New” tab all the way to the left on your ps4 main screen. Look for the “Free games in april” box which shows merc kings. This will allow you to get the game free, right now, 14:47 ET.

+ Orejillz on April 1st, 2014 at 11:48 am said:

I’ve actually been looking forward to this game since they first revealed it. Looks like Contra meets Metal Slug meets Idk what else, can’t wait

+ hardhitterburrel on April 1st, 2014 at 11:53 am said:

All I see is we have to pay for it! Impatiently waiting for it to go free!

+ MOE-GUNZ-JACKSON on April 1st, 2014 at 11:54 am said:

@43

You nailed it. Use the “What’s New” section and find “Free games in April” and click buy now (it’ll show that it’s free).

+ Desol2344 on April 1st, 2014 at 11:57 am said:

They showed no mercy

+ NinjaTurtledon on April 1st, 2014 at 12:00 pm said:

Nope still broken on mine shows free till I add it to cart

+ Ghost_Faded on April 1st, 2014 at 12:01 pm said:

go to your homescreen on your ps4 were it shows all your games and apps..Go all the way to the left “whats new” and go down click were it shows the mercenary tailer an click th box on the right reads free. its gnna say to purchase but its 0 $.

+ Svc-Abdul on April 1st, 2014 at 12:02 pm said:

Sony should consider doing the store updates earlier in the day

PAGE 1 2 3