No Man's Sky

Ragnarok Odyssey ACE Out Today for PS3, PS Vita

Ryan Graff's Avatar + Posted by Ryan Graff on Apr 01, 2014 // Localization, XSEED Games

Ragnarok Odyssey ACE on PS3 and PS Vita is a game about slaying giants, and now that we’re finally at launch, some of us feel like we’ve fought one ourselves!

Not just because it’s a large game, although it certainly is. ACE is a massively expanded version of the original Ragnarok Odyssey, with enough new content to make it about twice the size this time around. The most prominent new feature is a 400-story tower, with enough monsters and new story content to fill it; you’ll see that once you reach the original game’s ending, which is now the new game’s midpoint. Throughout the game, you’ll also discover new character skills, new weapon types, new NPC sidekicks, and a slew of other new features and conveniences.

ACE is the first Ragnarok Odyssey game to appear on PS3 as well as PSVita, with readily available cross play (for up to four players) and cross saving between the two. The game also allows players to import their save data from the original Ragnarok Odyssey, bringing over their character’s name, appearance, and cards (except for any cards equipped on their outfit or acquired through NEAR) for a new trip through the expanded game.

The game’s developers, GameArts and GungHo, had to rewrite much of their infrastructure just to make those features possible (which is one of several reasons why ACE couldn’t have been a regular DLC pack). On our end, making all those features available in North America has involved extensive QA, bulk data entry, and working side by side with PlayStation every step of the way. (On that note, thanks to everybody on the PlayStation team who helped us through the process!)

Ragnarok Odyssey Ace on PS3 and PS VitaRagnarok Odyssey Ace on PS3 and PS Vita

At launch, you’ll see a dozen different available downloadable packs in the ACE section of PlayStation Store. Seven of those packs are costume pieces from the original Ragnarok Odyssey; if you’ve played the original, and you already own one or more of those packs, you’ll be able to re-download those same packs you already own for free in the new game*, as a “thank you” for coming back. (Newcomers can pick up those seven packs for $0.99 per pack.)

There are also five other packs available at launch: two extensive collections of musical tracks (both free forever), a collection of costume pieces from Grandia (also free forever), and two other costume downloads, the Royal Ball Outfit Set and the Gorgeous Headwear Set, both of which will be free for the first two months as a bonus to early adopters.

We’re on schedule to release three or four packs of absolutely free DLC every week from the start of April until the start of June. Each of those weekly releases will include one set of licensed costumes from various other games, plus two or three other goodies, such as other costume pieces or special quests.

All those things together have built up to a fair-sized mountain of a project — at least by the standards of a small company like ours — but we’ve only got a little time for a breather before the next step comes our way. Very soon, we’ll be working with the developers and PlayStation to bring you a major content patch for ACE, which will include new server-based quests, daily login bonuses, leaderboards, a new boss rush mode called Prison of the Gods, and a variety of other features, most of which will be accessible from the Norn Exchange in-game.

Ragnarok Odyssey Ace on PS3 and PS Vita

We’d like to thank new fans and those returning for checking the game out, and we hope you enjoy all the shiny new features and hefty new content. Ragnarok Odyssey ACE debuts today, in both physical and digital form, for PS3 ($39.99) and PS Vita ($34.99 for digital, $39.99 for the first print-run Launch Edition physical version — which includes a nice soundtrack CD). Happy hunting!

*We’d like to clarify previously released information regarding the seven costume packs from the original game: Each of those seven packs is only free if a player already owns the original game’s version of that specific pack. Our apologies the information was not clear when we initially announced it.

PAGE 1 2

+ Groenner on April 1st, 2014 at 9:12 am said:

Finally!!!!!

+ Groenner on April 1st, 2014 at 9:13 am said:

I`ve been waiting forever for this release. Awesome game!!!

+ Ryan Graff on April 1st, 2014 at 10:45 am said:

Thanks! Hope you enjoy it!

+ Ryumoau on April 1st, 2014 at 9:14 am said:

Game looks like it has some interesting new additions but its really sad that you guys couldn’t work with Sony to give people like me who bought the original day one on psn, a discount on the ACE version. :(

+ Blamefulgecko on April 1st, 2014 at 9:15 am said:

I know the game has Cross-Play, but if I buy both copies does it support Cross-Save?

+ Ryan Graff on April 1st, 2014 at 9:24 am said:

Absolutely!

+ Ryumoau on April 1st, 2014 at 9:15 am said:

Also, why the heck isn’t the ps3 digital version discounted like the vita? Digital versions of games shouldn’t cost the same as retail, it just doesn’t make any sense.

+ Ryan Graff on April 1st, 2014 at 9:47 am said:

Fair question. The short answer is we wanted to do something to thank returning Vita players (keeping in mind that the original Ragnarok Odyssey was Vita-only), so we discounted the Vita digital version, at $5 lower than the usual $39.99, and gave the Vita retail version the bonus soundtrack.

We usually keep the pricing the same between the digital and retail versions, mainly because they each have their pluses and minuses (both for players and for us on the back end). Sometimes we price the retail and digital versions differently, but only when one version or the other has some extra bonus.

Hope that makes sense.

+ Ryumoau on April 1st, 2014 at 9:22 am said:

I just read that you plan to release licensed costumes. I really hope one is an outfit of Virginia Maxwell from Wild Arms 3! I’m a huge wild arms fan and would love to relive memories from that series even if its just through simple outfits. :)

+ Ryan Graff on April 1st, 2014 at 9:27 am said:

We’ve got eight different licenses for the DLC costumes in ACE, but I’m sorry to say the Wild Arms series isn’t one of them. I know; I love Wild Arms too, the first game was one of the first games I bought for my PS1, and I hope we do get another Wild Arms game in someday. We do have a pretty good mix of licensed costumes, though, so hopefully some of them will be from other games you enjoy.

+ ChrisHighwind on April 1st, 2014 at 9:23 am said:

Will those who own the original game get any bonuses in terms of buying the game?

…Of course not, silly me for thinking that.

+ beamstrike on April 1st, 2014 at 9:46 am said:

and now the most painful wait for the store to update so i can download it…

+ AnoyoIkari on April 1st, 2014 at 9:54 am said:

Man this game looks great! I just have such a pre existing backlog on my Vita already; I just can’t bring myself to spend anymore money right now. Once I finish one or two, this is a definite purchase for me.

+ Cooper-588 on April 1st, 2014 at 9:59 am said:

Im having such a hard time deciding what platform to get it on, though if i wanna port my character guess i have to get it on the vita

+ Ryan Graff on April 1st, 2014 at 10:10 am said:

Ah, to clarify, you can indeed port your character from the original Ragnarok Odyssey to either the PS3 or the Vita version. Just boot up the original game, make sure it’s patched up to version 1.02, make sure the save data you want to transfer is present, and then choose “Backup” from the main menu. Then boot up ACE (either the PS3 or Vita) version, choose “Import,” and your character will start off in the new game, with his or her name, appearance, and cards (excluding equipped or NEAR-acquired cards) intact.

+ DarkHowl on April 1st, 2014 at 10:05 am said:

@Ryan Graff: I only somewhat understand your reasoning in response to Ryumoau (comment #5). Some of us that played since Day 1 on Vita would like to get it on PS3… So the people who supported the first release who would love to get it on a console instead this time around get stiffed unless they continue to play on Vita? The $4-5 discount is almost standard on many digital Vita titles anyway so the only real bonus is the CD if you buy retail. You would think publishers would be a little more accommodating for what is a full price (for Vita anyway) repackaging with a DLC scenario and cross play.

Anyway, a legitimate question: Is there a way to get your save from vanilla Odyssey from the in-game cloud and transfer it to PS3? Or anyway to transfer it to PS3 without also buying ACE on Vita for that matter? I’d be willing to give the game a shot down the road on a future digital sale if so.

+ Ryan Graff on April 1st, 2014 at 10:13 am said:

Hi DarkHowl,

In answer to your first point, there’s more new content than you might think; the Tower, and all the game’s extra features and enhancements, amount to about as much content as the entire original game.

As for your question: You absolutely can transfer your save from the original Odyssey directly to the PS3 version of ACE. See the reply to Cooper-588’s comment #10, above, for details.

+ Yusuk3_Takashi on April 1st, 2014 at 10:09 am said:

Any date for launch in South America?

+ Ryan Graff on April 1st, 2014 at 10:20 am said:

Depends on where you live in South America, but you might be in luck: We’ve launched in Chile, Brazil, Peru, Columbia, and Argentina as of today. We haven’t yet worked out arrangements to launch in other South American countries, but we’re always looking for chances to expand.

+ Ryan Graff on April 1st, 2014 at 12:02 pm said:

Sorry; “Colombia,” not “Columbia.”

+ AVahne on April 1st, 2014 at 10:10 am said:

I want to get the digital version, however I don’t yet have a memory card :(
I almost expected a prank about releasing the 64 GB memory card over here today, but it’d be cool if you could actually release it.

+ DarkHowl on April 1st, 2014 at 10:25 am said:

@Ryan Graff: Thank you for your time and answer to my question. Guess I’m a little bitter about games in this genre being constantly re-released with more content. :( Between MonHun, Soul Sacrifice, Ragnarok, and news today of Toukiden doing the same, it gets a tad irritating to fall for it time and time again. If what you say is right, I’ll wait for reviews/player opinions and decide if this will be a full price or a sale price purchase.

On that note, does XSeed have any plans or looking into localizing the new Toukiden? I loved the demo you guys put out but was afraid of a re-release like that so I put it off. I’d love to pick up the new one on Day 1 if so. :)

+ Ryan Graff on April 1st, 2014 at 10:41 am said:

Hmm, looks like a different publisher has the rights to Toukiden in North America. (Not sure if I’m allowed to mention them by name here, so I’ll just say they rhyme with “Kecmo-Toei.”) Couldn’t say offhand what their plans are for the new version, but you can always ask them. :)

+ xClayMeow on April 1st, 2014 at 10:41 am said:

Is there any chance of a demo? I’ve never played Ragnarok Odyssey and interested to see how it plays and runs on the Vita.

+ Ryan Graff on April 1st, 2014 at 10:44 am said:

We do have a demo coming up, for both the PS3 and PS Vita versions. The demo won’t be out right away, but should be available for download sometime around the middle of next month.

+ DarkHowl on April 1st, 2014 at 10:50 am said:

Dawwwww! D: I could have sworn you guys at XSeed did Toukiden here in the States. More or less because you guys are great with picking up the localization of good games like Last Story, Ragnarok, and Killer is Dead. :) Ah well.

+ oversevethousand on April 1st, 2014 at 11:07 am said:

Will both versions have demos like how the original did?

+ Ryan Graff on April 1st, 2014 at 11:21 am said:

Yep, we’ll have demos for both versions out sometime in May.

+ Teflon02 on April 1st, 2014 at 11:09 am said:

I have the download of the original and can’t afford to rebuy this. Wish I could have a deal where I cangive up my psn version and pay 10 or so dollars to upgrade. Ohh well, I’ll just have to hope ppl still go online when I get it later in the year, if I do

+ ViideagleiiV on April 1st, 2014 at 11:14 am said:

kind of new to the game and ima buy it when the store updates, quick question can i change my class multiple times in game?do i have to stick with one class? other than that can’t wait to play!

+ Ryan Graff on April 1st, 2014 at 11:19 am said:

Thanks, hope you enjoy it! And yes, once you get a few chapters into the game, you’ll gain the ability to change your class in between missions.

+ xClayMeow on April 1st, 2014 at 11:46 am said:

Thanks, Ryan! I’ll definitely check out the Vita demo when it’s released. Looks like a sweet game!

+ FluffyStyle on April 1st, 2014 at 11:51 am said:

is there any clue on when the europe version gets released

+ Ryan Graff on April 1st, 2014 at 12:19 pm said:

Ah, GungHo (the game’s developer) is handling the European release themselves. They haven’t announced a release date yet, but you can always ask them for any new updates.

+ azeelio on April 1st, 2014 at 12:10 pm said:

When you say equipped cards, does that mean cards currently equipped to armor? Or just armor-specific cards (eg. Holy Avenger card)

Just double checking because for the imported/asian release, the cards currently equipped to armor (eg. Scorpion Hammer card atk5/5) could transfer with no problems. Their exclusion was just the armor-specific cards + neared cards. I don’t want to spend time de-equipping cards when I don’t have to :D

And another question, do the upcoming patches have dates ;)?

Thanks!

+ Ryan Graff on April 1st, 2014 at 12:13 pm said:

As far as I understand it, it’s that any cards currently equipped to armor won’t transfer over; since the armor itself won’t transfer over, any cards on that armor stay behind with it.

No solid date yet for the upcoming content patches (both of which will be released in North America as one big patch instead of two small ones), but you shouldn’t have to wait more than a couple of months, if all goes well.

+ FireCage on April 1st, 2014 at 12:30 pm said:

omg finaly!

was hopping for a long time that this game would come on PS3 =)

+ FluffyStyle on April 1st, 2014 at 12:36 pm said:

@Ryan Graff to bad Gungho aint replying to any questions regarding Ragnarok odyssey ace on their facebook page

+ Tinye310 on April 1st, 2014 at 12:45 pm said:

I bought this because I love XSEED and the game semi-reminded me of PSO and this seems like the perfect game on the Vita. I have never played any Ragnarok game but so far pretty fun. I bought the launch edition because I love soundtracks! I hope to continue playing this game for a long time if it’s as jam packed as you guys say it is!

Great work and keep it up!

+ Frodomec on April 1st, 2014 at 1:22 pm said:

That’s the kind of game that PS VITA needs! Thanks XSeeD! Keep it up! Gonna buy it at full price! You diserve it! LONG LIFE PS VITA!!!

+ Francis-F0X on April 1st, 2014 at 2:21 pm said:

I’m not sure if I want to buy this game, I get the first release, it was actually one of my very first games of Vita, the whole start over from dust isn’t charming me too much though and so the re-buying the game. How much contain get added compared to the first game? How much new levels? How many new bosses and how the gameplay had changed?

+ Ryan Graff on April 1st, 2014 at 2:28 pm said:

The main new attraction is the Tower of Yggdrasil, which is 400 floors tall, full of new monsters and bosses. In terms of the gameplay, the different classes each have a number of new skills designed to enhance their roles in multiplayer, you can hire NPC mercenaries in single player, there’s a new type of weapon that grows as your character does, and there are other enhancements too. More details here, if you’d like to see:

+ Dusean17 on April 1st, 2014 at 2:41 pm said:

And playing it right now, preordered this baby and as you can tell from my avatar I love it.

+ capcom-zero1 on April 1st, 2014 at 3:13 pm said:

Does the game have online co-op for ps3 ?

+ LiddoJunior on April 1st, 2014 at 3:17 pm said:

Just got this in the mail. Got the vita version, for the ost.
Now will wait to get the ps3 version. :)

+ Anibalstar on April 1st, 2014 at 3:30 pm said:

I am really inclined to purchase, I had a deal breaker question though…Are the characters bound to on specific weapon? For example, can cleric/wizard wield 2 hand sword or two handed daggers? Or are they just locked to staves, rods?

+ Ryan Graff on April 1st, 2014 at 5:05 pm said:

Yes and no; different classes use different weapon types, but once you advance a few chapters into the game, you gain the ability to change your class any time you’re back at base.

+ MrZ_2010 on April 1st, 2014 at 3:54 pm said:

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!! LOVE IT!!!!
・ω・

+ clonetrooper567 on April 1st, 2014 at 4:27 pm said:

is the dead or alive costume pack one of the coming DLC?

+ Mobius2525 on April 1st, 2014 at 4:44 pm said:

thanks xseed will buy when i get paid.

+ ehafh on April 1st, 2014 at 6:52 pm said:

CROSS PLAY and CROSS SAVE are currently broken.
please patch them or fix it ASAP!

you get a missing dlc error when trying to join PS3 hosted lobbies with a vita, or joining vita hosted lobbies with a ps3.
there is some kind of incompatibility.

it would seem that the dlc on the vita downloads unlock paid content, like the gun fighter outfit.

it would be cool to get some free dlc codes for pointing out this error.
paid for 2 copies of the game and deleted my first character for science :/
i expect nothing.. but please fix this error ASAP

+ Ryan Graff on April 1st, 2014 at 7:45 pm said:

We’re looking into the cause of the bug right now. We believe it comes from having one specific DLC package on both versions. We’ll have more to say soon. Good news is it should be fixable, if the cause is what we think it is.

+ Ryan Graff on April 1st, 2014 at 8:27 pm said:

Update: We believe the issue comes from the Vita version of the “Ragnarok Odyssey Collection,” the collection of 115 musical tracks and various costume pieces. We’re working on a fix right away; in the meantime, please don’t download the Vita version of this pack (and if you have both versions and plan on cross saving, please don’t download either version of the pack). We’ll make a larger announcement when we have more info to share.

+ JK_Dragonite on April 2nd, 2014 at 12:27 am said:

I played the demo for the first game and really like it, so I’m downloading this one right now.
I’m really excited to play it, but I do wish there was more flexibility in equipment choice.

+ StalkerD on April 2nd, 2014 at 2:12 am said:

I really like XSeed posts. You guys take so much time to answer most questions and comments posted. That is extremely nice of you, specially considering when it is very common here to get very few replies. Keep up the good work!!

+ MakaiOokami on April 2nd, 2014 at 3:56 am said:

I’m playing FFXIV.

Not going to pay 75 dollars just to not play the FFXIV sub I’m paying for. If it was cross-buy I’d consider it, but why bother? I might pick up the original on sale, and get these 2 when they’re really cheap on sale.

So you lost my sale at least. Here’s the issue why. My friend plays it on Vita, I’d most likely play it on PS3. It supports Cross-Save and Cross-Play but if we both bring our Vitas to work, to play, I’d have to pay extra because I want to play the PS3 version instead when at home.

People keep saying the Vita is dead. While I disagree with that statement, with all the doom and gloom you’d probably lose more sales from not having Cross-buy than you’ll gain by having people double dip in my opinion.

+ FreedomX10 on April 2nd, 2014 at 8:56 am said:

Had my copy pre-ordered since the day pre-orders were available, it’s been really frustrating, but it was totally worth the wait. I never actually played odyssey, I’m a Monster Hunter fan though, and I know my fair share of IRO. Its EXACTLY what I expected and by no means is that a bad thing. Awesome Game. Anyone who wants to get down add me n let me know what’s up.

+ FreedomX10 on April 2nd, 2014 at 9:07 am said:

And I agree with StalkerD, You guys really are on top of things. Much Appreciated!

+ naoplox on April 2nd, 2014 at 10:20 am said:

Any reason PS4 owners aren’t getting any games like this? all im seeing released for PS4 owners are old school arcade shooters if i wanted that id stuck with my NES ?

+ SeriousComedy on April 2nd, 2014 at 2:30 pm said:

Any estimates on when we’ll receive patch 1.02 ?

My version is still stuck at 1.01, and I cannot retrieve a backup from the server since the versions don’t match.

+ Ryan Graff on April 2nd, 2014 at 2:51 pm said:

Hmm, is this a backup from the original Ragnarok Odyssey, or have you used the backed-up file in ACE yet? Also, are you on PS Vita or PS3 in ACE? (And just to confirm, are we talking about the in-game server or the PS Plus server?)

+ SeriousComedy on April 2nd, 2014 at 3:02 pm said:

This is actually a Ragnarok Odyssey ACE save on the GungHo R3 version. I’m not sure myself if saves from different regional version can carry over. I did see though that the Restore function detects my backup on the in-game server, but says “Save data on the server is from a newer version of the game. Unable to download.”

R3 RO Ace is at 1.02, while RO Ace NA is at 1.01. This got me thinking that if the versions match, the save can carry over.

+ Ryan Graff on April 2nd, 2014 at 3:25 pm said:

Ah, thanks for the info. We do have a 1.02 patch planned, although it’s a couple of months away. As for cross-regional saves, as far as I understand it, you can transfer save data between North America and Europe (possibly South America too), but apparently not with Japan or the rest of Asia, unfortunately.

+ Ryan Graff on April 17th, 2014 at 11:41 am said:

To update this, we’ve received word that after the 1.10 patch arrives, none of the regions will be cross-compatible anymore, unfortunately. Different regions are getting different updates for different reasons, which means they’ll be too far apart from one another to play together, sorry to say.

+ SeriousComedy on April 2nd, 2014 at 3:33 pm said:

Thank you for the information. I really appreciate it when a company addresses these things personally, and quickly too.

If it takes a few months for the patches to come, then I might as well just play to build my character again. Enjoy the game as I’m supposed to. Now on the note of patches, I’m curious about the 1.10 and 1.20 updates, which I believe will bring over what only Japan has so far, the daily special events, Old Card album, and the Aesir Stockade, along with some other things.

Are these also estimated to release a maybe 2-3 months from now, or later? One of the main draws to me of buying the NA version, are these updates which even R3 doesn’t have, but NA apparently will.

+ Jeremy6090 on April 2nd, 2014 at 3:41 pm said:

Are there dreadlocks as a hairstyle in the game?

+ tusunami on April 2nd, 2014 at 4:31 pm said:

So this is the definitive version of the first game with alot of new content. At some point i will get this soon.

+ Tirekyll on April 3rd, 2014 at 4:26 pm said:

sounds great that this is coming to the PlayStation 3.

+ Lezil_Dark on April 3rd, 2014 at 5:48 pm said:

would love to see a couple things

*ability to start a group, start a quest, and another able to join mid quest. even if they dont get credit for that round.. anythings better than having to wait 15 min for someone who is on a quest similar to yours.

quick match – auto match players by similar game progression. — if your in quest 5.1 and start a game – anyone within 5 levels (5.1 – 5.6) should be able to just hop in.

having to wait around time and time again if a teammate leaves is going to be the downfall for me, when the servers are mature and less people are on it would be nice to be in the middle of a game and see people join in.

=) just some ideas

+ ChaosInvokerX on April 4th, 2014 at 4:08 pm said:

Very disappointed!
This game was great, played over 30 hours and made it to ch 8. Then I decided to get the PS3 version and use the cross save feature. It didn’t read my save file and when I loaded it back to the Vita I had to start over. Lost my 30+ hours of gameplay and kinda upset right now as I wasted one of my few weeks off from a very busy workload and won’t be able to make up for the progress for a few months and I’m afraid of using the cross save feature now too!

I hear it has to do with the fact that the Vita DLC interferes with the save file as the PS3 doesn’t have the same DLC. But I don’t know how to remove it from my Vita now that its on there and the damage is done!!

How much longer until this issue is fixed as I’m not a very happy customer right now…
Also is it possible to download a save file or have DLC that gives me a head start as I really don’t want to spend the next 20+ hours over the next 4 to 6 months catching up to where I got this week!

If it makes it easier I was a Mage and mostly used cards that raised HP Def and Attack!

PAGE 1 2