PS4 - Transistor

Second Son Update Incoming: Change Time of Day, HUD Off, 30FPS Option

Brian Fleming's Avatar + Posted by Brian Fleming on Apr 01, 2014 // Sucker Punch Productions

Ten days.

That’s how long it’s been since I went to the midnight launch of Second Son here in Bellevue, Washington (just outside Seattle). I must have talked to over 100 people there, and so many more on social media and forums, Twitter, NeoGAF, etc. since then. It’s been amazing to see the excitement and passion of inFAMOUS fans, new and old. I want to let you all know how much your enthusiasm and support means to us, how it renews us, and readies us to go try to make even better games in the future.

inFAMOUS Second Son

We also want you to know that we listen to your complaints. Some big, some small, but we take them all to heart. We never want to lose sight of how important it is that we listen to all of you. We can always be better.

So to say thanks, not just for all the support but also for your passionate requests to make the game better, we’ve started work on a few small features which we’ll be delivering in the weeks to come.

Change Time-of-Day

Once you beat the game, a new entry will appear on the options menu to allow you to select the time of day! A very popular request indeed, and one we’re excited to enable for you all.

HUD On/Off

Especially for those amazingly talented screenshot taking folks, we’re including an option to let you turn the HUD on and off.

Cap at 30FPS

Internally we prefer the unlocked frame rate, but we recognize that some players find it distressing. So we’ll provide a way to ensure the game is not bumping up over 30FPS, if that’s how you prefer to play.

inFAMOUS Second Son

Of course, our coders and QA team are working to try to identify and resolve key bugs, and we’ll look at incorporating important fixes in the patch too. And who knows… if we’re inspired enough, we may sneak a few other little things in too. Time will tell!

We’re all working hard to release these updates as soon as we can. Time-wise, the earliest we could have the patch and new features ready is about two weeks from now, so stay tuned for another update — we’ll let you know as soon as they’re ready to go live. Until then, keep fighting the D.U.P., keep sharing your awesome screenshots (#PS4share on Twitter), and enjoy your powers!

+ Grindhead_Jim on April 1st, 2014 at 10:00 am said:

I love the game. These new features add value for me. That is all.

+ bloodbath666 on April 1st, 2014 at 10:03 am said:

It’s still April 1st. I think I’ll wait until tomorrow before I believe this.

+ steele311 on April 1st, 2014 at 10:09 am said:

BRING ON SOME DLC!!! …please! The game is terrific. Thanks so much for adding new/more content. You’re gaining many new fans, like myself in doing so!

+ MakoSoul on April 1st, 2014 at 10:13 am said:

I am digging Infamous: SS, but the black and white morality system has to go.

+ Encagra on April 1st, 2014 at 10:14 am said:

Could we please get a New Game +? I’m stoked that SP is listening to their fans. I hope they’ll also consider adding a New Game + so we can replay with all of our unlocked powers from the start.

+ Solid-Snake-Eyes on April 1st, 2014 at 10:28 am said:

The unstable framerate really bothers me, it makes the game feel like i has bad performance, so this is absolutely great news. I’ll save my second playthrough until this becomes available.

+ Zepherj on April 1st, 2014 at 10:28 am said:

Thank you guys! I love playing this game at night and would love to play with all the powers at night because it looks amazing.

+ Aided_Onslaught on April 1st, 2014 at 10:29 am said:

I just want to be able to press the touch pad to go directly to the map.

+ CommandingTiger on April 1st, 2014 at 10:38 am said:

How bout fixing my game?

+ Sammael_ on April 1st, 2014 at 10:46 am said:

Thank you for a great game!

I have a feature request: skipping cutscenes (possible at least when you beat the game). Adding some shortcuts would be also great: pressing/holding touchpad for map, dpad (up?) for power upgrades screen.

Brian Fleming's Avatar

+ Ken Schramm on April 1st, 2014 at 2:26 pm said:

Lots going on behind the scenes during many cutscenes (loading/setting Time of Day) so not easy to skip unfortunately.

+ JonJonXD on April 1st, 2014 at 10:49 am said:

I’m loving the support coming to this game.

I want Paper Trail to get its second mission already!

+ Olavo_Junior on April 1st, 2014 at 10:50 am said:

Nice!!!!

+ timbo-slice_85 on April 1st, 2014 at 10:51 am said:

not all games on ps4 run at 60 fps not sure where people get this from. second son avgs 30-50 fps so a nonstop 30 could help look of game.

+ Andrashi on April 1st, 2014 at 10:55 am said:

Thank you sooo much for listening to the fans! Bow down to Sucker Punch!

+ ZAANOS on April 1st, 2014 at 10:58 am said:

Thanks for the HUD OFF option, that HUD is too big for my taste, really distracting.

Please Sucker Punch. PLEASE PLEASE make a SANDBOX MODE for those who beat the game.

I want instant access to the entire city, every Mobile Command Base in its original populated guarded state. Every ability unlocked. I just want to run around and be a bad ass. Please give me that.

+ TimMalouff on April 1st, 2014 at 11:01 am said:

How about adding some PHOTO missions or some FIND missions to showcase areas in the city that most players may miss running and flying along at fast speeds throughout the city.

Anyone else note how the default Jacket is the only one that seemed to change it’s appearance as your karma changed?

Also, can we get some lightning powers if we have on Cole’s Jacket?

That or get unique abilities for each Jacket?

+ MeaTre on April 1st, 2014 at 11:29 am said:

Loved the game, but it seemed really short and the side quest (singular since it was the exact same thing over and over) really made me wonder what the hell do I do now. I’ve beaten it twice True Hero and Infamous, but I want to use the Concrete power more. I love using concrete and smoke they are my favorites but concrete is really only usable if you play straight through the story line and do nothing else we need more missions and possibly a few more upgrades to the concrete power, or even just a subdue, execute and karmatic streak at least.

+ Catcher_BR on April 1st, 2014 at 11:34 am said:

the option to lock @ 30 fps is ridiculous, i cant believe there were enough people complaining about this… the game is almost the majority of the time higher than 30, runs veeeeeeery smooth. Just absurd, the TOD and hide HUD are awesome.

+ Vcheese on April 1st, 2014 at 11:40 am said:

Awesome game! a little repetitive IMO but nevetheless a great way to debut on a new hardware.

+ BirdNutz on April 1st, 2014 at 11:42 am said:

Who would have ever thought a day would come when a game has the option to cap the FPS on a console. LOL
I bet you will never see such an option on that VCR, Home Entertainment thingy console. ;)

+ Welmosca on April 1st, 2014 at 11:45 am said:

Game looks outstanding and the patch looks useful…good job Sucker Punch and Sony of course…those graphics….but SP how about a patch to make effects on puddles when Delsin steps on them?….that is something hard to believe you guys didn’t included and even less believable for a PS4 game that is a technical marvel above anything else in the market.

+ AniX72 on April 1st, 2014 at 11:57 am said:

Thank you, Sucker Punch! This was my first Infamous and I really love it. So much fun to jump and fly around and discover this beautiful city and to beat DUP asses. One of the best games I have ever played. Would love to see more content like the paper trail missions. Again, many thanks! Excellent work!

+ plaztiksyke on April 1st, 2014 at 12:16 pm said:

locking to 30fps is nice, but further optimizing so th framerate stays above 30hz would also be welcome :)

a few times we have gotten “stuck” in the game environment, and there’s no way to get unstuck by restart from check point easily. we post screenshots on twitter whenever this happens, so hopefully that helps in getting it fixed.

I’m surprised that it’s next-gen, but character’s STILL can’t stand on slanted surfaces. when Delsin stands on top of cars, his foot Floats above the windshield instead on angling to 45 degrees. with all the detailed skeletal modeling and rigging, it’s bizarre to me that collision boxes are still only 90 degrees.

liking the game so far; my husband is into it like I haven’t seem him since Halo 2.

+ DeVeAn on April 1st, 2014 at 12:34 pm said:

Really appreciate the cap to 30 frames. When it would jump up and drop back down was very distressing. Great game have the Platinum on it!

+ Sir_Bronius on April 1st, 2014 at 12:40 pm said:

Game was awesome but not enough side missions. I’m going to go back and beat it with bad karma this time for some replay ability but I’m hoping some DLC comes out.

Brian Fleming's Avatar

+ Ken Schramm on April 1st, 2014 at 2:27 pm said:

Please see my Paper Trail comment above.

+ Riseer23 on April 1st, 2014 at 12:47 pm said:

The screen judder I don’t notice,I know it’s there, but I don’t see it.The frame rate cap will help on control response.The ability to turn off the UI is awesome, Killzone mercenary has the option and i was able to get some great screen shots from it.

+ EightArms2CrushU on April 1st, 2014 at 1:07 pm said:

Playing through Second Son was incredibly fun. You guys did an excellent job on this game!

+ EightArms2CrushU on April 1st, 2014 at 1:08 pm said:

Also I’d like to second the suggestion of new game +. I barely got to touch that last power!

+ Husteen on April 1st, 2014 at 1:13 pm said:

wow, these are all very nice additions. i’m especially happy about the fps lock. from what i’ve seen of the game, it doesn’t have as much of that notorious jitter that comes with an unlocked game, but you can’t go wrong with giving players an option because it’s really just a preference.

look at tomb raider: the ps4 version, i’m pretty sure, has an unlocked frame rate, though it does go to 60 at certain parts; the xboxone has a capped frame rate because, again i assume, 60 would have been way too unstable, thus unplayable.

the bioshock games had the FPS toggle option, but maybe that’s not the best example because unlocking it induced horrific screen tearing.

the time of day change is very welcomed too. i gotta say, i’m surprised by this. it’s nice to see a game being supported in ways other than DLC. i approve.

+ SpooNManX on April 1st, 2014 at 1:50 pm said:

Glad to see the HUD removal option. The pictures always look more impressive without that.
What about an all out “PHOTO MODE” much like many car racing games have. Where you get a virtual camera and can play with lighting and DOF effects. I think that would be a lot of fun and also show off the amazing graphics even further.

Now all we need is Sony to add the ability to save your snapshots as PNG. The jpg compression adds way too many artifacts and noise. PNG being a lossless format would get rid of that and show nothing but beauty!

+ Ryusennin on April 1st, 2014 at 2:09 pm said:

“Cap at 30FPS”

About time. The framerate was all over the place.

People who claim that 35 fps is better than 30 haven’t the slightest clue about how refresh rate works on a 60 Hz display.

+ mynintendobroke on April 1st, 2014 at 2:15 pm said:

So to be clear, the frame rate cap is optional, right? Every time it exceeds 30 fps, it’s eye candy to me. I noticed the part where you said, “If that’s how you prefer to play,” but I just wanna be sure the cap won’t be forced on me.

Brian Fleming's Avatar

+ Ken Schramm on April 1st, 2014 at 2:27 pm said:

Yes, optional setting.

+ patrick5152003 on April 1st, 2014 at 2:19 pm said:

good game

+ Scoobdude on April 1st, 2014 at 2:22 pm said:

I read somewhere that you guys added such things as the gum wall and stuff. I think its really awesome as I have never been to seattle. Is there any way we can get a list of landmarks listed on the map somehow so we can go and look?

+ robbiekilljoy on April 1st, 2014 at 2:31 pm said:

These changes sound great!

That being said, I really really wish I could choose among the vests that get unlocked depending on karma level and maybe the different colors for the hoodie. That would be so awesome.

+ Remmy8199 on April 1st, 2014 at 2:33 pm said:

I totally agree with #54 about the morality thing. There should at least be a neutral path or something. Still, it’s a pretty awesome game though.

+ M1tsumanic on April 1st, 2014 at 2:51 pm said:

SP, first, I totally bought a ps4 and a copy of this game the DAY it was announced, and I am not dissapointed! This patch sounds so freaking great, but it seems like the biggest complaint next on the list is how unfinished concrete feels. No karmic upgrades, no subdue/execute, and no karma bomb :( It isn’t the end of the world, but as a frequent Gamefaqs visitor, everyone is really rooting for a more complete concrete in the future. Also, can’t wait to see what comes with paper trail, really intriguing so far.

+ kidgriff11 on April 1st, 2014 at 3:11 pm said:

i need someone at sony to get on the mlb show 14 data corruption problem there is nothin to do about it except re download an prey it works

+ n1kki6 on April 1st, 2014 at 3:21 pm said:

“Cap at 30FPS”

This has to be an April Fool’s joke. No one in their right mind would want LESS frames per second…

—————-

I would much prefer to lock it. I split time between the PC and Console, and it wasn’t until my latest PC build that I realized how much a consistant frame rate was more important to me even it it’s only 30. Especially during a fast paced game. Nothing worse the it dropping to 30, and feeling the slowdown.

+ Tchanku on April 1st, 2014 at 3:24 pm said:

Awesome.

+ fmykdisbad on April 1st, 2014 at 3:53 pm said:

this game would be fun to replay if it allowed custom mp3 soundtracks, my favorite ps3 feature, why ps4 enforces that music unlimited crap is beyond me , it seems everyone who bought a ps4 is an idiot because he could have stayed on the ps3 with way more and better games, and custom mp3 soundtrack support

+ GhostX1984 on April 1st, 2014 at 3:55 pm said:

Visually Infamous Second Son was a huge leap forwards. The game looks amazing and feels very polished.

But I thought the gameplay needed to evolve more. It’s designed too much like a chore. I don’t like how everything is labeled on the mini map. That completely kills the sense of exploration and makes it feel like you’re doing work going from point A to point B looking at the minimap when the player should be searching the gameworld you spend so much time creating.

The moral choice is pretty much made at the start of the game and every other choice is the same afterwards if you want all the unlocks. Some type of system where you can make different choices throughout the game for different powers or rewards would have been more interesting.

Also felt that Second Son was really light on story and could have used more plot twists and turns or comics.

Overall it’s a quality game and it looks amazing, but I was hoping for more of a step up gameplaywise.The shooting of enemies and then ducking for cover when you get hit a few times can get tedious.

+ LegendxDead on April 1st, 2014 at 3:55 pm said:

I love the infamous series and Second son is my favorite ps4 game. I do appreciate that Sucker punch listens to their fans! The powers story and gameplay are excellent but I have one complaint for this awesome game. I wish there was more to do outside of playing the story. The free roam aspect was very fast and repetitive. It was still fun but I would like to see much more good side missions. I know there is paper trail which I am enjoying a lot but there should really be more to do. I really hope that there will be some DLC in the future that adds more mission/story lines to the game. I also loved the festival of blood DLC so maybe something like that or like Ubisoft did with Far Cry Blood Dragon. I agree that there should not be multiplayer in Infamous but a co -op mode would be a blast. I love this game and I can’t wait to see what sucker punch does next!

+ SixelAlexiS on April 1st, 2014 at 4:14 pm said:

Part 1/2

Dear SP, sadly this inFamous is an huge disappointment, for the first half of the game the mission design is bland and the
combat are simply boring, mainly because the lack of number and tipology of enemies.

Fortunately the second half of the game is better, the missions are better structured and there are more enemies, that valorize the gameplay, but isn’t enough.

The main problem is the incredible lack of content, there are only few main missions and the sub-quest are simply a joke.
The essence of InFamous too is disappeared, the platform element is vanished… do you remember the first InFamous?
It’s Sly Cooper that meet a third person shooter… this was InFamous, now the game is like a Prototype.
Yeah, is fun “flying” in the city but the shooting mechanics are penalized with this type of mobility.

Luckily the last 2-3 missions are great and the last boss-battle is EPIC/FANTASTIC… really, kudos to you.
Tecnically speaking the game is outstanding with an illumination system that is one of the most accurate i ever seen (little shame for the no cast-shadow for all the light-sources).

+ SixelAlexiS on April 1st, 2014 at 4:15 pm said:

Part 2/2

If I had to find a “failure” in the graphic engine, i would say that the HDR effect is too loud, when you look a light-source like the Sun the game became incredibly dark…
an option for tune down / disabling this effect would be nice.

In summary this game is an huge wasted occasion, mainly because the first half of the game is too bland and unfunny/easy and the second half is interesting but is too late for raising up the game… and it ends right when the best comes out :(

I hope that there will be others (free) DLC like PaperTrail, in such a way that the game can express better the gameplay .

Regarding the PATCH, i have a little advice for the ON/OFF HUD OPTION:
what do you think of bind that option on the L3/R3 button?
Those buttons are unused in the game, in this way it would be possible to disable the Hud “on the fly” without going continuously in the options.
Could be a very nice and fast way for shoot nice photos while playing the game ^^

I hope for your best SP, a little tip for your next game: dont be afraid of dare and make the game more exciting right from the start!! (and moooore longer, like InFamous 2…).

+ Amnalehu on April 1st, 2014 at 4:37 pm said:

I’m a big fan of the series but Second Son is simply amazing. The game is a sight to behold and also a treat for the ears. This is the first game that I have seen that truly shows what “next-gen” means. My only complaint is that the audio (in game chatter) spoken by Delsin is actually TOO clean; meaning, when he is speaking he doesn’t sound like he is outside, or that his speech/breathing is labored from running, jumping or fighting. It would have been nice to hear his speech effected by his actions and also to hear his voice reflect the fact that he is outside. All in all, I have had a blast playing this game with my son. Infamous Second Son is reason enough to own a PS4. Congrats on an outstanding game and thank you for listening to your fans and taking the time to give us the best product possible.

+ canada_wth on April 1st, 2014 at 5:02 pm said:

This is the first inFamous game I’ve played and I must say that I am truly loving it! It’s just so awesome how you can do so much and how gorgeous this game looks. Great to hear that Suckerpunch is working on patching the game, even though I haven’t run into a single bug so far!

The one thing I’m also truly enjoying is the papertrail mission that is combined with the online search. Just wickedly awesome. I agree with one of the comments above about getting avatars for this game, I would love my avatar to be Delsin showing off his powers or something.

Thanks again for giving us this great work of art!!!

+ KBABZ on April 1st, 2014 at 5:13 pm said:

Was gonna ask for a rain toggle, but then I read that Rainy Seattle is just one option. It’d be neat if it were a toggle though since I think that’s how it works (it rains on the night with Fetch but not on the one where you chase after Hank’s phone trail).

If I were to propose a suggestion, I think the way the game handles Autosaves could also use some improvement. I hadn’t manually saved my Hero playthrough since about 50% into the game, and when I jumped into an Evil playthrough, I lost my 100% progress on the Hero save. Not that I’d complain about playing Second Son three times instead of two, but losing that progress still did annoy me greatly. It would also be cool to have a movie viewer like inFamous 2 did (which included the time of day transition clips).

Despite these, though, Second Son is a fantastic game! Can’t wait for… Third Daughter? 2nd-Second Son?

+ Drago1082 on April 1st, 2014 at 5:17 pm said:

Love the game, these features are going to make it even better, and I hope the update will also fix the spelling of my last name in the credits :-).

+ dragonriderV97 on April 1st, 2014 at 6:16 pm said:

hi,awesome game guys!!!few things to say….concrete karma moves and finishing move please,whitout that,concrete feels incomplete,and it will be great to see some realistic dead bodies,dont like they all are lying in the ground in the same way….