Days Gone

Apr 01

Apr 01

Wild West RPG Boot Hill Heroes Available Today on PlayStation Mobile

Dave Welch's Avatar Posted by Experimental Gamer

PlayStation Mobile

Experimental Gamer is proud to announce that the Wild West-flavored RPG Boot Hill Heroes is now on PlayStation Mobile. The first game in a three part saga, Boot Hill Heroes has been in development for three years and is finally ready for the PlayStation community.

The premise of the game goes like this; after an alleged attack by the Chepakwik Native American tribe, Bronco County is on the brink of war. Only a farm boy who knows the truth can stop it. Together with three companions – a gun slinging desperado, a Native American princess, and a Calamity Jane – he must expose a conspiracy by bringing to justice the six outlaws of the notorious Saints-Little Gang.

BootHillHeroes1BootHillHeroes2

Imagine those classic RPGs of the 90s (Final Fantasy, Earthbound, Chrono Trigger) but reinvented as a gritty, spaghetti western with vicious outlaws, brave lawmen and the untamed wilderness. It’s a journey through cow towns, Native American villages, ranches, mines, prisons, and into the soul of the American Wild West.

But what makes Boot Hill Heroes more than just being a Dragon Quest game based in the Wild West, is its fast-paced, real-time/turn-based hybrid combat. You must stay on your toes, as victory is determined not only by what actions are chosen but when they are executed!

BootHillHeroes3BootHillHeroes4

And what RPG could be complete without an epic musical score? We have the terrific and prolific Jake ‘virt’ Kaufman behind the soundtrack – the genius behind titles like “Shantae,” “DuckTales Remastered,” “Double Dragon Neon,” and too many other masterful soundtracks to name here.

Finally, Boot Hill Heroes is coming to PlayStation Mobile with exclusive content, “The Hangman’s Ballad.” In this side story, featuring new areas, weapons, and bosses, you must traverse a treacherous mountain pass to track down a blood-thirsty outlaw.

Gameplay Strategies:

• Talk to people! Not only do conversations with the residents of Bronco County add flavor to the story, but occasionally their words will give you various “perks” that assist you in combat.
  • Try out new Vantages as you learn them and consider their effectiveness. Even if a Vantage does not appear useful at first glance, it may be effective in the right situation or when used with other complementary Vantages.
  • Anticipate your opponent’s attacks by looking for the white line indicator on their power bar. If the indicator is further to the right of the power bar then, the cost is greater, and you can assume the attack is likely to cause more damage. Make sure your characters activate an evasive or blocking stance before the attack is executed to mitigate that damage.
  • Likewise, if an opponent is using an evasive or blocking stance, it might be a good idea to wait until the stance wears off and conserve your power. Or else, use a stunning attack to force them to drop the stance immediately.
  • Pummeling your enemy with status ailments is often a good strategy. Keep in mind that status ailment-causing vantages will stack with status ailment-causing weapons. For example, using the “Flame Arrow” Vantage with a bow that is already imbued with fire attributes will further increase the chances it will set the enemy ablaze.
  • Look around for materials you can pick up in towns and in the wilderness. Materials can be sold for cash to buy better equipment. They can also be used to imbue weapons and armor with various status ailments and properties.
  • Winning a challenging battle often comes down to using the right move and the right time. So if a battle becomes too heated, keep in mind you can pause the battle clock at any time and carefully queue up your actions.

Want to know more about the story, mechanics, or cool features of Boot Hill Heroes? Ask me in the comments below! Also you can reach out to me through Twitter or our website.

PS Vita owners can download Boot Hill Heroes from the PlayStation Mobile section of PlayStation Store for $7.49; Owners of PlayStation certified devices such as the Sony Xperia Z1S smartphone, HTC One or Sony Xperia Tablet Z, can also get it through the PlayStation Mobile Store. Click here for a full list of the certified devices or here for installation instructions.

Add Your Own

Neil said:

April 1st, 7:27 am

Looks great. Definitely inspired by Earthbound.

Ryumoau said:

April 1st, 7:42 am

Looks interesting, but i can’t imagine spending $8 on this especially if they still haven’t added trophy support for PS mobile games.

liammill18 said:

April 1st, 7:56 am

Wow, I’ll totally grab this, looks great!

easterkeke said:

April 1st, 8:01 am

Looks cute, very Earthbound indeed.

Mando44646 said:

April 1st, 8:48 am

Why isnt it Vita-native? It looks interesting but Id much prefer native Vita controls and trophy support :/

Macello said:

April 1st, 8:51 am

Sorry, no trophy support, no buy.

Timo-T- said:

April 1st, 9:00 am

Vita version would be so cool!

gerneric123 said:

April 1st, 9:02 am

PlayStation has been around for 20 years, of which only 5 had trophies. The fact that people can’t play games without some bonus for time investment is sad.

Elvick_ said:

April 1st, 9:48 am

I wish this were natively on PS Vita instead. ):

Tiael said:

April 1st, 9:48 am

Boot Hill, Wild Arms 3 town.
Calamity Jane, Jane Maxwell, Wild Arms 1.
Wild west themed RPG series.

I see what you did there.
:P

I would grab this if it released as an indie title on PS3, but as it is now.

sam2324 said:

April 1st, 9:51 am

April’s Fools ?

LokeSTL said:

April 1st, 10:07 am

Any chance of this coming to the PS4? Vita with trophies? Love these kind of games. Keep supporting traditional RPGs!!

DapperDaveWelch said:

April 1st, 10:13 am

Hey I’m Dave, the creator of Boot Hill Heroes. I wanted to pop in and answer any questions you might have about the game.

First thing to clarify, you can play this on Vita with the Vita controls. Touch screen controls are available for other PSM devices.

Gillberg said:

April 1st, 10:46 am

This looks like a must have! First PS Mobile game I’m buying! Followed Dave on twitter too!

Kishnabe said:

April 1st, 12:24 pm

Enticing us with Nostalgia. Always loved the Mother series…It was just out there.

If this has that same raunchy hilarious dialogue then I will wait for a Plus discount before purchasing.

+Macello….playing games for trophies is meaningless. Story and Gameplay matter the most. 10 years from now….I would look back fondly at how fun that game is then the little number beside my avatar.

Majority of games are trophy less, even to this day I bet many still play the old Famicom/SNES, PSX RPGs.

shadow15972 said:

April 1st, 1:14 pm

I second what 15 @Kishnabe said about trophies. Even I still play my ps1 rpgs, and some SNES games. (Super Metroid is still the best one in the series IMO)
You should buy a game cause it has a nice story and amazing gameplay. Not because of some stupid nonexistent things that mean absolutely nothing. Don’t get me wrong, I like them people just take it way too far with them.

ein_nineteenth said:

April 1st, 1:21 pm

Speaking of Wild West.. When will Sony get another Wild Arms game? It’s been way too long since the old Horseback battles against UFOs, Dragon Mechs , Demons, Aliens and of course, other Gun-toting Outlaws and Lawmen. I miss that series and it’s a real shame it’s been utterly neglected this gen.

Kazriko said:

April 1st, 5:34 pm

Are you sure this is up on the store? I’ve searched everywhere in it and can’t find it.

DapperDaveWelch said:

April 1st, 8:10 pm

@Kazriko

You need to go to the PlayStation Mobile tab in the store. Check it out here: http://www.experimentalgamer.com/boot-hill-heroes-psm-april-2-exclusive-content/

PrimeroIncognito said:

April 1st, 9:10 pm

@ Kishnabe & shadow15972

+ 1,000,000 each.

LeeorV said:

April 2nd, 2:54 am

The thing is, having it as “Vita Native” is not only about trophies (though admittedly, that’s a major bonus for me as a trophy hunter and for many other) it’s also about the absurd hardware limitations enforced on PSM that would let the game perform better, look better, use better assets and load faster as a native Vita title, and it’d also be able to use other features not available to PSM titles, such as cloud saves, online leaderboards/multiplayer support, and more.

PSM in its current form is an extremely backwards platform with basically 0% consumer exposure, whereas Vita native is almost the exact opposite of that.

Please bring this game to Vita as a native downloadable title!

Elvick_ said:

April 2nd, 4:36 am

@20: Yeah, it’s not just trophies. Though trophies are great to earn and great for having evidence of what you play on PSN. (I like seeing what other people play this way)

There’s also people being able to see you playing the game online, livearea updates (I love them), PSM is limited in countries, PSM and it’s games update stupidly, no PS+ cloud save storage support…

PSM is just kind of lame. It has a neat concept, but it’s a failed one in action.

If I’m going to spend my time playing games where my presence is totally invisible to my PSN friends, I’ll just play some PSone Classics instead. That’s how I feel about PSM. I can’t get motivated to invest. And I’ve actually bought a ton of PSM games in the past, but fulfilling they are not.

Vita itself is great, so playing something lame like PSM on it is just kind of… meh.

DapperDaveWelch said:

April 2nd, 9:36 am

I’d love to bring Boot Hill Heroes to PSN/PS3/PS4. Hopefully there will be enough interest in the game to make that happen.

metalminx said:

April 9th, 4:04 pm

by ‘enough interest’ do you mean it depends on how much money you make off the PSM version, or, how much you don’t make because people won’t pay close to $8.00 for a mobile game — BUT, thousands of people exclaim: WE WANT THIS ON VITA NATIVELY!!!

I ask, because those are two very different ‘interests’ and it needs to be made clear.

metalminx said:

April 9th, 4:11 pm

btw, I for one would get behind a net petition to get the ‘interest’ out there. but I doubt that’s what you meant.

one more thing… this is PART 1? so $24 for a PSM game has got to be the most expensive PSM game ever!