PS4-Watch_Dogs

Rogue Legacy on PlayStation: Building a Roguelike RPG

Ryan Clements's Avatar + Posted by Ryan Clements on Apr 10, 2014 // Social Media Specialist

A dread memory hangs above your head. A haunted castle stands in your way. And your family has struggled for generations in the name of redemption and fortune. In Rogue Legacy, players embark on a harrowing quest in a retro-style Roguelike, filled with brutal challenges and hundreds of upgrades. Rogue Legacy is coming to PS3, PS4, and PS Vita, with all the dark humor and alluring secrets that made it an indie hit on PC.

We spoke with Cellar Door Games Co-founder and Game Designer Teddy Lee about how the team built this addictive RPG, and why they approached the Roguelike in a new way. See below for the full interview, and Teddy’s insight into the design process.

Kenny Lee, Teddy’s brother and Cellar Door co-founder, also notes:

We hope you’re as excited about the release of Rogue Legacy on PlayStation as we are. Releasing a game on consoles has always been a milestone and a bit of a dream for us, and we never would have taken that step forward without your support and enthusiasm. It means a lot to us, and we know we couldn’t do it without you. Thank you so much. For those planning on playing on PS4, make sure to share your videos because we can’t wait to see them!

+ Kieferw on April 10th, 2014 at 9:32 am said:

I have been waiting for this game on ps4!!

Ryan Clements's Avatar

+ Ryan Clements on April 10th, 2014 at 10:16 am said:

Woohoo!

+ dodgedoors on April 10th, 2014 at 9:35 am said:

Is this a work in progress post? Either way, first I read Transistor info and release date now info on this. This is my favorite day in a long time. Are we close to knowing a release date on this. I bought the PS4 at launch because of this game being announced and Transistor so everything is coming up roses for me.

Ryan Clements's Avatar

+ Ryan Clements on April 10th, 2014 at 10:17 am said:

I like this phrase, “coming up roses.” ^_^

And this is not a work-in-progress post. Do you see a typo?

+ coolasj19 on April 10th, 2014 at 9:37 am said:

Thanks for the update. I’ve skipped so many Steam Sales just so I can buy games on PlayStation. This is one of them and I’m starving for it. Cross-Buy of course, yeah?

Ryan Clements's Avatar

+ Ryan Clements on April 10th, 2014 at 10:17 am said:

Not sure if cross buy — will ask the team!

+ Doctor_Hank_Pym on April 10th, 2014 at 9:42 am said:

This looks great! Will it have cross-buy between all three versions? If so, Day-1 purchase for me.

Ryan Clements's Avatar

+ Ryan Clements on April 10th, 2014 at 2:03 pm said:

UPDATE:

Hi everyone! Just heard back from the Cellar Door Games team. At this time, they DO plan to support cross save and cross buy, and they aim to launch in Summer 2014.

Hope that helps! Cheers.

+ Zvarri on April 10th, 2014 at 9:48 am said:

Chuckling at the “rouge” slip-up in this article’s description in the big Featured Article section on the main page.

It was bound to happen eventually.

Ryan Clements's Avatar

+ Ryan Clements on April 10th, 2014 at 2:04 pm said:

It always does. lol

Thanks for the catch.

+ Gorvi on April 10th, 2014 at 9:49 am said:

Is there a release window yet? I can’t wait to play this on the Vita.

Ryan Clements's Avatar

+ Ryan Clements on April 10th, 2014 at 2:04 pm said:

Summer, 2014!

+ reson8er on April 10th, 2014 at 9:54 am said:

looks great, my only wish is that your character didn’t run around with their sword in the air. Seems kinda silly, but I respect your design decision. Looking forward to picking this up when it releases.

Ryan Clements's Avatar

+ Ryan Clements on April 10th, 2014 at 2:04 pm said:

The hero is just really eager to run with sword held high…

+ AssaultMonkey150 on April 10th, 2014 at 9:57 am said:

Come on, give us a release date! May, June?

Also, if anyone from Sony is reading this, what the HELL happened to Planetside 2? Your SOE team had a big press conference yesterday about H1Z1 and no mention about how a PS4 launch title isn’t here 6 months later?

+ BarrenMind on April 10th, 2014 at 10:04 am said:

Many great indie releases last year but this was my favorite. Can’t wait to grab it on Vita / PS4.

+ ElektroDragon on April 10th, 2014 at 10:08 am said:

Awesome! Glad I did not buy this on PC!

Oh and can someone please make a TRADITIONAL TURN BASED roguelike for a change? Like Moria? It’s impossible to find those games on modern platforms anywhere outside PC land.

+ ThiagoArroadie on April 10th, 2014 at 10:10 am said:

Major turn on!
This game provides SO MUCH FUN!
Glad that I will be able to play it on the PS4 / Vita!!!

+ ThiagoArroadie on April 10th, 2014 at 10:11 am said:

Release date, btw??

+ NinjaMicWZ on April 10th, 2014 at 10:22 am said:

Day 1 on Vita. Actually own it on Steam, but like Fez and other games, I’ve been waiting to double dip and play it on my Vita.

+ Ryumoau on April 10th, 2014 at 11:10 am said:

Looks really interesting. I’ve always wanted to get into these Roguelike games but found them too brutal and annoying how they make you feel like you wasted time once you died. I’m glad to hear they’ve used a system to make this game more approachable for people like me.

+ xClayMeow on April 10th, 2014 at 11:17 am said:

I’ve been resisting Steam sales (no easy task!), waiting for the Vita version instead!

Any ETA?

A PS+ launch week discount would be nice too :)

+ Zephram on April 10th, 2014 at 11:45 am said:

Fell in love with this game on PC, and thank god for controller support!

This game is ripe for a sequel, new diseases/conditions, job classes, etc… So a sequel is in the works right?…right? If you confirm it, I promise not to tell anyone.

+ Vextalon on April 10th, 2014 at 12:24 pm said:

I can’t wait for this. Are there any other games that are on Steam that are coming out on Playstation this year?

Totally feels like those old school hard games that I miss. Kinda has a castlevania/ metroid feel to it.

+ PhoenixDowny on April 10th, 2014 at 1:30 pm said:

Can’t wait to play this on the PS Vita! It looks like a game tailorborn for the PS Vita! It also reminds me of NEXON’s Maple Story.

+ Elvick_ on April 10th, 2014 at 1:46 pm said:

I am so excited to finally be able to play this on my PS Vita. :D

+ tusunami on April 10th, 2014 at 3:32 pm said:

This reminds me of a game on the PS1 or PS2 can’t remember but this seems like a cool game and it looks like cross-buy too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ PhoenixDowny on April 10th, 2014 at 5:56 pm said:

@Tusunami, This game makes me wish that Sony would reboot the MediEvil franchise on the PS Vita.

+ xXbl00dshyXx on April 11th, 2014 at 1:07 am said:

this looks cool I love games like this I would love to see the suikodens put on psn

+ Thiagots85 on April 11th, 2014 at 3:03 am said:

NICE!, Waited so much for this game!

Ryan, you must ask the devs if this game support platinum…

Sony needs to hear your friends “Sr. pride of Long Island” and “Mr. Oreoration”: Platinum sells more games…

Anyway, will buy for the vita =D

Skipped on pc, just to have the feeling of playing this on the go…

+ Spectreman78 on April 11th, 2014 at 3:08 am said:

Is going to be crossbuy and crossave?

+ Thiagots85 on April 11th, 2014 at 3:30 am said:

@#24

Yes, Ryan gave an update confirming both, replying #4

+ Spectreman78 on April 11th, 2014 at 4:13 am said:

Great! Going to be perfect.

+ Sonicfan11589 on April 11th, 2014 at 4:41 am said:

Wow looks good, really reminds me of Castlevania both gameplay and the music.

+ idn86i on April 11th, 2014 at 5:31 am said:

OMG YES!! I’ve been waiting for this game to hit the Playstation platform >_< I can finally play this on the go with my Vita! Wooohooo

+ furystylee on April 11th, 2014 at 6:42 am said:

Same here, I was patiently holding out for the VITA.. it paid off! THANKS!

+ LouTheVI on April 17th, 2014 at 1:01 pm said:

Be careful guys, this game is addicting.

The microscaling and rogue-elements make it incredibly too easy to hit the start button after dying. If you don’t make yourself stop you WILL play all night.