Bloodborne

Final Fantasy XIV: Upgrade From PS3 to PS4

Hergen Thaens's Avatar + Posted by Hergen Thaens on Apr 11, 2014 // Community Project Manager, Square Enix

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn

Hello again. It’s Friday, the week is almost over, and for some of you, early access on PS4 is about to begin. A weekend full of adventures in Eorzea lies ahead — the first of many!

So, for those of you who have already been playing Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn on PS3, only one question remains: “How in the world do I upgrade my PS3 version?!”

And this is what we’ll help with you, right here, right now.

Some general information before that:

• If you’ve played Final Fantasy XIV on PS3, you can upgrade to the PS4 version for free.
  • The upgrade will be available from today until at least the end of the year.
  • Make sure that you’ve logged in on your PS3 version at least once, so it’s correctly registered in our systems.
  • Remember that you will not be able to access the game from your PS3 anymore after the upgrade to PS4 has taken place!

Step 1: Get Your Promotion Code

Important: the upgrade option is currently scheduled to go live at approximately 1:00 AM Pacific on Friday, April 11th.

1. First of all, log into the Mog Station using your Square Enix account, visit the account services page, and select the service account that you want to upgrade.
  2. Once selected, you should already see a banner with the option to upgrade from PS3 to PS4. Click on it.
  3. You’ll now be presented with the details of the upgrade campaign. I know it’s a lot of text, but please read it carefully, as it contains a lot of information about the upgrade process. When you’re done reading, confirm that you agree to the terms and click “Next.”
  4. On this page you’ll be asked to confirm your upgrade. If you have multiple service accounts, please make absolutely sure that you’ve selected the correct service account you want to upgrade.
  5. If all is in order, click on “Upgrade.”

And you’re done! You’ll now be displayed with a summary and your promotion code to download the game from PlayStation Store.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn

Step 2: Redeem Your Promotion Code

Please note: if you’ve participated in the second PS4 beta, this step is optional, as you already have the game client installed on your system and only need to update it. You still need to go through step 1, though!

1. Boot up your PS4, log in to your PlayStation account, and go to PlayStation Store. Make absolutely sure that you have the correct PlayStation profile active before you enter the store! Promotion Codes can only be used a single time, so using it on the wrong account would leave you stranded.
  2. Select “Redeem Codes” from the option menu displayed at the bottom left of the screen and enter the promotion code.
  3. When you’ve done so and confirmed the regulations, you can start the download.
  4. If something goes wrong with the download, you can try to restart it using the “Library” option in the PlayStation Store menu.

And that’s it! You’ll be ready to go in no time.

If you have any further questions, please direct them to the comments, and I’ll do my best to answer them.

PAGE 1 2

+ PGDarkLordMalik on April 11th, 2014 at 3:17 am said:

Hi,

As a PS4 owner, who only played the Phase 2 Beta. I wanted to know if there is any way to upgrade from the PS3 version(Digital) to the PS4, without having to download and install the PS3 client again on my PS3?

+ Matt Hilton on April 11th, 2014 at 11:13 am said:

The PS3 -> PS4 upgrade is handled on the Mog Station, and not on the PS3 version of FINAL FANTASY XIV itself. Head over to the Mog Station to do the upgrade! (http://sqex.to/Msp)

+ stefer09 on April 11th, 2014 at 3:34 am said:

On the mogstation it said to redeem the code so i tried and it said it already has been redeemed.

I see step 2 here says that redeeming the code is if i was in second beta is optional.

So i’m guessing there is nothing wrong with the code, it’s because i was in the beta that it says the code was already used?

+ Matt Hilton on April 11th, 2014 at 11:14 am said:

Correct, if you already have the second beta software downloaded, you do not need to use the code to download it again! You’re all set!

+ OvertechBroch on April 11th, 2014 at 4:15 am said:

Hi Hergen, will I need to have an active subscription to do the upgrade? I won’t be re-upping until the summer months, but I’d like to take advantage of this upgrade offer now.

+ CrashSpyro on April 11th, 2014 at 5:05 am said:

If I upgrade my PS3 version to the PS4 version, will that get me into Early Access that should be starting right about now? Or do I need to do a proper pre-order to get an Early Access code?

+ Matt Hilton on April 11th, 2014 at 11:14 am said:

Upgrading the PS3 to PS4 does indeed grant Early Access!

+ Faythi on April 11th, 2014 at 5:16 am said:

Is the trophy list between PS3 and PS4 shared?

+ Matt Hilton on April 11th, 2014 at 11:49 am said:

Yes, it is.

+ KazeEternal on April 11th, 2014 at 5:33 am said:

Code is already in USE when I input it on my PS4. I’m able to update and log into the beta software on my OS already so I’m good for playing, but I’m just concerned about when I go to upgrade my hard drive if I’ll still be able to download the full version so I can play?

+ KazeEternal on April 11th, 2014 at 5:39 am said:

Also where are hte PS4 trophies? Was there no installed trophy pack like on PS3?

+ sevensquidz on April 11th, 2014 at 5:50 am said:

I am having the same issue i upgraded my ps3 account to ps4 and now the code is saying the code is already in use so im out of a account and can not play

+ Matt Hilton on April 11th, 2014 at 11:15 am said:

The code given via the upgrade process is only used to download the software. If you already have it installed from Beta phase two, you’re all set and don’t need to use the code.

+ JubeiSaotome on April 11th, 2014 at 6:14 am said:

If you get the “code redeemed already” message, just try logging into the game, it should work. Might be due to accessing on PS4 during a beta having settings already applied to the account. Just needed Mog Station’s end to hold up.

+ dfoz3 on April 11th, 2014 at 6:30 am said:

This is what they mean under step 2 above. If you were in the phase 2 beta you already have it. I got the same message but this confirms we are all good to go.

+ Souledge94 on April 11th, 2014 at 6:46 am said:

wait so the ps3-ps4 upgrade will only last till next year?

+ Sneeches on April 11th, 2014 at 6:59 am said:

@11 – that’s plenty of time dude!!!!

+ Sneeches on April 11th, 2014 at 6:59 am said:

downloading the update now as i was already in the beta. LOVE THIS GAME ON PS4.

+ MarinoBrea on April 11th, 2014 at 7:11 am said:

I expect this from every digital game, Naughty Dog are you listening? we want an upgrade program for the digital version of TLOU!!!

+ Chris72Lynch on April 11th, 2014 at 8:01 am said:

I could never find the regular edition download on their store, so I just gave up.

+ reson8er on April 11th, 2014 at 8:31 am said:

I completed the upgrade process this morning before heading into work! it went off without a hitch.

Question though: Normally I would received the extra items via Mog Mail but noticed that there was not any mail there, am I missing a step to get the items? (Specifically the wind-up Mog and Fat Chocobo whistle)

Thanks!

+ Matt Hilton on April 11th, 2014 at 11:16 am said:

The CE items will be delivered (in-game) when the service officially launches on Monday, April 14th!

+ zA-Zombie on April 11th, 2014 at 8:33 am said:

@11; I believe the upgrade campaign only lasts that long. You won’t need to rebuy the game to continue to have access to it, you just will no longer be able to upgrade from the PS3 to PS4 version for free.

+ FuzzRaven on April 11th, 2014 at 8:39 am said:

I bought the PS3 retail disk version last year during Black Friday but never used it on the PS3. I don’t own a PS3 now as I sold mine after getting the PS4. I bought the PS3 version knowing that I can upgrade it to the PS4 for free. How am I to do this without having a PS3?

+ Matt Hilton on April 11th, 2014 at 11:16 am said:

Unfortunately, you need to have logged into the PS3 version at least once to do the upgrade.

+ boob-monster on April 11th, 2014 at 9:27 am said:

Guys, everyone who reedemed the code on the ps4 can now play, the warning that says the code has already been used is wrong. Once you redeem the promotion code just go and access the game in your ps4 and you will be able to log in no problem.

+ Bogg1000 on April 11th, 2014 at 9:45 am said:

Did the ps3 to ps4 upgrade just fine. Was thinking of rebuying the ps3 version, at the 24.99 sale price, so I’d have a backup system. But I can’t do that because the psn store says I still have it. The store only wants to let me buy the ps3 collectors edition, which I don’t want to spend that much money on. Couldn’t my purchase history have been modified enough to let me buy that sale version after the upgrade?

+ jenyjhon on April 11th, 2014 at 9:59 am said:

WORK WITH GOOGLE online, seriously I couldn’t be happier I work when I want and where I want. And with a little effort I easily bring in 50h and sometimes even as much as 80h…heres a good example of what I’m doing…….j­ℴ­ℬ­s­35.ℭℴℳ

+ sevensquidz on April 11th, 2014 at 10:12 am said:

The only issue i still have is my characters are not anywhere to be found right now.

+ fuscr23 on April 11th, 2014 at 10:30 am said:

@22 I am having the same exact problem, I thought I would not have to use the redemption code because I played in the first beta because my code was not working. I even transferred my character information and it said it worked. But when I log onto the ps4 version and start it up the game just goes to the start of the game like I have never played it before, thus I cannot find my character stuff anywhere. This better get fixed soon.

+ Matt Hilton on April 11th, 2014 at 11:18 am said:

Have you selected the Data Center that your character resides on? The intro is shown the first time on launch, but I assure you that all of your characters are still there, waiting for you! You may need to select the Data Center where they are first, though!

+ avluis on April 11th, 2014 at 10:51 am said:

@18
If I remember right, all copies of FFIX retail disk come with a code
Redeem that code that comes with your game here:

Then create your account with the MOG Station (the link is somewhere on this post) and link your game there, then upgrade with the instructions above.

+ AlexAtkinUK on April 11th, 2014 at 11:02 am said:

@23 If you only played on the PS4 Beta 1 then I think it has to go through the intro movies again as the beta 1 client is not the same as the beta 2/final client, so thinks you haven’t played on it “on that console” before.

Once you get past the intro movies you are given the character selection screen where you can resume your progress.

+ YungShep on April 11th, 2014 at 11:14 am said:

2 words.

REMOTE PLAY :)

i bought the ps3 version last week just to get in the ps4 version days early. now im at work playing it and i couldnt be happier. i love it, i see the passion on the ps4 version, HUGE DIFFERENCE.

+ Matt Hilton on April 11th, 2014 at 11:18 am said:

I know, I seriously love the Remote Play too! (Don’t tell anyone I’m playing at work… shhhh…)

+ BahumatIsBack on April 11th, 2014 at 11:19 am said:

OK this upgrade process is just a pain in the butt. There’s an option to import your character save from PS3 on the lower right side of the client, but it tells you to first export your character save from PS3. I don’t even have it downloaded to my hard drive anymore since I was doing the upgrade. So now I have to redownload the whole game on PS3, but Ive already done the upgrade on mog station so I don’t even know if it will let me load it up far enough on PS3 to export my save

This could have been handled so much better

+ Matt Hilton on April 11th, 2014 at 11:44 am said:

The option you’re referring to on the launcher is only to import your locally saved data on your PS3 version (things like hotbars/macros, etc. that aren’t saved online) and upload them to the PSN. Then on the PS4 version, using the same option, you can download that data so your content is ready to go.

If you do not want to import your locally saved data from the PS3, and are fine with just recreating your hot bars, etc.) you do not need to use this option at all. Here is an article on Lodestone regarding this feature and how to use it: http://sqex.to/Yee

+ BahumatIsBack on April 11th, 2014 at 11:28 am said:

And add to that I go to the web store to try to download the client since I don’t want to sift through my 2000 account items to find a purchase from last year and it tries to charge me for the standard edition and says the Collector’s Edition is unavailable since I already purchased the Collector’s Edition pack

This is ridiculous. This needs to be fixed

+ BahumatIsBack on April 11th, 2014 at 11:30 am said:

How hard would it have been to tell people that progress wasn’t stored on the server with an Online game and that we’d need to still have the old version installed to complete the upgrade process?

+ stefer09 on April 11th, 2014 at 11:44 am said:

But Matt, if we ever need to redownload the client (harddrive upgrade, harddrive or console crash), will we be able to redownload it?

+ Matt Hilton on April 11th, 2014 at 11:45 am said:

Yup, you can always redownload the client using the “Library” option the PlayStation 4 home screen.

+ BahumatIsBack on April 11th, 2014 at 11:47 am said:

man, don’t you wish there was a delete option on here?

You just have to make sure you log in to the same server that your character was on and you’re fine. You can find out which one on the Mog Station site if you can’t remember

+ soulzonik on April 11th, 2014 at 11:58 am said:

A quick question… I saw FF XIV: ARR in the PS Store for the PS4 for free (the client). I’ve only played the betas (even on the PS3). Never had the PS3 full version.

So, I “bought” it and if I pay for the subscription, I’m ready to go? I’m asking this because it’s very strange to be free. It’s like the retail version exists for the three free months only, not for the client+three months of subscription.

+ Matt Hilton on April 11th, 2014 at 12:05 pm said:

As you have only downloaded the client, you will need a registration code to be able to play. Purchasing a registration code (package in a store, or digitally from PSN) will grant 30 days of game time.

+ sevensquidz on April 11th, 2014 at 12:01 pm said:

I tried both north american servers and i double checked my character server on mog net and i still did not see them in the server ill double check after work.

+ GStebbs on April 11th, 2014 at 12:01 pm said:

Im struggling with transferring. Ive done everything its told me to. Ive exported my character from the ps3, then gone on to my ps4 and imported the character. It told me that it was successful but when i log into the game its just making me create a new character!!?? Anyone got any ideas, im prob just being stupid somewhere!?

+ Matt Hilton on April 11th, 2014 at 12:07 pm said:

Make sure you’ve selected the Data Center that hosts the server your character is on. For example, clicking the Data Center will show the list of options you can choose, and which server it is associated with. If your character is on “Balmung”, then you would select the Aether data center, and your character will be there :)

+ stefer09 on April 11th, 2014 at 12:04 pm said:

@32 that was a very confusing thing too in the store update post from this week. The client is free, but you have to buy the game. It was for people to be able to download early i take it. They should have edited the post to explain it better…

+ GStebbs on April 11th, 2014 at 12:09 pm said:

Thanks Matt, Ill give that a shot. Did it make you watch the whole intro again?

+ RicoJalapeno on April 11th, 2014 at 12:14 pm said:

I went to the PSN store, and it said that the game was free to me. I own the game for PC, but not PS3. Why was this offered to me?

+ Matt Hilton on April 11th, 2014 at 12:19 pm said:

The software is available for a limited time for all PlayStation users who wish to use it for Early Access. To take advantage of it though, you will need an early access code or be a PS3->PS4 upgrade user.

+ GStebbs on April 11th, 2014 at 12:15 pm said:

@ Matt Hilton….. Sorted……thanks mate.

+ BalmungTaichou on April 11th, 2014 at 12:26 pm said:

When will the time cards be available on PSN and why was there no preorder option via PSN?

+ CrashSpyro on April 11th, 2014 at 12:48 pm said:

Thanks for the confirmation, Matt.

+ Steam07 on April 11th, 2014 at 1:10 pm said:

Hey there! So I have downloaded the client and have my early access code. I played the beta version and it has my wife’s Square Enix ID in the name box, and I would like to use mine. How can I change the ID to mine? It won’t let me change it through the client..

+ guitarded77 on April 11th, 2014 at 1:52 pm said:

YES!!! Been loving the game on PS3. Ready to get down on the PS4 now. The visual upgrade from the PS3 to the PS4 beta was very nice, but even more so how smoothly it runs on the PS4 compared to the PS3.

+ starakita on April 11th, 2014 at 1:58 pm said:

ok please help i have a hard copy of a realm reborn n a ps3 (not my ps3 my daughters ) i also have a ps4 n have been apart of phase 1 n phase 2 on phase 2 i had my original character n i noticed during phase 2 that the tombstones of mythology which made me happy and decide to start replaying again on the ps4 but i cant seem to get my daughter ps3 to do the transfer its keeps saying i need a product code or something along those lines please tell me i haven’t lost my level 90 palidin after i have just resubcribed i will be fuming

+ Matt Hilton on April 11th, 2014 at 4:11 pm said:

The PS3 -> PS4 upgrade is for users that had the PS3 version on their account. To do the transfer, visit the Mog Station (http://sqex.to/Msp) and log in with your Square Enix account that has the PS3 version on it. There you can upgrade your PS3 version to PS4. Your original character is not deleted, don’t fret!

+ c_berkhout on April 11th, 2014 at 2:04 pm said:

quick question here, at the mog station i noticed an option to upgrade my ‘upgraded ps3 version’ to a ps4 digital collectors edition.
the problem is, i don’t have a creditcard, and the only way to pay in square enix websites is with a creditcard.

I’m dutch, and pretty much anything i buy online i use the IDEAL option for, which is the easiest way for me.

will there be an option to do this within the ps store soon? or am i stuck with the mog station.:(

+ Bobflac on April 11th, 2014 at 2:46 pm said:

Yeah I am still getting (e-820000130) I need help

+ PixelProV1 on April 11th, 2014 at 3:54 pm said:

I have ps4 early access codes, trading for beta codes or giving away to those who dont have much

+ tusunami on April 11th, 2014 at 4:14 pm said:

This was nice of square enix to do this I hope mer developers give us a option like this!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ Thunder_Prime on April 11th, 2014 at 4:16 pm said:

Trying to upgrade but getting E-82000130, wasn’t in any beta or had downloaded ff14 on my PS4, should I be okay?

+ Thunder_Prime on April 11th, 2014 at 4:22 pm said:

If it helps I started downloading the game client without redeem my code, stopped the download then tried redeeming my code where I get the E-82000130

+ c_berkhout on April 11th, 2014 at 4:25 pm said:

you can download it again in your downloadlist

without redeeming the code, should work without any problems

PAGE 1 2