Uncharted 4

Apr 14

Apr 14

PlayStation Plus: Castle of Illusion Free for Members

Kristine Steimer's Avatar Posted by Sr. Community Specialist

If you recognize the name Castle of Illusion from back in the day, you should know that this remake doesn’t just offer upgraded graphics, but also periodic restructuring of the classic 2D side-scrolling platforming gameplay into a 3D space. Although the graphics and gameplay are different, the storyline here is the same – dear old Minnie has been kidnapped by an evil witch and its up to you to save her. As an added bonus, if you download this during the first two weeks it’s available in PS Plus you’ll receive the Castle of Illusion Sega Genesis Bundle, which adds the original Sega Genesis version of Castle of Illusion (1990) and a Mizrabel (that’s the evil witch that kidnapped Minnie btw) dynamic theme for free. This bundle will only be available until 4/28 so be sure to download it before then!

In addition to Castle of Illusion, Plus members can purchase a number of titles at a discount including LEGO Marvel Super Heroes and Ethan: Meteor Hunter, and as a nice bonus you can download the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles OOTS avatar pack for free.

You can download Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse after PlayStation Store updates tomorrow, 4/15.

PlayStation Plus: Instant Game Collection

Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse (PS3)

Free for PS Plus members

Castle of Illusion
Mickey Mouse returns to star in Castle of Illusion, a fantastical re-imagining of the Sega Genesis classic. With all-new HD graphics and gameplay, Castle of Illusion brings Mickey and his world to life in this magical Disney adventure! When the evil witch Mizrabel kidnaps Minnie, it’s up to Mickey to brave the dangers of the Castle of Illusion to rescue Minnie. Gather your courage and traverse enchanted forests, take on hordes of rebellious toys and navigate mazes of living books. Play as Mickey and save Minnie from Mizrabel’s evil clutches!
If you download this game before 4/28 you’ll receive the original Sega Genesis version of Castle of Illusion (1990) and a Mizrabel dynamic theme for free.

PlayStation Plus: Discounts

Pure Chess Forest Game Pack (PS4) $2.24 $2.49
Pure Chess Halloween Chess Set (PS4) $0.89 $0.99
Pure Chess Park Game Pack (PS4) $2.24 $2.49
Pure Chess Temple Game Pack (PS4) $2.24 $2.49
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Oots – Character Avatar Pack Free $1.49

PlayStation Plus: Last Chance

If you’ve got feedback on today’s Plus update make sure vote in the poll and leave a comment below. To discuss all things PlayStation, including this update, you can also head over to the PlayStation Community Forums where you’ll find topics you can contribute your thoughts to, or start one for yourself.

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2 3 4

Ryumoau said:

April 14th, 8:01 am

nothing for me this week. Lots of discounts though but none for anything i want.

poodude said:

April 14th, 8:01 am

:O look at all those Lego sales!

darkwonders said:

April 14th, 8:02 am

@Ryu well be apart of PS+ long enough and you’ll eventually have most of the stuff they offer. Still. I have the next 3 years paid off so I don’t care if some weeks are a little lacking.

JMBlakk said:

April 14th, 8:05 am

I’ve been eyeing LEGO Marvel Super Heroes (PS4) for some time now. At that price I just might grab it.

NX_Nytrux said:

April 14th, 8:08 am

Poor sales, I have not taken my 75% off from PS+ lately, sad.

nagids said:

April 14th, 8:09 am

cool!! I really want to play the new castle of illusion, the original is one of my favourite from my childhood !

Kristine Steimer's Avatar

Kristine Steimer said:

April 14th, 12:46 pm

If you download it within the first two weeks you get both versions too :D

LightOfValkyrie said:

April 14th, 8:10 am

*yawn*

GStylez1980 said:

April 14th, 8:10 am

I look forward to playing Castle of Illusion at some point. Never had a chance to play the Genesis original. The sales this week are pretty good, but I think I’ll continue to wait for Lego Marvel Super Heroes and Lord of the Rings Vita. The sale price is reasonable, but not something that makes me jump at it the way that Lego Batman 2 was last year (I think it was like $5 or something).

speedkiller1 said:

April 14th, 8:11 am

good deals for the ps4 yay :)

Mando44646 said:

April 14th, 8:11 am

some of those Lego discounts are pretty good, though I wish the Vita ports werent sucky 3DS ports. The US isnt getting a big Easter sale like the ongoing one in EU right now? That sucks if we dont. I was hoping for really good sales to make up for the really super crappy Vita IGC this month

xClayMeow said:

April 14th, 8:15 am

Wish Castle of Illusion was on Vita, where platformers shine!

Brink-2-Chaos said:

April 14th, 8:16 am

haha oh boy

GForce_Wolf said:

April 14th, 8:18 am

when will we get LOCOROCO sale, PATAPON sale. FINAL FANTASY VII VIII and IX sale.
Also when will silent hill PSone classic be playable on vita?.

mthodmn101 said:

April 14th, 8:21 am

EU gets a big Easter sale and we get legos and chess? smh

jonjon0890 said:

April 14th, 8:21 am

Will I be able download the Genesis version of Castle of Illusion & a Mizrabel dynamic theme for free, even though I bought the game already? (I didn’t pre-ordered it when it first came out)

Kristine Steimer's Avatar

Kristine Steimer said:

April 14th, 12:47 pm

I’m not sure how it’s being set up on the store, so I don’t know I’m afraid.

Elvick_ said:

April 14th, 8:22 am

Would *BUY* Mickey again on PS Vita…

HitmanRebornEX said:

April 14th, 8:22 am

Guess i’ll give mickey a try
=3

sidney25lucas said:

April 14th, 8:23 am

disgeae Sale never have :) wait some rpg sale or final fantasy chris core psp to ps vita

GummyCore said:

April 14th, 8:23 am

Nice Lego sales. I have all those PS3 games but will buy again to replace disc version with digital (except Marvel, which I already bought digitally in the recent sale). Where’s Harry Potter yr 1-4?

samv33 said:

April 14th, 8:24 am

Kinda weak sales, but glad to see Castle of Illusion (I guess my avatar gives away the fact I bought it day one so I could get the Genesis version). Fun game, although I wasn’t a fan of having to collect certain items before you could finish the game. I didn’t feel like going back to previous levels just to hunt for the missing items, so I never beat it.

More pre-order bonuses like what Sega did for Castle of Illusion would be welcome, by the way.

michaelloveorcas said:

April 14th, 8:30 am

i have castle of illusion remake and the original game for the sega when I preordered the game it was a awesome preorder for $14.99

Shadow_Enz said:

April 14th, 8:31 am

Definitely wanted to try Mickey, I bet Ethan’ll be on the IGC eventually; calling it now.

joseph2411 said:

April 14th, 8:34 am

Theres a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Oots avatar on the sale, when is the game coming out on PSN?

Sgt_0951 said:

April 14th, 8:34 am

Okay week this week I guess. I may jump on some LEGO stuff, though I prefer to have disc copies of the LEGO games. Will definitely give Castle of Illusions a shot though.

Thanks for all that you offer every week. Great service.

MikeEmCee83 said:

April 14th, 8:36 am

Hopefully there’s a PS+ discounted price for Trials: Fusion too.

Blind-Lunacy said:

April 14th, 8:36 am

lol the sale is all lego’d out this week -_- at least we have a sale this week, cant say for last week. but i’ll be picking up mickey’s castle of illusion cause it looks like a pretty solid game. Thanks Sony

UC1993 said:

April 14th, 8:39 am

I was never a Plus member before but I am now thanks to your PS4 and my upgrade at Christmas. However, since becoming a plus member and starting to watch the PS Blog, I have noticed that there is way more love for the PS3 going on than for the PS4 and us early adopters. I think there are enough indy games coming out that the PS4 could get a little more rather than just 1 title while the the PS3 get several during the month.

I’m just saying……

zeenick said:

April 14th, 8:39 am

Kinda envy the EU sale going on but I suppose a lego sale is better than nothing.

PainOfSarrow said:

April 14th, 8:46 am

all about the sales.

andre_elias said:

April 14th, 8:48 am

I’m still sad I missed the two-day 50% sale on Tomb Raider and Thief for PS4. :\ I hope you guys do it again, maybe a Killzone sale too?… It’s about time, they’ve been full retail price for a long time now!

GummyCore said:

April 14th, 8:50 am

This is the PS Plus update post, it’s only showing the sale items that come with additional PS Plus discounts. There could (hopefully) still be more titles on sale not listed here, to be listed in the PSN Store Update post tomorrow.

hartbrek310 said:

April 14th, 8:52 am

Don’t recommend grabbing Lego Mavel. The controls are horrible for the flying missions, which ruins the whole game. CoI is great, though the final boss is hard but still a great game. May grab the Harry Potter Lego, since it’s one of the few I don’t have. Any chance of the first Harry Potter going cheap too??

iREVOLTER said:

April 14th, 8:57 am

Mickey is here, yeaaay! Deals are “low” though. Hope that we’ll see tomorrow an update on other sales I guess, maybe =\

Angelshadow_7 said:

April 14th, 8:59 am

Thanks for bringing back the the discounts!

Riomegon said:

April 14th, 9:03 am

When can we expect a Persona 3 Portable Discount for the VITA?!?!?!

GummyCore said:

April 14th, 9:04 am

I wholeheartedly recommend Lego Marvel. It’s the best Lego game ever, with the biggest open world and tons of things to do, not to mention that the story missions are awesome (great soundtrack too). Don’t be put off by the flying controls, it’s just a matter of getting used to (I have platted the game 3 times, I cleared most flying missions on single try).

Zarxce said:

April 14th, 9:04 am

*sings* Everything is awesome!

Had a fun time getting the plat for Lego Batman 2 on VIta. Might consider Lego Marvel this time around…

mthodmn101 said:

April 14th, 9:10 am

@30 newegg is having a sale today for ps4 games… killzone is 27.99 plus 10% off.

NotoriousJDP said:

April 14th, 9:12 am

Wow…I haven’t been this excited about offerings from PS+ in months. FREE THEME AND AVATARS! WOOT!

ElektroDragon said:

April 14th, 9:13 am

Come on, this is a game most people bought already!

megaben99 said:

April 14th, 9:20 am

Now what would it take to get a copy of Mickey Mousecapades included too….

GusVish said:

April 14th, 9:22 am

@UC1993 I’m with you 100%

yrdr said:

April 14th, 9:40 am

yes!!!:) Finally its Mickey mouse this week. When I saw that there is a lego sale, I actually thought the lego movie would be on sale too. I also hope there could some of those flash sales. Awesome sales ps plus team keep up with the awesome work.

neuropunk said:

April 14th, 9:41 am

On the developer’s Facebook page they stated that TMNT Out of the Shadows is coming out this week and for a PS+ discount. If that is true, it is not reflected in your list. So, why can’t your PSN team be a bit more straight forward with us?

Those sales, meh. Just put the first Mass Effect up for sale already.

yrdr said:

April 14th, 9:47 am

I am also having a blast with batman arkham origins, its a great game, plus I am also playing spec ops the line again but on fubar mode.

snakeeyes211 said:

April 14th, 9:50 am

nothing for me this week.
@UC1993 I’m with you 100%

TmF1979 said:

April 14th, 9:52 am

neuropunk is right:

“Update for our PlayStation community,

Thank you for your enthusiasm and your patience these last many months. The delay in game was very disappointing news for all of us, but it was to polish the PSN game to the highest of levels. With that being said, we have some great news! The day has come for your questions to be answered: TMNT: Out of the Shadows will be available April 15th for download!

Thank you for your loyalty and continued support!”

That was posted on April 1 followed by:

“We promise, this is not an April Fool’s Joke. And definitely look out for PlayStation Plus perks!”

Kristine Steimer's Avatar

Kristine Steimer said:

April 14th, 12:44 pm

Is there another source where they say to expect a discount? From what you posted all they said was “perks”, which would be the free avatar set at the bottom of the discounts list :)

hazelcabug said:

April 14th, 9:54 am

75% sale next week or by the end of the month please…. thanks

neuropunk said:

April 14th, 9:56 am

@ TmF1979 – thank you, I should have posted that.

So, are the developers lying or is the PSN staff keeping it from us? I know it’s supposedly mediocre and the turtles are super ugly, but as a huge TMNT fan, if the discount is enough I’ll probably bite, also depending on what people say about it after it releases, IF, a big IF it releases.

So, just tell us already. I hate it when people keep things from you.

SeanStrange said:

April 14th, 9:56 am

Looking forward to the LEGO sales this week. Going to delve Into some on my Vita!

PAGE 1 2 3 4