PS4 - The Last of Us Remastered

inFAMOUS Second Son Patch Out Tomorrow

Brian Fleming's Avatar + Posted by Brian Fleming on Apr 16, 2014 // Sucker Punch Productions

I have some good news for you. We’ve made great progress on the inFAMOUS Second Son patch on PS4 I promised you a couple weeks back. In fact, we expect to publish it on PSN tomorrow, April 17th.

Now first, let me update you on the specifics I promised, and then toss in a few extra goodies that we managed to squeeze in when nobody was looking. First — addressing one of the top two requests we’ve gotten — you’ll be able to disable the HUD, and once you’ve finished the game you’ll be able to adjust the time of day as you like.

We also promised, and have included, an option to cap the game frame rate at 30 FPS if you prefer playing this way. To set expectations for you all: this is a frame rate cap — not a lock. It won’t eliminate the rare instance of a dropped frame during gameplay.

But that’s all stuff you expected. Let’s talk about a few surprises, saving the best for last:

• A handful of localization text changes, and a couple of fixes for rare crashes in the game (Thanks to all of you who uploaded reports on those, they were extremely helpful!).
  • If your controller runs out of batteries in the middle of gameplay, your game will pause. Our art director pulled a hamstring scrambling to get his second controller mid-boss-battle, so we needed to fix this.
  • If you’re choosing expert difficulty, we let you know within the options dialog if you’re qualified for the “Unstoppable” trophy the moment you opt in.
  • Photo Mode.

Wait, what’s that last one? We were totally amazed at the quality of the screenshots you all shared. Amazed. So we thought we’d try to help you all out. With this patch, you can enable photo mode within the options. Once you do that, clicking L3 will pause the game, and allow you to use a suite of our internal tools (like setting depth of field) to take even more amazing shots.

To hold you over until the patch goes live tomorrow, check out the brief video tutorial above showing how the Photo Mode works!

Final full disclosures and fine print: these options and settings, including frame rate, will reset to defaults each time you restart the game. We chose to not disturb our game save file format with this patch in order get these features to you as quickly as we could. Additionally, Photo Mode will only work in situations where the camera is freely movable by players. In scripted sequences/cutscenes you can still take screenshots of course, just not with the Photo Mode tools.

We hope you enjoy the new tools and the Photo Mode, and we can’t wait to see what you come up with! Enjoy, and talk again soon.

PAGE 1 2 3

+ snakeeyes211 on April 16th, 2014 at 9:07 am said:

So what is the normal frame rate of the game?

Brian Fleming's Avatar

+ Ken Schramm on April 16th, 2014 at 9:56 am said:

If you choose the option the game will be capped at 30fps.

+ BattleSkard on April 16th, 2014 at 9:08 am said:

Nice love this game. DLC ETA?

+ Deadpoolian on April 16th, 2014 at 9:08 am said:

Photo Mode sounds sooooo cool! Can’t wait to try it out. :D

+ LTWOOD12 on April 16th, 2014 at 9:09 am said:

Good to see vertical aim set to ‘inverted’ when he goes into the options menu. We’re a dying breed.

+ Aroxan on April 16th, 2014 at 9:10 am said:

Really excited for this! Now I shall conquer expert difficulty!

+ onslaughtree on April 16th, 2014 at 9:18 am said:

This game is so F’n AMAZING……….
Photo mode just takes it to another lever. Great work SP.

+ Vikestart95 on April 16th, 2014 at 9:21 am said:

Regarding the Time of Day option, will we be able to choose a mode with day and night cycles progress naturally instead of choosing a specific time of day?

Brian Fleming's Avatar

+ Ken Schramm on April 16th, 2014 at 9:58 am said:

Option will be to choose a specific time of day to renter the mission. Only be available after you finish the game.

+ Cyris on April 16th, 2014 at 9:25 am said:

Considering how well you guys listen to the fans and make highly requested changes, I think you guys are ready to tackle MP in the next inFAMOUS game. It’d be great to see a dev implement MP into a game and take feedback while it’s in development instead of waiting til after release. I’m sure you guys have a ton of great ideas for some co-op or competitive online and you should really go for it.

Great work on the patch, can’t wait to see what you guys have in mind for DLC, hopefully another “What if?” scenario like FoB.

+ Grosboeuf on April 16th, 2014 at 9:42 am said:

Amazing!

And the ringtone? :/

Brian Fleming's Avatar

+ Ken Schramm on April 16th, 2014 at 10:00 am said:

You’ll find the download link to the kit on our Second Son page http://tinyurl.com/owwpwvc on our website It is located at top of the “downloads” module in the right column.

+ charleschannels on April 16th, 2014 at 9:48 am said:

Dear Sucker Punch, thank you for the free inFamous Soundtrack.

+ ZAANOS on April 16th, 2014 at 9:50 am said:

Hi SP, please give us a SANDBOX Mode next.

SANDBOX MODE: (ACCESS TO ENTIRE MAP IMMEDIATELY WITH ALL POWERS UNLOCKED, ABILITY TO SHIFT BETWEEN GOOD AND EVIL POWERS, ALL DUP BUILDINGS AND GUARD PRESENCE IS RESET READY TO BE DESTROYED AND ENGAGED. ENEMY SPAWNING FOR ADDITIONAL CHALLENGE: LITTER A DUP BASE WITH ADDITIONAL ENEMIES. )

Brian Fleming's Avatar

+ Ken Schramm on April 16th, 2014 at 10:05 am said:

Nice thoughts, but this upcoming patch tomorrow will address the fixes/additions we’re currently able to make.

+ KermitDFrag on April 16th, 2014 at 9:53 am said:

Oh very very cool! Can’t wait for another play through. I really like taking and sharing screenshots and I was always disappointed with not being able to hide the HUD or going into 1st person mode, but this goes WAY beyond my expectations. WTG Sucker Punch!

+ WaterElemental on April 16th, 2014 at 9:54 am said:

Concrete ‘Super-Move’ please, and ‘God Mode’ would be pretty awesome! :)

No multi-player needed. :)

+ InAnimateAlpha on April 16th, 2014 at 10:03 am said:

Thanks for the update. Amazingly the most I’m impressed with is the notification if you will be eligible for the Expert trophy. I was nervous my entire playthrough because I wasn’t sure I changed the setting soon enough.

Brian Fleming's Avatar

+ Ken Schramm on April 16th, 2014 at 10:06 am said:

Glad we were able to throw that in as well. We started hearing more about the issue as you all were finishing your second playthru or more.

+ CommandingTiger on April 16th, 2014 at 10:10 am said:

Hopefully, this fixes a lot of the bugs I’ve encountered with the PSN store version.
Trophy fix?

+ Theewok on April 16th, 2014 at 10:10 am said:

When can we get a “Review” option? so we can rewatch cutscenes or listen to audio files or replay missions?? other inFAMOUS titles had this

+ CommandingTiger on April 16th, 2014 at 10:13 am said:

Will you guys add the option to make your own missions like in Infamous 2?
This would add much replay value to the game.

+ PhillipsDinas on April 16th, 2014 at 10:13 am said:

Very impressed with the game. Is there scope to free up the movement of the smoke power to have something very similar to the flying in the festival of blood?

+ BrendanGriffiths on April 16th, 2014 at 10:13 am said:

Some cool stuff added via the patch. I loved taking my own pics for my review, might go back and try and recreate some minus the HUD.

I’ve been thinking about where the series might go next, along with a few improvements for Delsin’s skillset if anyone fancies a read of my article. Contains a few minor spoilers.

+ rivencleft on April 16th, 2014 at 10:17 am said:

What if you’ve already been playing on Expert Difficulty, is there a way to check to make sure you’ll still be able to get the ‘Unstoppable’ trophy? Already beat the game on Easy and almost at Platinum but it’d be nice to know if you’re eligible for the trophy even more than half-way through the campaign on expert. I changed the difficulty to Expert right as you were allowed to take control of Delsin so hopefully I won’t have any issues receiving the platinum once I beat it again.

And thank you Sucker Punch for continued support and development of the game and it’s fan-base, releasing the soundtrack for free was an awesome thank you to the fans as well as the extra missions post release, I will always support Sucker Punch. Thanks again.

+ T3DV0L70L1N4 on April 16th, 2014 at 10:19 am said:

Thanks for adding the feature that pauses the game when your controller dies. I feel your Art Director’s pain.

@11 — I actually like that idea. Didn’t Infamous 2 have the ability to switch between all sets of powers if you beat it on good and evil? I haven’t finished my 2nd playthrough yet, so I honestly don’t know if that feature is back in SS.

+ GeoDarky on April 16th, 2014 at 10:29 am said:

Awesome news, thanks you guys for listening and adding new stuff to the game SP <3

+ BrendanGriffiths on April 16th, 2014 at 10:33 am said:

@rivencleft. I got it to ping by pausing an existing save, changing the difficulty to Expert, saving, then selecting New Game and playing it all the way through. This meant it was in expert mode from the very very start. I’ve heard your way works too, although also heard it din’t ping for some, but maybe they didn’t change it straight away.

Fingers crossed for you!

+ Elex163 on April 16th, 2014 at 10:36 am said:

The issue I been having is that the aspect is off. The map is cut off and power bar. The screen doesn’t fit the tv and there’s no option to adjust the screen. Can this be fixed in the future? Thanks.

Brian Fleming's Avatar

+ Justin Massongill on April 16th, 2014 at 11:51 am said:

If I’m understanding your issue correctly, this functionality is actually built into PS4 now, rather than being set on a per-game basis. On your PS4 menu, head to Settings > Sound and Screen > Display Area Settings to modify the area of your screen in which applications will be displayed.

+ finaler on April 16th, 2014 at 10:59 am said:

Looks like a nice update. Love seeing these photo type features. Wish it was more of a standard for all games.

+ Dead-Sync on April 16th, 2014 at 11:00 am said:

This is absolutely awesome. Being a first time infamous player (had a 360 last gen) I’m constantly impressed with the support the first party titles get and that speaks to the quality of both sony and the guys at sucker punch. This is a REALLY really cool update, just because it’s not only fixes: but some neat features too. As a photographer myself, I’m really going to enjoy sinking time into Photo Mode, and the aperture setting for DoF is a nice touch too. I’m in the middle of my expert/evil run now, so this will certainly make things more interesting!!

+ Figboy on April 16th, 2014 at 11:17 am said:

Awesome! I platinumed it last weekend, but I’m eager to dive back in and take some cool photos (and finish Paper Trail, of course!)

While I’m on it: more stuff like Paper Trail, please! Excellent idea and execution.

+ Kleyfly on April 16th, 2014 at 11:28 am said:

I just came here to say Awesome game! Thanks guys :)

Brian Fleming's Avatar

+ Ken Schramm on April 16th, 2014 at 11:29 am said:

Thanks all for the all the great comments on the game. We had a lot of fun making it and hope you like all the additional features and fixes within the patch tomorrow.

+ Elvick_ on April 16th, 2014 at 11:52 am said:

The game is amazing, best on the PS4 so far. Can’t wait for Sucker Punch’s next game!

Really happy with the updates you guys have done here. I love the photo mode in Rayman Legends and ever since playing it have wished every game had the same thing. So having it in inFamous, one of the most lovely games on PS4 is amazing.

“If you’re choosing expert difficulty, we let you know within the options dialog if you’re qualified for the “Unstoppable” trophy the moment you opt in.”

That’s a great option, though it’s still a bit strange you guys don’t just have us pick at the start of a new game. I started my hard playthrough before switching to it, and I got to jump from a water tower (or w/e they are) to the other before realizing I had to switch. Luckily that still qualified. I had taken the chance that you wouldn’t kick that stuff on until combat started for the first time.

+ againes on April 16th, 2014 at 11:54 am said:

SUCKEPUNCH IF YOU SEE THIS POST PLEASE MAKE FETCH A PLAYABLE DLC CHARACTER IN THE FUTURE. SHES A REALLY COOL CHARACTER TO THE SERIES BUT IT FELT LIKE MORE OF HER WAS MISSING. I EMAIL YOU GUYS DAYS AGO. IOULD REALLY LOVE TO PLAY HER STORY OF BASHING DRUG DEALERS WITH HER NEON POWERS.

+ an-inFamous1337 on April 16th, 2014 at 12:04 pm said:

I finished the game last week, good ending. Can’t wait to play it again with the new patch in the evil ending.

+ Insomniac1206 on April 16th, 2014 at 12:24 pm said:

Very cool. I just want to say thank you for an amazing game. I love all the details you put into it and I’m really excited about gaming again. I can’t wait to see what you guys put out next!

+ cronqvist on April 16th, 2014 at 12:27 pm said:

Photo Mode looks so cool it should be in every game from now on.

+ saltyskabz on April 16th, 2014 at 12:28 pm said:

Awesome job guys!

+ xCh0z3n-0n3x on April 16th, 2014 at 12:30 pm said:

You know what would also be cool?…if The DUP Raids began to spread and the DUP control percentage began to increase over time, in real time. So if I don’t play the game for a good week. when i go back to it, most if not all of the city is taken over by then. It may sound annoying to some but it would be cool and would keep me coming back for more.

+ CrownedLion on April 16th, 2014 at 12:35 pm said:

Thanks for the Soundtrack – I listened to a bunch of it this morning and really enjoyed it.

I’ve really been having fun with Paper Trail. I love the insane amount of details and cool “easter-egg” type stuff, as well as the puzzle-solving. It really is a nice addition to the game that keeps me coming back for more. After flying around the city in a blur, it’s good to slow down and sort through the finer details of the inFAMOUS world. It really opens things up, and I am thoroughly intrigued by the possibilities for the future…

I think you have set an excellent precedent for the level of quality, value, support, and ingenuity that other developers should strive for.

+ JF_Tundra on April 16th, 2014 at 12:37 pm said:

Awesome, the fps cap will come in handy! And the photo mode looks awesome, can’t wait to take some sweet screenshots of this sweet game!

+ Welmosca on April 16th, 2014 at 12:37 pm said:

Good job SP on supporting Second Son…thats how you do it.

– If you’re choosing expert difficulty, we let you know within the options dialog if you’re qualified for the “Unstoppable” trophy the moment you opt in.

This was a helluva addition.

+ TomatoDragon on April 16th, 2014 at 12:38 pm said:

Oh god…I’m gonna spend hours setting up the perfect shots. LOL! Way to go, SP!

+ SpooNManX on April 16th, 2014 at 12:39 pm said:

Great update!
Hey, do I win prize for guessing/suggesting “Photo Mode” w/ DOF adjustments on the 4/1 blog? :P

“+ SpooNManX on April 1st, 2014 at 1:50 pm said:
Glad to see the HUD removal option. The pictures always look more impressive without that.

What about an all out “PHOTO MODE” much like many car racing games have. Where you get a virtual camera and can play with lighting and DOF effects. I think that would be a lot of fun and also show off the amazing graphics even further.

Now all we need is Sony to add the ability to save your snapshots as PNG. The jpg compression adds way too many artifacts and noise. PNG being a lossless format would get rid of that and show nothing but beauty!”

+ NutzMcTaffy on April 16th, 2014 at 12:40 pm said:

I have been a hardcore infamous fan since the original. my fav game of the last gen…. my fav last gen moments when you find out kessler is you from the future, and then in infamous 2 when the beast shows up out of nowhere and the look on coles face of fear even though he runs right towards him on the pier ,… AMAZING … Second Son improved in every aspect ad I cant wait to see what the future holds for this game….. Delsin is awesome , hoping to see what kind of DLC comes out for this… cough ..cough … new powers maybe?…………. also hoping to repopulate seatle with more baddies I am running out of things to do….. THANK YOU SUCKER PUNCH THANK YOU….

+ Catcher_BR on April 16th, 2014 at 12:42 pm said:

oh my i’m in tears right now, this is amazing huuhauhea a photo mode ? never that of that, thank you. I will play a lot with these and TOD, the 30fps cap its something i cant imagine people complain about it…

a guy suggested

“ALL DUP BUILDINGS AND GUARD PRESENCE IS RESET READY TO BE DESTROYED AND ENGAGED”

yes this would be awesome, to really just enjoy and have fun with the power after you finished.

+ Bubblefire on April 16th, 2014 at 12:47 pm said:

Photo mode sound really cool. :-)

+ NateDrake1301 on April 16th, 2014 at 12:51 pm said:

Looks awesome, I wanted take screenshots while I was in air but that didn’t really work so I ‘mglad that you guys made this
Thanks for an awesome game Sucker Punch, I finished hero mode but I’m not done before I finish the evil mode :-D

+ JUST-A-SPAZ on April 16th, 2014 at 1:06 pm said:

Will there eventually be a patch later down the road that will make sure our settings stick when we re-launch the game? I know you guys said you didn’t wanna mess with the save file format right now due to trying to get the patch to us quickly, but is this something you’ll work on slower and more carefully, so that we can have our preferences stick?

Thank you for working so hard on this glorious update and listening to fan feedback. It is much appreciated.

+ D-Squad3 on April 16th, 2014 at 1:16 pm said:

That’s awesome, every game should have photo mode!

+ GustavoLT1982 on April 16th, 2014 at 1:35 pm said:

why is the shadows loading so close!?

+ PROPLAYAJAY on April 16th, 2014 at 1:39 pm said:

Love these ideas, couple more recommendations to improve replay-ability:
-MORE/HARDER/SMARTER ENEMY TYPES.
-ENEMY CHASES.
-HORDE MODE.

+ Folkeye on April 16th, 2014 at 1:41 pm said:

I’m a photo junkie, I’m doomed.

Thanks SP!

Now…. I know you have Paper Trail, but here’s to hoping for more game expansion in the future! :)

+ DREW0097 on April 16th, 2014 at 1:45 pm said:

Great Game completed it twice good and bad can’t get enough of it! If possible maybe try to add a 4 vs 4 multiplayer of CONDUITS vs CONDUITS, or maybe BIO-T’S vs DUP’S that would be cool. If the concrete powers were introduced earlier that would be good so you can upgrade them and have fun using them before completing the campaign. ? Overall the game is great though 5 *****

PAGE 1 2 3