PS4 - Destiny

PS4 Sales Surpass 7 Million Globally

Sid Shuman's Avatar + Posted by Sid Shuman on Apr 16, 2014 // Senior Manager, Social Media

Hi guys! I’ve got a quick update to share with you. Sony Computer Entertainment, Inc. just announced that PS4 has cumulatively sold through more than 7.0 million units globally as of April 6th, 2014. PS4 software sales are another bright spot, with more than 20.5 million copies sold at retail and PlayStation Store worldwide as of April 13th, 2014.

On behalf of the entire global team at PlayStation, I want to thank you for your unprecedented support and for making PS4 your next-generation console of choice. We couldn’t have done this without you! And please keep the feedback coming: we are listening.

On that note, we’ll have some great new details to share with you regarding our upcoming PS4 system software update very soon. Stay tuned! (update: kablammo)

+ IIL0YDII on April 16th, 2014 at 4:18 pm said:

Congratz!

+ The_Dukie85 on April 16th, 2014 at 4:20 pm said:

Damn proud to be one of those 7m. Way to go, Sony. You guys (and ladies) deserve it.

+ Superstone on April 16th, 2014 at 4:24 pm said:

Congrats!!!! How about PS2 titles playable on PS4 and the Vita.

+ Bubblefire on April 16th, 2014 at 4:32 pm said:

7 Million, just dang! Congratulations!

+ WrekGar on April 16th, 2014 at 4:32 pm said:

Plain and simple “GREATNESS HAS ARRIVED”

+ PaladinCulebra on April 16th, 2014 at 4:33 pm said:

Congratulations! Looking forward to E3!

+ ATOMS11 on April 16th, 2014 at 4:37 pm said:

Well deserved! I must say so myself.

+ TooLVolta on April 16th, 2014 at 4:38 pm said:

Congratulations, i got my PS4 on black friday and i’ve been fully enjoying it since. I’m excited for the much needed update to the software. Keep up the good work and games guys, Beyond!

+ Mando44646 on April 16th, 2014 at 4:39 pm said:

Congrats Sony! Can we have an Easter sale now like EU has please?

+ PainOfSarrow on April 16th, 2014 at 4:46 pm said:

well done sony

+ boob-monster on April 16th, 2014 at 4:48 pm said:

I bought my ps4 shortly after release and i think it currently is the second best console ever, the best one in history is playstation vita though. it is a shame vita hardware dosent sell well, it really should sell more. what vita need is an agresive publicity campaign that shows all the amazing games it have, necause it dosent matter how many awesome game it gets, if people dont know about them they wont be able to buy them.

+ Shin-Ra on April 16th, 2014 at 4:55 pm said:

Nice.

.PNG screenshot capture in a system software update soon, please!

+ FourCartidge on April 16th, 2014 at 5:04 pm said:

Congrats on the milestone!

Just keep on making stuff that appeals to video game enthusiasts and the audience comes naturally; I myself am excited for Morpheus.

PS+ pickings are rather slim, as I don’t really have enough money to get a game every time one comes out, so I have to rely on it for what I play in a week more often than not., but that’s my only beef with the system so far. Keep it up!

+ The_Dukie85 on April 16th, 2014 at 5:10 pm said:

Now, if only I could get mah Dark Cloud 3 PS4 announcement… *wink, wink, nudge, nudge*

+ Alyyse on April 16th, 2014 at 5:18 pm said:

Nice!

+ anothernormalman on April 16th, 2014 at 5:23 pm said:

Congrats! The PlayStation community grows even larger, and I can’t wait to get a PS4 myself soon.

+ Husteen on April 16th, 2014 at 5:25 pm said:

congratulations. i can guarantee you’ll get one more sale from me whenever i can get one in a store.

and can’t wait to see that new update in action, particularly the “enhanced” video editing tools!

+ The-Iron-Quilt on April 16th, 2014 at 5:28 pm said:

You guys came a long way and it’s about time u guys show the world who runs the gaming community Playstation forever ..ps I can’t wait for the last of us ps4

+ Drew_Croft on April 16th, 2014 at 5:32 pm said:

And 6 million of them are on the shelf getting dust from no games.

+ ratchetdude231 on April 16th, 2014 at 5:43 pm said:

that greats I am really happy for you guys the future of this console looks very Promising but could you guys please improve the PS4 games in the Ps plus instant game collection I want more triple A kinda games

+ D-Squad3 on April 16th, 2014 at 5:44 pm said:

Now just release games.

+ EvilBan on April 16th, 2014 at 5:47 pm said:

Celebrate with a free game or store credit?

+ DaNTi3L on April 16th, 2014 at 5:48 pm said:

Amazing and congratulations…now bring them exclusives full force

+ saab01 on April 16th, 2014 at 5:48 pm said:

Good job. The PS4 still needs better games exclusive wise I know it’s early but I Hope next year we will see some nice exclusives coming out looking forward to the order 1886.

+ Skelunkafunk on April 16th, 2014 at 5:52 pm said:

Congratulations Sony

+ Sum-Mischief on April 16th, 2014 at 5:53 pm said:

Its been a very easy choice …well for most.

+ LUCIFERSGLEAM on April 16th, 2014 at 5:56 pm said:

I guess this means the games should start to come out more rapidly.

+ God-Of-Lyf on April 16th, 2014 at 5:57 pm said:

I wonder how many of those were returned? Anyways 7 million disappointed buyers globally. Congrats. Just Saying…

+ umutpasha83 on April 16th, 2014 at 5:58 pm said:

I want more exclusive games for my İndieStation4 Geatness awaits !! (Probably 2 more year)

+ BEATMAKIN85 on April 16th, 2014 at 6:00 pm said:

Can we get customization to the user interface? Also a youtube app?And the ability to play media from an external hard drive? thanks and congrats on the 7million!

+ CommandingTiger on April 16th, 2014 at 6:17 pm said:

Hey Sony.
It would be great to have a simultaneous launch of the PS Now service in both US and Canada.
Start applying now with the CRTC to get this thing up and running by the end of the year. (Because they are slow to get new applications up and running here)

Also, you should hire more people to get updates faster.
I have a few suggestions to improve the overall look of the UI as well.
It would really make it more intuitive.

+ jcgoodekillz on April 16th, 2014 at 6:18 pm said:

im gonna add to the ps4 list im picking one up in may immediately

+ diegoraza on April 16th, 2014 at 6:20 pm said:

congratulations! from a proud user of PlayStation since the beginning!!

+ Jobocan on April 16th, 2014 at 6:28 pm said:

7 million consoles sold, no games worth playing…. Wouldn’t call this a good thing.

+ mastorofpuppetz on April 16th, 2014 at 6:37 pm said:

This is ridiculous, why can’t sony just detail what is coming in the new update? Talk about slow and poor communication. MS detailes every month what new features are coming and even have a beta program. Sony OS updates and communication leave a lot to be desired

+ mastorofpuppetz on April 16th, 2014 at 6:37 pm said:

@84, there are many great game son PS4, compared to ps3 it’s library is way better at the same time in it’s life cycle.

+ mastorofpuppetz on April 16th, 2014 at 6:39 pm said:

People saying there are no games..there are 50 already ff14 just launched in MAy is MLb the SHow, Daylight, Watch dogs, just in the next few weeks. First console launch? It takes awhile for the library to grow, compared to ps3 ps4 has way more games at the same point in its life.

+ bloodbath666 on April 16th, 2014 at 6:41 pm said:

Return of the king.

+ Nemisis666 on April 16th, 2014 at 6:51 pm said:

Congratulations maybe some new stuff is in order? Perhaps giving out a free title? Killzone maybe? Maybe a free month of ps+ or credits added to ps4 accounts?
My main concern honestly is firmware features.
MP3 support
DLNA support
Blu tooth headset support
Ps now full access beta?!

+ mastorofpuppetz on April 16th, 2014 at 6:56 pm said:

@89 exactly, Sony did a lot right with ps4, but right now the biggest flaw is the OS feature set needs improving a lot, and the speed at which sony is moving on this.

+ Nemisis666 on April 16th, 2014 at 7:03 pm said:

@90
Its unfortunate cause I absolutely love my ps4 but I hate that my 8 year old ps3 has so much more basic features that are all missing and with no new update on anything promised at launch its concerning. They need to take our words more seriously maybe keep us out of the dark more.

+ HomelessGirl on April 16th, 2014 at 7:12 pm said:

Congratulations Sony! Can’t wait for all the upcoming games this summer. :P

+ Guimace on April 16th, 2014 at 7:25 pm said:

Happy to be with PlayStation.

Congrats!

+ deathuponhe52 on April 16th, 2014 at 7:29 pm said:

I have got to say sony this has been one of the greatest gaming consoles that you guys have ever came up with it’s super sleek and very fast and the graphics are to die for I’m a really huge fan of sony got myself almost all of your consoles except the psone but you guys are awesome and can’t wait for the new system software update. Thank you sid and the sony team for giving us the right choice of console ……………………………………..LONG LIVE SONY FOREVER

+ GrapeTyphlosion on April 16th, 2014 at 7:34 pm said:

That’s incredible!! Congratulations, I can’t wait to finally get my PS4!!

+ Hooligantuan on April 16th, 2014 at 7:40 pm said:

Loving the PS4!

Need more control over the media bar content!

Need to be able to offload screenshots and video via USB!

Need MP3 support! Nobody missed that the PS4 failed to support MP3s concurrently with a massive push for the Music Unlimited service!

Again, loving the PS4! Promise! Keep improving, though!

+ xCROSSxFADEx on April 16th, 2014 at 7:47 pm said:

Congratulations on all of your success so far. I’m pretty confident that your success will continue for quite some time. Thank you for making, in my opinion, the best place to game in the newest generation of consoles. And I will add to your success whenever I gather up the money to purchase a PS4 of my own. Keep up the good work!

+ God_Like_Chris on April 16th, 2014 at 8:03 pm said:

Great Job Sony, and keep up the awesome work!

+ DaftStation on April 16th, 2014 at 8:11 pm said: