PS4-The Order

PAX East Through the Eyes of a PlayStation MVP

Charles Kirschner's Avatar + Posted by Charles Kirschner on Apr 17, 2014 // PlayStation MVP

Hey everyone!

As most of you know, PAX East was last weekend. As a PlayStation MVP, I was one of the many thousands of gamers in attendance, and I wanted to share some of my experiences and takeaways from the convention.

PlayStation Community at PAX East '14

Like most gamers who attend PAX East, I was hoping to get new info and maybe even hands-on time with the next big wave of games for 2014.

On Day 1, I immediately headed over to the PlayStation Worldwide Studios Community Exchange to purchase some of the PAX-exclusive T-shirts and other swag they had available and then shifted my focus towards the games.

PlayStation Community at PAX East '14PlayStation Community at PAX East '14

I tried my hand at the Killzone: Shadow Fall Bot Zone challenge at the PlayStation booth (I lost), grabbed a Tearaway poster, and attended a community town hall with the Naughty Dog community team before heading over to watch some 4v1 gameplay at the Evolve booth. Afterwards, I went to the Indie booth section, where I got to try out games such as Secret Ponchos, Transistor, and Octodad: Dadliest Catch.

PlayStation Community at PAX East '14

Square Enix showcased Murdered: Soul Suspect on the Expo floor, and it was one of the most interesting games at PAX. It’s a narrative-style supernatural ghost crime thriller, and it stars a hardened detective who’s trying to solve his own murder before passing on or being trapped in limbo.

PlayStation Community at PAX East '14

PlayStation Community at PAX East '14

I also attended the Murdered Soul Suspect panel discussing the development process for the game. Square invited attendees to a separate VIP fan event on Saturday, where we experienced the “afterlife” and went face to face with a ghost from Salem! It was spooky for sure, but once I regained my wits I was able to get some more hands-on time with the game. I’ll be keeping a close eye on this one.

Before leaving the expo, there were two more games I had to check out: The Evil Within and Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel. Both looked great — I was particularly impressed with some of the new gameplay mechanics and weapons in Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel.

PAX East ’14 was a blast — it proved to be a very social experience, and the games on display did not disappoint. One thing I admire about gamers is their willingness to stand in insanely long lines to be the first to experience new things, and that mindset was in full force at PAX. At the same time, it was great chatting with fellow gamers while waiting to play games or attend panels, and experiencing first-hand how passionate this community is towards their hobby. There really is something for every type of gamer at PAX — from console to tabletop, from retro to current-gen — I highly recommend you attend if you’ve never been to one.

PlayStation Community at PAX East '14PlayStation Community at PAX East '14

How about you guys? Did you make it to PAX East? If so, share your experience in the comments below. Even if you couldn’t attend, let us know what your highlights of the show were!

+ Y2David on April 17th, 2014 at 8:53 am said:

ck, Very nice recap of your experience :)

Charles Kirschner's Avatar

+ Charles Kirschner on April 17th, 2014 at 10:49 am said:

Thanks! I’m glad you enjoyed it.

+ Brink-2-Chaos on April 17th, 2014 at 9:13 am said:

very nice

+ Navick on April 17th, 2014 at 9:27 am said:

How can we get our hands on that sweet Delsin statue?!

Charles Kirschner's Avatar

+ Eric Monacelli on April 17th, 2014 at 12:30 pm said:

It’s super limited edition. There are about 223 left that were made. Hopefully we can get these out at future shows like PAX but we’ll see!

+ ChaseHammerJ on April 17th, 2014 at 9:39 am said:

Ive been neglecting my MVP status. Need to step up my game. :)

+ WrekGar on April 17th, 2014 at 10:19 am said:

Great write up Charles I can never get the words out properly to express the elation I have of being at PAX!

@Navick only 300 Delsin statues were made and they sold 77 of them at PAX the others were for the PlayStation auction and Devs. So right now the only way to get 1 is if they make more (I don’t think will happen) or EBAY (which the $$$ has doubled).

Charles Kirschner's Avatar

+ Paul Sullivan on April 17th, 2014 at 10:31 am said:

Nice pictures though, Wrek! ;)

+ tusunami on April 17th, 2014 at 11:20 am said:

Well even though I couldn’t attend Pax. I do have the twitch app on my iphone 5s gold edition which I can watch!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ RISE_UP44 on April 17th, 2014 at 12:38 pm said:

The biggest complaint i heard at PAX was actually something I think had substance and that is they took several of the womens rooms and turned them into Mens rooms at the BCEC for the show because they said they would have more males etc.. I thought that was kinda stupid and a bad move, they are getting a ton of heat for it.. lol..

+ Elvick_ on April 17th, 2014 at 2:21 pm said:

Wish that Delsin statue would have been in a Second Son Collector’s Edition. ):

+ leckm on April 18th, 2014 at 1:29 am said:

awesome

+ Navick on April 18th, 2014 at 3:34 am said:

Point me in the right direction Eric! I will buy one on the spot!!! Oh and Let’s go Mets!

+ younginflavor18 on April 19th, 2014 at 4:25 am said:

I see that you guys had fun at PAX East ’14, I might consider attending one for the first time next year.

+ tangle11 on April 19th, 2014 at 8:17 am said:

I WENT TO PAX EAST IN BOSTON AND I HAD A BLAST. I WAITED IN LINE AT THE TWITCH BOOTH FOR 4 HRS. TO GET A BACKPACK AND TSHIRT. I WENT OVER TO THE CREW, SAW THE DEMO TO WATCH DOGS, PLAYED KINECT SPORTS RIVALS BOWLING. WENT TO THE PLAYSTATION BOOTH. I GOT SOMETHING TO EAT.

+ Welmosca on April 20th, 2014 at 12:43 am said:

That Delsin statue.

+ jenyjhon on April 22nd, 2014 at 4:49 am said:

Love my job, since I’ve been bringing in $87h… I sit at home, music playing while I work in front of my new iMac that I got now that I’m making it online. All I do are easy tasks from this one cool site
……………………