Days Gone

Apr 22

Apr 22

Soulcalibur: Lost Swords Out Today on PS3

J. Kartje's Avatar Posted by Community Manager, Namco Bandai

Soulcalibur Lost Swords

Hey gang. The endless story of souls and swords marches forward. Starting today, PS3 owners will be able to download our latest Soulcalibur title, Soulcalibur: Lost Swords, for free.

That’s right, I said free! Soulcalibur: Lost Swords takes everything you like about the series — the fast and fluid, weapon-based combat, the beautiful graphics, the customization options — and wraps it all up in a free-to-play game worthy of the Soulcalibur legacy. We’ll also be bringing back some fan-favorite characters that missed the fight in Soulcalibur V, including Sophitia and Taki. Be sure to keep a look out for other returning characters as well as time goes on.

There are some changes to the Soulcalibur formula that we are implementing in Lost Swords. The first one you’re going to notice is that the game is single-player only and revolves around players making their way through a series of quests to gain items. These items can be accessories such as clothing options or new weapons to give your character extra flair or increased stats. These upgraded items will be essential as you tackle later quests.

Soulcalibur Lost SwordsSoulcalibur Lost Swords

Soulcalibur: Lost Swords isn’t a totally solo experience, though. Once players have outfitted their characters to their specifications, they can upload their character for other players to download and help assist in battles as an ally. The more you help out other players, the more Friend Points you will receive, allowing for added bonuses.

Be sure to check out the game when PlayStation Store is updated today. And as a special gift from the development team, if you log in within the first four weeks, you’ll receive a set of bonus items as our thank you!

Add Your Own

esko said:

April 22nd, 12:42 pm

Really PS3 why not PS4

Husteen said:

April 22nd, 12:42 pm

ooh la la, didn’t think anything of this until i saw the word “free.” glad i’ll finally be able to check out a soulcalibur game because i’ve never played one before. interested to see exactly what kind of free to play this will be, but i really just want to check out the game.

iREVOLTER said:

April 22nd, 12:52 pm

The f2p model is broken. You almost can’t do anything without paying, just so you know about it. Better get SC V or even IV and its going to be better than a so called “free” game.

Jacob_Allen_1987 said:

April 22nd, 2:20 pm

the store has updated but I can’t find this game

m7419 said:

April 22nd, 3:09 pm

@ 54: I found it under free to play in games,but it says “this content cannot be selected at this time”. Maybe I’ll check again a bit later.

isbragg said:

April 22nd, 3:10 pm

This game is oddly missing from today’s Store update. A big panel appears for the game in the Free-To-Play section, and selecting it brings up a dialog box that reads, “This item cannot be selected at this time”. The list of all available Free-To-Play games also doesn’t have it.

isbragg said:

April 22nd, 3:16 pm

It also appears that it’s the featured Free-To-Play game, yet it’s still not selectable for some reason.

Elvick_ said:

April 22nd, 3:30 pm

I would love these games on PS4, I have almost no room on my PS3 for these now. I managed to play, and love, Tekken Revolution though.

Twiggy_the_ninja said:

April 22nd, 3:38 pm

Sounds like a great deal to me,Thank Namco Bandai!

Guimace said:

April 22nd, 3:40 pm

Loved Tekken Revolution so I’m definitely trying this one out.

Glad to have Sophitia back.

isbragg said:

April 22nd, 4:14 pm

After being able to download it, I now get error 1098 when trying to log in to the servers. I want to play!

Drew_Croft said:

April 22nd, 4:51 pm

Really? I get an error Lost Connection after pressing start…on a single player F2P.

CrimsonDev said:

April 22nd, 4:53 pm

Why…do i need to be online….for a single player game…

mestephen77 said:

April 22nd, 5:01 pm

Just downloaded it, but it seem to be not working right now. I keep getting ‘Cant long into servers, returning to title screen. Error code 1098’ Anyone know what’s going on?

jim488 said:

April 22nd, 5:05 pm

this is ridiculous. it doesn’t even appear on the ps store for me, and it’s after 8 p.m. on the east coast.

Kwys said:

April 22nd, 5:10 pm

I’m having the same problems as everyone else with Error Code 1098.

If you’re having trouble finding the game, try searching for it. That was the only way I could locate it.

Drew_Croft said:

April 22nd, 5:17 pm

Yeah, searching for it or looking in the Free to Play section is your best bet. But it’s not really worth getting mad over if it’s not in your store yet since you can’t even connect to the server..in a single player game.
The store update was terrible today.

LUCIFERSGLEAM said:

April 22nd, 5:27 pm

Ummm, Namco, your game is broken right off the bat. . .

Jacob_Allen_1987 said:

April 22nd, 5:47 pm

does anyone know if this f2p takes tokens like tekken revolution?

raye_gincho said:

April 22nd, 6:24 pm

the reason it’s down at the moment is because there’s maintenance going on.

FIREKNIGHT2029 said:

April 22nd, 6:39 pm

It’s not working NAMCO. So much fail guys, day one and it’s already having issues.

BlaqMagiq24 said:

April 22nd, 7:18 pm

This is coming from a huge fan of Soulcalibur since SCII.

Does this game play like SCV? If so count me out. SCV was a mess of a game. Soulcalibur has become too complex than what it should be. Not to mention the game itself had so many faults I could go down the page with a list. I’d rather go back and SCII HD than that game again.

To be honest I would rather you focus on doing a SCIII HD or SCVI with SCII simplicity.

Nauto said:

April 22nd, 8:43 pm

Same here, I just download it, then I got an Error, it’s never a good idea to launch a game just to find out that’s there was an anomaly, it was the same situation with Skull Girls Encore, where some had to wait until a day or 2 just to get their free voucher. I know it will eventually be fix, but the hype of playing ASAP faded…

alpharougewarx said:

April 22nd, 8:49 pm

i downloaded the game and i cant play it :( cant get in the server at all T_T i can get in the jp verson just fine but not the us verson ayat all. fun game btw :D candlt wait for unbreakable soul :)

BahumatIsBack said:

April 22nd, 9:40 pm

Maybe I just don’t understand what single player game means these days, but why on earth would you make a single player story based fighter that you have to be signed into PSN to play?????? Next thing you know we’ll start seeing online style mmorpg’s that only work offline……

One of these things is not like the other – one of these things just doesn’t belong….

Seriously, am I the only person that sees a problem with this? I’m an old school gamer. I rarely play online. I have no interest in being connected to PSN, Live, or any other service to play a single player game. I would have much rather that you just charged for the game and let people choose whether or not they want to participate in network play

BahumatIsBack said:

April 22nd, 9:44 pm

and yes, I did walk up hill both ways to school in the snow when I was a kid……..

BahumatIsBack said:

April 22nd, 9:47 pm

kids today have lost their way needing to be connected to the internet for every little thing in their life. It’s a bad sign for the future of the human race that everybody needs to be jacked in and logged in every waking minute of the day

Wicked4451 said:

April 22nd, 9:56 pm

i agree its very strange to be online on a single player game, i under stand leaderboards and the whole uploading of the characters but come one check the game for errors before putting it out to play…..still getting code 1098…

Pokes420 said:

April 22nd, 10:31 pm

I’ve seen a lot of replies from Namco re: the micro-transactions. I think what everyone’s getting at is whether or not this is the sort of game where microtransactions can make a notable difference to gameplay mechanics, or if it is cosmetic type stuff only. If the microtransactions affect gameplay you can count me out.

jim488 said:

April 22nd, 11:04 pm

ok… that’s it. i’m done. 2 a.m. and spent the last couple hours finally able to download and install the game only to get the same error code, stating that the game is unable to connect to the server. i’m starting to lose faith in anything playstation-related when it comes to internet connectivity. what happened to the days where we could just play a single player game offline? even if it’s required to be online to “share” our characters… at least let us see what the game is like. this is a joke. i’m deleting it. if the devs are this irresponible, they don’t deserve any money i would have gladly given them in microtransactions for offering a f2p game. just when i thought there might be a reason to wake up my ps3… it’s back to sleep for u, old girl..

Viewtiful_Gene said:

April 22nd, 11:06 pm

“Soulcalibur: Lost Swords”?
More like
“Soulcalibur: Lost Connections”

Brandon17toy said:

April 22nd, 11:25 pm

im getting errors on it can i fix that?

Drew_Croft said:

April 23rd, 3:54 am

Really? You guys still haven’t fixed the Connection Error? Great start.

mariogalaxy1 said:

April 23rd, 5:15 am

This game is still miss up come one now please fix it we can’t play soul cabliar

LUCIFERSGLEAM said:

April 23rd, 6:23 am

J. Kartje why don’t you explain to us why the game is dead on arrival? I know your job is embarrassing right now but at least give us an explanation and ETA on when this game will be fixed.

Lagirius said:

April 23rd, 6:26 am

YES! Finally! Thanks Namco Bandai! <3

I wanna take this chance to ask you guys: PLEASE, release the original .hack games series (that from the PS2) on the PS Store. I need those D:

alpharougewarx said:

April 23rd, 6:49 am

i dont know why people keep saying it is a paywall. its not a paywall unless you keep on losing 24/7 then ypur gonna have to pay for thise weird stamina or fight continues. how do i know this? well i played the jp verson. the time your xp bar is revived via time is pretty quick and should be done via a fight or two. the onlyway i can see it being a paywall is if it has dlc and you have to pay an unecessary amount for armor pices that you can unlock in the game.

PK_Haseo said:

April 23rd, 7:41 am

Piece of $#!+!, they moment the game went into the store was aroud 7:20PM central time an just got to install the same day I got s lost connection to sever or some thing called error 1098? Today this mourning the same $#!+! Are really gonna give us something special once we login for past 4 days cause I can’t see this happing if they can’t this game to work right at launch? This probably never happen to tekken revolution though is pan server it goes down too though their are a few hippcups but they go away quick but this is crazy since they already got it running in Japan without issue.

OCxViRuXz said:

April 23rd, 7:52 am

So Bandai Namco wheres the re-release of Xenosaga or HD version of it? I must play it again.

Drew_Croft said:

April 23rd, 7:54 am

Typical Scamco not giving any feedback or updates.

tre-4_TRILLFIGGA said:

April 23rd, 8:09 am

I just downloaded this game and its saying the network servers are down. How long will this be?

NemonBR said:

April 23rd, 8:49 am

Failed connection with the server error code: 1098 Konami solve this please

siavm said:

April 23rd, 9:04 am

If you guys needed another week you should have just delayed the launch by a week. It would have been better than seeing error 1098.

jlacey92 said:

April 23rd, 1:03 pm

Hey Bandai Namco, Will Gundam Fans will get to play Battle Operation (PS3 & Vita )and Gundam Breaker (PS3 & Vita ) in English ?

Drew_Croft said:

April 23rd, 1:27 pm

Okay, I’ve tried to tweet them about it multiple times but they reply to everything that isn’t about Lost Swords.
They shouldn’t have pooped this game out so fast just to release it because of the terrible load times and not working 90% of the time.
Great work Scamco! Hopefully no one will be dumb enough to actually buy micros in this.

LUCIFERSGLEAM said:

April 23rd, 1:38 pm

Disgraceful Namco, very disgraceful.

darknesservant said:

April 23rd, 1:57 pm

stupid error code still but i agree wtih lagirlus please re-release the .hack series i love thoses games i had them stolen and i would love to relive some of thoses moments and where xenosaga part 3 or even a HD version

Rluis1 said:

April 23rd, 2:04 pm

Thanks Bandai Namco Love Soul Calibur!
Those Swords!

andrewgoins1994 said:

April 23rd, 2:04 pm

i only got to play soulcalibur 2 on gamecube, but i trust this enough to know it’s going to be a good game even if it is a FTP

Zonnex said:

April 23rd, 2:10 pm

Might as well wait longer due to the Error message.