PS4-Watch_Dogs

Sportsfriends Coming to PS3 and PS4 on May 6th

Doug Wilson's Avatar + Posted by Doug Wilson on Apr 25, 2014 // Producer, Sportsfriends

Hi everyone! We’re extremely pleased to announce that, after many months of hard work and playtesting, we’re finally done with Sportsfriends, our compendium of local multiplayer games!

We’re releasing Sportsfriends on PS3 and PS4 on May 6th for $14.99. That’s in less than two weeks!

We even made a new trailer:

Here’s a breakdown of features by platform:

Both PS3 and PS4 versions feature:

• Four award-winning multiplayer games
  • No-bulls**t — local multiplayer in its purest form
  • Rich variety of modes and gameplay settings
  • Build and save your own Hokra arenas
  • Optional: PlayStation Move motion controller support for Johann Sebastian Joust
  • Some of the weirdest Trophies on PSN
  • Tons of secrets we can’t talk about

PS4 version features:

• DualShock 4 wireless controller support for all the games
  • Play JS Joust with up to four players
  • Play JS Joust with DualShock 4, making special use of its speaker and LED

PS3 version features:

• DualShock 3 support for all the games
  • Play JS Joust with up to seven players
  • Play JS Joust with DualShock 3
  • Load your own music files into JS Joust!

As a special treat, if you purchase Sportsfriends on PS3 you will also be entitled to download the PS4 version for free.

We literally couldn’t have made Sportsfriends without all our enthusiastic Kickstarter backers and fans. We’re super proud of what we’ve made, and we don’t think it’ll disappoint. We hope you check it out. If you like local multiplayer, this it the game (or rather, games) for you!

+ KazeEternal on April 25th, 2014 at 11:08 am said:

How many players supported for JS Joust? PS4 supposedly has a 4 player cap.

+ aro52 on April 25th, 2014 at 11:10 am said:

@KazeEternal
It’s right there in the article…

Very interesting the differences between the 2 versions of JS Joust.

+ johnnyp70 on April 25th, 2014 at 11:10 am said:

#1-Did you read the blog post at all?

+ tusunami on April 25th, 2014 at 11:32 am said:

This might be something that I might want to checkout possibly.

+ veryhoudini11 on April 25th, 2014 at 11:33 am said:

@1 if you read the blog it tell you…. ps4 is 4 players, ps3 is 7 players.

+ veryhoudini11 on April 25th, 2014 at 11:35 am said:

this game looks really cool, def not what i was expecting by the title.

+ cthedogg on April 25th, 2014 at 11:47 am said:

I will definitely get it for the JS Joust.

Also when it says entitled to get the PS4 version, is that a guarantee?
And if we have 4 move controllers, can we also use 3 DS3 to make it 7 players?

Doug Wilson's Avatar

+ Doug Wilson on April 25th, 2014 at 12:33 pm said:

If you buy on PS3, code also works on PS4 (doesn’t work other way, though)

Can use any combination of DualShocks and Moves!

However, PS4 only supports four controllers max (hardware limitation).

+ Thwip on April 25th, 2014 at 11:53 am said:

Do I have to be a teen, in school, or drunk to play? Looks like fun, I’ll give it a shot.

Doug Wilson's Avatar

+ Doug Wilson on April 25th, 2014 at 12:34 pm said:

You do *not* “need” to be any of those ;-)

We honestly believe the games are widely accessible to all sorts of people! That was the design goal.

- Doug -

+ Doctor_Hank_Pym on April 25th, 2014 at 11:54 am said:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FINALLY!!! =) And thanks so much for the cross-buy support!

(If they ever add DLNA support to the PS4, I hope you’ll be able to patch in the feature of using your own music to that version as well!)

Doug Wilson's Avatar

+ Doug Wilson on April 25th, 2014 at 12:32 pm said:

@Doctor_Hank_Pym
    Yup, we’d like to (and intend to) patch the PS4 version to add choose-your-own-music, when the PS4 finally supports that…

+ VincentVendetta on April 25th, 2014 at 12:05 pm said:

YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!

+ dougsvest on April 25th, 2014 at 12:09 pm said:

WutWUUUUUUT!!!!! Super Pole Riders looks hilarious. Can’t wait.

+ anotherdae on April 25th, 2014 at 12:44 pm said:

Looks like Pong

+ alehb on April 25th, 2014 at 1:03 pm said:

Nice. I guess I’ll give it a try.

+ zekececil14 on April 25th, 2014 at 1:06 pm said:

Looks really fun. But is there online Multiplayer? My best friends live in Michigan and Illinois while I’m in Ohio. :(

+ Mobius2525 on April 25th, 2014 at 1:12 pm said:

…….. looks interested.

+ snakeeyes211 on April 25th, 2014 at 1:19 pm said:

ZzzzZ

+ Crunchewy on April 25th, 2014 at 1:28 pm said:

Maybe this is a dumb question, but does JS Joust use the Move camera and if not, is it possible to have just Move Wands and not the camera? I don’t have Move. Looking for ways to save some funds. :) Oh, and can you use 7 wands, or is it a maximum of 4 wands (so 3 have to be controllers)?

Doug Wilson's Avatar

+ Doug Wilson on April 25th, 2014 at 9:22 pm said:

No camera! Games does NOT require or use the camera in any way. You can use the Move *without* the camera.

But remember, you can also play JS Joust with the DualShock.

Meanwhile, PS3 allows up to seven controllers, whereas PS4 allows up to four controllers (that’s a hardware constraint).

+ TwinDad on April 25th, 2014 at 1:29 pm said:

It’s great to see a competitive game that is fun and isn’t full of guns.

Good thing move support is optional.

+ ctorretta on April 25th, 2014 at 1:47 pm said:

First game I ever kickstarted! Can’t wait. :)

+ MakoSoul on April 25th, 2014 at 3:18 pm said:

Any ladies want to come over and play some Super Pole Riders?

+ Vocor_Kane on April 25th, 2014 at 3:19 pm said:

No online multiplayer = No buy. Sure, local co-op is great, but not all of us have the luxury of nearby friends.

I hope you will consider patching online multiplayer later.

+ MrBeens on April 25th, 2014 at 3:30 pm said:

So if the Atari 2600 had motion controls, then this is what we would have got?

+ hahpurr on April 25th, 2014 at 5:03 pm said:

I can’t stand sports games, but seeing the differences between the PS4 and the PS3 versions really upsets me. This generation system should be better the last in every aspect. Last gen has a 7 player possibility, this gen should not have went down in capability, it should go up. And where the hell is the capability to upload our own music! The lack of features on the PS4 is a disappointment. And PlayStations excuse is “Hey. Its better than the other systems.” They are right it is better, but it still sucks, because I know that they could do more…… Greatness awaits…. Well, we are waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting.

+ frylock98 on April 25th, 2014 at 5:30 pm said:

Games look like a lot of fun, too bad the ad for it was horrible.

+ canedaddy on April 25th, 2014 at 5:41 pm said:

Looks awesome, and very nice price! Can’t wait to play this with my family.

+ hahpurr on April 25th, 2014 at 9:34 pm said:

I made my previous comment before watching the video ,otherwise I would have added… What is the deal with all these games coming out that look like they belong on the original nintendo. The game play on this one takes it a step farther, because it looks like a game for the original atari….Pathetic

+ MUSIC-HEAD on April 25th, 2014 at 10:50 pm said:

I am really happy all you guys. Sportsfriends is the real deal. I feel like it will be one of those ageless games.

Doug Wilson's Avatar

+ Doug Wilson on April 26th, 2014 at 5:26 pm said:

Thanks! Yeah we’re really proud of the games, and we’re confident they’re super fun. We’ve been touring them pretty widely at events like PAX and MAGFest.

+ iREVOLTER on April 26th, 2014 at 12:40 am said:

Amazing! Finally it gets a release date, and thx for PS4 version in addition to my PS3 edition ;). Gonna have fun!

+ aremyballspic on April 26th, 2014 at 1:07 am said:

Is it neccessary to play with with 4 Players on PS4. OR can i also play alone or 2 players.?
Please Reply.

Doug Wilson's Avatar

+ Doug Wilson on April 26th, 2014 at 5:23 pm said:

You only need 2 players!

+ Major_Hoare on April 26th, 2014 at 6:10 am said:

This looks like it will replace E.T. Atari as the worst game ever made.

+ VHawj on April 26th, 2014 at 11:21 am said:

Finally, a release date!!!

+ VHawj on April 26th, 2014 at 11:31 am said:

One more thing, I thought the PS4 supported the Move controller? If so will it be patched in later?

Doug Wilson's Avatar

+ Doug Wilson on April 26th, 2014 at 5:24 pm said:

It does, and you can indeed play JS Joust w/ the Move on PS4, if you want. But you can *also* play with the DualShock 4 (or mix and match)

+ Sinistar83 on April 26th, 2014 at 12:35 pm said:

Any discount for PS Plus subscribers? :)

+ Skeetlejuice on April 26th, 2014 at 2:35 pm said:

•No-bulls**t — local multiplayer in its purest form

what does that even mean?

Is there a DEMO? based on the looks of people dressing with sports gear that have no relation to the simplistic graphics (even by Nintendo’s standards they are bare bones) How are people that didn’t kick start this to care.

14.99 for local versus multiplayer only, with no Demo I assume or that would have been talked up.

I am skeptical but even with horrible graphics it could be a fun game to play with friends, it would be nice to actually see what the gameplay is like. When it’s edited like that I fear that it is intentionaly trying to pass something off as fun, especially with the “No-bull**t– local multiplayer in its purest form” blurb.

+ Skeetlejuice on April 26th, 2014 at 2:39 pm said:

why not allow people to just cross buy, instead of this bs upgrade option but for others we have to be careful to buy the ps3 version and hope we will get the advertised entitlement.

Most PS4 owners kept their PS3, why make us jump through hoops. I will say it’s better than not offering cross buy, but at a premium Digital game price for low end graphics how do you expect us to think anything less than cross buy should be standard?

Does the PS3 version support move for anything other than joust? it seems implied by the statement above.

I regret buying towerfall for 11.99 (plus discount) my friend’s son liked it, but i have no one to play with, and the singleplayer of that game is not good. I have moved onto trials fusion. I am guessing this set is a one trick pony. no bulls**t.

good luck though

+ ManjoumeThunder on April 26th, 2014 at 6:05 pm said:

This looks a great deal more interesting than I’d thought when looking at the thumbnail. Not sure if I’ll buy it…but since it’s cross buy I’m a great deal more inclined.

+ MUSIC-HEAD on April 27th, 2014 at 8:10 am said:

From my experience every single person who has played any of these four games has had fun almost right away. I see some people here complaint about simplistic graphics and the price and i feel like they are standing over on the other side of a lake. 15 dollars for four games that the designers have spent years refining and play testing is an absolute steal. And much the same way that you don’t need complicated “graphics’ for Chess or basketball these games are perfectly what they need to be. Talking with the developers at events and playing the games it is obvious how much hard work and love they put into not only these games but the whole package overall. I have seen glimpses of some of the secrets and surprises in the game and I can’t wait to discover more. So to the people on the other side of the river complaining about price or simplistic graphics, jump in try the game, have fun!, and swim over here and play with the rest of us :)

+ icorwo on April 27th, 2014 at 1:31 pm said:

Jousting? Win! I might buy this. Not sure yet.

+ PS_man1984 on April 27th, 2014 at 10:44 pm said:

A sports game with optional motion controls? Why? Nintendo didn’t shy away from motion controls when making Wii Sports, Sony utilized motion controls when making Sports Champions. Developers need to be more experimental. I’m tired of using a normal controller to play games that would benefit from motion controls (FPS games).

+ Welmosca on April 28th, 2014 at 6:13 am said:

Oh now I remember this game…looks really fun,local MP…now thats what I’m talking about…fantastic,I gonna be grabbing this ASAP.

PS3 features:

– Play JS Joust with up to 7 players

PS4 features:

– Play JS Joust with up to 4 players

WTF?….lol LMAO….and people get mad at me when I say PS4 is a PS3.5….what a f***in joke.

+ Welmosca on April 28th, 2014 at 6:32 am said:

Graphics whor*s infesting the Blog….this is so sad,narrow-minded people….such a pity.

+ FreeQuebec86 on May 4th, 2014 at 1:43 am said:

( sorry for my bad english in advance :P )

I’m participating to a “Humor/music” festival next week. MAYYYYYYYBE i will bring my ps3 and controller to play this.

I know “artist people” will dig HARD this game xD, for the minimalist graphic and the innovation. And the game seem very social and pick-up-and-play.

And maybe some hipster will dig this game too haha !

If you give me one copy, i will do video/photo of people playing this game and post it on Youtube! Marketinggggg ( lol a guy try ! :P )

At least i hope for a PSN + deals :(… xD ( im broke… artist live! )

+ mclaren777 on May 4th, 2014 at 2:03 pm said:

Super Pole Riders is my most-anticipated PS4 game of 2014. Can’t wait!