PS4 - Destiny

Child of Light Out Today on PS4, PS3

Ryan Clements's Avatar + Posted by Ryan Clements on Apr 29, 2014 // Social Media Specialist

Child of Light

Click here to see the full gallery

Whisked away to a mystical realm and faced with menacing creatures, the small-framed Aurora is tasked with a great quest: to reclaim the Sun, Moon, and Stars from the Black Queen. In Ubisoft Montreal’s love letter to JRPGs, Child of Light invites players to adventure through enchanting vistas and forge alliances with eccentric heroes.

Child of Light launches today on PS3 and PS4. To celebrate the occasion, Child of Light’s Writer Jeffrey Yohalem offers his thoughts as Aurora takes her first steps into a surreal world.

Child of Light is a game designed to be deep enough to appeal to fans of classic JRPGs, like Final Fantasy VI — the hard mode is especially challenging — but if played on normal it is accessible enough to appeal to newcomers. We wanted to share our love of JRPGs with a whole new audience while staying true to the roots of the genre.

The combat is deep, strategic, and involving. At the same time, we wanted to use these JRPG mechanics to tell a deep, moving story. Every mechanic and action in the game has a meaning, and comes together to tell Aurora’s journey from child to adult.

This is a handmade game, born from the hearts of our entire 35-person team. Every word, bend in the levels, animation, line of music, line of code. The world of Child of Light comes from a place of joy and love. Our team and Ubisoft are very excited to share it with the real world. We hope it brings a piece of Lemuria into the hustle and bustle of the everyday, a hint of magic from a place long since lost.

Thank you for playing!

–Jeffrey Yohalem

PAGE 1 2

+ NX_Nytrux on April 29th, 2014 at 10:31 am said:

Finally!!!

Ryan Clements's Avatar

+ Ryan Clements on April 29th, 2014 at 11:13 am said:

I know!

+ Teh_AKOD on April 29th, 2014 at 10:31 am said:

I’ve been waiting for this game for a while. Picking it up for PS3 this week.

Ryan Clements's Avatar

+ Ryan Clements on April 29th, 2014 at 11:14 am said:

Hope you enjoy it.

+ Jasinion on April 29th, 2014 at 10:34 am said:

Is there any info on whether or not the soundtrack will be made available for purchase? Loving it.

Ryan Clements's Avatar

+ Ryan Clements on April 29th, 2014 at 11:14 am said:

Great question! I’m not sure, you might want to check with the publisher, Ubisoft!

+ Tidusfanboy on April 29th, 2014 at 10:34 am said:

How much does it cost? Will pick it up either way.

Ryan Clements's Avatar

+ Ryan Clements on April 29th, 2014 at 11:15 am said:

$14.99! ^_^

+ CrusaderForever on April 29th, 2014 at 10:34 am said:

Played the PS4 demo and it’s as good as you would think it is! It’s beautiful #1 but the turn based combat with interrupts is really fun and challenging. Just starting to get the hang of it after about 20 minutes. Also, the game has depth with a sizable skill tree for Aurora and so far the Wizard. This is a must buy!

Ryan Clements's Avatar

+ Ryan Clements on April 29th, 2014 at 11:15 am said:

Nice! Glad you enjoy it.

+ komentra on April 29th, 2014 at 10:35 am said:

Consider it bought.

Oh yeah and…… BEYOND!

Ryan Clements's Avatar

+ Ryan Clements on April 29th, 2014 at 11:14 am said:

Beyond! :-D

+ stlthriot on April 29th, 2014 at 10:36 am said:

Absolutely ecstatic about this game!! :D
Purchased this morning!

Ryan Clements's Avatar

+ Ryan Clements on April 29th, 2014 at 11:14 am said:

Sweet! Please enjoy!

+ saab01 on April 29th, 2014 at 10:39 am said:

This game looks cool but I’m not a fan of the whole turn by turn fighting system. It kinda turned me off at that point.

+ FifthDream on April 29th, 2014 at 10:40 am said:

Looking forward to playing this today. I can’t wait.

+ juliocsc_BR on April 29th, 2014 at 10:42 am said:

My pre order (PS3) unlocked only the DLC.

+ singhb13 on April 29th, 2014 at 10:47 am said:

Love the game thank you so much for the great game and wanted to know when I preordered the game something else was downloading too. What was that?

+ BlueRobotX on April 29th, 2014 at 10:48 am said:

It would be nice if I could actually download the game. I preordered the game and all I can download is the DLC I can’t even download the demo anymore now I’m really mad, please tell me they’re working on fixing this or else I just spent $14.99 on a $2.99 DLC pack and never got the game.

+ Jasinion on April 29th, 2014 at 10:53 am said:

@juliosc_br if you download the demo, and click the main menu option full game unlock, it’ll take you to a screen that has the full game unlock download as well as the dlc. Hate that I had to find a round-about way of doing this though.

+ FifthDream on April 29th, 2014 at 10:53 am said:

Hmm, it’s downloading for me right now on PS4. I went into the store, clicked download, the DLC downloaded, and now the game is.

+ BlueRobotX on April 29th, 2014 at 10:55 am said:

@ Jasinion Where did you find the demo, I can’t find the demo anywhere on the store?

+ juliocsc_BR on April 29th, 2014 at 10:56 am said:

@Janisinion i´ll try. Thanks!

+ Jasinion on April 29th, 2014 at 10:56 am said:

@bluerobotx go to games->out this month and it should be there

+ BlueRobotX on April 29th, 2014 at 10:57 am said:

@ FifthDream The problem only seems to be with the PS3 version fot some reason.

+ pablofsi08 on April 29th, 2014 at 10:59 am said:

Beautiful, I bought this game day 1 when it was on pre-purchase. Long live to games designed with good judgment, intelligence and humanity in mind!

Down with FPS games.

+ sirqweirDY on April 29th, 2014 at 10:59 am said:

Just tried the demo and was thoroughly impressed.
The ability to time attacks to interrupt enemies presents an additional layer of involvement during battles. Enjoyed the demo. Got the full game.
Kudos!

+ JonJonXD on April 29th, 2014 at 11:00 am said:

I can’t wait!

+ CaruthK on April 29th, 2014 at 11:01 am said:

Can’t wait to play this.

+ antibolo on April 29th, 2014 at 11:03 am said:

Is there a Vita port in the works?

+ applekwisp on April 29th, 2014 at 11:05 am said:

I would love to play this on the Vita. It’s style really lends itself to a handheld platform.

+ BlueRobotX on April 29th, 2014 at 11:09 am said:

@Jasinion Thanks that worked, now I’ll just have to see if I can unlock the full game through the demo.

+ Jasinion on April 29th, 2014 at 11:12 am said:

@bluerobotx it should work, other people said it did on gamefaqs, gl

+ Husteen on April 29th, 2014 at 11:14 am said:

cannot wait for the demo! hurry up, ps store! after seeing south park gameplay, i was itching to play a turn-based game.

i’m a tad disappointed that north america got the short end of the stick with not having a physical disk or pre-order bonuses, though. will the DLC packs be released here? i could definitely go for aurora’s dlc skin.

thank you for releasing a demo, and thank you for releasing the game on my birthday =]

+ Husteen on April 29th, 2014 at 11:19 am said:

the ps3 demo is on the store!

i went to the S.E.N. store on my computer, clicked “Games” at the top, hovered over PS3 at the top, clicked “New PS3 Demos,” and child of light is the first one!

+ SureBigBuster on April 29th, 2014 at 11:21 am said:

Can’t wait to get my hands on this beauty. Still mad that there’s no platinum though -__-

+ markshneider on April 29th, 2014 at 11:22 am said:

This looks gorgeous!
But you have to admit that it would really shine on the Vita´s also gorgeous screen.
Add to that being able to play this beauty anywhere and we have a perfect match for a lengthy game!
Please, bring it to Vita and I´m sure many like me would get it day 1.

Congrats on the great job on this game!

+ PanTheMan16 on April 29th, 2014 at 11:29 am said:

This appeared in the store super early. I started downloading at 7:20am :D

+ Charly_Corr on April 29th, 2014 at 11:30 am said:

Beautiful game! I purchase the PS4 version with bonus preorder DLC (just 1 hour before the release ^-^)

PS3 and PS4 versions are the same but in PS4 you can use the Touch Pad to control the firefly:p

+ caio_loco on April 29th, 2014 at 11:34 am said:

Insta-buy for me. I loved yhe battle system and the art.

Congrats to the studio and everybody involved. Huge success.

+ Charly_Corr on April 29th, 2014 at 11:37 am said:

@PanTheMan16 I started the download at 00:26 hrs (GMT-6) ;)

+ PATRIOT_VIRUS on April 29th, 2014 at 11:39 am said:

I’m actually really interested in this game. So I may pick this up.

+ tylerh1701 on April 29th, 2014 at 11:40 am said:

PS3/PS4 cross-buy like it is in EU?

+ ElektroDragon on April 29th, 2014 at 11:46 am said:

The problem I have with this, Sony, is that the game has all bronze trophies, one silver, no Platinum, but on Xbox One it has a full 1000 gameerscore. Now I totally understand not wanting to cheapen the Trophy system, but because of this discrepancy I will be buying the game on my Xbox One instead of my PS4 just like I did with Trials. The good news for you is that PS4 remains my lead platform for all AAA retail games for multiple reasons.

+ Rezolution77 on April 29th, 2014 at 11:48 am said:

Really like Ubisoft games, but will probably wait for reviews and digital sale.

+ PainOfSarrow on April 29th, 2014 at 11:56 am said:

got great reviews and from what i read the game is 12 Hours. pretty good for a Downloadable game. will try if a demo is available.

+ Roeyon on April 29th, 2014 at 12:17 pm said:

I Can not wait to get my hands on this! The Demo at PAX East was so delicious!

+ boxmyth on April 29th, 2014 at 12:34 pm said:

Sold.
Kudos to Ubisoft for backing something so artistic and JRPG-y.

+ Ryumoau on April 29th, 2014 at 12:42 pm said:

i decided to go ahead and get the ps4 version because of all the positive buzz. But i still think its really crappy that Ubisoft decided to give EU gamers crossbuy while making us double dip if we want both the ps4 and ps3 versions. :/

+ Mr_Mackwo on April 29th, 2014 at 12:49 pm said:

Instabuy for me! Can’t wait to play this tonight!

+ Lefoul-123 on April 29th, 2014 at 12:59 pm said:

Why do they treat better europeans, cuz they speak with their wallts, the typical american buy evErything, even if its crap. There are even stupids who want to buy the games they get for free on plus, so dont cry.

+ Lefoul-123 on April 29th, 2014 at 1:01 pm said:

This game is awesome tho,

+ Ryumoau on April 29th, 2014 at 1:05 pm said:

@44
Please use proper grammar. It will make your stupid comment alittle more bearable.

+ Lefoul-123 on April 29th, 2014 at 1:11 pm said:

Shut up.

+ KUDOUTAIKI on April 29th, 2014 at 1:12 pm said:

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!! i would love to see this MASTERPIECE in my PSVITA someday :3

+ PrimeroIncognito on April 29th, 2014 at 1:15 pm said:

@ Ryumoaner

You’re in that mood again, huh?

(P.S. – “alittle” isn’t a word. Next time use proper grammar so that your worthless comments don’t contradict themselves.)

+ Lefoul-123 on April 29th, 2014 at 1:17 pm said:

Primeroincognito shuting up ryumoaner mouth again.

PAGE 1 2