No Man's Sky

Chariot Coming to PS4

Martin Brouard's Avatar + Posted by Martin Brouard on Apr 30, 2014 // Executive Producer, Frima Studio

Chariot on PS4

I’m thrilled to have this opportunity to finally share some info about our new PS4 game with the PlayStation community. Our small team has been working on Chariot for a while now, and I can’t wait to see what you guys think of it.

Chariot is a 2D, couch co-op adventure platformer in which two players must work together to guide a chariot through underground levels using physics-based mechanics such as pushing, pulling, riding, reeling, and so on. But don’t worry; even though the game is designed for multiplayer shenanigans, it’s also super fun to play solo.

Philippe Dion, Chariot’s creative lead, came to me a while back with this very original idea for a physics-based couch-co-op platformer designed around exploring caves with a vehicle. Everyone here was instantly charmed by the initial prototype. Even though it was entirely done with stick figures, we knew we were on to something when we watched people playing together, arguing and teasing each other, and really having a great time goofing around.

Getting from that stickman prototype to the next-gen platformer that is now Chariot was quite a ride. Ride, get it?

Once we had nailed the core mechanics of the game, we had to wrap them in a fun context. Chariot is the story of a princess whose task is to lay her father’s remains in his final resting place. With the help of her fiancĂ©, she has to take this heavy chariot holding the king’s remains through underground mazes in order to reach a sepulcher fit for His Majesty.

Chariot on PS4Chariot on PS4

However, the king’s ghost, bound to the chariot, has quite a temper and insists that he be buried with vast amounts of riches. Exploring and collecting loot in the caves therefore becomes an essential part of the game. As players progress, tunneling deeper and deeper underground, they’ll often stray off the main path and need to come up with inventive ways to get their hands on hard-to-reach loot and collectibles.

That’s where the couch-coop gameplay really shines. We want players strategizing, interacting, and debating live — not over the internet.

That’s all I can reveal in this entry. We hope you guys are as excited as we are about Chariot. The release date isn’t set in stone, but you can expect Chariot to hit PS4 this Fall. Let us know what you think in the comments section, and I’ll be happy to answer as best I can.

Have a great day.

+ God-Of-Lyf on April 30th, 2014 at 7:16 am said:

Seems like every development team working on the PS4 is a (small team). Just Saying…!

+ agc8602 on April 30th, 2014 at 7:18 am said:

Disappointed about no online. I’ve moved away from a lot of my gaming friends and can’t do couch co-op anymore :(

+ anti-altair16 on April 30th, 2014 at 7:20 am said:

@1 Well all indie developers are small teams.

I’m loving all the local co-op games on PS4. Hopefully you can let your partner fall down a pit with the chariot. That would be to funny. *laughs maniacally*

+ TheWarOrphan on April 30th, 2014 at 7:22 am said:

I’m excited about more couch co-op games. Raw old school gaming is best.

+ barker09 on April 30th, 2014 at 7:23 am said:

Wowww. PS4 is really bringing back local multiplayer! Love the art in this game.

+ Amnalehu on April 30th, 2014 at 7:34 am said:

It’s really great to see game devs coming back to local multi player. This game looks fun and charming and I can’t wait to play it from the sofa with family and friends. Congrats!

+ yowzagabowza on April 30th, 2014 at 7:38 am said:

You should include stick figure mode.

+ wilfareus on April 30th, 2014 at 7:45 am said:

man. this game seems perfect for the Vita. hope it comes to the handheld via cross-buy or discount

+ CrusaderForever on April 30th, 2014 at 7:45 am said:

It’s like Sony met someone from the future that told them Indie Studios is where it’s at for the PS4 generation! I am loving all these Indie games. Indie Studios make games that compliment the AAA Studios that are already making games for the PS4. They don’t hinder the AAA Studios in any way. For some reason the haters don’t understand this. PS4/Vita/PS3/Sony = MASSIVE OPTIONS! This game looks great and couch coop is a lot of fun for my son and I! I can’t wait to learn more. My son is becoming quit the gamer so this is a massive win for he and I!

+ Wozman23 on April 30th, 2014 at 8:22 am said:

Looks interesting. Love the art direction.

+ MrBeens on April 30th, 2014 at 8:42 am said:

That princess looks awfully happy for having her father just died.

Martin Brouard's Avatar

+ Laurent Mercure on April 30th, 2014 at 11:56 am said:

Wait until you meet the king… he’s got quite a character.

+ TrueLordX on April 30th, 2014 at 9:35 am said:

Game looks great, would love to play this on vita… Would even consider it for my ps3 but I’m expecting more from our next gen console. I get that Sony is the hero of the indie gamer but this isn’t what I expect to see on the ps4, yet every other day this is the only kind of stuff being released. I understand the launch was a bit dry and a bunch of great triple a titles are on the way but you need to chill out with the shovel ware.

+ Hogwild333 on April 30th, 2014 at 9:38 am said:

Do you anticipate the difficulty level and ESRB rating will be conducive to playing with a ten year old? The game sounds really interesting and I’m anxious to learn more about it.

Martin Brouard's Avatar

+ Laurent Mercure on April 30th, 2014 at 12:03 pm said:

We really want players to be able to play Chariot with their kids so we’ll have an ESRB rating in line with that. As for the difficulty, we’re working on a fine balance between what’s enjoyable for the average gamer and what’s accessible for children.

+ MakoSoul on April 30th, 2014 at 10:56 am said:

Ooo, this looks like a great game to play with my wife. The only thing I am concerned about is that all the environments are going to be underground. Seems like an unnecessary factor that will potentially limit both the environmental and gameplay variety. I mean, I get that it seems to be part of the story, but I don;t see any reason why you couldn’t include a portion where the have to go above ground for some reason.

Martin Brouard's Avatar

+ Laurent Mercure on April 30th, 2014 at 11:59 am said:

Don’t worry. Even though most of the game is spent underground, our artists have developed various rich environments. It won’t feel like spending hours in a dark cave.

+ Brooklyn008 on April 30th, 2014 at 11:06 am said:

Nice. This looks really interesting!! Couch COOP is ALWAYS welcome in my house with my kids! Bring it on!!!

+ Trendy_Kid on April 30th, 2014 at 11:16 am said:

Bring on the co-op! I’m way more into couch multiplayer, than online.

Martin Brouard's Avatar

+ Tom Happ on April 30th, 2014 at 3:05 pm said:

Looks beautiful.

+ ILL_MITCH on April 30th, 2014 at 3:23 pm said:

No online means I pass. Best of luck to you!

+ aqeeliz on May 1st, 2014 at 11:14 pm said:

The game looks nice, and really appreciate the couch co-op. Going to keep an eye on this one.

+ Elvick_ on May 4th, 2014 at 1:55 am said: