PS4 - The Last of Us Remastered

DRIVECLUB Update from Evolution Studios

Paul Rustchynsky's Avatar + Posted by Paul Rustchynsky on Apr 30, 2014 // Game Director, #DRIVECLUB

Driveclub on PS4

Hi everyone. Following Shuhei’s message yesterday, I’m here give to you an update on DRIVECLUB direct from Evolution Studios.

I’m proud to be leading the extremely talented and hard-working development team here at Evolution. As gamers first and foremost, we are determined to deliver the game we promised to the quality we know you expect.

We appreciate all of your support — it’s motivating and humbling for us to have such a vocal and supportive community. Your messages drive us to do everything we can to live up to our original ambition of making DRIVECLUB the game that invigorates the racing genre again.

Your great support deserves us to be open with you. I know we have been quiet for a while since we made the decision to delay the game, so I wanted to take this opportunity to let you know exactly why the team felt that DRIVECLUB needed more development. We wanted to make sure we got one important feature right.

The dynamic menu is key to how much fun you’re going to get out of the game because it is the glue that connects you to everyone else in the DRIVECLUB community. Whenever you fire up the game; between every race you play, and when you log in to DRIVECLUB on your phone or tablet, the dynamic menu has to be slick to ensure your experience is seamlessly connected. Essentially it’s where you discover what to play, and who to play with.

Driveclub on PS4Driveclub on PS4

It’s also absolutely vital to our ambition of growing a vibrant network of millions of connected clubs, who all share the excitement of driving amazing cars together. Whether they play just to have fun, or to complete every challenge and beat their rivals in every race, it’s this connected community who will keep the game fresh and enjoyable well after launch, so it makes sense for the connectivity to be perfect.

No racing title has ever combined the development of a socially charged, multi-platform dynamic menu with all the other connected online elements that DRIVECLUB delivers. We know that what we are creating here is hugely ambitious and we’re proud of the fact that we’re getting close now because we’re a relatively small studio. The progress we’re making is great, so I’m looking forward to showing you more as development continues and prove that all the hard work has been worth it.

While that work goes on, the rest of the team here is relentless when it comes to exploiting the power and confidence of PS4, so we’re also raising the bar even higher across other aspects of the game including:

• Visuals — We’re constantly improving how stunning the game looks as we continue to optimize visuals and find new ways of pushing PS4. You can see for yourself how it looks right now in the latest video we shared yesterday because all the footage was captured on PS4 from the game. It’ll look even better in October.
  • Audio — It’s absolutely state of the art. We’re continuing to refine the authentic sounds that we have for each and every car in the game, and we’re going to put together videos that focus on this.
  • Driving — It already feels great to play and we’re continuing to add further layers to the physics to make it both more accessible for everybody and more sophisticated for experienced racers.
  • Clubs — We’re making it easier for you to keep up to speed with what’s going on in your club as part of the rework on the dynamic menus. We’ve also tweaked clubs to support up to 6 players instead of 12 (because the game is more fun with tightly-knit clubs and it paves the way for awesome 6-on-6 club races).
  • Tour — The difficulty curve for the campaign mode is becoming even smoother as we continue to optimize the vehicle handling and also refine the game’s AI for non-player racers.
  • Cars & Tracks — More time means more staggeringly detailed cars and exciting tracks, too. If you haven’t already, check out the Ferrari in the video released yesterday. There are loads more exciting cars for us to reveal in the coming months.

I’d also like to confirm that the PS Plus Edition of the game will be available on the same day as the full release. Offering a selection of cars and tracks from the complete version, we think it’s the perfect way for those new to the genre to get an idea of what the full DRIVECLUB experience is all about. Look out for more details on the PS Plus Edition very soon.

Thanks again to everybody for your continued support; it really is a huge source of inspiration for the team. We appreciate that there’s a lot of anticipation and excitement for everything that DRIVECLUB promises to be, so we hope that you understand why we won’t compromise on quality to rush it to you.

Driveclub on PS4

It’s been a long and hard Winter, but it’s great that we can finally start sharing updates with you again about all of the cool things that DRIVECLUB does. We don’t anticipate another quiet period for a while so you can expect to see plenty more from us in the coming weeks leading up to E3 2014!

More soon,
The DRIVECLUB Team

77 Comments   1 Reply

PAGE 1 2

+ doglesby14 on April 30th, 2014 at 8:12 am said:

Congrats, Guys! It’s looking fantastic! This will definitely be one of the killer games PS4 will offer. Also, if I may ask about the PS Plus Edition, is it still going to be available when the game launches since it was unable to be the first PS+ game at launch? Also, is the PS+ Edition less or more, compared to the normal version?

Any response is appreciated. Keep it up, guys! This will be my first game with Evolution. :)

Paul Rustchynsky's Avatar

+ Justin Massongill on April 30th, 2014 at 10:04 am said:

Hey there, we just added a bit to the post confirming that yes, the PS Plus Edition of Driveclub will be available on the same day as the full release. :)

+ JMBlakk on April 30th, 2014 at 8:14 am said:

I would like to say I am not a big racing sim fan but I will give it a try when it come on ps+. Glad you guys are taking your time the dynamic menu seems interesting.

+ Pabloo1010 on April 30th, 2014 at 8:15 am said:

We all want to know. 1080p/60fps :p ? Must buy regardless

+ TLOUJOEL on April 30th, 2014 at 8:16 am said:

So is the FPS targeting 30 or 60?

+ rufusmarch23 on April 30th, 2014 at 8:16 am said:

It looks great can’t wait to play it. it also would nice if it had split screen like motorstorm

+ LuiSpartanMIMIMI on April 30th, 2014 at 8:18 am said:

I really hope Evolution supports the game well after launch. I loved MotorStorm Apocalypse, but the multiplayer is broken since looooooooooong time ago. I tried contact with Evolution twitter(even Yoshida himself!) about the problems and nothing has done. Its disappointing you don’t hear the community.

Hope Driveclub won’t have these problems.

+ italodancemp3 on April 30th, 2014 at 8:19 am said:

Hey Paul I just wanna know any PS Vita’s version of this game is coming out or not? Soon or late!

+ James_Page on April 30th, 2014 at 8:22 am said:

Will our wheels for the PS3 (Logitech G27, Thrustmaster T500RS and the like) be compatible with this game? I’d like to know for sure before I purchase the game.

Thank you.

+ PiotrRasputinBR on April 30th, 2014 at 8:23 am said:

Release it when it’s done. I’ve had my share of half baked racing games… Looking great, just hope the controls are more towards simulation than arcade…

+ mauaus on April 30th, 2014 at 8:24 am said:

Looking good, one of my most anticipated games this year!

+ Goldanas on April 30th, 2014 at 8:27 am said:

I love a good car game and am looking forward to this one guys. Loved Motorstorm Pacific Rift.

I hope that in addition to all these fancy fast cars that there are also some exciting “alternative” cars that, like the elite Ferraris, are also not available for most to drive. Prototype cars, show cars, or unique one-off style vehicles like the Chaparral 2J. I’d love to see a few fun race offs that could involve those kinds of vehicles.

+ Ricen-Beans on April 30th, 2014 at 8:28 am said:

When will we know other features of the game?

Like if there’s going to be livery editor. Or what modes will be included in the game.

Also 30 or 60 fps?

Will buy day one regardless but I know everyone wants to know.

+ YungShep on April 30th, 2014 at 8:29 am said:

as a Motorstorm enthusiast, i must say i am delighted to get all this news about Driveclub! ever since the ps4 reveal last year in february, you’ve kept my interest! i had no intention on getting the free ps + version, i was buying this day 1 regardless.. can’t wait until October, the screenshots does make the wait even longer, lol.

+ maxvtec on April 30th, 2014 at 8:32 am said:

Please tell me it’s gonna support the G27 racing wheel, I don’t think game like this should be enjoyed with a controller.

+ Crycek on April 30th, 2014 at 8:33 am said:

Thanks for the update! Sounds like things are moving along, that new trailer is impressive. I am very much looking forward to a racer specifically designed for the PS4. Can’t wait to hear about wheel support.

+ stlthriot on April 30th, 2014 at 8:33 am said:

Looks fantastic! I can’t wait!

+ FearMonkey on April 30th, 2014 at 8:33 am said:

@3, 4 and 12 – according to an interview with Rushy on VG247, the game is 1080p/30fps.

Rushy: “[Striving for 60FPS] was something that we stated as an early target to ourselves.

“As we’ve got more familiar with the hardware, and also, looking at what we wanted from the game, we decided that 1080p, 30 frames per second is absolutely the best thing, because what that allows us to do is to deliver the most detailed cars in-race that you will ever have seen. ”

Kind of disappointing, but as long as it’s a locked 30, I guess that’s fine. *shrug*

+ MUGEN02 on April 30th, 2014 at 8:58 am said:

I didn’t see any Ferrari in the trailer. Do you mean Alfa Romero?

I’d like to see cars from Motorstorm in the game.

+ Robbie_G_lrish on April 30th, 2014 at 8:59 am said:

@8
You have the Thrustmaster T500RS? I’m really curious to know just how good a $600 racing wheel is. Does it just blow all other racing wheels away?

+ honkayjeezus on April 30th, 2014 at 9:01 am said:

Why weren’t you guys more forthcoming with the news of your game director leaving in February, also with the game’s delay just before the console launch when it was going to have a PS Plus free edition?

+ Suicidal1 on April 30th, 2014 at 9:04 am said:

Only 6 members in a Club? That’s weak, but I wouldn’t expect any less from a PS4 launch title that won’t be out until a year after the PS4 launch.

+ RedPanda2 on April 30th, 2014 at 9:05 am said:

Previously it was reported that the PS+ edition was the full game minus some cars and tracks and included the platinum trophy. Then in your IGN interview today you said it contained “part” of the single-player campaign and that it would allow you to earn trophies (but you didn’t say all trophies). Has the PS+ edition been cut back to be more like just a demo?

+ backbreaker65 on April 30th, 2014 at 9:09 am said:

Will the dev answer questions here or only on the Euro blog? if he’s answering questions here, is Dynamic Weather still part of the game

+ CrusaderForever on April 30th, 2014 at 9:12 am said:

Can’t wait to learn more! Looks like a fantastic racer! Can you shed some light on rumors that you are targeting 1080p and 30FPS? I would think having a racer at 60FPS would be paramount. Thanks in advance and it’s great to know why Driveclub was delayed.

+ Rios on April 30th, 2014 at 9:15 am said:

@18 MUGEN02, its in fact the very first car they showed, a F12 berlinetta. You can clearly see the Ferrari horse badge.

+ CrusaderForever on April 30th, 2014 at 9:16 am said:

Hmm, just read @17, thanks for the info. I agree, as long as it is locked at 30FPS then I will be fine with that.

+ pedro2504 on April 30th, 2014 at 9:21 am said:

racing wheel support?G27? i need know

+ Teflon02 on April 30th, 2014 at 9:36 am said:

I really hope it hits 60fps

+ BlueBl1zzard on April 30th, 2014 at 9:44 am said:

Can’t wait!

+ Thwip on April 30th, 2014 at 9:48 am said:

I hope the extra time spent on the dynamic menu / community features has proved fruitful. I worry that although you’ve spent a lot of time optimizing them, when it comes to launch date, they’ll get overwhelmed online like so many other games with these types of things do. How are you planning to prepare for the bombardment of players at launch, particularly if there is still a PS+ component of this game still planned?

I’m in regardless, I’m just curious.

+ MakoSOLIDER on April 30th, 2014 at 9:50 am said:

A few questions:
Will there be a audio mode for the PS Gold Headset?
Will the DriveClub APP also come to Vita?
Will there be any support for a racing wheel of any type?
Is the platinum attainable with the PS+ Edition?
What separates you and makes you different than other racers, for example, The Crew, that would draw players towards your game?

Glad you guys took the time the smooth out the road.

+ tehkeemo on April 30th, 2014 at 10:02 am said:

@19

I can tell u that, one day I decided to buy a wheel, I firstly thought G27 is awesome, and it is for the price. But once I tried T500RS and F1 addon there was no way going back. T500RS is a beast, really! FF is so strong, precise and it does not feel like a cheap toy compared to G27. T500RS is simply the best wheel I ever had. I believe Fanatec will be very similar, but dunno about the compatibility. if u have chance to try T500RS ptry it, but u have been warned! There is no way going back to cheaper wheels! :)

+ tehkeemo on April 30th, 2014 at 10:05 am said:

Guys G27 is not supported At the moment – logitech is nit aupporting PS4 and thats the reason why its not going to be supported by DriveClub. Evolution Studios said that before. T500RS is fully supported to my information. And DriveClub is locked to 30 FPS.

+ KamuiMzt on April 30th, 2014 at 10:17 am said:

Can i will use my Logitech G27?

+ Cat_Corye on April 30th, 2014 at 10:29 am said:

Just give me the Dodge Viper an get ready to lose.

+ phinnv8 on April 30th, 2014 at 10:41 am said:

Looks great and excited for the October 7, 2014 release (please no more delays). I really hope this pushes the power of PS4 in terms of graphics, sound, AI, physics, gameplay and online features especially considering the competition.

My only concern is the rumors about it not running at 60fps. It’s the consensus this framerate is crucial for a racing game, just like a multiplayer FPS.

+ Ryun0911 on April 30th, 2014 at 10:54 am said:

Yay for dumb downed demo versions provided for free, when the game was supposed to launch with this title free, what an amazing thank you :)

Think I will just pick up NFS, and quit waiting for this disappointment.

+ carnifexfortis on April 30th, 2014 at 11:24 am said:

Rushy already answered a bunch of questions on the EU blog; check it out:

some quick answers:
- 1080p/30fps locked
- hud can be disabled
- working with Thrustmaster regarding wheel support

+ Bullet_of_Love on April 30th, 2014 at 11:25 am said:

this question is probably the most redundant question but…

will ps+ still get it for free? i mean it was supposed to be free in the original release date…

and…any answers to logitech g27 compatibility???

we need answers….

+ SCYNX on April 30th, 2014 at 11:26 am said:

It is looking great! You guys take whatever time needed to finish. I always say quality over quantity, which is something gaming companies have lost throughout the years. No need to rush a work of art.

+ Dragun619 on April 30th, 2014 at 11:50 am said:

Will we be able to get the Platinum trophy with the Plus version?

+ DelicaGunz on April 30th, 2014 at 11:56 am said:

I’m not big on Racing but I will get this as soon as its available!!

+ Robbie_G_lrish on April 30th, 2014 at 12:05 pm said:

@32
Thanks for the feedback.

+ AmericianPig on April 30th, 2014 at 12:10 pm said:

Does this game include single player offline or everything need to be connected online ?

+ Macello on April 30th, 2014 at 12:14 pm said:

Evolution is now claiming you won’t able to finish the single player career despite promising a platinum for the Plus version plus they are not supporting PS3 wheels, depsite public promises. Great.

+ villdoc on April 30th, 2014 at 12:18 pm said:

I sure hope what is being said is wrong
5 tracks and 10 cars is all ps plus gets????
Thanks for waiting a whole year…. Wow
Shocked at this. Sure leaves that bitter taste in my mouth
The ps plus version is nothing more than a glorified demo…

Greatness awaited a whole year for this ?????

+ Just_killer117 on April 30th, 2014 at 12:23 pm said:

43@ you can play the full single player part in offline mode ;)
but it’s better to be connected online and plays with other players ;)

+ icorwo on April 30th, 2014 at 12:23 pm said:

I’m not usually a fan of racing games, but #DRIVECLUB looks incredible! Can’t wait!

+ villdoc on April 30th, 2014 at 12:24 pm said:

Rather just gets something else for free that month oh like another indie game…..
Which I believe is all the ps plus gets for free…
Indie games and now racing demos…..

+ fivexl on April 30th, 2014 at 12:26 pm said:

6 person club? doesnt sound like much of a club.

PAGE 1 2