PS4 - The Last of Us Remastered

Skulls of the Shogun: Bone-A-Fide Edition Rolling to PS4

Raj Joshi's Avatar + Posted by Raj Joshi on Apr 30, 2014 // Senior Producer, 17-BIT

It’s been a long road for us at 17-BIT getting Skulls of the Shogun out the door – and we hope you’re ready for what’s set to be the ultimate version of the fast-paced, turn-based strategy game: The Bone-a-Fide Edition, finally coming to PlayStation 4!

Skulls of the Shogun is a mash-up of turn-based strategy and fighting-game flare, scientifically engineered for lightning-quick rounds, thoughtful strategic play, and a frequently inappropriate sense of humor with its tongue planted firmly in cheek. And whether you’re into single or multiplayer, Skulls has you covered.
You play General Akamoto, Japan’s greatest shogun, who’s been stabbed in the back on the eve of his greatest battle – and transported to the Samurai Afterlife. But an impostor has taken your place, and it’s up to you to shatter his plans and regain your honor as Shogun – of the Dead!

Skulls of the Shogun: Bone-a-Fide Edition on PS4Skulls of the Shogun: Bone-a-Fide Edition on PS4

As you play through a beefy 10-hour single-player campaign, you’ll build up your undead army, assembling infantry, archers, and scouts, along with a magical menagerie of animal monks. You’ll haunt rice fields, build units, and power up your troops by feasting on the skulls of your fallen foes. (Remember, consuming three crunchy craniums turns any unit into a raging demon that’s always capable of turning the tide in your favor.)
Skulls is our love letter to Advance Wars, but with a twist – there’s no grid! Rather, each unit has a movement radius, and forms an impenetrable spirit wall when placed next to other friendly units. This keeps the gameplay fast and furious with “traffic jams” kept to a minimum. There’s also a physics engine in place – each enemy can be knocked back, knocked into hazards, or even better – shoved off cliffs!

We’re proud to say that The Bone-a-Fide Edition takes the original game and jacks it up to eleven, adding a brand-new single-player episode (bringing the total number of missions to 24), where you play as a new visitor to the Shores of the Dead who’s determined to take down General Akamoto. This new episode also features persistent units, allowing players to build their army and bring them into each new level.

In addition to the current batch of fireball-slinging, lightning-dropping special units, we added the brand-new Tanuki Monk, a magical trickster unit with special skills in teleportation and distracting units with his well-endowed…bells. We also assembled a batch of new multiplayer maps based on the new episode, bringing the final multiplayer map count to a staggering 36 – and every map is specifically built for 2, 3, or 4-player skirmishes.

And there’s so much multiplayer to go around! Skulls supports async multiplayer, so you can battle friends and foes alike, taking turns at your leisure. We also have Team Deathmatch modes with the Deadly Alliance feature, which lets you team up with another general…until one of you winds up stabbing the other in the back (it’s inevitable!).

Skulls of the Shogun: Bone-a-Fide Edition on PS4
A progression system has been added to the game, allowing you to build up XP and acquire titles and emblems that you can openly flaunt in multiplayer modes.

We’re proud to say that Skulls has never looked or played better. The game’s lavishly painted and hand-animated characters look gorgeous on the PS4. And, for your years, Bone-a-Fide features a distinctive soundtrack of samurai grooves composed by Makyo and Sam Bird, featuring a brand-new performance of the theme song by underground chiptunes DJ, Mega Ran!

Skulls of the Shogun: The Bone-a-Fide Edition is coming soon, so keep your eyes peeled!

+ paulogy on April 30th, 2014 at 4:07 pm said:

Looks fun! What sort of local co-op options are there?

Raj Joshi's Avatar

+ Raj Joshi on April 30th, 2014 at 4:19 pm said:

Skulls supports local multiplayer w/ up to 4 players in teams (can be human or ai). You can also bring multiple local players to an online match. You can train up in the single player campaign, and play with your friends on the 30+ multiplayer maps.

+ canedaddy on April 30th, 2014 at 4:24 pm said:

Very happy this is finally coming to Playstation! But I wish it would be hitting Vita too rather than just PS4. Any chance of that? Pretty please???

+ k0wb0y-b33b0p on April 30th, 2014 at 4:28 pm said:

Spelunky and now this?

HELL YES.

Day one purchase for me.

+ tusunami on April 30th, 2014 at 4:40 pm said:

Another great title coming out from the incredible indie developers the indie seen is heating up oh my is it the shoes lol.

+ Mando44646 on April 30th, 2014 at 4:41 pm said:

No Vita love? Id definitely buy this on Vita. Not sure if I would on PS4…

+ wilfareus on April 30th, 2014 at 4:41 pm said:

what happened to the bit about Vita? :X

+ RE_Player on April 30th, 2014 at 4:45 pm said:

I always wanted to play this but waited for it to hit Playstation. Look forward to playing it, heard nothing but great things.

+ DemoniOtaku on April 30th, 2014 at 4:45 pm said:

HEY! What Happenned to Vita’s version? Why You reposted this without Vita’s?! WHY NOT VITA?!

+ drdoak17 on April 30th, 2014 at 4:54 pm said:

Starting to regret my Vita purchase, really. Considering the lack of Western-TBS on the device, and this one actually being a quality TBS would have been a great fit…

+ Talool1 on April 30th, 2014 at 4:57 pm said:

Sony NOW is the time to enable 4K output on ps4.
can’t wait to see this kind of games at 4K.
4K and other resolutions such as UltraWide(2560*1080) as well as 120fps output, giving developers maximum flexibility.
The machine is capable enough.

#PS4at4K
I hope I’m doing it right…

+ icurafuse on April 30th, 2014 at 5:13 pm said:

Oh No! This thread has fallen victim to a horde of vita zombies!

Give us your juicy succulent Vita ports!

(Oh yeah, what about that.)

Raj Joshi's Avatar

+ Raj Joshi on April 30th, 2014 at 5:29 pm said:

we think Skulls would be awesome on Vita! And…we’re exploring that possibility :)

+ odereko on April 30th, 2014 at 5:40 pm said:

Love it.

+ cripler on April 30th, 2014 at 6:08 pm said:

Looks like it would be a fun game to play. That has to be the funniest video for a game I have seen yet.

+ hongthay on April 30th, 2014 at 6:18 pm said:

So glad this is coming to PS4; I’ll definitely be picking it up.

I have been waiting for it to hit Android, so I could play it on the go, but now that it is coming to the PS4, I am hoping for a Vita port and will wait for that.

+ TheBlueCrow on April 30th, 2014 at 6:34 pm said:

This is my first time hearing of this game. It looks fun! The recent slew of potential cross-buy Vita announcements has got me eying that device. Add me to the Vita request list! I’m loving all these local co-op games.

+ WaReWoLf4194 on April 30th, 2014 at 6:58 pm said:

Wasn’t there a blog post earlier today that said this game would be coming to the vita?
This game looks really good, and I would totally buy it day one on the vita.

+ GStylez1980 on April 30th, 2014 at 7:06 pm said:

I also want to add my voice to those calling for a Vita version of this game. With this game’s pristine reputation when it was other consoles and the Vita’s user base that loves all games released on the platform, it’ll sell like gangbusters. I’d buy day one

+ GrafUlrich88 on April 30th, 2014 at 10:20 pm said:

Hey Raj,

This looks really fun and addicting. I’m looking forward to a release date so I can prepare for battle!!! HAHA!!!

Cheers!

Graf

+ iREVOLTER on May 1st, 2014 at 5:00 am said:

OMG! Never saw this one coming ;). Thx Raj and PS Team for bringing over to PS Family this title, heard a lot and never got a chance to play it. I guess now is the right time to try it on PS4.

+ Macello on May 1st, 2014 at 5:55 am said:

Please support the Vita touchscreen over remote play! Trine does it!

+ ECisMe on May 1st, 2014 at 9:38 am said:

I’ve been intrigued by this game ever since the initial Win 8 release. Really wish you were also releasing this on PS3, I definitely would have purchased it! Ah well, best of luck nonetheless :)

+ yentair on May 1st, 2014 at 2:53 pm said:

lol, I like seeing everyone begging for Vita ports on the forums of all these new games. I love my Vita and wouldn’t mind more games coming to it, but it might take more than a vocal minority to get these ported.
Sony needs a special program or team that makes porting games as easy as possible. We can’t expect all these little indie teams to port every game they make, especially without a bigger install base waiting for them.
And just curious, who are the kids faces in the picture at the top? Is there a story behind that?

Raj Joshi's Avatar

+ Raj Joshi on May 1st, 2014 at 8:29 pm said:

those are our friends’ kids who were cast for maximus cuteness. it’s a bit of an homage to crazy old game commercials from the ’80s and ’90s. the commercial for Joust blew our minds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYqS4lHZqI8 :]

+ nakano1987 on May 2nd, 2014 at 10:32 am said:

I have considered to buy this. Considered first getting it on Steam, but been partially waiting a PS3 port. Seems you jumped straight to PS4 so Steam Sale is maybe my best option.

+ Elvick_ on May 4th, 2014 at 1:31 am said: