PS4 - The Last of Us Remastered

Spelunky Coming to PS4

Derek Yu's Avatar + Posted by Derek Yu on Apr 30, 2014 // Mossmouth

Hello, past, present, and future Spelunky fans! I’ll keep it short and simple: Spelunky is coming to PS4!

Spelunky on PS4

We’re once again teaming up with BlitWorks, who did a great job on bringing the game to PS3 and PS Vita. For PS4, we want to do even more — like bump up the graphics to 1080p, let players upload replays to the leaderboards, add more social features to the Daily Challenge, and otherwise take advantage of the PS4′s unique hardware.

I attribute a lot of Spelunky’s success to sharing and streaming, and since the PS4 is built in great part around those ideas, we want to make sure that we do everything we can to support that culture! Let us know in the comments if there’s anything else you’d like to see us add.

Spelunky on PS4

Spelunky on PS4Spelunky on PS4

If you already bought Spelunky on PS3 and Vita, thank you so much! You’ll also own the game on PS4 when it comes out, since we’re including it as part of cross buy. But if you don’t have it on console yet, the PS4 version launch would be a great time to see what it’s all about, since you’ll also get the game on PS3 and PS Vita!

PAGE 1 2

+ TheWarOrphan on April 30th, 2014 at 3:50 pm said:

I love you guys!!!!!

+ Alex_dlc on April 30th, 2014 at 3:50 pm said:

Will it support cross save?

+ g-sweeper_6 on April 30th, 2014 at 3:50 pm said:

Love this game! Was just playing this late last night on Vita. Thanks for the cross buy, can’t wait to play this on PS4 and share my amazing moments!

+ mettreidici on April 30th, 2014 at 3:50 pm said:

No please… stop… Too much Spelunky on my ps3 already ;p

+ MapleStory on April 30th, 2014 at 3:51 pm said:

God, I love Spelunky, I just wish that it had online co-op. Ad-hoc co-op is so damn fun on the Vita. Huge thanks for porting it onto the PS4 as well. Also of not, I got the last trophy in it yesterday, Speedlunky, in 7 minutes and 14 seconds! haha

+ MapleStory on April 30th, 2014 at 3:52 pm said:

note*, even.

+ iTofuMan on April 30th, 2014 at 3:52 pm said:

Oh God YES! been playing this way too much on my pc and Vita, having it on my ps4 will be awesome!

+ grantgoddard on April 30th, 2014 at 3:53 pm said:

The new UI looks really clean. Can’t wait.

+ majesticbeastt on April 30th, 2014 at 3:53 pm said:

Mr Yu you just want me to keep Spelunking all day erryday. Thank you so much for crossbuy love your game.

+ reverendnja on April 30th, 2014 at 3:54 pm said:

So if I already own the Vita version, I’m entitled to the PS4 version on release? Drool…

+ mettreidici on April 30th, 2014 at 3:54 pm said:

@MapleStory
Gratz! That’s the only trophy I don’t have. I may have conquered Hell 20ish time, that speedrun is just too hard.

+ Vorrtexx on April 30th, 2014 at 3:55 pm said:

Fantastic news. The screenshots show the Pro HUD from the PC Version. Does this mean it will be available on the PS4 version too?

Can you give more details about uploading replays to the leaderboard? Sounds interesting.

Derek Yu's Avatar

+ Derek Yu on April 30th, 2014 at 7:04 pm said:

Basically, you’ll be able to attach a replay of your run to the leaderboard along with your score so that other players can watch your run (or if you want to review it yourself)! We may find other ways to use the replays, as well.

And yes, the pro HUD will be available on PS4, and should also be patched into the PS3 and Vita versions as well.

+ CtrlZ on April 30th, 2014 at 3:56 pm said:

Any word on the pro hud being patched into the VITA build?

Derek Yu's Avatar

+ Derek Yu on April 30th, 2014 at 7:05 pm said:

It will be included in the next update.

+ McWild77 on April 30th, 2014 at 3:57 pm said:

I LOVES ME SOME SPELUNKY, get in my PS4 now!

+ vanwinkle on April 30th, 2014 at 4:00 pm said:

Woooo! One of the best games ever made!

+ MassaBR on April 30th, 2014 at 4:00 pm said:

Awesome that it’s cross buy! If you release some costumes DLC I’ll be sure to grab it to support that wonderful decision.

Any chance the Vita is getting the new HUD? Nice to see that it’s coming to the PS4 version, but the Vita is really begging for it due to the screen size. Either way Spelunky is by far one of my favorite games ever, I play it on Vita almost every day.

Cheers!

+ strider367 on April 30th, 2014 at 4:01 pm said:

What’s next pong?

Derek Yu's Avatar

+ Derek Yu on April 30th, 2014 at 9:22 pm said:

Ha! No offense taken. ;)

But seriously, I urge you to read some reviews and maybe watch a few videos. It’s a tough game with quite a lot of depth and unless you absolutely hate 2d platformers, I think you’ll enjoy it. I know a lot of people who love big budget 3d games that also love Spelunky!

+ Michaux-0 on April 30th, 2014 at 4:01 pm said:

Fantastic! I am insanely addicted to Spelunky (moving towards 3,000 deaths with a few wins here & there). I strictly play it on Vita because I find the controls much tighter, but will certainly give the PS4 version a spin. Also, love the new look of the hud. That should make it easier to see the Market key when it’s hiding up in a corner. Now, how about giving us a bone on Spelunky 2…?

+ that1guy488 on April 30th, 2014 at 4:07 pm said:

This is awesome, I love his game! Would love to see cross save and the new features that have been added to the PC version, especially the new HUD.

+ Slizarus on April 30th, 2014 at 4:07 pm said:

I’m glad you guys read my mind! I really wanted to get into the whole sharing my daily challenges like other people do (Thank you SO MUCH for Daily Challenges on the PS btw!!! )

This’ll let me make the sharing a part of my daily thing for a bit, I’m looking forward to it, I Love spelunky, 1000+ deaths, still haven’t beaten the game lol :D

+ paulogy on April 30th, 2014 at 4:08 pm said:

Yay, another great PS4 game I now already own because of cross-buy!

+ CONTOM-X on April 30th, 2014 at 4:10 pm said:

Thank you SO MUCH for this! Makes me glad that I bought this game day 1. To anyone who is still on the fence about Spelunky: get it. It’s an amazing game. It is also amazing to play on the go with the Vita (it’s one of my most-played Vita games)
Few things you should consider adding to the PS4 version:
-You should add an extra unlockable character or two for the PS4 version! It was fun unlocking all of the characters on the Vita/PS3 version, but I just wish there were more.
-Is it too greedy to ask for online co-op?

Derek Yu's Avatar

+ Derek Yu on April 30th, 2014 at 9:37 pm said:

We’ll definitely consider adding a new character or two!

As for online co-op… unfortunately, it probably won’t happen, given how inherently difficult it is to implement properly. It never hurts to ask about it, though! If we ever come up with a solution that works reasonably well and lets us release on time, we’ll do it.

Thanks a ton for supporting us on day one!

+ coolasj19 on April 30th, 2014 at 4:10 pm said:

Thank you Blitworks and Derek for the Cross-Buy gift. It’s very very very much appreciated. Even if I intended to double dip anyway I think the goodwill you garner from me is well worth it. Especially after y’alls absolutely fantastic Fez port. I’ll keep my eyes on y’all, so keep it up.

+ Nadafinga on April 30th, 2014 at 4:10 pm said:

Fantastic to hear this is coming to ps4, it’s one of the only reasons I still have my ps3 still plugged in! Would love to see the pro HUD on consoles as well.
It took me over 800 deaths to get all the shortcuts and beat Yama, but I still need to beat the game the “hard way!”

+ Amnalehu on April 30th, 2014 at 4:19 pm said:

So glad I bought a Playstation 4! This is going to be epic!

+ k0wb0y-b33b0p on April 30th, 2014 at 4:19 pm said:

OMG… YES.

+ MapleStory on April 30th, 2014 at 4:19 pm said:

@mettreidici: Thanks, it was tough! haha Don’t give up though, it seriously took me around 200 attempts until I finally managed to do a run where I was lucky enough to finish quickly (and with only a shotgun, compass, 11 bombs, and sticky bombs to boot!). 8 minutes gives you enough wiggle room to be cautious, so you don’t have to completely blaze through each level. Compass is a major help, of course, but most of all, you’ll need patience and nerves of steel!

+ MapleStory on April 30th, 2014 at 4:21 pm said:

@strider367: If you’re going to cry about more games on the PS4, go find another hobby or go play on the competition’s underpowered console. ;P

+ Hoovalation on April 30th, 2014 at 4:29 pm said:

NICE! I was worried I’d have to by it again. I can’t wait to upload tons of deaths to Facebook. :)

+ LongFlopper on April 30th, 2014 at 4:31 pm said:

Anyone know when???

+ strider367 on April 30th, 2014 at 4:32 pm said:

@maplestory How much do you get paid for being a mindless fanboy? Is this supposed to be a next gen console or a pre ps3 platform. You may enjoy going backwards I don’t…

Derek Yu's Avatar

+ Derek Yu on April 30th, 2014 at 10:32 pm said:

Actually, the graphics in Spelunky had to be compressed quite a bit to fit on PS3. It may not look it from a few screenshots, but the game has huge textures given the number of different sprites and tiles. On PS4 we can display the graphics uncompressed at a higher resolution.

The PS4 also lets you stream easily, and while that’s great for all the games on there, it’s especially great for Spelunky, because of all of the possibilities in the randomized level design (which is quite forward-thinking, in my humble opinion as the designer). If you think it plays like a 16-bit platformer from the 90′s, you’d only be right in the sense that you jump around on a single plane – there’s a lot more to it that! Otherwise, it wouldn’t be such a popular game to stream!

+ Nazotchi on April 30th, 2014 at 4:33 pm said:

Thanks for making it cross-buy! Now I can finally live stream my console Spelunky endeavors.

+ tusunami on April 30th, 2014 at 4:33 pm said:

Glad I bought this through ps plus another stellar game. I haven’t even played this yet but this looks like loads of fun.

+ thebiglouie on April 30th, 2014 at 4:44 pm said:

You need to add a mode where it records the last 5 seconds of the player before and after you die with the PlayStation Camera. It would be pretty funny to catch some of the reactions players get from dying.

And as others said, please patch the PS3/Vita version with the new UI.

+ RewindTheGamer on April 30th, 2014 at 4:54 pm said:

This + the ability to turn off HDCP just made my day.

+ Talool1 on April 30th, 2014 at 4:57 pm said:

Sony NOW is the time to enable 4K output on ps4.
Can’t wait to see this kind of games at 4K.
4K and other resolutions such as UltraWide(2560*1080) as well as 120fps output, giving developers maximum flexibility.
The machine is capable enough.

#PS4at4K
I hope I’m doing it right…

+ Capt-Fury- on April 30th, 2014 at 5:00 pm said:

please include online co-op!

+ GoateeSox on April 30th, 2014 at 5:37 pm said:

I would love the ability to make a “beat this” built in screenshot and sharing system. With Spelunky being such a challenge a high score chase game, the ability to simplify the “come see and come beat this” would be awesome. Even a place to put your PSN ID so you have build a friends list of other Spelunky nuts :)

+ ChaoticAssault31 on April 30th, 2014 at 5:49 pm said:

Cross buy? YES! :) I can’t wait to play this and Hotline Miami free on PS4! :) So happy. Cross buy for the win. :) Thank you PlayStation!

+ roxas2719 on April 30th, 2014 at 5:56 pm said:

Online Multiplayer would be great!!

+ that1guy488 on April 30th, 2014 at 6:09 pm said:

Would love to see more trophies, including a platinum!!

+ starry_nights on April 30th, 2014 at 6:35 pm said:

Some PlayStation exclusive characters would be cool I think. Like Nathan Drake maybe?

+ TheBlueCrow on April 30th, 2014 at 6:38 pm said:

Awesome, cross-buy. Thanks! I’m getting really excited about all these indie local co-op games.

+ MapleStory on April 30th, 2014 at 6:40 pm said:

@strider367: Sorry to hear that you wasted your money. :( You poor, overlooked, entitled PS4 owners deserve nothing but AAA, multi-million dollar production games with 6 hours of pew-pew gameplay complete with stacks of paid dlc because they had to rush the game out.

In all seriousness, get off your high horse and realize that there’s other people out there with PS4′s with an eclectic taste in games and who aren’t as narrow-minded as you are. The more games and developers Sony has, the better.

+ PrimeroIncognito on April 30th, 2014 at 7:01 pm said:

Spelunky is one of the best games ever made. I’m not kidding.

+ sainraja on April 30th, 2014 at 7:14 pm said:

Thank you for supporting cross-buy! I have already bought your game twice! :) Once on the PC and then on PlayStation so it is great to hear that since I bought the PS3 version I’ll get the PS4 version as well. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

+ sainraja on April 30th, 2014 at 7:15 pm said:

You guys have earned my trust by doing this! Look forward to the next game you guys release on the PS4!

+ PartyPachanga on April 30th, 2014 at 7:17 pm said:

Awesome! You guys are the best!

+ MoonageDeath on April 30th, 2014 at 7:24 pm said:

Will it have multiple character skins? Cosmetic customization? Cheeseburger?

+ Doctor_Hank_Pym on April 30th, 2014 at 7:40 pm said:

!!!!!! One of my faves of 2013, and the most-played thing on my Vita. I’m so loving this new trend of past purchases becoming future Cross-Buy titles on PS4… thanks, Derek!

PLEASE allow for progress, unlocks and trophies to auto-sync across all three versions!!! (similar to how the PS3 and Vita versions work now!)

PAGE 1 2