PS4-Watch_Dogs

This Week in PlayStation: Viva La Vita

Justin Massongill's Avatar + Posted by Justin Massongill on May 11, 2014 // SCEA Social Media Specialist

Lots of news on the ol’ PlayStation.Blog this week! First things first: The slimmer, lighter PS Vita model is now out in the wild as part of a limited Borderlands 2 bundle (read my hands-on here). We got an up-close look at the extensive armory of Bungie’s space-faring epic Destiny, we debuted some slick new Tales From the Borderlands screens, MLB ’14 The Show stepped up to the plate on PS4, Harmonix wants to bring back Amplitude (!!!), we dropped a bunch of Driveclub news (and PS Plus Edition upgraders will keep the game, even if their subscription lapses), and we want you to send us a letter — yes, in the mail.

What are you playing?

• I’m playing: Sportsfriends, Final Fantasy XIV
  • I’m watching: Done with Seinfeld… what should I watch next?
  • I’m listening to: RX Bandits, George and Jonathan

This Week’s Top 10 Posts

Most-Watched Video of the Week

32 Comments

+ peanut0423 on May 11th, 2014 at 1:19 pm said:

Watch Seinfeld… again.

+ Sharingan_itachi on May 11th, 2014 at 1:22 pm said:

No price or demo for Soul Sacrifice Delta. am cry

+ swweet on May 11th, 2014 at 1:25 pm said:

“Viva La Vita”? When you haven’t even announced a price for a game that you guys are publishing, that is hitting the PSN in 2 days?

C’mon, guys. We all know that the Vita userbase loves their jRPG’s. Stop trying to pretend that there isn’t a market for the Vita in the west, and give the market that you have what they want! I swear, if the Vita is ignored at E3 again this year…

+ starscreamerx31 on May 11th, 2014 at 1:27 pm said:

Hey Justin,
Watch sons of anarchy for action and drama

Or

Always sunny in Philadelphia for laughs

+ Mando44646 on May 11th, 2014 at 1:47 pm said:

What a joke. If Sony wanted Vita to live, they’d actually advertise and promote it, as well as giving us Western games that it needs to sell. I have not seen a single ad for the new Vita or Borderlands anywhere on TV or online. Sony is so good at failing on this

+ swweet on May 11th, 2014 at 1:51 pm said:

@5 I’d argue that the Vita doesn’t need Western AAA titles to “survive”, mostly since the current weeaboo demographic has caused the attach rate to soar, which in turn has caused more japanese third parties to support the platform.

They really need to focus on that strength right now, really.

+ KangarooSam on May 11th, 2014 at 1:59 pm said:

Mad Men, House of Cards, Breaking Bad, Fringe; all are great shows.

+ fatdog21 on May 11th, 2014 at 2:27 pm said:

This is silly. You guys just told all vita owner that there wont be any AAA titles coming. I can understand its not profitable to make a big budget title for vita but there have to be a way to get western vita owners good quality games that appeal to us…….

+ AaronBEAST92 on May 11th, 2014 at 2:42 pm said:

Maybe y’all should do another post on Driveclub because a lot of people don’t know about the new update and it got a lot of bad feedback on the last post due to the upgrade ..just saying and thx for fixing it:)

+ gideoned on May 11th, 2014 at 3:52 pm said:

After watching all of Seinfeld, you should definitely watch Curb your Enthusiasm.

+ Kieferw on May 11th, 2014 at 4:30 pm said:

I agree JRPG’s and games like Danganrompa have a big place in the vita library. The whole reason I bought one was Persona 4 golden! I love my vita and think its the perfect platform for Role playing games.

+ DarkOne_PR on May 11th, 2014 at 4:42 pm said:

Viva la vita? I just saw that SSdelta its only digital! for real?! im done with digital! im not buying anything AAA digital. I want my physical copies of my freaking AAA games. JESUS!

no wonder the vita doesnt sell. ppl go to the store to buy a vita and all they see is a empty shelf where theres suppose to be games… and the little games they have in store is all ports! PORTS! AND MORE PORTS! Im tired of this S#!T

GIVE ME EXCLUSIVE AAA GAMES FOR THE VITA FOUNDED NOWHERE ELSE! More of Gravity Rush, TearAway, Ys celceta, Soul Sacrifice and all those expiriences u can get NOWHERE ELSE!

this E3 is ur last chance sony with the vita. I really hope u bring the big guns for the vita bc if u dont, consider the vita DONE.

+ Rezolution77 on May 11th, 2014 at 5:13 pm said:

As a Vta owner, if you can nnot bring us AAA games faster I could find Solace in more PS2 classics making their way to Vita (real HD remakes) even better.

Though I liked gameplay better on God of War PSP, I can not disagree that even with the cutscene problems, it still looked better.

And would kill you to let us redownload our movies more than once.

Due to memory card issue I lost the first season of Clone Wars. I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER MOVIE UNTILL YOU DO.

+ DarkOne_PR on May 11th, 2014 at 5:33 pm said:

also make the vita have at least 3 accounts! Me and my Wife both play on the vita and she wants to have her own vita trophy list! and there are games like Smart As that she cant play bc the game starts in my safe! it sucks!

+ LuiSpartanMIMIMI on May 11th, 2014 at 6:02 pm said:

First of all: I LOVE MY VITA.

Viva la Vita? Vita is dead.

Now it’s nothing more than a indie portable and a PS4 controller. Vita was launched to be a true portable with console like experience, but it is not.

I’ll say it forever: Sony is not capable of handling two consoles. They should cease vita investiments and focus all their resources at PS4. Deal with it.

+ jose213jose on May 11th, 2014 at 6:09 pm said:

When will we see PS Vita Update to fix/add the following:

1. When PS Vita enters sleep model then you wake it up and open “Friends App” it says you don’t have any friends and you need to add some. This has not been fix and its rare when it shows up.
2. It sometimes show that i have two of the same friends on my list when i don’t at all.
3. Browser needs update to fix some problems like reloading of the pages and/or when page won’t load up at all. Only fix i found was closing the App and restarting it.
4. Skype App freezers up the whole PS Vita system when someone is calling me when i’m playing Video Game or not. This problem has show up twice in single day for me. Haven’t found fix round it at all.
5. The PS Vita system has some latency problems with the following: OS and APP’s slowing down (Happens rarely or when system is wake up from Sleep Mode and/or when changing out Memory Cards), turning off the WiFi/Bluetooth, Some Video Game’s controls being slow for input(Rare to show up), and Update to fix these’s problems.
6. Hope that the PS Vita next System Update will fix most of these’s problems and be fine tune even more so the OS is Stable from latency and other problems i have list from 1-5.

+ jose213jose on May 11th, 2014 at 6:11 pm said:

7. PS Vita 1000 Model to have some accessory like add-on Camera (Low-light cam with 4MP) to be hook onto its accessory port for users who own 1000 Model of PS Vita.

+ kenj77 on May 11th, 2014 at 6:24 pm said:

If you lowered the price for the memory cards for the Vita I would buy the new Vita in a flash. If not, then I will not even consider getting one

+ DarkOne_PR on May 11th, 2014 at 7:09 pm said:

@kenji77

dude… u DO know that the borderlands bundle comes with 1GB integrated and 8GB memory card right? the memory cards whining its overrated. i bought my 32GB memory card on a gamestop special at 50bucks.

+ BahumatIsBack on May 11th, 2014 at 10:22 pm said:

@DarkOne_PR

dude….u DO know that comparable micro SD cards at 32 gigs in size sell for 10 to 20 bucks? They made it a proprietary memory card so you’d be forced to buy one from them, but they don’t keep the price of them even remotely in line with the rest of the micro storage market

Add to that if you want a 64 gig card it’s gotta be imported from Japan whether you import it or a US retailer imports it. By the way, I have an 8 gig, 32 gig, and a 64 gig card and they’re all full but I refuse to buy another card because they’ve priced themselves out of the market

+ mc_issa on May 11th, 2014 at 11:54 pm said:

i m playing dragon bal ZBOZ AND WORMS revolution
i m listening europ1 on tunein radio

+ iREVOLTER on May 12th, 2014 at 1:11 am said:

Vita = Life!

+ alexroedor on May 12th, 2014 at 5:49 am said:

The Vita is dying =/

+ ninth_prey on May 12th, 2014 at 6:25 am said:

Indies are nice and all but seriously, its time for some new AAA games for the vita. Im seriously not happy that SSD is digital only. With memory being such a premium on the vita I prefer physical to digital.

If there is nothing announced for vita AAA wise I may start to lose hope in the handheld.

+ Rezolution77 on May 12th, 2014 at 7:24 am said:

Definately agree with you @nineth_prey.

But it should be the software licensing you shold be worried about.
Personaly I have a 32 and finally a 64.

Most of my PSOne and PSP games have been stored away, after thinking the kids needed more space with my smaller card and realizing (yawn) that they only play certain games and now alot of tha time is on the PS3 and my littlest uses it to browse thigs on youtube like angrybirds,minecraft, or annoying orange(ugh).

But people should not have to be concerned with having All their games stored since ***Sony*** should be ensuring they do not have to.

I do not mind paying for a wonderful thing like a 64 gb memory card (the size of a pinkie nail) .
Its how often (32 and then 64).
It seriously blows to buy another card only to find out shortly after that the cost was more affordable of the on you bought that another one double the size is available online (that they had all along)

Seriously wrong.

+ MONEY-MAKN-MITCH on May 12th, 2014 at 7:40 am said:

When is the HBOGO AND MAXGO APPS coming out for the vita.

+ LokeSTL on May 12th, 2014 at 8:09 am said:

The Vita died in my house the moment that we realized it was not set up for families. Got one for myself at launch, then for each of my two kids for Christmas. Claimed all of the codes on my master account. Then found out that you could share purchases from the master account to the sub-accounts like previous hardware. Can’t use the Plus games from the master account to the sub-accounts either. Just not set up for families AT ALL. This might be acceptable in the East, but is definitely not going to fly here. Same reason the digital purchases won’t work for Nintendo. They also want to lock things to one device, which doesn’t work for families. I don’t expect you guys to do the necessary work to the Vita, but you may definitely want to keep this in mind when building the licensing structure for the next handheld. Hope you guys are listening…

+ jasperg27 on May 12th, 2014 at 8:54 am said:

Arrow / Agents of Shield / G.O.T. / Community (RIP)

+ zirocrath on May 12th, 2014 at 1:23 pm said:

@DarkOne_PR

Couldn’t agree with you more in any aspect… you go to any store and Vita shelves are empty.

PSP had many console selling games, MH franchise for example was the main reason, for many, the ONLY reason. Then we had FFVII Crisis Core. Castlevania X Chronicles, which had 2 games in one (actually 3), we had Dissidia, 2 exclusive GOW games (not ports) and even the GTA franchise, although a bit lame, made it’s way to the PSP…

And we are not even able to replay the games we bought for PSP, I’ve to but to shove the minidisks up my &&S and buy them, again… in exchange for … for what? What exclusives does the Vita has??? Gravity Rush… Tearaway… and some MH wanna be.. some good, some bad… and that’s it…

Now we are celebrating that a 2009 game (Borderlands 2) has been ported to Vita… another port…
And for the rest., all we are getting is indies (old, overpriced for the sake of the “portable” perk)… are some of them good, fun, that can provide many hours of gameplay? Sure! But only a few..

Sony, go to the Vita Menu, open the Store, Browse your PS VITA ONLY catalog and see for yourselves the reason of our disappointment.

+ dkarlowicz10 on May 12th, 2014 at 3:49 pm said:

Response to #3 and #6 comments from swweet. You might be a big JRPG lover, but some of us (including me) are not. I bought PS Vita for games like Uncharted: Golden Abyss (which I completed 3 times). I hate JRPGs and some of the weird Japanese style games that have recently came out and are due to come out in the future. All I have is Indies right now. Dead Nation and GOW HD Collection are the only decent recent games that had come out, but both of those I have already played on PS3. Besides Borderlands 2 and maybe Sly Collection, there is nothing on the release calendar for the rest of year that really interests me. Sony, please release more Western AAA Games like original GOW, Infamous , GTA, NBA, NHL, WWE and so on. Don’t abandon us.

+ CommandingTiger on May 12th, 2014 at 4:33 pm said:

I know that this E3 will be pretty jammed packed with PS4 games, which I hope it is.
But don’t forget the PS Vita.

Nintendo couldn’t make both the 3DS and the Wii U fit inside the E3 presentation, so they made a show especially for the 3DS,

It would be great for the PS Vita to have it’s own show dedicated to the hundreds of games that will be available for it.

HOWEVER You need to display ALL of the PS Vita games arriving for the system in the US for the upcoming year, otherwise they won’t even be on store shelves for the most part. Key AAA Vita titles to be shown during E3.

It will be hard to make it all fit, so talk fast! lol. jk.

+ Jhooud on May 13th, 2014 at 5:50 am said:

I’m pretty happy with my Vita. I’ve got some great games on there that get a lot of playtime, and enough variety that I don’t get bored. Really the only major disappointment I have is how poorly remote play was implemented between the PS3 and the Vita. I guess I’d thought that remote play would cover any game that was either on the hard drive or in the disc drive of my PS3 and sadly that hasn’t been anywhere near the case. C’est la vie, I suppose.