PS4-The Order

PlayStation Plus: Skullgirls Encore Free for Members

Kristine Steimer's Avatar + Posted by Kristine Steimer on May 12, 2014 // Sr. Community Specialist

Skullgirls Encore boasts some really unique characters. This fighter’s roster is comprised of mainly females (hence, “Skullgirls” and not “Skullpeople”) and includes really oddball personalities. There’s Cerebella, an orphaned circus performer who happens to have a kick-ass living hat with massive arms, the feline-esque Ms. Fortune who cannot die since she swallowed a Life Gem (making dismemberment part of her playstyle), and Double, an amorphous character that can transform into anything, but usually hangs out in as a nun. The game has a fantastic art style, and the Encore version includes gameplay updates, balance changes and new stages and music.

We’ve got some discounts below for our members as well, including a sale on content for some Free to Play titles like DC Universe Online, Blacklight Retribution and Dust 514.

You can download Skullgirls Encore after the PlayStation Store updates tomorrow, May 13th.

Plus - Skullgirls Encore

Join PlayStation Plus

PlayStation Plus: Instant Game Collection

Skullgirls Encore (PS3)

Free for PS Plus members

Skullgirls Encore
Skullgirls Encore is an update to the original Skullgirls, a fast-paced 2-D fighting game that puts players in control of fierce warriors in an extraordinary Dark Deco world. Building on its established game systems tried and tested by veteran and casual fighting game fans alike, Skullgirls Encore includes new systems, new stages and music, balance adjustments, gameplay tweaks and more. All brought to you with the same high quality Skullgirls and Lab Zero Games are known for!

PlayStation Plus: Discounts

Title Plus Price Regular Price
Hitman Absolution Special Edition $8.99 $19.99
Hitman Trilogy HD $14.39 $39.99
Tomb Raider (PS3) $13.49 $29.99
Serious Sam 3: BFE $14.99 $19.99

PlayStation Plus: Last Chance

Last Chance (Leaving on 5/20)

Instant Game Collection
Brothers A Tale of Two Sons (PS3)
Unit 13 (PS Vita)

Discounts
Titan Attacks!
Titan Attacks!
Titan Attacks!
Wolfenstein The New Order (Pre-Order)
Wolfenstein The New Order (Pre-Order)
Spartacus Legends 1100 Gold Coins
Warframe: Warframe 370 Platinum
Warframe: Warframe: 1000 Platinum + Mod
Warframe: Warframe: 170 Platinum
Warframe: Warframe: 2100 Platinum + Mods
Warframe: Warframe: 3210 Platinum + Mods
Warframe: Warframe: 75 Platinum
500 Zcoins (Premium Currency)
1,000 Zcoins (Premium Currency)
2,500 Zcoins (Premium Currency)
5,000 Zcoins (Premium Currency)
10,000 Zcoins (Premium Currency)
100 Zcoins (Premium Currency)
Dc Universe: Dc Universe Online Lightning Strikes (2)
Dc Universe: Dc Universe Online Origin Crisis (7)
Dc Universe: Ultimate Edition Starter Pack
Dc Universe Online Ultimate Edition
Dead Or Alive 5 Ultimate – Complete Casual Collection Vol. 1
Dead Or Alive 5 Ultimate – Complete Doa5 Costume Set
Dead Or Alive 5 Ultimate – Ultimate Sexy Costumes

If you’ve got feedback on today’s Plus update, make sure to vote in the poll and leave a comment below. To discuss all things PlayStation, including this update, you can also head over to the PlayStation Community Forums where you’ll find topics you can contribute your thoughts to, or start one for yourself.

+ CrimsonDream24 on May 12th, 2014 at 9:44 am said:

Pretty bad week. Nothing interesting being released this week, alreay have the PS+ free game for this week, and the sale this week I wouldn’t even consider taking part in. You guys offer great value most of the time but lately I’ve been feeling let down. Here’s hoping things get better in the next couple of weeks.

+ Bowl10 on May 12th, 2014 at 9:46 am said:

@Kristine, i have no interest in F2P microtransactions but will we ever get non-F2P DLC sales?
How about themes for PS4?

@adsps: @yosp @amboyes @giocorsi @shahidkamal Please re-enable the PSOne, PSP games on Vita. Fans want it! #VITAnoLicenseLock #FreeOurGamesOnVita

+ Bowl10 on May 12th, 2014 at 9:46 am said:

How about themes for PS4?

+ Nynja on May 12th, 2014 at 10:06 am said:

“Free to Play Sale”

Anyone find the irony in that even the slightest bit humorous?

+ Welmosca on May 12th, 2014 at 10:21 am said:

Gladly I bought the 1st version of Skullgirls….so I got Encore for free some months ago.For everybody that haven’t tried it yet…enjoy…game’s amazing.

+ mmitch079 on May 12th, 2014 at 10:21 am said:

@#27, remaining schedule is:

Puppeteer and Surge Deluxe – 5/20
Limbo – 5/27

Sony sent an email to me last week entitled “Want free games?” and one of the graphics in it showed the May games and the scheduled date they will be added to PS+.

+ HustlaLive on May 12th, 2014 at 10:23 am said:

Are the DCU Free to Play sales also for the PS4?!?!

+ iREVOLTER on May 12th, 2014 at 10:24 am said:

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees! Skullgirls are mine! Thx, I’ll definitely play this one.

+ Rezolution77 on May 12th, 2014 at 10:27 am said:

Have to give this one a shot.
Too bad not for Vita and at a price geared towards digital.

Nothing for me ths week, but good thing, my son seemed real interested in Minecraft.
Unfortunately, the Multiplayer is not what I imagined.

Really hope it will be CrossBuy with Vita so at least I can do a little building (portably).

+ Rezolution77 on May 12th, 2014 at 10:30 am said:

Oooh.
Puppeteer free next week. Almost picked that one up.

+ hahpurr on May 12th, 2014 at 10:42 am said:

PlayStation should do more for PS4 owners. One free game a month and they tend to suck. PS3 has quantity and quality free games. All your free to play games cost money to advance in them. And they are not worth it. Please show me something to make me say ,”WOW, PlayStation Plus is awesome.” If it wasn’t for your new xbox like policy (low blow), no online gaming without a PlayStation Plus membership, I would have cancelled months ago.

+ SanelessOne on May 12th, 2014 at 10:43 am said:

Another breather week for my wallet. And wow those “Free” to play prices for whatever garbage currency they have.. I wish people would stop playing those games.

+ Rezolution77 on May 12th, 2014 at 10:44 am said:

And since I like thought bublbles.

Anyone not enjoy Unit 13, crazy f you don’t.
Bought that on full price (digital), and its been worth every penny.
Send a friend inivite and I’ll play a Co Op game sometime.

+ Fiznu on May 12th, 2014 at 10:45 am said:

Sorry, but Free to PAY titles need to die a quick death on consoles! I have ZERO interest in EVER paying money for FTP games, sale or no sale! GET RID OF THEM SONY!

As for Tomb Raider…I haven’t played the PS3 game yet, I am waiting for the PS4 version to go on sale. I heard it was half off for EU PS+ gamers…why not bring the sale on it here! As soon as it is available for $40 or less, I am buying…but I have a hard time paying full price for what is essentially an old game!

+ Rezolution77 on May 12th, 2014 at 10:48 am said:

Agrees with #53 @Bowl10.

+ ein_nineteenth on May 12th, 2014 at 11:01 am said:

” All brought to you with the same high quality Skullgirls and Lab Zero Games are known for!”

Oh man, thanks! I needed a good laugh today.

Won’t be renewing my plus for a while then.

+ Bloodrosetear on May 12th, 2014 at 11:12 am said:

i do not understand why people want to get rid of free to play games you don’t like it then don’t play them. A lot of people play these games. to the people saying that other people should stop playing free to play games and sony to get rid of FTP games obviously dont know how much money these games bring in especially dc universe i know people that have been paying the subscription for that games since day one and still are becuase they ENJOY the game just because you do not like doers mean its a legit reason to get rid of them. i dont like call of duty myself but just because i do not like it does not mean they are going to stop making the game. in the same way, why should sony cater to your satisfaction at the expense of others? and i doubt most people are as dedicated to the games they play like the people that are playing these free to play games to spend more than hundreds of dollars in one game… but that is my opinion on the matter…

+ MajinGamerX on May 12th, 2014 at 11:13 am said:

Is the DOA Ultimate DLC cross-buy with the VITA version?

+ Lance_87 on May 12th, 2014 at 11:14 am said:

Serious Sam 3? Didn’t see that coming. I thought it was one of those semi-obscure ports that eventually reached development hell, only to be silently released a couple of years later (like Painkiller: Hell & Damnation). Might get it once it comes to Europe. Does it come with all DLC from the PC version? Especially Jewel of the Nile.

+ TJF588 on May 12th, 2014 at 11:25 am said:

Sadly, I already have Skullgirls (PROTIP: it’s just one word, folks; “Skull Heart”, however…). Awesomely, I already have Skullgirls! More than any other traditional fighter, it’s this one which I’ve cut my teeth on the genre by, due to its detailed, newbie-friendly tutorials, which not only teach you about this game, but all like it, from lingo to emergent techniques to inherent strategies.

!!! BE SURE TO ADD THE NEW CHARACTER “BIG BAND” TO YOUR DOWNLOAD LISTS WHILE HE’S STILL FREE !!!

Like all DLC characters, he’ll be free-for-keeps for three months from date-of-release, then bump up to five real American dollars. He’s a grand ol’ time to play, especially the novel musicality of his trumpet (used for ensemble musical numbers, as seen on YouTube and even here at the Blog) and the use of his taunt to extend his special moves.

As for F2P discounts? My best bet’s DCUO, and DOA5U if there were more than the costume packs (esp. those fan”service” types) in play. But, then, I’m not sure how far from SGE I’m willing to stray.

Now, to address others’ comments…

+ TJF588 on May 12th, 2014 at 11:41 am said:

@7 saab01 – I don’t have PSASBR yet, though I picked up the new characters. Wouldn’t mind seeing it shuffled in.

@12 IVANBARROK – That’s how Europe rolls, but would cause a misstep here, since all games are kept in the IGC for a month’s time at least, leading to either some cut short or having more than the standard number during transition.

@ccrogers15 – Blind hate in general aside (you and others all), for this particularly title, I’d be pressed to imagine it on mobile devices with anything less than physical controls, unlike the touchscreen variants of Street Fighter and King of Fighters, among others. This is literally an arcade-control sort’f title, since it was released for machines in Japan after its Encore overhaul.

+ TJF588 on May 12th, 2014 at 11:41 am said:

@49 error_unknown – In this case, it’s an understatement. I encourage everyone to join the official groups for “Skullgirls” and the “Skullgirls ∞Endless Beta∞” on the Steam Community. Not only are the games patched and tweaked non-stop, but the notes themselves are entertaining reads that show not only MikeZ as a clever fellow player, but thoroughly embroiled in the game’s community, sometimes even linking YouTube videos of the little exploits diehard players have dug out.

@66 ein_nineteenth – As above, Skullgirls is honed to a point… Which is then cracked, skewed, and honed again in the feedback cycle that has defined its Encore existence.

@69 Lance_87 – That was on my mind, too. As much as every bit* of BFE’s been on sale on PC, I’d hope they just mashed it all together for its PS3 debut.

*sans the golden pre-purchase skins

+ barbob75 on May 12th, 2014 at 12:02 pm said:

The 1000 plat for warframe for me. Love that game. Skullgirls is fun, im not good at fighting games i do enjoy them. Blazblue is my fav though.

+ Shadow_Enz on May 12th, 2014 at 12:35 pm said:

Serious Sam finally makes it?!

+ ethomaz on May 12th, 2014 at 12:52 pm said:

No Rhino Prime discount?

+ Macabro on May 12th, 2014 at 1:04 pm said:

Let’s hope there’s a weekend flash sale.. Lately I dont even look at the tuesday sales until I see if there’s gonna be a weekend falsh sale. They are much better. The activision sale last week was an insult to sales everywhere.

+ Black_Plague_69 on May 12th, 2014 at 1:12 pm said:

Just bought DCUO Origin Crisis last night for $10, after waiting months for a possible sale. ALL PlayStation Plus discounts should be retroactive 5 – 7 days on purchased items for members. This is not right.

+ Trini_Outsider34 on May 12th, 2014 at 1:34 pm said:

Not seeing Skull Girls on the Canadian PSN store.Or could I be late and the store hasn’t updated yet.

+ Lucent85 on May 12th, 2014 at 1:35 pm said:

Nothing good in the sale. I don’t really play free to play games to, y’know, pay. lol.

+ PrimeroIncognito on May 12th, 2014 at 1:38 pm said:

ccrogers15 on May 12th, 2014 at 8:37 am said: “I’m not trying to sound like a whiny little kid but seriously”

Too late. :/

ccrogers15 on May 12th, 2014 at 8:54 am said: ” I hate them (indies), and I know many others do too. You should see my poll on the PS Forums general section about the IGC. Many said the same.”

Whiners make the most noise. And a poll like that isn’t credible anyway considering it represents such a tiny percentage of the community. Sony won’t look at your poll, they’ll continue to look their own figures, mostly sales numbers, and see that Indies are selling very well, and that the vast majority of Plus subscribers are satisfied.

On top of that, they can only give you what they have anyway. You can ask publishers to put their games on the IGC, but with an understanding ahead of time that they have every right to decline if they wish. You should really just buy the games you want, to support the developers. Stop trying to get everything on the cheap and then whine when your personal requests aren’t granted. But, like I said, too late. You already made yourself look like a whiny little kid.

+ purse317 on May 12th, 2014 at 1:41 pm said:

Skullgirl is awesome to see in the IGC

The free to play sale is awful that is not what we hope to buy as plus members

Lastly haven’t we seen both of the Hitman games and Tomb Raider on sale several times already. I’m sure this is the 4th time if I’m not mistaken

+ Rezolution77 on May 12th, 2014 at 1:46 pm said:

PLEASE BRING MORE PSP TITLES TO VITA AND HAVE SALES ON THEM.

Would beat the Indie Complaints, Add Funds to Sony or Sony Affiliates, and they are already made.
Your losing money on this one……..Badly.

+ MrBulldogger on May 12th, 2014 at 1:48 pm said:

Dumb

+ Rezolution77 on May 12th, 2014 at 1:49 pm said:

And PrimeroIncognito.
Do you EVER form a free thought of your own, or do you constantly have to tailgate on everyones elses.
Go back to playing Hamsterball already.

+ hobomancer on May 12th, 2014 at 1:52 pm said:

Premium currency discounts on every free to play except Sony’s own DCUO =(

I definitely would have gone for some SC coins if they were part of the free to play sale.

+ PrimeroIncognito on May 12th, 2014 at 2:04 pm said:

@ Rez

Huh? I’m confused that statement.

Sometimes I feel like I’m the only one thinks freely in a sea of troll clones who parrot each other’s petty complaints or regurgitate what some reviewer said about something, without any hands-on experience of their own to speak from…

Oh, I see. You’re trying the “flat-out inaccurate fabrications” tactic at discrediting me. Well, just like all other tactics you use, they’ll fail just as miserably.

Anyway, I haven’t played Hamsterball since the day I beat it. All at once. A few years ago.

It’s pretty fun though, I remember. Even has some old-school Marble Madness-type levels. You should try it. Your kids would love it, I’m sure. :)

+ PrimeroIncognito on May 12th, 2014 at 2:07 pm said:

*** BY that statement.

*** WHO thinks freely

See, I got so confused by your jibberish, that I missed typing 2 entire words! Good lord…

+ MrBeatdown on May 12th, 2014 at 2:09 pm said:

The fact that you can’t get trophies in the base game of DCUO without subscribing still keeps me from playing it.

+ Kevvik on May 12th, 2014 at 2:46 pm said:

Skullgirls could have potential but otherwise a meh week for me. Never been one to pay for in game money. Hopefully better sales next week.

+ PainOfSarrow on May 12th, 2014 at 2:55 pm said:

ccrogers15 , i guess you havent tried 95% of the indie games listed on psn. you’re lost.

+ WolfyHopeless on May 12th, 2014 at 3:09 pm said:

I literally JUST bought two 20 buck platinum packs for warframe yesterday to find I could have gotten 1000 + a mod tomorrow on top of an extra 170….

I know the nature of these things and it’s all buyer beware but I kinda wanna punch a hole in my laptop screen right now.

+ lloommkk on May 12th, 2014 at 3:11 pm said:

I am a Plus member yet I cannot see the Warframe bundle that has been discounted from 99.99 to 67.49 pls help…

+ stalepie on May 12th, 2014 at 3:37 pm said:

@92: the store updates on Tuesdays, usually late afternoon

+ Gamerzlimited on May 12th, 2014 at 4:17 pm said:

Skullgirls, great game. Sucks I own it already. Anyway who bought the original before it got taken down would have gotten the game for free anyway thanks to Lab Zero and can keep it forever. Kind of a waste of a PS+ game in my opinion, but good for those who don’t own it yet.

@MrBulldogger So are you.

+ m_serpil_m on May 12th, 2014 at 4:44 pm said:

What an awful sale, come on guys what is going on last week that activision pice of crap sale and now this.

+ kazekaine1 on May 12th, 2014 at 4:49 pm said:

No pupeeter this week again i thought it would have been the game of the month? :(

Suggestions for June Monthly
ps3
Mass effect 1
Dark souls
God of war acsension
Ps4
knack

vita
Dead Nation , Ninja gaiden sigma plus

+ GummyCore on May 12th, 2014 at 5:04 pm said:

I assume DC Universe Online free-to-play does not have monthly fees, right?

Is the free version level capped or something (like Uncharted 3 multiplayer free-to-play)? Must this “Ultimate Edition” be purchased to uncap or unlock the actual full game?

Is the Ultimate Edition also a ‘complete edition’, in that it includes all playable DLC contents (less costumes and such perhaps)?

How newbie-friendly is the game? Will your level 1 char immediately run into max level chars on the opposite side when you first step into the world?

Also, are the players separated by geographic or PSN regions?

+ JayDrm on May 12th, 2014 at 5:16 pm said:

got nothing to do here. oh well. >.>

+ Husteen on May 12th, 2014 at 5:27 pm said:

hmm… i might get dc universe online for that price. i hope it’s the ps4 version! i checked out the ps3 version and thought it was really cool at first, but got bored of it within a few days and deleted it. i’m guessing it will be more engaging on the ps4 where i get to actually talk with other players.

and i wish that was tomb raider definitive edition for $14 because i’d definitely get it for that price.

+ vstarwow on May 12th, 2014 at 5:29 pm said:

@lloommkk today is Monday………….