GTAV PS4

Freedom Wars: The World of Panopticon

Dais Kawaguchi's Avatar + Posted by Dais Kawaguchi on May 14, 2014 // Associate Producer, SCEA

It’s been a few weeks since we made the announcement for the North American release of Freedom Wars, and we’re overwhelmed with all the positive comments we’ve been seeing! Today, we’d like to dive deeper into the world of Freedom Wars on PS Vita.

Freedom Wars

In PT Era 102014, the earth has been devastated by atmospheric pollution and the world is running out of resources. Human beings can only survive inside purpose-built facilities known as Panopticons. City-states across the world fight each other to take control of what is left, using these Panopticons to take over other competing regions. You take on the role of prisoner in this Panopticon facility, subject to a million-year sentence.

Freedom Wars

When the story begins, the main character finds himself in a cell with no recollection of where — or who — he is. An Android, also referred to as an “Accessory” throughout the game, is sent to brief him on his fate. The Accessory tells the protagonist that he must fight massive Abductors to reduce his million-year sentence. Abductors are mechanic monsters that roam the earth, abducting citizens. It’s the player’s duty to work with your Accessory and other players to rescue civilians and take one step closer to freedom.

Freedom Wars

Freedom WarsFreedom Wars

After taking a look at a few screenshots, you’re probably asking yourself how you’ll be able to overcome these massive Abductors. That brings us to the weapons…

In Freedom Wars, players will be able to use variety of weapons such as Swords, Rifles and Machine Guns. However, the most unique and valued weapon is the Thorn that is wrapped around the player’s arm. The Thorn can be used to retrieve accessories, hook on to enemies or walls, move vertically, travel quickly by pulling the character to where the thorn has been attached, tie down Abductors, and more.

Freedom WarsFreedom Wars

We’ll have more to share leading up to launch, so stay tuned to PS.Blog. We’re also excited to announce that a playable demo will be available at E3! If you’re attending the show this year, please swing by our booth and experience the world of Freedom Wars first hand!

+ poodude on May 14th, 2014 at 9:05 am said:

Game looks really cool; glad it’s being localized. Don’t know if you guys can answer this yet, but will the game be sold at retail or it will be digital only like Soul Sacrifice Delta?

Dais Kawaguchi's Avatar

+ Dais Kawaguchi on May 18th, 2014 at 11:12 pm said:

We’re happy to hear that you’re excited.
    We don’t have the answer to that question yet but this currently being discussed. Please expect to hear from us in the coming weeks!

+ Ryumoau on May 14th, 2014 at 9:07 am said:

Looks interesting. Hope that demo you mentioned will be available to the public on the psn store as well later on. I’d like to try this before i consider buying it.

+ Elvick_ on May 14th, 2014 at 9:12 am said:

I know that there’s a listing on GameStop already, but will it definitely be a retail release?

I wanted to buy Soul Sacrifice Delta, and I probably would have dropped my PS4 and FFXIV like a ton of bricks for it, but it was digital only. And I’m not buying that. Why can’t you just do limited retail releases like niche publishers do? I mean, sheesh.

Will Oreshika be digital only too? If it is, I won’t be buying that either. Which is disappointing as well, because I want it and SS Delta.

+ Gorvi on May 14th, 2014 at 9:18 am said:

Any chance we’ll be able to download the demo? FW looks awesome, I’d love to be able to get my hands on it.

+ jchill001 on May 14th, 2014 at 9:18 am said:

JUST GIMME A RELEASE DATE!!!!!!

+ Sharingan_itachi on May 14th, 2014 at 9:24 am said:

Will we get a downloadable demo? Pre-order bonus? Release date?

Dais Kawaguchi's Avatar

+ Dais Kawaguchi on May 18th, 2014 at 11:16 pm said:

We will be releasing more information very soon. Thank you for your patience.

+ Trendy_Kid on May 14th, 2014 at 9:26 am said:

I’ve been following Freedom Wars for a while now. Definitely going to pre-order this one!

+ dodgedoors on May 14th, 2014 at 9:28 am said:

This looks awesome. I hope you advertise for this.

+ markedman54 on May 14th, 2014 at 9:37 am said:

Pre-Ordered last weak on Amazon. Can’t wait.
Only $29.99?! Couldn’t resist.
Thanks for bringing us more greatness to the Vita.

+ italodancemp3 on May 14th, 2014 at 9:43 am said:

Yeah agree with other guys please release it In retail as well.

Dais Kawaguchi's Avatar

+ Dais Kawaguchi on May 18th, 2014 at 11:26 pm said:

We are listening to everyone’s comments and will do everything we can :)
    Please keep voicing!

+ DanteMerfi on May 14th, 2014 at 9:54 am said:

Can’t wait.

+ SaranghaeLo on May 14th, 2014 at 9:55 am said:

I hope this gets a limited edition or atleast a physical copy not like SS Delta which is a digital release only.

+ Shiroyami on May 14th, 2014 at 10:04 am said:

It’s always nice seeing images for the Female MC and Male Accessory. It’d be nice if the E3 demo gets released publicly over the summer too!

+ Rezolution77 on May 14th, 2014 at 10:06 am said:

Interesting. Not a Day 1 or digital for me untill a sale.

We need more games like this, maybe not this one, but one designed better.

More usage of online, trades, group forming, and really good AI.

Really would like one with the addition of a crafting sysem, focus on pvp or battlegrounds included.

+ G-Force08 on May 14th, 2014 at 10:07 am said:

I will definitely play the demo at E3. I have been waiting on this game since the first teaser was shown by PlayStation Japan. I’m SO glad it’s getting localized.

Thanks for the update! :)

Dais Kawaguchi's Avatar

+ Dais Kawaguchi on May 18th, 2014 at 11:29 pm said:

Thank you so much for your comments and support!
    The game is looking great and we can’t wait to release it in North America.

+ Rezolution77 on May 14th, 2014 at 10:09 am said:

Guess I will go back to playing SS untill Delta goes on sale, save and transfer.
Maybe by then,this one will go on sale.

+ LiddoJunior on May 14th, 2014 at 10:11 am said:

Looking forward to hearing/seeing more about this game. :)
This post definitely got my attention for this game.

Dais Kawaguchi's Avatar

+ Dais Kawaguchi on May 18th, 2014 at 11:30 pm said:

More info to come soon.
    Please stay tuned for more!

+ Rezolution77 on May 14th, 2014 at 10:13 am said:

You could even set up a crating area zone, that could be open or closed join with emotes / actions.

Cmon designers, I only play these games.

+ xClayMeow on May 14th, 2014 at 10:30 am said:

Game looks really sweet with all that verticality during combat. I hope it lives up to the hype!

My question is, is this more like Soul Sacrifice where you tackle arenas, or is it a full blown open-world adventure game where you can actually explore outside of combat?

+ muha_ronin on May 14th, 2014 at 11:02 am said:

This is only game that I am looking forward to more than Monster Hunter: Frontier G for Vita, but I do hope we will have opportunity to try demo version first.

+ somebodyissilent on May 14th, 2014 at 11:06 am said:

Any Collector’s Edition?

+ TheOathsworn on May 14th, 2014 at 11:07 am said:

Been following this since it’s initial announcement last year and looking forward to see some more.

Will most likely be buying this once it’s released, it seems to be right up my alley after seeing everything that`s been shown.

Dais Kawaguchi's Avatar

+ Dais Kawaguchi on May 18th, 2014 at 11:32 pm said:

Thanks for your comments!
    We can’t wait to get it in your hands :)

+ ninth_prey on May 14th, 2014 at 11:14 am said:

So, are you going to deceive us again and make this digital only as well or will you give us what we want a release a physical copy. I still have a sour taste in my mouth over Soul Sacrifice Delta. I REALLY wanted that art book and was ready to drop $70 to get a special edition if thats what it would have taken.

+ TeamGreen615 on May 14th, 2014 at 12:43 pm said:

As soon as it is confirmed for a retail copy I will preorder. I don’t know of the top of my head who made Godeater 2 but I would love to see it come to the west as well. Thanks for sharing more info on the game.

+ JandxFan on May 14th, 2014 at 12:50 pm said:

I’ll definitely will buy this, looks like an awesome game! On another note: could you patch Borderlands 2 on PS Vita? People have been encountering game-breaking bugs, and I can’t really buy it unless you guys fix it.

+ Dragonsmana on May 14th, 2014 at 4:26 pm said:

I am really looking forward to this, and as long as there is a physical release, you have my money!

+ Lovely-san on May 14th, 2014 at 4:41 pm said:

Can’t waaaait, can’t wait, can’t wait, can’t wait…

+ GummyCore on May 14th, 2014 at 4:56 pm said:

Will there be selectable Japanese voice over?

Dais Kawaguchi's Avatar

+ Dais Kawaguchi on May 18th, 2014 at 11:37 pm said:

Yes, we plan to include the Japanese voice over!
    We are listening :) Please keep voicing.

+ Gamer_USA- on May 14th, 2014 at 5:45 pm said:

I consider this a AAA title. Looking forward to it

+ Awsaim on May 14th, 2014 at 6:02 pm said:

Hope this releases this year, I needed something besides FFX to play on my Vita!

Dais Kawaguchi's Avatar

+ Dais Kawaguchi on May 18th, 2014 at 11:39 pm said:

Yes, we will be releasing Freedom Wars in 2014.
    We don’t have the exact release date but we will make the announcement as soon as we find out.
    Thanks for your patience!

+ Souledge94 on May 14th, 2014 at 6:06 pm said:

only 4 questions

1)this is english dub right?

2)Is there an actual story mode something like god eater or even soul sacifice?

3)will there be some sort of demo?

4)Is this phsyical or digital release and if phsyical any plans of a limited edition?

Dais Kawaguchi's Avatar

+ Dais Kawaguchi on May 18th, 2014 at 11:44 pm said:

I wish we had the answers to all your questions but here’s what we have:

1) We will include Japanese voice over.
    2) Yes, there is a single player story mode.
    3) We will have a playable demo at E3.
    4) We don’t have the answers yet but we are planning to give everyone an update in the coming weeks.

Thanks!

+ Lakaru_01 on May 14th, 2014 at 6:28 pm said:

I’ve been waiting for this game. I hope there’s a physical copy of this. please please pleaase….

I’ve already played all my target games already. This one is on my list and I really wanna play this as soon as it arrives here on our country. :3

I hope it will be released soon….

Been wanting this game really…..

+ tusunami on May 14th, 2014 at 7:23 pm said:

I see nothing but a great wealth of variety on the PS Vita original games as well. This will be another game for me to get too!!!!!!!!

+ MushThePainter on May 14th, 2014 at 7:24 pm said:

Day 1 purchase for me. hopefully a physical copy. Will buy either way, the game looks awesome

+ exjraordinary on May 14th, 2014 at 10:17 pm said:

@24 was Namco Bandai and for 25 Borderlands 2 was patched yesterday and is amazing even before the patch. Cheers.

+ BlueBl1zzard on May 14th, 2014 at 10:18 pm said:

The trailer with gameplay I saw sometime back reminds me of Gods Eater Burst. Plus I love games with pretty much any type of grappling-hook mechanic ;) I do plan on picking this up, but a demo wouldn’t hurt either.

+ exjraordinary on May 14th, 2014 at 10:18 pm said:

Theres a physical release on Amazon.com now that you can preorder for only 29.99.

+ IzoGray on May 15th, 2014 at 6:17 am said:

Only 1 imporrtant question

1. Will I be forced to play as a white skinned kid or will there be some actual variation in what color my character is? I noticed in one character creation video that there are a ton of colors for the hair….I hope you put as much thought into the skin color.

Dais Kawaguchi's Avatar

+ Dais Kawaguchi on May 19th, 2014 at 12:04 am said:

1 important answer

Yes, in Freedom Wars, your character and accessory can be fully customized.

+ Shedagilos on May 15th, 2014 at 7:56 am said:

This game looks very interesting. Hope a retail copy is available as well. If you want gamers to go mostly digital, then lower the cost of memory cards! Looking forward to this game!

+ MilkAndCats on May 15th, 2014 at 8:31 am said:

All I can do is get pumped for this. I hope we don’t wait that long for it to come stateside.

+ cj13810 on May 15th, 2014 at 12:16 pm said:

Im just wondering if the story will be any good because I don’t normally like games like monster hunter because they don’t seem to have much of a story.

Dais Kawaguchi's Avatar

+ Dais Kawaguchi on May 19th, 2014 at 12:06 am said:

There is a deep story line in Freedom Wars and we hope you enjoy it!

+ jchill001 on May 15th, 2014 at 8:36 pm said:

will this game have english voices?

+ zirocrath on May 16th, 2014 at 6:11 am said:

Looks awesome, reminds me a lot to Gods Eater… but I’m kinda tired of MH formula.. God eater, Tuokiden, Soul Sacrifice, Ragnarok etc… I know they feel different, but it is always the same grindfest and repetitive mission playing…

They are keeping this as they signature gameplay formula… and it’s a niche

May play a demo if there’s one… just for the sake of it.. but won’t buy it..

+ Ryuxo-San on May 17th, 2014 at 5:54 am said:

You can pre-order the retail ver. in Amazon :)

+ GENETICIDE on May 18th, 2014 at 3:41 am said:

Oreshika and Inevitable Freedom Wars update = no physical no buy. Learn it. Know it. Live it.

+ Hulk2c on May 20th, 2014 at 8:01 pm said:

Should I get a vita?

+ Lakaru_01 on May 20th, 2014 at 10:51 pm said:

Thanks for the updates.
Really looking forward to this game.

Can’t wait…. xD

+ PrinceofXIII on May 29th, 2014 at 1:20 am said:

Make it retail and dual audio and we’re good to go :P