Driveclub

Promote Real Music in BigFest on PS Vita

Nick Accordino's Avatar + Posted by Nick Accordino on May 14, 2014 // Associate Project Manager, SCEA

Revealed at Gamescom 2013 for PS Vita, BigFest is about building your own festival that will promote real, unsigned bands. Players will go on a journey with the bands with the goal of building their own thriving festival and becoming the most successful promoter in the world.

Do you have what it takes to discover the next big thing, and take them to the top of the charts?

Before you take a band to the top, you’ll need to give them a platform, and that means building the best festival you can. Starting with a small stage in a field, it’s up to the player to build their festival their way. Choose the basics from shops and stalls to earn money and use that money to enhance your festival by installing the right speakers, lights and video screens, increasing the “vibe” as you go.

The levels themselves are run as Festival “Posters,” with headliners and support acts. Some Posters will let you play whatever music you want while others will have specific needs to succeed. Visitors to a rock festival will have different needs to those at a dance festival, so it’s up to you to keep everyone happy.

BigFestBigFest

Once the platform is set, it’s all about the music! Create your soundtrack to the game by breaking real bands from the real world. Discover artists to create your own playlist from a library of thousands of songs which will dynamically change and grow as new bands enter the game.

If that wasn’t enough, your friends can be there to share the journey. Visit each other’s festivals and choose to be a good friend, or for the more competitive player, a bit naughty. For example, boost each other’s festivals by gifting a must-have rock statue or repairing a broken toilet. Alternatively, simply cause chaos by destroying a friend’s video screen or even their stage.

Together, build the stars of tomorrow by favoriting bands, sharing playlists, and voting for songs. We look forward to showing you more in the future, and hope you’ll be as excited as we are about bringing real music and gaming together.

+ Pabloo1010 on May 14th, 2014 at 10:38 am said:

Finally some news! Looking forward to this.

+ Nick Accordino on May 14th, 2014 at 11:14 am said:

Thanks Pabloo! Can’t wait to share more information with you soon!

+ Elvick_ on May 14th, 2014 at 10:40 am said:

This is going to be a great way to discover music.

+ Nick Accordino on May 14th, 2014 at 11:15 am said:

Elvick, I love seeing you on here! Thanks for the nice comments – I’ve discovered all sorts of new bands just by playing so far, so I can personally attest to this!

+ luvtoseek on May 14th, 2014 at 10:42 am said:

Haha, I don’t listen to the radio- a meta music game? Let’s try it! (8

+ Nick Accordino on May 14th, 2014 at 11:19 am said:

I love the enthusiasm! Can’t wait to bring more info to you soon!

+ matos_richard on May 14th, 2014 at 10:46 am said:

damn it I can’t wait to have this game. when is the release? I love to use this to promote my band. we’re almost done with our 1st album.

+ Nick Accordino on May 14th, 2014 at 11:19 am said:

We’re working hard to bring it to you as soon as possible – look forward to playing it later in 2014!

+ SmokeAdellic on May 14th, 2014 at 10:48 am said:

How would a musician go about getting ones music featured on there….I would love to be a part of this!

+ Nick Accordino on May 14th, 2014 at 11:22 am said:

We’re going to be partnering with Jamendo to bring players a wide variety of tracks from unsigned artists – I’d start with trying to get your music on there! (http://www.jamendo.com/en/welcome)

We’ll have a lot more details for you in the future, so stay tuned!

+ Shiroyami on May 14th, 2014 at 10:48 am said:

Such a great idea, will stay tuned =3

+ Nick Accordino on May 14th, 2014 at 11:23 am said:

Thanks very much! We’ll have more info for you soon!

+ BloodshotMartyr on May 14th, 2014 at 10:50 am said:

I love the concept of this. As a music lover and Vita owner this definitely has my attention.

+ Nick Accordino on May 14th, 2014 at 11:26 am said:

Thanks very much! We promise you’ll have a great time and discover lots of new music by playing, so please look forward to it!

+ esornad on May 14th, 2014 at 11:03 am said:

This looks fantastic. It seems like a nice reiteration of the sim genre which is so much fun. I think the Vita is a great platform for it too. Release date please!!

+ Nick Accordino on May 14th, 2014 at 11:27 am said:

We’re working hard to bring it to you this year – promise we’ll have more info for you soon! Thanks for the kind words!

+ G-Force08 on May 14th, 2014 at 11:06 am said:

Nice concept and I have always been a little interested in the game since its announcement. I’d like to know more, so I’ll be looking forward to more info soon! :)

+ Nick Accordino on May 14th, 2014 at 11:29 am said:

Thanks G-Force – we’re thrilled to be able to bring it to SCEA as well, so we really hope you enjoy it! Watch this space for new info! :)

+ RichiRamjag on May 14th, 2014 at 11:12 am said:

Sup with some news of release? No new info here really, some new screenies? Please? xD

+ Nick Accordino on May 14th, 2014 at 11:30 am said:

You’ll be seeing lots of stuff soon, promise! :)

+ Vengeance1138 on May 14th, 2014 at 11:17 am said:

Any chance of Industrial / Dark Electro bands in this? Or will it just be mainstream “Osheaga” style lineups?

+ Nick Accordino on May 14th, 2014 at 11:33 am said:

You’ll see a very large variety of different genres represented – there’s definitely something there for everyone. Look forward to showing you more!

+ Robbie_G_lrish on May 14th, 2014 at 11:19 am said:

Is the music censored?

+ Teh_AKOD on May 14th, 2014 at 11:45 am said:

Its been a while since I was so hyped for a music game. Can’t wait to try this one out.

+ Nick Accordino on May 14th, 2014 at 11:48 am said:

Thanks very much! Can’t wait to show you more!

+ IwillKILLurGOD on May 14th, 2014 at 11:49 am said:

It’s like my mind was read. I was looking up information on this game a week or two ago as it had gone silent since Gamescom. Love the idea. Can’t wait to play it.

+ Nick Accordino on May 14th, 2014 at 12:27 pm said:

Well we are mind readers! (kidding)
    Thank you very much! Look forward to showing you more!

+ MaDogNik96 on May 14th, 2014 at 12:07 pm said:

As a huge fan of music and new artists, and video games, I can’t wait for this game. It’s really exciting to me to discover new artists. I remember seeing this from Gamescom 2013 and thinking “That’s cool!”. Plus I liked the trailer song so much I went and bought it lol (Eliza and the Bear – Friends).

+ Nick Accordino on May 14th, 2014 at 12:29 pm said:

I love the enthusiasm – thank you very much MaDogNik!

Your experience with Eliza and the Bear is exactly what we’re going for with Big Fest – we want people to have a great time while also discovering great music!

We’ll do our best to bring you more detailed information soon, so stay tuned!

+ Criscross87v3 on May 14th, 2014 at 1:14 pm said:

I’ve been looking forward to this game since the original annoucment. The last few weeks, I’ve been thinking this game was canceled

+ Nick Accordino on May 14th, 2014 at 11:16 pm said:

Not a chance! Just waiting for a good opportunity to share the news! :)
    Thanks for the kind words!

+ DonArmageddon on May 14th, 2014 at 1:16 pm said:

Looking forward to creating the ultimate EDM/Trap music fest!

+ Nick Accordino on May 14th, 2014 at 11:17 pm said:

That’s the spirit, DonArmageddon! Looking forward to hearing about your adventures in Big Fest!

+ groupama3 on May 14th, 2014 at 1:21 pm said:

Looks great Nick, will it be linked to Music Unlimited in any way? Would be cool to see Featured Playlists on there from Big Fest :-)

+ Nick Accordino on May 14th, 2014 at 11:18 pm said:

Hey groupama3! At the moment we don’t have anything to announce regarding Music Unlimited, but that could always change! Watch this space!

+ Scoobdude on May 14th, 2014 at 3:24 pm said:

awesome. I have a lot of friends that play. And this is an awesome idea!!!!

+ Nick Accordino on May 14th, 2014 at 11:19 pm said:

Thank you very much! Looking forward to sharing more with you!

+ yael_Pretige123 on May 14th, 2014 at 4:40 pm said:

this game going to be free or we have to pay?

+ Nick Accordino on May 14th, 2014 at 11:20 pm said:

It is a free-to-play title, so I hope everyone gives it a shot!

+ Neil on May 14th, 2014 at 4:49 pm said:

Wow, so refreshing! Sorry for port begging but would also love this on PS4!

+ Nick Accordino on May 14th, 2014 at 11:21 pm said:

Thanks Neil! I’ll keep your suggestion in mind! :)

+ JayDrm on May 14th, 2014 at 4:50 pm said:

I LOVE YOU! <3

+ Nick Accordino on May 14th, 2014 at 11:21 pm said:

::Han Solo voice:: I know. ;)

+ Atherworld on May 14th, 2014 at 6:38 pm said:

Looks very interesting.

+ Nick Accordino on May 14th, 2014 at 11:22 pm said:

Thanks very much! Hope you check it out!

+ CommandingTiger on May 14th, 2014 at 6:40 pm said:

When is it coming out?
I’ve been waiting forever for this.

+ Nick Accordino on May 14th, 2014 at 11:23 pm said:

BigFest will be out later in 2014! A little too early to give you a precise date, but please stay tuned!

+ Kai_Shenlong on May 14th, 2014 at 7:01 pm said:

I’d never heard of this game before. It sounds interesting, though. I’ll have to check it out, I really enjoy sim games.

+ Nick Accordino on May 14th, 2014 at 11:25 pm said:

Thank you Kai – I think you’d find it right up your alley! Discovering new music is such a great bonus when you’re having fun within the managerial aspects of running your festival. Thanks for the kind words!

+ tusunami on May 14th, 2014 at 7:15 pm said:

I like the originality that I know the PS Vita is capable of great experiences on the platform. I am glad to have purchased a PS Vita this game looks like spectacular experience I can’t wait to play!!!!!!!!!!

+ Nick Accordino on May 14th, 2014 at 11:25 pm said:

Thank you very much tusunami!

+ Rootboi_Root on May 14th, 2014 at 8:28 pm said:

I Like! Very nice, one request, just in case you guys are considering Free To Play, pleaaaaaaase be fair. No Heroes Allowed, No Puzzles Either did it totally wrong, would hate a good looking game like this to be destroyed by free to play barriers.
But hey, don’t even know if that’s what you are trying to do. Anyways good luck to you guys! Hope you knock it out of the park with this one!

+ Nick Accordino on May 14th, 2014 at 11:28 pm said:

It is indeed free-to-play, but I promise we won’t let any purchases get in the way of giving you a complete, fair experience. The game’s really about having a great time while you discover new bands – we won’t do anything to hamper that. :)

+ Amnalehu on May 14th, 2014 at 8:35 pm said:

I have been waiting to hear about this game for some time! Glad to hear some news. I can’t wait to play it!

+ Nick Accordino on May 14th, 2014 at 11:29 pm said:

Happy to help! Look forward to sharing more with you soon!

+ veryhoudini11 on May 14th, 2014 at 8:52 pm said:

this is such a cool idea. thanks so much for the much anticipated update!!! cant wait for the release.

+ Nick Accordino on May 14th, 2014 at 11:30 pm said:

Thanks veryhoudini! (Love your PSN name!)
    We’ll be sure to bring more news to you soon, so please look forward to it!

+ plaztiksyke on May 14th, 2014 at 11:25 pm said:

I”m excited to try it as a gamer, and as an indie music artist (the making of the making of) I’ll be uploading a few of my more popular tracks to Jamendo to see what extra exposure I can get.

All my released songs to date are on Sony Music Unlimited — will the game allow players to “bookmark” songs for later listening in Music Unlimited?

+ plaztiksyke on May 14th, 2014 at 11:29 pm said:

Another question, will the audio quality of the songs be pretty high? Spotify’s streaming quality is 320kbps Ogg, and Music Unlimited is 320kbps AAC — I hope this downloadable title’s audio quality at least matches the streaming audio quality.

+ Nick Accordino on May 14th, 2014 at 11:33 pm said:

Sounds great plaztiksyke! I hope we get to hear your music in the game!

There’s nothing we can really announce regarding Music Unlimited, but I’ll be sure to share your feedback about “bookmarking” songs with the team!

I’ll also have to get back to you on the audio quality specifics. All I know right now is that the game sounds pretty amazing with a nice set of headphones!

+ GGCAN on May 15th, 2014 at 7:22 am said:

Thanks Nick.

Please keep us posted; looks very interesting !

+ Crazy-Maisy on May 15th, 2014 at 7:55 am said:

I’ve been looking forward to this game, glad to hear it being talked about on the blog! Someone asked about it in the forum here the other day, I had been looking for information, then the next day, here’s a blog post!

Eager to hear more in the coming months!

+ ima_hustla_19 on May 15th, 2014 at 9:14 am said:

How do you go about getting someone’s music into the game? For instance I have a friend who’s performing local shows and would live to be able to use his music at my festival.

+ mig_az on May 15th, 2014 at 9:33 am said:

I remember when this was announced I was so excited and intrigued, I’m glad to hear about it again. It’s mixes my love for music with my love for my vita :)!

+ DeMoN__650 on May 15th, 2014 at 10:35 am said:

Can’t wait to create my own EDC festival! :P

+ Rainwater on May 15th, 2014 at 12:50 pm said:

Cool! I’d have placed bets this was going to be a Europe only release. i.e. I assumed from the announcement that it was a partnership with some European media company.

+ Kai_Shenlong on May 15th, 2014 at 1:08 pm said:

@ima_hustla_19

They covered the website they’re partnering with to bring the music to this game in the response to post #5.

+ the-party-b on May 15th, 2014 at 8:27 pm said:

I actually had no plans on owning a Vita until I saw this game announcement.
Any ideia when we can expect a release date?

+ RoD_GX on May 15th, 2014 at 9:52 pm said:

I welcome a SIM game made for our beloved handheld and when it comes to involving music, things get magically addictive! In other words, I presume this game will guarantee HOURS of fun, not to mention the multiplayer feature is always there to welcome the friends and the ‘friends’. I will support your game because it’s something new, supports multiplayer and (mainly) because it’s made for the PlayStation Vita! BTW will it support NEAR? Also, do you guys plan on adding DLCs or add-ons such as Avatars and maybe a Vita Theme? Please tell me so, be a nice guy :-P

I’m looking forward to hearing more from this game! YES!

+ TellEveryone on May 16th, 2014 at 3:25 pm said:

Very curious, how can a band or artist have their music featured in the game? Is there a point of contact where we may be able to submit bands/songs for the game? Thank you, and know I greatly look forward to this title.

+ Lokidies on May 16th, 2014 at 9:01 pm said:

This is what music games should of been like from the beginning.

+ jcgoodekillz on May 17th, 2014 at 11:47 am said:

is it free

+ Rezolution77 on May 18th, 2014 at 10:04 am said:

Looks fun…….., for about five minutes.

If it were better made, it might have caught my interest.

I will do some review searching after release to see if I was wrong.

The Vita is not a mobile device, keep this up, and I will just switch to a phone.

+ Rezolution77 on May 18th, 2014 at 10:08 am said:

Guess what I meant to say was a mobile phone.

Portable gaming, not Iphone.

+ Nebakanezr on May 21st, 2014 at 11:52 am said:

I’m a musician and composer. I would love to be a part of this!! I cant wait!!