Bloodborne

Bridging Generations in Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark on PS4 and PS3

Andy Owen's Avatar + Posted by Andy Owen on Jun 04, 2014 // Lead Producer, Activision

2014 marks thirty years since giant, sentient robots from outer space brought their ancient war to our world and changed the way we look at the common, everyday tractor trailer.

When Hasbro asked us to play a role in ushering in the Transformers franchise’s fourth decade with a new video game, we knew paying respect to that tradition — that shared history — had to be central to the experience we delivered.

That mission statement became Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark, a third-person action adventure game that crosses the cosmos, intersecting with Generation One, Paramount Pictures’ live-action films, and Activision’s Cybertron titles to bridge these storied worlds for the very first time.

The hunt for the illusive and catastrophic Dark Spark — the calamitous counterpart to the Matrix of Leadership, capable of bending the universe to the user’s will — is one which will launch players through the fabric of time and space. The vulnerable human communities of Earth in the present and the war-torn, industrial labyrinths of Cybertron’s shattered past will each play prominently throughout the adventure.

Transformers: Rise of the Dark SparkTransformers: Rise of the Dark Spark

With thirty years of characters to look back on, we’re doing our best to deliver more affirmative responses to the most common question we always hear: “Is my favorite Transformers character in the game?” The roster this time around includes more than forty playable characters across Campaign and co-op Escalation modes. In the spirit of linking two unrelated Transformers continuities, we’ve unified player progression across both modes, so all the customizable advances and loadout options you obtain playing one part of the game will carry over to make you stronger in the other.

Escalation mode has evolved in some exciting ways, with more defensive, tactical tools to play with, as well as — finally — special mini-boss fights against recognizable Power Foes from the cast.

Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark lands on PS4 and PS3 June 24th, just in time for the arrival of Transformers: Age of Extinction in theaters. We’ll be keeping an eye on your questions and comments below, but feel free to join the discussion with other Transformers fans on our Facebook page, where we’ll have more details to share as we get closer to release. Thanks for reading!

20 Comments

+ gerneric123 on June 4th, 2014 at 6:37 am said:

I hear 3DS is getting a SRPG made by Wayforward. It would’ve been nice to see that on Vita …

+ Brooklyn008 on June 4th, 2014 at 6:41 am said:

I’m in! Looks like a sweet deal.

+ lark1000 on June 4th, 2014 at 7:36 am said:

Mixing the movie with the Cybertron/G1 storylines sounds awesome but I cant see how it will work without some kind of multidimensional way of doing it. If it works out, thats great but I really nervous that it wont since it doesnt look like High Moon studios is involved this time and they seemed passionate about keeping the G1 storyline as authentic as they could in the first 2 games

+ CaruthK on June 4th, 2014 at 7:56 am said:

This looks very interesting I must say. I have been a fan of Transformers since I was a kid. I’m 30 years old now & I still look at it & feel like the little boy watching it all over again.
I’ll keep my eyes out for this one…

+ AriesWarlock on June 4th, 2014 at 7:57 am said:

Hey @Andy Owen

I don’t really like the designs of the movies. I would really like to see TF games based on the IDW comics.

Anyway, hope one day we can play with some real monsters like Overlord, Sixshot (he’s got six transformations, wouldn’t that be cool in a game!!), and Tarn please.

+ Mando44646 on June 4th, 2014 at 7:58 am said:

Why ruin the fantastic Cybertron games with crappy Bayformers? I would have *instantly* bought a 3rd full Cybertron game. I *might* buy this game after a price drop and decent reviews. Sorry, I dont want to crappy movies to ruin the great games

+ DragonNinja789 on June 4th, 2014 at 8:17 am said:

Cool. I enjoyed the first two cybertron games.

+ ten3ightyHD on June 4th, 2014 at 8:30 am said:

I loved the last two Cybertron games and was looking forward to the Transformers arrival on earth in the next game. However, I must say no High Moon Studios and combining these worlds with the Michael Bay movies have killed my enthusiasm for this game. I’m definitely taking a wait and see attitude as I do not have much faith in this game being good. Sorry.

+ ghostofzaft on June 4th, 2014 at 9:00 am said:

Loved the first two Cybertron games, but to echo, holding off for now b/c of no High Moon Studios involvement. Huge TF fan, but i’ll wait and see with the others.

+ fivexl on June 4th, 2014 at 9:12 am said:

If ths had been a High Moon game with the design of the Cybertron games instead of the movies, I would have this game preordered by now. I’ll definitely be waiting.

+ Doctor-1997 on June 4th, 2014 at 9:57 am said:

Will many of the voice cast from the previous games be returning?

+ Miggy11 on June 4th, 2014 at 10:24 am said:

No competitive multiplayer and no High Moon Studios, means no buy from me.

+ PorkPro on June 4th, 2014 at 10:36 am said:

I cannot fathom why High Moon was passed over for this game. Fall of Cybertron was what I consider a modern day Transformers classic. I have some interest in this game simply because it’s Transformers, but if High Moon was behind it, I would have already pre-ordered it.

+ tusunami on June 4th, 2014 at 2:01 pm said:

Well I have never played the first two tf games so I’m not to interested since the other two games were sub-par in the reviews. But this will be interesting to ow this fares because if this is a movie tie unlike spiderman2 this will be epic failure just like that game.

+ cnx2022 on June 4th, 2014 at 2:28 pm said:

No, Highmoon studios? Crossing over with Michael Bay movies? WHY???? The Cybertron series were truly awesome. I loved both those games. true contemporary classic those two last games. But just even looking at those characters in the trailer, they looked really stupid.

Will not be getting this at launch, will keep an eye on reviews, and maybe, just maybe get it at drastic price drops.

Devs and publishers simply go and fix what really ain’t broke.

+ RipTide94 on June 4th, 2014 at 2:46 pm said:

Will it be a cross-buy?

+ Brandonlee2131 on June 4th, 2014 at 3:00 pm said:

I love it please get this game out on time. Playstation store is overrun with indie crap and the ps4 sections at retail stores has barely anything to offer that wasnt already released on ps3 or that i dont already have.

+ Viewtiful_Gene on June 4th, 2014 at 8:23 pm said:

Videogames based on movies?
Haha no thanks.
Videogames based on movies published by Activision?
No. Just no.

+ WrekGar on June 4th, 2014 at 9:54 pm said:

As a long time fan of Transformers and if you know them you will know that my PSN ID is 1 of their names. with that said I don’t see the Michael Bay movies as being bad. Just because he doesn’t use the exact story line of the original G1 cartoon and comics people think they are so awful. The movies are made based off of the current comics and Japanese story lines and made for the new generation of kids, so stop hating and look at them from that perspective. From what I gather this game really only uses the characters from the movie not the story there in lies the “merging”. So pre-order is paid and I will be picking this up DAY 1 for the PS4.

+ spacemanandrew on June 5th, 2014 at 4:11 pm said:

might pick it up, hopefully it will maintain more players than the past two if i do
and healing better not be super op this time around in escalation